HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Carey didn't use new gear.. He tried them during morning practice.. exactly like he did with all his new gear. He doesn't put on new gear right away. He practice with them for weeks before using them in a game.
Are you sure? Healy was pretty adamant about it, but Healy is also an idiot.

If that's true, then forget my post above, heh.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:47 PM
Davebo*
BeepBeep!

I hope he goes back to his old gear, is all I can say. Take the kit he was wearing far away, and burn it.

He seemed bummed in the post game interview, but shrugged it off as just a bad game.

I'd tell him - Shake it off, kid. Just another game. Luckily the bruins lost that night, so no harm no foul.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:50 PM
Davebo*
BeepBeep!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
Carey didn't use new gear.. He tried them during morning practice.. exactly like he did with all his new gear. He doesn't put on new gear right away. He practice with them for weeks before using them in a game.
D'oh. That's a better way of doing things, then.

I wish I could edit posts - dumb thing to take away from posters, IMO. Just clogs things up with extra posts. Like this one.

Old
04-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
I'm sorry but i'm an equal Habs fan as any body else, I'v been a fan since I was born. My opinions on a player worth the same as any body else.

And no plz no do not compare my username with those names...

I don't like the player.. sure and i'm not the only one.. People who are die hard Price's fans are a minority now and should look the pgt to see what people really think of him when he lets a bad goal.

I never insult Carey Price... I'm expressing my point of view..which is he cost's us games. Thats it.

Now I would be a troll if Price was playing like a monster and winning us games.
He is the majority of the time. You don't get into 2nd place when your goalie's costing you games. We have 10 losses all season.

You are a troll. Your opinions do matter as much as everyone else's and the majority of people say you have no idea what you're talking about. That's their opinion and it's worth just as much as yours.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

Even if it was brand spanking new, his pads didn't have any holes in them and would still in theory be able to stop a puck if they were put in front of said puck reguardless of "newness."

Price was just BAD, period. Everything else is an excuse. It happens but to make excuses for it is pointless imo. Price needs to get better and be better for the playoffs.

If he faulters in the playoffs, things will get really ugly in the city and Price will be under even more pressure. Not saying he has to win the Cup, but he has to be better, a lot better.

Old
04-15-2013, 01:32 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
He is the majority of the time. You don't get into 2nd place when your goalie's costing you games. We have 10 losses all season.

You are a troll. Your opinions do matter as much as everyone else's and the majority of people say you have no idea what you're talking about. That's their opinion and it's worth just as much as yours.
By your standards Marinaro is a Troll too... he brought stats on his own show and compared them with Budaj... Marinaro said Budaj should have been chosen to start tonight's game.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Drive425

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Cost View Post
By your standards Marinaro is a Troll too... he brought stats on his own show and compared them with Budaj... Marinaro said Budaj should have been chosen to start tonight's game.
Marinaro is a troll. Stats can be used to prove just about anything if you pick the right ones.

Price is the Habs starting goaltender abd we played a big division rival-fact.
Budaj has no place starting that game-fact.
Price flopped-fact.

That is the end of story. Happens to the best of them. People are very short sighted if they forget all the good performances Price has put in over the years.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:

What happened is the Montreal Canadiens Twitter account shared a pic of Price with his new gear during the morning practice. Healy just assumed because he really is an idiot. Or because people will talk about him.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:21 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

The problem is,at this stage of his career we thought the glitches and yellow flags would be gone from Price's game. But there are still times when his focus seems to leave him.

Price plays behind a pretty solid team, Budaj is 7-1-1 with this team which tells a story. The team is near the top of the league offensively, that's a place where cup contenders find themselves. Price has no excuses but his own preparation and performance.

Let's face it, not advancing to the second round of the playoffs would be a total failure for this team. If this team exits early, and Price is seen as being a large part of the cause it will get ugly for him in Montreal.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:29 PM
Drive425

vCash: 600
[QUOTE=Agnostic;63985077]The problem is,at this stage of his career we thought the glitches and yellow flags would be gone from Price's game. But there are still times when his focus seems to leave him.

Price plays behind a pretty solid team, Budaj is 7-1-1 with this team which tells a story. The team is near the top of the league offensively, that's a place where cup contenders find themselves. Price has no excuses but his own preparation and performance.

Let's face it, not advancing to the second round of the playoffs would be a total failure for this team. If this team exits early, and Price is seen as being a large part of the cause it will get ugly for him in Montreal.[/QUOTE]

Not one person in this thread would've said that at the start of the season.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM
Carey Cost*

[QUOTE=Drive425;63985483]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The problem is,at this stage of his career we thought the glitches and yellow flags would be gone from Price's game. But there are still times when his focus seems to leave him.

Let's face it, not advancing to the second round of the playoffs would be a total failure for this team. If this team exits early, and Price is seen as being a large part of the cause it will get ugly for him in Montreal.[/QUOTE]

definitely not you

Old
04-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post

The situation has changed.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:23 PM
otto bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Despite my previous comments, I have to admit that Roy was constantly criticized despite winning two cups here. I remember friends saying stuff like "it's about time" when he was traded and I was shocked how little respect he got.

However, I have a problem with people who are always ready to give Price the Vezina when he goes on a winning streak. I think that's going too far in the positive direction at this point.

As for the Leaf fan posting, as tough as Montreal can be for goalies, I consider the Leafs and the Flyers the worst two teams as far as scrutinizing goalies and don't see how a guy like Price could flourish there. It takes a generational talent to survive that kind of pressure.
Well there are plenty of that too. IMO, this year, Price has had a decent year overall. There's been better goalie this year but overall, this year, he's in the top 10 of the league on most list.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:32 PM
WeThreeKings
Retired.

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Guys, you have to trade Price in the off-season because of this game.

Nothing bad has ever happened trading a top netminder after a bad game. Never.

Patrick Roy trade was probably the best deal in franchise history.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:33 PM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

i'll keep saying it, this board is bipolar

it's either give him the vezina, or release him and break his legs to make sure he won't hurt any other team

Old
04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
Carey Cost*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Don't compare 2 times SC winner with Price.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:38 PM
Shaby23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bask View Post
i'll keep saying it, this board is bipolar

it's either give him the vezina, or release him and break his legs to make sure he won't hurt any other team
It's not about bipolarity, it's about people who loves him vs hates him.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
rwb

Quote:
Remember that fiasco with his red pads a couple of years ago?
You mean these beauties?

Is it a coincidence that pretty much from that point forward the season went to total garbage?

Old
04-15-2013, 04:14 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaby23 View Post
It's not about bipolarity, it's about people who loves him vs hates him.
No, it's people who are fans of the team versus people who are fans of the player first and foremost.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereforaquickpost View Post
This isn't that complicated. He's payed 6.5 million and puts up
completely average numbers. A .912% should
get you a 4 million dollar deal. If he's not in his prime why is he getting paid like he is? And don't tell
me the cap savings down the road if he improves will be worth it because then i'll be expecting a .930-35 sv %. Unrealistic expectations for such a fragile goalie. How much longer are we going to leave the pacifier in for?
Simply put, save % is an overrated statistic and not a very good way of rating a goaltender.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:36 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Simply put, save % is an overrated statistic and not a very good way of rating a goaltender.
That's...not really true. Even strength save percentage is pretty much the best metric we have to evaluate the talent of goaltenders.

Save percentage isn't the be all and end all but it's miles better than GAA or wins which seem to be the other popular ones.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:43 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
That's...not really true. Even strength save percentage is pretty much the best metric we have to evaluate the talent of goaltenders.

Save percentage isn't the be all and end all but it's miles better than GAA or wins which seem to be the other popular ones.
Of course save percentage is better than GAA and wins.. Shot quality has a lot to do with it however. Some teams allow large quantity of low quality shots (that was basically Martin's entire system) while other teams allow small quantity of higher quality shots (which is probably more our case this year, since we have possession most of the time and allow less shots than opposing teams most of the time).

The more aggressive the forecheck and the more the defensemen pinch = the better the chances on the goalie. Our system is characterized with pinching defensemen and aggressive forecheckers.

Save % is very situational. Just look at the difference between PK and even strenght play.

Our PK happens to be worse than in previous years and we happen to receive fewer shots. This might impact Price's stats a bit.

I don't want to blindly defend Price here but we need to look beyond save % to rate him. He's a solid goalie with great stamina and excellent technical prowess. He isn't having an amazing season but his team doesn't really need him to steal games (so we can't remember these) and the few very bad outings he's had tainted and distorted our memories of his season. I think many here are not used of seeing the Habs in control of the play so often, we are used to depend on goalies to win so Price's job is a bit more ingrate this year.

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-15-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Noob616

Quote:
That's why I said ESSV% is the best measurement. Only considering even strength, Price is 28th in the league (I think?).

Again, if you read back trhough my posts you'll see I'm a huge Price fan but to be paying the guy the 3rd highest goalie salary and getting 28th best ESSV isn't great. You can definitely account for a minor difference in SV% with systems, but when Price is 28th it's hard to blame it on the team.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:54 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob616 View Post
That's why I said ESSV% is the best measurement. Only considering even strength, Price is 28th in the league (I think?).

Again, if you read back trhough my posts you'll see I'm a huge Price fan but to be paying the guy the 3rd highest goalie salary and getting 28th best ESSV isn't great. You can definitely account for a minor difference in SV% with systems, but when Price is 28th it's hard to blame it on the team.
It depends on the way you see it, I wouldn't say its bad for the team to allow fewer more dangerous shots than a million low percentage ones. There is no point in stat padding goalies. In the end we need to control the play and score more goals, perhaps by pinching and forechecking more. Yes it means Price gets left alone some times but if the team scores more goals and we win its alright.

So I wouldn't say I ''blame'' the team for Price's unimpressive save %, more that its (partly) the result of the system. Its just like some systems are very conservative about the way defensemen plays, there is no way Subban would have a point per game with these but he could still have a great season. Just less flashy.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Noob616

Quote:
It depends on the way you see it, I wouldn't say its bad for the team to allow fewer more dangerous shots than a million low percentage ones. There is no point in stat padding goalies. In the end we need to control the play and score more goals, perhaps by pinching and forechecking more. Yes it means Price gets left alone some times but if the team scores more goals and we win its alright.

So I wouldn't say I ''blame'' the team for Price's unimpressive save %, more that its (partly) the result of the system. Its just like some systems are very conservative about the way defensemen plays, there is no way Subban would have a point per game with these but he could still have a great season. Just less flashy.
Agreed, if he was on a different team it's reasonable that he could be 20th, 15th, etc in ESSV. But regardless of team situations it's pretty hard to be happy with the 28th best ESSV on a 2nd place team in the East, with PK Subban, Josh Gorges, a healthy Markov, and Emelin for most of the season in front of him.

Closed Thread