HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Atlantic Division preview

Old
08-27-2006, 08:13 PM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Atlantic Division preview

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9619779

DarthSather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2006, 08:59 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Doesnt say a whole lot that we didn't know already, but thanks for the link!

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:01 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Doesnt say a whole lot that we didn't know already,
I didn't know Malkin can't be signed or I got it wrong?

Quote:
Malkin is in the States now, yet he remains a political pawn for Russian hockey officials looking to negotiate high transfer fees for their best talent and cannot sign immediately with Pittsburgh.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 08:33 AM
Levitate

well...I think in theory he needs to be a FA before he can sign with the Pens and his status on that is still up in the air.

anyways, Atlantic division seems to be up for grabs to me again this year. If New Jersey can keep up the play they had at the end of last year (which may depend on Gionta's status) then they'll definitely be in the running...but I'm a little wary. Plus, another new coach...we'll see how he fits with the team (or how long it takes him to get fired and Lou to promote someone else or take over himself again).

Flyers...kin dof a question mark. They have some good young players and a great player in Forsberg...but health and defense are going to be a concern, and I'm not entirely sold on Nitty.

Isles...theoretically they should be a bit better than last year, if for no other reason than they changed things up and got a little tougher, but probably aren't looking at a playoff spot.

Pens will be annoying to play against, but still lack a consistant defense (both team and on the blueline). Fleury will need to prove he is ready to step up the consistancy and whether or not Malkin is playing could make a big difference in how big of a spoiler role they'll be playing (I don't think they'll be making the playoffs, but could be starting to put it together).

Rangers...well we know the Rangers. It depends on how well things come together again. The lineup is improved over last year, but the chemistry needs to still be there in order for the team to succeed. If the chemistry is still there, I think we'll see the Rangers fighting the Devils again for the division championship, with the Flyers behind them.

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 09:01 AM
94now

Fair. I don't think Isles turmoil will necessary result in failure. They are good on paper. Their Bridgeport team is rather gonna be terrible as a reflection of Wang's intrusions, but I don't see Nolan loosing the opportunity to re-establish himself... He's got players.

Old
08-28-2006, 09:23 AM
True Blue

If the Isles players do not allow themselves to be distracted, they can contend for a playoff spot. If Ricky D. takes a step forward in his development and Cashin plays to anywhere near his ability level, they will be even better. However, the former is far more likely than the latter.

The Devs will not be as good as last year's version (see the multitude of threads on the topic) but they will still be excellent and will contend for the top billing in the conference.

I think that the Flyers have made the most improvement and a healthy Forseberg will be the biggest addition in the division. Their forwards are an overall faster, more talented group. The weakness is still mediocre (IMO) goaltending and a slower defense (although quite physical). If the goaltending straightens itself out, they will challenge the Devs (at least until the playoffs).

The Rangers have also improved, but the same questions remain. Can an improved (although only slightly better than last year's very pedestrian group) defense actually help Henke this year, and not rely on him bailing them out on a nightly basis? Will Prucha and Henke take another step forward? Can this team play with just a hint of discipline? For just how long can Malik & Rozsival masquerade as a top-pairing duo?

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 03:17 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
If the Isles players do not allow themselves to be distracted, they can contend for a playoff spot. If Ricky D. takes a step forward in his development and Cashin plays to anywhere near his ability level, they will be even better. However, the former is far more likely than the latter.

The Devs will not be as good as last year's version (see the multitude of threads on the topic) but they will still be excellent and will contend for the top billing in the conference.

I think that the Flyers have made the most improvement and a healthy Forseberg will be the biggest addition in the division. Their forwards are an overall faster, more talented group. The weakness is still mediocre (IMO) goaltending and a slower defense (although quite physical). If the goaltending straightens itself out, they will challenge the Devs (at least until the playoffs).

The Rangers have also improved, but the same questions remain. Can an improved (although only slightly better than last year's very pedestrian group) defense actually help Henke this year, and not rely on him bailing them out on a nightly basis? Will Prucha and Henke take another step forward? Can this team play with just a hint of discipline? For just how long can Malik & Rozsival masquerade as a top-pairing duo?
Thats my main question, Malik I can deal with, he is OK IMO. But Rozsival's stupid penalty's caused more than one goal against on a hook, or a trip, just sloppy un diciplined plays. To me thats the real question mark as far as D goes,how will he play this season, yes he did have a solid +/- record last season but,thats only because he was mostly out with the number 1 unit. I think overall though the Rangers are pretty solid through and through, and have alot of cap space to make moves in a pinch. I think they should fair well again this season, and hey, maybe we'll win a playoff game <-It was just a matter of time untill a fan from another team said somthing to that effect

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 03:27 PM
94now

Rangers didn't play in last playoffs. They forfeited all four games.

Old
08-28-2006, 04:41 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
You sound like a Devil fan

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Another preview

Quote:
New York Rangers
On the spot: GM Glen Sather

Greatest needs: Dependable second-line scoring, a legitimate top-two defenseman.

Did he fill them? With more than $6 million left to spend, it's likely Sather isn't finished reworking the roster, but his moves so far point to a Rangers team that will further improve on their turnaround season of 2005-06.

Sather smartly signed UFAs Brendan Shanahan and Matt Cullen to anchor the second line, and along with sophomore winger Petr Prucha, they should combine to take pressure off Jaromir Jagr's first unit. Shanahan may not repeat his 40-goal effort of last season, but he's a great leader and should propel an already potent power play into the top five. Cullen's better suited for the third line, but he impressed with his speed and tenacity during the Hurricanes' Stanley Cup run. Adam Hall, acquired from Nashville, might benefit from the change in scenery, but he'll make minimal impact on the fourth line.

Veteran defender Aaron Ward isn't a top-two guy, but the UFA signing adds stability to a relatively undistinguished crew of backliners. Karel Rachunek, who spent 12 games with the Blueshirts in 2003-04, returns after spending two years in Europe. He could slip into the top four. Neither are exactly what the Rangers needed, but Slats definitely improved on the mix
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...rt.card/1.html

Old
08-28-2006, 04:44 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Are you kidding? I thought they played pretty hard considering the lack of talent after Jagr and all of the injuries.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 05:13 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
More than any other team, the Olympics adversely affected the Rangers. Nine Rangers went to Turin, including Jagr, goalie Henrik Lundqvist, Martin Straka, Martin Rucinsky and Darius Kasparaitis. OK, sure, all teams were adversely affected by the ridiculous schedule, tough travel and intense mental and physical tournament in the middle of the season.

Everybody has injuries at some point in the marathon. Still, some teams got better in the second half. Maybe the Rangers would have collapsed in the second half anyway. But it's impossible to ignore the Turin Effect when talking about last spring's quick exit on Broadway. The Rangers were tired. They were injured. They were mentally spent
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=120066

****ing Olympics

Old
08-28-2006, 05:45 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
The defense is always my top worry and you Got a point about the Malik/Roszival paring...I think they are best as a 2nd or 3rd pair..However , the bottom line is we really don't have the classic D-men for a top pair...BUT, if Tyutin's game keeps on improving and Kaspar stays healthy that gives us a pair (not a top pairing either) that can take more minutes away from Malik/Rosz..Same thing with the dependable Ward and most Probably Rachunek....Face it, it's going to have to be a team effort of the backline and Renney will hopefully give the most minutes to the pairing that is performing the best, whoever that is.....We shall see

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2006, 06:50 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
The Olympics hurt no doubt about it, they where on 5-6 game winning streak (somthing like that atleast). But as much as the olympics hurt, the roster was also a problem because the team wasnt set up for scoring from other lines. With Jagr tired, Lundqvist tired/injured,among other, there was no one to step up to lead, where was Rucchin, Sykora, etc, where were the guys who where going to lead this team. There was no fresh leaders to carry this team and take the burden of Jagr. That in my opinion was a major contributing factor to the Rangers untimely colapse after the Olympic break. I think the additions of Shanny and A.Ward, should help spread the burden of leadership throughout the ranks. Not to mention the scoring production that shanny is cappable of. Cullen and Hall should be good for some goals as well. All in all this team is built much better than it was last year. I dont mean to in any way put down the efforts of the guys last year, not by any means. But this team is IMO set up to win some playoff games. Will my prediction come true, who knows, but it looks good on paper.

Old
08-28-2006, 07:40 PM
shoothepuck

The Rangers have a much better team this year, and have bought into Renney's system, so they should play much better and win some playoff games this season.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 07:48 AM
natureboy*

Adam Hall, acquired from Nashville, might benefit from the change in scenery, but he'll make minimal impact on the fourth line.

Adam hall on the 4th line

natureboy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 10:25 AM
WheresBarnaby

Ward on the 3rd pairing? I'm thinking 2nd.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 11:16 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Ward on the 3rd pairing? I'm thinking 2nd.
Whichever way you cut it, this is a GOOD problem for the Rangers, having to decide whos moving down in the pairings instead of up. Ward is solid, but aging and i'm sure he can play in the top two, but its really up to what the coaching staff if they want to break up existing pairs, tinker with new ones, bring up new blood... im curious to see how that shakes out.

HockeyBasedNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2006, 11:32 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Are you kidding? I thought they played pretty hard considering the lack of talent after Jagr and all of the injuries.
They may have played hard but I have never seen a more lopsided playoff series.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2006, 04:20 PM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Whichever way you cut it, this is a GOOD problem for the Rangers, having to decide whos moving down in the pairings instead of up. Ward is solid, but aging and i'm sure he can play in the top two, but its really up to what the coaching staff if they want to break up existing pairs, tinker with new ones, bring up new blood... im curious to see how that shakes out.

Good point HBNYC, It's absolutely a great problem to have. It should make everyone work that much harder. I think we will see him in the top two for this season, based on experience alone. He should be a good leader and example to the new guy's.

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Good point HBNYC, It's absolutely a great problem to have. It should make everyone work that much harder. I think we will see him in the top two for this season, based on experience alone. He should be a good leader and example to the new guy's.
Hopefully give toots some pointers on throwing the body around a little.

Overall this years D should be better than last year, heck the entire team SHOULD be better than last year. They improved the foward lines and the D lines. Lunqvist should keep getting better and better, Weekes once he gets used to his back-up roll, should be better and better. Overall I think alot of the worries people are having for this year and a little unfounded. I expect the Rangers to win a playoff game this year