HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

New Arenas in the KHL-VHL-MHL

Old
03-31-2013, 02:40 AM
metmag

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
No no man, you got it wrong. That is not a render. It is Astana Arena football stadium for 30 000 seats, but you can see the site of the new hockey arena next to it. They started piling.
Ohhh gotcha!

metmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2013, 02:09 PM
airbus1094

vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by metmag View Post
That looks really nice! The roof looks retractable even?
I see from the render that it will be nowhere near the city core, that is somewhat of a concern. What is that little complex beside it?
Yes, the new stadium is to be built in a sports complex that has a football stadium, speed skating rink and cycling track. It's about 20 min bus ride from the city center, so it's not that far. In fact, it is probably easier to get to then the current stadium. Can't wait to get a real stadium instead of the thing we have now.

airbus1094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 09:36 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barys View Post
Yes, the new stadium is to be built in a sports complex that has a football stadium, speed skating rink and cycling track. It's about 20 min bus ride from the city center, so it's not that far. In fact, it is probably easier to get to then the current stadium. Can't wait to get a real stadium instead of the thing we have now.
Yes this is definitely exciting for all fans of the KHL.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:02 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
I don't think anyone has talked about this here nor anywhere else. With league more and more embracing physical hockey and with that potential arrival of trimmed size rinks I'm certain we need to introduce NHL boards to the rinks, these walls we currently have will become even more dangerous with lessened space. I know it will cost a fortune, but it would go a long way towards lessening serious injury risk.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:10 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
I don't think anyone has talked about this here nor anywhere else. With league more and more embracing physical hockey and with that potential arrival of trimmed size rinks I'm certain we need to introduce NHL boards to the rinks, these walls we currently have will become even more dangerous with lessened space. I know it will cost a fortune, but it would go a long way towards lessening serious injury risk.
yes, it will be done + NHL type of ice (white ice). KHL developing center is doing research

vorky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:36 AM
ozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
yes, it will be done + NHL type of ice (white ice). KHL developing center is doing research
Good to hear, it makes sense to introduce those boards with new the ice sizes as well, simply because old angled board joints won't work anymore, right?

Old
04-08-2013, 11:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Good to hear, it makes sense to introduce those boards with new the ice sizes as well, simply because old angled board joints won't work anymore, right?
I hope they dont reduce to NA sized rinks,i think the Finnish rink size would be the golden middleway.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:54 AM
ult

Quote:
No one talked about it because it's not a big deal. Traktor Arena has NA boards. It took them a couple of days to change them.

ult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I hope they dont reduce to NA sized rinks,i think the Finnish rink size would be the golden middleway.
As I know nobody from KHL leadership wants NHL rinks. If change, so only finnish

Old
04-08-2013, 09:00 PM
ozo

Quote:
No one talked about it because it's not a big deal. Traktor Arena has NA boards. It took them a couple of days to change them.
I'm not doubting that they are quickly put together (or else there would NHL specific arenas in NA ), I'm thinking how much they actually cost?

Old
04-09-2013, 10:12 AM
J Murda

vCash: 544
Out of curiosity, are there any local arenas at all in Russia/Europe that have North American dimensions or close to?

In Calgary here we have somewhere around 70 indoor sheets of ice for hockey(which I hear is about 12-15 less than we need), but I'd say something like 7-10 of them are international sized. There are a few midget, junior, college teams that use them as home rinks and clearly have a home ice advantage on them. For the most part they are designated to train for international events and college, so I am wondering if there are rinks there that have the same idea, but in reverse?

I'd also like to weigh in and say that most of these new KHL arenas look absolutely gorgeous.

J Murda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:27 AM
ult

Yes, old arena of Lada has a 26x60m rink. But one of the requirements for the new arenas is the ability to change rink dimension without any additional work besides adjusting dasher boards. After all it's much easier to make it smaller than the other way around.

Lada Arena, April 2013

Old
04-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Yes, old arena of Lada has a 26x60m rink. But one of the requirements for the new arenas is the ability to change rink dimension without any additional work besides adjusting dasher boards. After all it's much easier to make it smaller than the other way around.

Lada Arena, April 2013

Should be easy to go 28 meter wide rink next year then, like all the other KHL clubs.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:38 PM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:

Lada Arena, April 2013

are you sure these are April pics? I read somewhere they were going to complete the construction in May.

ViD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Count me among those who hope that they don't adopt NHL size rinks. One by-product of the smaller rink is the dump and chase style of hockey. It can't be avoided, because the smaller space precludes the sweeping attack fueled by beautiful combinational plays. The need for more physical force edges out the smaller, quicker player in favor of the big, heavy hitter. I understand that some people see hockey more as a sport of collisions than of speed and skill, but I am one who hopes that the KHL retains a more European flavor.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Count me among those who hope that they don't adopt NHL size rinks. One by-product of the smaller rink is the dump and chase style of hockey. It can't be avoided, because the smaller space precludes the sweeping attack fueled by beautiful combinational plays. The need for more physical force edges out the smaller, quicker player in favor of the big, heavy hitter. I understand that some people see hockey more as a sport of collisions than of speed and skill, but I am one who hopes that the KHL retains a more European flavor.
Like I said, they're going to 28 meter wide rinks after Sotshi.

Jussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:09 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
are you sure these are April pics? I read somewhere they were going to complete the construction in May.
Uhm, yes, otherwise I wouldn't have said it were April pics. And they still do plan to complete it before June.

And guys, please don't quote all images, just text is enough.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:51 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Vorky can you explain this to me? Is there any kind of ice other than white? And how is NHL type of ice different from KHL/european one?

Old
04-15-2013, 02:07 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Vorky can you explain this to me? Is there any kind of ice other than white? And how is NHL type of ice different from KHL/european one?
I am not expert, but I try to explain. It has something to do with new technologies. NHL is using ice which looks "more white" than ice in Europe.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:08 PM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Most of the rinks now paint the concrete plate itself with the white base color and general markings, then they make 1 layer of ice on which they lay down pieces of cloth with advertisements and logos and only after that they the make the final layer of ice. That's why most of the ice surface is of milky-white color, and advertisements have those distinctive white borders.

Most of the NHL teams use Jet Ice technology, when everything, including base white, marking and ads, is painted just below the top layer of ice.

But that's just basic concept, there are a lot of nuances with the ice itself.

KHL wants to make Jet Ice mandatory.

Last edited by ult: 04-16-2013 at 02:39 AM.
Old
04-15-2013, 02:17 PM
BalticWarrior

thanks ult and vorky,basically as i understand this new technology will make ice whiter and markings more visible,thus making quality of broadcast better,right?

Old
04-15-2013, 02:18 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Thanks ult for explanation.

I read a two or three months earlier that company Jet Ice showed its technology to KHL clubs during meeting in Magnitogorsk, they used this technology in ice surface in Magnitka arena as example. It was written at KHL website.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:18 PM
ult

Yes.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:24 PM
BalticWarrior

so which teams will have this ice?

Old
04-15-2013, 02:31 PM
ult

If everything goes well then every team. Maybe KHL will make everyone to change the dasher boards as well. We'll see.