HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

2013 Caps Trade Deadline Thread III (The Filip Forsberg Kerfuffle)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2013, 10:24 AM
  #76
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,550
vCash: 500
I liked Forsberg's game a lot. His skating looks not so impressive but that's something he can probably improve on. He has excellent playmaking abilities, and his shooting and vision are great. Looking like a bad trade for the Caps so far. +/- is overrated and it doesn't take into account his PP minutes.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
  #77
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
He's a righty

He's a prospect

He's not tough enough.

Etc, etc.

I wonder if Lawton was dumb not to trade stamkos for marleau when all those applied to him as well. And marleau was actually a good player at the time too.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:42 AM
  #78
Roughing
Registered User
 
Roughing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Frederick, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i hope the kid has a good career. the freak out over him is a hoot. i bet next season post olympics when kuznetsov shows up, i bet there is no such attention. i bet caps fans barely notice. i bet the national hockey media cares less. kuznetsov could start with a goal and an assist in a win and nothing will come of it.
The Caps play a crappy team that game.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:57 AM
  #79
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i hope the kid has a good career. the freak out over him is a hoot. i bet next season post olympics when kuznetsov shows up, i bet there is no such attention. i bet caps fans barely notice. i bet the national hockey media cares less. kuznetsov could start with a goal and an assist in a win and nothing will come of it.
Might be hard to do after he's traded for Kyle wellwood and patrice Cormier.

But hey, proven nhlers! Tough prospects! Woohoo!

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:59 AM
  #80
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Not sure why we should have a thread about another team's player making his NHL debut.
hating on our own team is just about this forum's #1 pass time. so pining over a traded player is main course here. you didnt know that? too bad the kid's first game wasnt as good as ovechkin's.
can you imagine if ovechkin's first game had been a national tv game. checking a guy thru the glass on his first shift. scoring a goal in his first period and so on.....but hell....crosby had a secondary assist that night and the news cycle was full.

had forsberg done that last night, someone from here would have ambushed mcphee with an ar15 coming out of his house this morning. no?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  #81
AlexBrovechkin8
Registered User
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
I don't know what happened on the other goal but he was nowhere near the first one. He also had some great takeaways and created several scoring chances, whether or not those show up in the stats.

Bottom line is the 18 year old kid got off a plane and was instantly dangerous in an NHL game. This makes me scratch my head regarding what I've heard about the Caps scouts.

Again, anyone see anything that would make the Caps scouts go sour on him??
No offense Goon but you're 100% wrong on this. Forsberg turned the puck over on a poor clearing attempt and they scored 15 seconds later. Not saying anything bad about the kid; he looked good but facts is facts.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:02 AM
  #82
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Might be hard to do after he's traded for Kyle wellwood and patrice Cormier.

But hey, proven nhlers! Tough prospects! Woohoo!
nice spin.

forsberg=kuznetsov. nice.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:22 AM
  #83
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Not sure why we should have a thread about another team's player making his NHL debut.
So the people have something meaningless to wring their hands over?

It's like the Semin fans (hell, might even be the same crowd).....can't just let it go. FF is dead to me....he's no longer a Caps prospect and even if he does good, worrying about him is pointless.

__________________
George McPhee....The Teflon GM. 15 years of failure and counting....

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:41 AM
  #84
IafrateOvie34
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah I noticed that too but really they didn't have much to pump the game about. Nashville normally isn't a very sexy teams and whatever skill they have is totally injured. Forsberg was about the only thing interesting they could talk about when it came to them.

Kid looked good but they did thrust him into a very visible position getting prime ice time.
I thought he looked good too and the only reason I watched the game honestly. Hopefully, we won't see pages and pages for years on end about this guy though.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:50 AM
  #85
HSHS
Losing is a disease
 
HSHS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Redondo Beach, Ca
Country: United States
Posts: 17,633
vCash: 500
Hating that McPhee is the GM of the Caps today, yesterday, or the day before is all the same. The trade smells just as much.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:52 AM
  #86
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Even without the trade, when you have an 18 year old fly into the country one day and the meet the team and play on national television the next, it's impressive. And for the most part he looked pretty damn comfortable and even aggressive/good out there.
That set of circumstances could lead just as easily to over-performance as to under-performance. Not that his skills aren't his skills...just saying.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:07 PM
  #87
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,663
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IafrateOvie34 View Post
I thought he looked good too and the only reason I watched the game honestly. Hopefully, we won't see pages and pages for years on end about this guy though.
I really wouldn't mind. I hope it works out similair to the Nieuwendyk/Iginla trade way back when. Win Win.

Too many people here with an axe to grind who don't see this as a possibility.

We had too many RW and needed a LW. We got a good one in addition to a prospect. With Laich going down it gives more value to Erat in my eyes. I believe we have a chance this year but that it would be less of a chance without Erat.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:20 PM
  #88
AlexBrovechkin8
Registered User
 
AlexBrovechkin8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Old Town, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,883
vCash: 500
I saw what I thought I'd saw; a young player with the right tools and potential to be a good-to-very good player in this League. He made some good plays, and some mistakes, which was to be expected. I hope he does well as he seems like a solid individual.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:24 PM
  #89
Halpysback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 7,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
nice spin.

forsberg=kuznetsov. nice.
Well they both can't skate, are soft and not what the caps are looking for at center, and the scouts hate them. At least that's what McPhee is/will be selling should their playoffs chances look to be in jeopardy next season, anyway.

Don't worry, you'll have even more straw to stuff come next year's deadline when they can't beat up on the southeast anymore.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:32 PM
  #90
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBrovechkin8 View Post
No offense Goon but you're 100% wrong on this. Forsberg turned the puck over on a poor clearing attempt and they scored 15 seconds later. Not saying anything bad about the kid; he looked good but facts is facts.

Ok, didn't see the turnover, just the replay of the goal, but I'll take your word for it. But those happen, and scoring 15 seconds later isn't something you can just pin on the guy who made a bad clear because that's PLENTY of time for the entire team to adjust and make a play. It's not like he blew coverage on a guy who scored the goal, though. Point being, the stats don't tell the whole story.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:33 PM
  #91
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
That set of circumstances could lead just as easily to over-performance as to under-performance. Not that his skills aren't his skills...just saying.
Ok. But considering how highly ranked he was, and how coveted he was, what are the chances he was over-performing? And how many 18 year olds in the world could do that?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:34 PM
  #92
caps4cup
Dynasty
 
caps4cup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 4,659
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Ok, didn't see the turnover, just the replay of the goal, but I'll take your word for it. But those happen, and scoring 15 seconds later isn't something you can just pin on the guy who made a bad clear because that's PLENTY of time for the entire team to adjust and make a play. It's not like he blew coverage on a guy who scored the goal, though. Point being, the stats don't tell the whole story.
It was more like 3-5 seconds actually. He turned it over to the D, then it went to the other D, then a shot, rebound off the boards, and goal.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:38 PM
  #93
dogit
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
vCash: 500
I just saw a few minutes of the game, and FF's play understandably had a "deer in the headlights" look to it.

Positives---seemed responsible defensively.

Negative---had a ***looking stride when trying to accelerate from a standing stop along the boards. looked like a person trying to run on ball bearings. saw it twice.

dogit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:42 PM
  #94
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 7,527
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
Ok. But considering how highly ranked he was, and how coveted he was, what are the chances he was over-performing? And how many 18 year olds in the world could do that?
Yeah, I mean, I'm not really disagreeing. "Over-performing" was probably the wrong way to put it. It's like when guys come up from the AHL and look great in their first games, jacked up on adrenaline and excited to be in the NHL. I'm not saying that's what happened, but just that it's as possible as the circumstances having a negative effect. Basically, the point is just that we can't conclude much of anything after one game.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:46 PM
  #95
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
It was more like 3-5 seconds actually. He turned it over to the D, then it went to the other D, then a shot, rebound off the boards, and goal.
That goal? Good lord, that one shouldn't even have BEEN a goal. Not sure how anyone can pin that one on him or hold it against him, turnover or not. That was more a combination of a great pass/fluke bounce and bad recovery by Howard.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:48 PM
  #96
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 23,867
vCash: 50
Not mention that well documented ODD skating stride would have struggled on our verizon "ice" let's call it. Maybe the best thing to happen to him was to only play here as a visitor

Does our team have a disproportionate amount of groin injuries compared to other arena's?

Suds
Clark
Green
Poti
Varly
Laich

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:49 PM
  #97
g00n
Fire GMGM & Oates
 
g00n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Yeah, I mean, I'm not really disagreeing. "Over-performing" was probably the wrong way to put it. It's like when guys come up from the AHL and look great in their first games, jacked up on adrenaline and excited to be in the NHL. I'm not saying that's what happened, but just that it's as possible as the circumstances having a negative effect. Basically, the point is just that we can't conclude much of anything after one game.
Of course we can't make precise conclusions about how his career will go, but we can make observations and projections. Some will be more accurate than others. And when you talk about prospects, you talk about their potential and their skillset and how they hold up in new situations. Otherwise, what else is there to do but throw up your hands and say "who knows"? If that were the case then the only people who would ever talk about hockey (or any sport) would be statisticians.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:03 PM
  #98
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,078
vCash: 500
there's a lot of who knows to it. we treat olesky like a guy his age has to suck...so he sucks. was beagle drafted? he shouldnt be an nhl player and he is a solid one. it took him longer to grow into his game. the nhl system says you have to be good enough at 17 to be projected as an nhl player or you are lucky to get any shot at all.

martin st louis was claimed on waivers. everyone thought mcphee was a fool for passing on bryzgalov and holmgren a genious for snagging him. now bryz sits in the flyer fans schultz chair where they want him bought out and gone.

time will tell how this turns out. i just dont see the value in freaking out right now. i remember when there were many that cursed mcphee for trading oskar osala and stefan della rovere.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
  #99
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,078
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Well they both can't skate, are soft and not what the caps are looking for at center, and the scouts hate them. At least that's what McPhee is/will be selling should their playoffs chances look to be in jeopardy next season, anyway.

Don't worry, you'll have even more straw to stuff come next year's deadline when they can't beat up on the southeast anymore.


doom....so, you are predicting the caps an also ran next season. yes? ................. and...what if this doom doesnt happen?

btw...you do realize that the caps are currently second in the conference that will be in place next season. only the penguins are ahead of them.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:09 PM
  #100
ChibiPooky
Moderator
Caps/Avs/Bills fan
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,484
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Not mention that well documented ODD skating stride would have struggled on our verizon "ice" let's call it. Maybe the best thing to happen to him was to only play here as a visitor

Does our team have a disproportionate amount of groin injuries compared to other arena's?

Suds
Clark
Green
Poti
Varly
Laich
Don't forget Vokoun.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.