HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Fraser

Old
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
MoeMoney

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RtooDtu View Post
Who am i forgetting? I made a slight edit to my post. I dont think Fraser is a top2 defenceman.
No one said he is, he has a role and does it well. You can't ask more from your number 5-6 guy.

MoeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:06 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Who am i forgetting? I made a slight edit to my post. I dont think Fraser is a top2 defenceman.
Phaneuf?

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:10 PM
RtooDtu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
Phaneuf?

This is what I added to my post,

"Fraser is a decent Dman but really, on a great day he is a top4 Dman. Most of the time he fills out the bottom6 very nicely. I would not be opposed to trading him and a few prospects for top2 physical, stay at home defenceman that will pass the puck to Phanuf who will take it out of our zone."

Trading him, putting Obrian with Franson for the bottom6 would really round things out very nicely.

Phaneuf - (someone we trade for)
Gards - Gunnarson
Franson - OByrne

RtooDtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:11 PM
mcleex

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
Just thought I would share this here for those interested... a HNIC piece on Fraser's roots.

Seems like a stand-up guy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1oD8BznMRk
Thanks for posting that man, good video

mcleex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:13 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:

"Fraser is a decent Dman but really, on a great day he is a top4 Dman. Most of the time he fills out the bottom6 very nicely. I would not be opposed to trading him and a few prospects for top2 physical, stay at home defenceman that will pass the puck to Phanuf who will take it out of our zone."

Trading him, putting Obrian with Franson for the bottom6 would really round things out very nicely.

Gards - Gunnarson
Franson - OByrne
You aren't getting a top pairing Dman for Fraser and a couple prospects unless one of those prospects is Morgan Rielly... and you're still probably only to get a guy who is borderline top-pairing material.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:19 PM
legendinblue
NHL in Seattle

Fraser does his job perfectly, so let's trade him.

Okay.

legendinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:13 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:

Gards - Gunnarson
Franson - OByrne
Fraser is a must-keep. However, I think the days he may appear top 4 is when Franson plays well. That guy offensively-speaking is a top 4 defensiveman. However, despite his size, he's horrible defensively. Point bring, Fraser to me is a good, tough, bottom pairing guy. We need that.

Ideally

Phaneuf - Top guy
Gardiner - Reilly
Fraser - O'Byrne
X

Could just keep Franson due to his puck moving abilities. That would be difficult defensive pairings to play against. The Gardiner - Reilly pairing would thrive with Phaneuf going against the top offensive opposition, and Fraser- O'Byrne wearing out the opposition. Franson, a depth puck mover would probably see high offensive production as well.

This team could be top 2 in the conference imo.

The_Chosen_One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:17 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Fraser has been one of our best defenseman this season. Good shut-down guy that fights and hits.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:20 PM
JackJ

Carlye prefers pairing an offensive D with a defensive D. Gardiner would replace Liles, Franson or an injured D.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Trading Fraser would be stupid. He is exactly what we need on our bottom pair and can fight if needed (we don't always have to dress goons).

Also, it's a dumb idea to move Franson to the Left Side. We all know how that fared last year ... He's strictly a RD

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:28 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Carlye prefers pairing an offensive D with a defensive D. Gardiner would replace Liles, Franson or an injured D.
True. The Fraser - O'Byrne pairing would be more utilized during the playoffs. I can imagine forgoing his preference, because he did with the Ducks. A tight game may require two guys who can shut down plays. It's even better if two pairings can do that.

Regular season

Phaneuf - Reilly
Gardiner - Top pairing guy
Frason - Fraser
O'Byrne

As for how we're going to get the top pairing guy, it's possible. A number of teams are tanking and we're quite deep. I think it'd be much more easier than acquiring a #1 C which is more of a luxury than need at the moment.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:30 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
You aren't getting a top pairing Dman for Fraser and a couple prospects unless one of those prospects is Morgan Rielly... and you're still probably only to get a guy who is borderline top-pairing material.
We just need a mobile defensiveman that can play top 2. Must say, it's ironic that we need someone like Luke Schenn.

Old
04-15-2013, 06:36 PM
JackJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Chosen_One View Post
True. The Fraser - O'Byrne pairing would be more utilized during the playoffs. I can imagine forgoing his preference, because he did with the Ducks. A tight game may require two guys who can shut down plays. It's even better if two pairings can do that.

Regular season

Phaneuf - Reilly
Gardiner - Top pairing guy
Frason - Fraser
O'Byrne

As for how we're going to get the top pairing guy, it's possible. A number of teams are tanking and we're quite deep. I think it'd be much more easier than acquiring a #1 C which is more of a luxury than need at the moment.
Wouldn't hold my breath on Rielly anytime soon. Like Gardiner he has a lot to learn about defensive hockey.

JackJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:58 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:

Gards - Gunnarson
Franson - OByrne
Do you know the handedness of any of these defensemen?

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:59 PM
NoTouchIcing

Quote:
We just need a mobile defensiveman that can play top 2. Must say, it's ironic that we need someone like Luke Schenn.
I've been thinking this for the last little while. We could definitely use him.

NoTouchIcing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
ITM
As Long As It Takes

Fraser has done nothing to merit trade discussion.

Low maintenance guys like him have roles beyond the dollar or point value attributed to them. When you have right fit, right situation, what is that worth? What are the chances that we find another Fraser that fits so well with Franson?

Chemistry has to count at some point, and Fraser is perfect in his role, on this club and with his partner.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:17 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
Wouldn't hold my breath on Rielly anytime soon. Like Gardiner he has a lot to learn about defensive hockey.
I agree. It's just that Carlyle likes a pair with one defensive and offensive dmen. If Reilly is a problem, swap him with Gardiner, and we're set. The primary shut down pairing would be Phaneuf and the new guy, however.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:36 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

vCash: 1550
Quote:
I actually loved Luke Schenn in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform, but since when is Schenn considered a "mobile defensiveman" (what is that anyways, it's a defensive defenseman*).

Two of Schenn's main faults were his lack of foot speed and poor decisions in the defensive zone.

HockeyThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Smif

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post
I actually loved Luke Schenn in a Toronto Maple Leafs uniform, but since when is Schenn considered a "mobile defensiveman" (what is that anyways, it's a defensive defenseman*).

Two of Schenn's main faults were his lack of foot speed and poor decisions in the defensive zone.
I think Schenn could've thrived in our current system. C'mon, think about it, his entire NHL career he had Ron Wilson as his coach, who wouldn't be messed up...

Smif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:59 PM
The_Chosen_One

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyThoughts View Post

Schenn is pretty darn young. He's going to improve in that regard and become a mobile defensiveman. The guy is the best defensive defenceman on the Flyers.

I don't think we require a defensive pylon. Fraser, O'Byrne are more than sufficient.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Alexanderthe89

Absolutely love Fraser. His puck-handling has surprised me, very capable and makes solid outlet passes.

Alexanderthe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
blueNwhite89

Another gem from Mr. Burke.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:00 PM
JimLaheyprobert

Fraser is going no where, He is a perfect 5th or 6th defense men in Carlyle system, Plus Carlyle loves what he brings to the table. Hes plus 17, great fighter and sticks up for his team mates, and he keeps it simple. I like Gardiner but he is a turn over machine, if it wasnt for NJ's ****** goal scoring and James rymier standing on his head, we should of lost this game off Gardiners turnovers alone.

JimLaheyprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:03 PM
goleafsgo88

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeMoney View Post
I know Reimer wouldn't be happy if he's out of the lineup, he's like his bodyguard out there, when the play stops he stands over Reimer and just looks around to see if anyone wants to cause any trouble for James. Fraser is a definite keeper, great pickup.
Rec'd. it is a big confidence booster for Reimer and Fraser can always be counted on to be the first one there. I bet they play a lot in the postseason; Carlyle seems to trust them over the "second pairing"

goleafsgo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:05 PM
The Winter Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLblue75 View Post
Another gem from Mr. Burke.
I think this one is more Nonis or perhaps both Burke/Nonis get credit for this one.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote