HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Recommend some shoulder pads!

Old
04-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Devil Dancer

vCash: 500
Recommend some shoulder pads!

Hey people, my shoulder pads are getting pretty worn out and I need some new ones, so please give me some recommendations for current gear. Some considerations:
  • I liked my last set of CCM 06s
  • I'm looking for another mid-level set
  • Low profile is good, but isn't my top priority
  • I'm only 5'7, so I'll need something available in small or medium
  • Something light weight would be preferred

I've been looking around, and I'm not familiar with any of the current models. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:24 AM
AIREAYE

Are there any particular styles of fit, amount of coverage or relative amount of protection that you would prefer?

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:40 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Are there any particular styles of fit, amount of coverage or relative amount of protection that you would prefer?
I'm not really sure. I'd like something low profile that won't be too bulky, but my last set had full shoulder caps and I still liked it. Here's a picture of my last set:

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:58 PM
AIREAYE

Yeah I knew what you were referring to. The Vector and U+ series are still quite good. Perhaps check out a pair of clearance Fit09s (http://www.totalhockey.com/product/U...6-41/?mtx_id=0) or the current U+12s.

Bauer Vapors are closer fitting and lower profiled compared to their other lines. Perhaps a clearance X:30 or the current X5.0 : http://www.purehockey.com/bauer-vapo...der-pads-22828

I find the current model Stealth pads to be snugger fitting as well, though perhaps the shoulder caps aren't the smallest : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/S...s/itm/8101-41/

Old
04-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Vip
fun must be always

vCash: 50
I personally use the cheapest ones I can find. IMO shoulder pads are the least important piece of equipment hockey players are required to wear.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:31 PM
jordanking87

I agree, at my level of play there is no checking, they're mainly there to protect if I go sliding into the boards or catch a puck on my sternum or back...dont need too much to soften the blow in the legaues I frequent

jordanking87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:59 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

If you can find a Graf G700, I would highly recommend getting it. It should be pretty cheap now.

Very low profile, light weight and provides adequate protection.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 06:22 AM
Primrose Everdeen
Lucy

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I personally use the cheapest ones I can find. IMO shoulder pads are the least important piece of equipment hockey players are required to wear.
I agree if it's non-checking hockey. I don't even wear shoulder pads anymore when I play.

Primrose Everdeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:23 AM
ChiTownHawks
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah I knew what you were referring to. The Vector and U+ series are still quite good. Perhaps check out a pair of clearance Fit09s (http://www.totalhockey.com/product/U...6-41/?mtx_id=0) or the current U+12s.
I second these. I've had them for about 2 years now and I love them. They are not the lightest (not heavy either) on the market but they have great mobility and pretty much the lowest profile you can get, other than the old Sher-Woods.

ChiTownHawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Reebok 5k are on clearance for under $50 in places and are the most flexible and best fitting shoulder pads I've tried. I couldn't use most of the shoulders that shift around with the body. Although I've been using my Sherwoods for a while.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Funkmarkoflex

Personnally, Bauers and Reebooks make me look like a football player. Shoulder pads are too big imho. Bought U+ Fit 07 in clearance at the end of last season and they feel great. Mobility is the main factor why I bought those. If you're playing rec, you should stay with CCM as they offer just the right amount of protection for the casual play.

Funkmarkoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:52 PM
lilphill23

vCash: 390
Quote:

Bauer Vapors are closer fitting and lower profiled compared to their other lines. Perhaps a clearance X:30 or the current X5.0 : http://www.purehockey.com/bauer-vapo...der-pads-22828

I find the current model Stealth pads to be snugger fitting as well, though perhaps the shoulder caps aren't the smallest : http://www.totalhockey.com/product/S...s/itm/8101-41/
i currently have these and there quite confortable and protective. I have taken a few runs at the boards and came out no worse for wear.

lilphill23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
AIREAYE

As you should expect from a high end pad such as those 85Ss!

Assuming that one is playing non-contact, the only gripe I have with those is that the velcro should go in further along the stomach of the pad, to allow skinnier folk to get a snugger fit.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:42 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I know I'm a Reebok fanboy and it's OT, but those new Reebok protective that are all foam look cool. Won't buy them, too much $ but love companies going this route (like the CCM UL).

Old
04-15-2013, 04:52 PM
Hawks82

Hockeymonkey.com appears to be having some sales on protective equipment. Reebok 9k & 11k for $184.98 & $244.98 + shipping. I picked up an 11k set.

Last edited by Hawks82: 04-15-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Hawks82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:00 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I know I'm a Reebok fanboy and it's OT, but those new Reebok protective that are all foam look cool. Won't buy them, too much $ but love companies going this route (like the CCM UL).
Can't wait to see them! I've been wanting the implementation of NHL standardization for protective gear for a while. It just makes sense.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I like the low pro shoulder caps and the elbow pads look better, less like a pronounced elbow and more like an arm joint.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
mistrhanky

Just to hop on this thread... I have switched to center recently. I am getting better at it and getting in the front of a lot more pucks. I had 5 blocks last night, a personal best, but took a pretty hard shot in the sternum on one of them. I have this thin, cheap Sherwood shoulder gear and that clearly is not going to cut it on D. At the same time, I don't have a huge budget. I am 6.4 230ish. Can anyone recommend shoulders that run large and would give me good protection without breaking the bank?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
AIREAYE

You're going to have to be more specific.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
I used to say that, too... Until I broke my shoulder... Twice.

To the OP: I'm going to jump on the CCM bandwagon. I love the design of the 2011 U+ series; In my opinion, they're the best combination of mobility and protection while still maintaining a low-profile.

Since I've got a history with shoulder problems, I've favored JDP caps for years. I was on the fence about trying the CCMs and when the U+ 09s hit the clearance rack, I made the switch. I just upgraded from the CCM U+ 09 to the U+ Pro and if you can find either in your size I would recommend them.

Based on the Vectors that you had previously, the fit will be similar so it's not much of an adjustment... other than the reduced bulkiness. I don't know your preference as far as fit, but it sounds like you'd need a small (I'm 6'1" 210 lbs and medium U+09/Pros fit me better than any shoulder pad I've owned). If this is the case, it looks like you can still find smalls on clearance a few different places. If you opt for a medium, finding them might be a little harder...

Good luck.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:25 PM
AIREAYE

I personally think that the U+Pros are one of if not the best top-end shoulder pad ever released onto retail.

Among the other top end pads currently out at this moment, I also like the snug and sleek fit of the APX. Haven't seen the Mako, 20K, or NXG yet, though the presence of NHL-spec caps may sway that second vote.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:22 AM
leftwinger37

Quote:
I personally think that the U+Pros are one of if not the best top-end shoulder pad ever released onto retail.
Here, here!

Old
04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
AIREAYE

Now if those shoulder caps were to NHL-spec, you can all throw away those Jofas!

Old
04-17-2013, 12:11 PM
leftwinger37

Quote:
Now if those shoulder caps were to NHL-spec, you can all throw away those Jofas!
Why throw them away when you could sell them for $150 on ebay? I kid, I kid...

Old
04-17-2013, 02:11 PM
AIREAYE

Why kid? You're bang-on lol

Oh, just throwing this out there for those who care : the bulkiest and most tank-like shoulder pads I've ever seen are either the Easton EQ50s or those Bauer Pro models. Ridiculous.