HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Filip Forsberg

View Poll Results: Where should he be sent
NHL 62 57.94%
AHL Milwaukee(Gain experience in Calder Cup playoffs) 45 42.06%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-15-2013, 12:29 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Sure.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Byrddog

Theres little reason to keep FF in Nashville right now. Send him to the Ads where he can make a difference he could be the player that could put the ADs in the playoffs. He would have the AHL plyoff experience and come time for camp he may not need a month or so in Milwaukee before getting here for good.

He made his debut now let him help the farm team, lord knows we have ***** them this year.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:12 PM
jlsg

if we send Forsberg to the Ads then we have to call up someone else, so therefore why not keep him here. Let him play his 5 games then send him down. The experience will be invaluable. It give the staff a good chance to see what he can do and think about where he starts the season next year.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Byrddog

It is difficult to access talent on the Preds right now. The majority of the forwards are on the feebale list. Milwaukee has a shot to make the playoffs and FF could help them. If we need a filler they can send one of there fouth liners, for that matter Beck should be the only one that should stay here. The NHL season makes little difference and while getting some NHL time for them is a good thing you can not really evaluate these guys fairly when half the roster is AHL guys. It is sensless to to even make a decision on them. If it were a couple guys mixed in with the veterans it is possible but expecting Watson to prove hes worthy of a spot on the 4th line is impossible, this could be the reason he has been pretty much invisable. This could do more harm to these players than whats its worth. And AHL playoff experience is valuable. If FF stays here and sets one game to protecrt his rookie status next year and the Ad's miss the playoffs all we have done is give him a few games. Whereas he could push the Ad's to playoffs where anything is possible and we have little doubt he will be in Nashville at some point next year be it the first of the year or Christmas.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:33 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
It is difficult to access talent on the Preds right now. The majority of the forwards are on the feebale list. Milwaukee has a shot to make the playoffs and FF could help them. If we need a filler they can send one of there fouth liners, for that matter Beck should be the only one that should stay here. The NHL season makes little difference and while getting some NHL time for them is a good thing you can not really evaluate these guys fairly when half the roster is AHL guys. It is sensless to to even make a decision on them. If it were a couple guys mixed in with the veterans it is possible but expecting Watson to prove hes worthy of a spot on the 4th line is impossible, this could be the reason he has been pretty much invisable. This could do more harm to these players than whats its worth. And AHL playoff experience is valuable. If FF stays here and sets one game to protecrt his rookie status next year and the Ad's miss the playoffs all we have done is give him a few games. Whereas he could push the Ad's to playoffs where anything is possible and we have little doubt he will be in Nashville at some point next year be it the first of the year or Christmas.

The problem with your scenario is it would still leave Milwaukee short on players. If Milwaukee's playoff chances is what you are worried about, then we might as well just send all the Ads players back down and call up Bettman and let him know we forfeit these remaining games due to lack of players.

The Preds are only worried about 1 thing and that is their own team, they use the other team to develop their players and call them up when needed, which is the case now. 7 players out injured. NHL team comes first.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:35 PM
jlsg

you don't need top players around you in order for an NHL level coach to see what you can do. In a perfect world Beck might be the only one here, but if we send the rest back then we'll be dressing 10-12 players for the game tonight.
From a coaching standpoint it's not the players on the line that matter, it's the opposition. I guarantee you the staff will learn much more about Forsberg watching him play against the Sedins then if you send him to the Ads and he plays against sub par opposition.

FWIW Watson isn't worthy of a 4th line spot yet. It's pretty obvious and I don't care what line he plays on.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:36 PM
RomanEmpire

I don't understand why people think it would hurt having Forsberg in Nashville as long as we don't burn a year off of his ELC.

NHL experience > AHL experience.

RomanEmpire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
you don't need top players around you in order for an NHL level coach to see what you can do. In a perfect world Beck might be the only one here, but if we send the rest back then we'll be dressing 10-12 players for the game tonight.
From a coaching standpoint it's not the players on the line that matter, it's the opposition. I guarantee you the staff will learn much more about Forsberg watching him play against the Sedins then if you send him to the Ads and he plays against sub par opposition.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post
I don't understand why people think it would hurt having Forsberg in Nashville as long as we don't burn a year off of his ELC.

Exactly

Old
04-15-2013, 01:57 PM
predfan24

I thought Forsberg's legs were heavy but that's to be expected I assume he's played a lot of hockey this year then he flies in on a long flight, has one practice and plays Sunday. That's too be expected. He doesn't look like a dynamic skater but I think he will be fine.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Byrddog

They may well be able to evaluate skating passing and other basic skills. But when it comes to things that matter abilities to pass or press the play forward alone is limited when your on the ice with lesser players. If the team had Wilson Borque Horni on the roster now I would not argue one bit to keeping him on the big team. But putting an 18 year old out there to get eat up be the Sedines when he can just be crushed proves nothing. You can bet Vancouver knows this kid is on the radar. Its not that hard for opposing coaches to roll lines against the Preds top line that includes FF now. Sure it may be valuable to see how the kid reacts. I just believe it would better to ensure the Ad's make the playoffs and he is able to have more games in North America this season and prepair for next.

The Ad's know what they have in the rest of the players we have up here now. If they need some back send them to extend them to playoffs. It would not only help FF but the other players also. And if we send them back and the send us AHL 4th liners to finish here who really cares. The chances of winning more games in Nashville this year are slim. experience in North America for FF is valuable for next year. In camp he will be put on a line with guys back from injury theres plenty of preseason games to decide if he needs to start in the AHL next year. This year is toast here give FF every chance to come in next year flawless and start fresh.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:32 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanEmpire View Post

That's always been my argument.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:35 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
That's always been my argument.
Please pass that on to Crag Smith

Old
04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
They may well be able to evaluate skating passing and other basic skills. But when it comes to things that matter abilities to pass or press the play forward alone is limited when your on the ice with lesser players. If the team had Wilson Borque Horni on the roster now I would not argue one bit to keeping him on the big team. But putting an 18 year old out there to get eat up be the Sedines when he can just be crushed proves nothing. You can bet Vancouver knows this kid is on the radar. Its not that hard for opposing coaches to roll lines against the Preds top line that includes FF now. Sure it may be valuable to see how the kid reacts. I just believe it would better to ensure the Ad's make the playoffs and he is able to have more games in North America this season and prepair for next.

The Ad's know what they have in the rest of the players we have up here now. If they need some back send them to extend them to playoffs. It would not only help FF but the other players also. And if we send them back and the send us AHL 4th liners to finish here who really cares. The chances of winning more games in Nashville this year are slim. experience in North America for FF is valuable for next year. In camp he will be put on a line with guys back from injury theres plenty of preseason games to decide if he needs to start in the AHL next year. This year is toast here give FF every chance to come in next year flawless and start fresh.

you remind me of an overprotective parent. FF9 will be fine.

CalleJAMkrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:40 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Quote:
Smith has had 2 years of college and a dominant WC performance under his belt. His invisibleness has nothing to do with his experience. Sophomore slump is a common term for a reason. I'd bet Smith bounces back next year.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:

I'm not sure what this means.

Preddownsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:42 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Byrd. Relax man. He's the best offensive prospect we have ever had outside Radulov. He's a special talent an getting these games under his belt are going to help him

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Smith has no where near the skill set that Forsberg has. Last night, IMO Forsberg was better than Smith.

Smith's development has seemed to have come to a crawling halt. When he played his 4 games in Milwaukee this season, he had 5 points, but that didn't seem to translate when he came back. He just doesn't have the skills. Honestly I think this could be in part due to Trotz. He probably would do much better under a different coach else where in the NHL.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:47 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
you remind me of an overprotective parent. FF9 will be fine.

Lol I have always been an overprotective parent. But I want FF to be more than alright I want him to step on the ice and be the difference maker right off not take years in the NHL to become a high caliber player like lets say Hartnell, or a mediocre player like Legwand. This kid can be special if the front office coaching staff and the fans let him. Heck hes 18 coming to a team with noone the same caliber of talent he has. Stamkos had 23 his first year but was between Vinny and St Louis and he had 51 his second year. We do not have that caliber players to bring FF along and he may well be the player that can pot 40 a year or more.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
CalleJAMkrok
Weber/Neal/Rinne

Luckily FF9 will only be playing in about 5 games this year. We dont know where he will start the next year. Id honestly imagine it'll be in the AHL unless he tears it up these next few games. Also you cannot compare FF9 to Stamkos.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
Luckily FF9 will only be playing in about 5 games this year. We dont know where he will start the next year. Id honestly imagine it'll be in the AHL unless he tears it up these next few games. Also you cannot compare FF9 to Stamkos.
id bet forsberg will be in Nashville next year. free agents arent going to sign here like usual.. him and our top draft pick have a good shot at making the team.

barkov/mackinnon with wilson and bourque
legwand with beck and hornqvist
fisher with forsberg and sk/smith/upgrade
gaustad/spaling with halischuk, yip, watson, mueller, clune, smith, butler

its abundantly clear we have a bunch of redundant scrubs on the bottom 6 that we can part ways with to free some salary or maybe get some late round picks in the draft. if we lose 4 of our next 5, i think you see a guy like barkov and forsberg in Nashville in the fall. we have enough under-skilled, up one line too much turds. throw the kids in the fire, can't hurt

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

correct me if Im wrong but the 5 game limit as far as his ELC applies to any pro games over here, so if we send him to the Ads we would burn a year.

I say play him five games here, send him home this summer with a to-do list, and then if after camp next year he needs to go to Milwaukee, send him then

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:48 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I see no issue keeping him here. Our scouts know what they are doing. Lack of talented linemates leads to a more difficult evaluation of skill set? Pekka Rinne was scouted in freakin' warm ups. It is about the player, not the ones around him.

04-15-2013, 04:15 PM
hdw

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
I thought Forsberg's legs were heavy but that's to be expected I assume he's played a lot of hockey this year then he flies in on a long flight, has one practice and plays Sunday. That's too be expected. He doesn't look like a dynamic skater but I think he will be fine.
Add 6 hour jetlag to that flight and a differently sized rink.

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:34 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
I see great value in letting him play at least the 2 at home - I mean, we traded Erat for him. Might not mean a ton to the casual fan, but for those that are more "enthusiastic" it's good to see him skate.

He didn't get eaten up by PD and HZ last night and maybe he won't by the Sedins - I would think that's a good thing for the coaching staff to know *IF* there is any chance of him opening the season in Nashville next year.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:48 PM
thecloser

Dear God. FF9 has only had one opportunity to show anything and some guys want to immediately **** on him. He wasn't gonna come in and pull datsyuk dangle's for 3 periods and then score 4 goals. Give him a break.

It's important he gets NHL experience, not AHL experience where there are still a short of players just like we are. As an organization we are just in a bad spot with all the injuries and the play that we have had. FF9 needs to get some games under his belt so we can see what we need to build around him as well as what he is capable of.

FF9 in nashville, no where else.

thecloser is offline   Reply With Quote