HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 04:03 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
So I wouldn't say I ''blame'' the team for Price's unimpressive save %, more that its (partly) the result of the system. Its just like some systems are very conservative about the way defensemen plays, there is no way Subban would have a point per game with these but he could still have a great season. Just less flashy.
Well said.

Under Martin we had a very goalie friendly system - the team gave up a lot of shots but there was always players around to block shots forcing the opposing team to take lower percentage shots.

This year we play a more aggresive style that leaves the back end more exposed. This doesn't mean Price is playing well, because he's not having a particularly good season, and needs to do better in the playoffs, but the system isn't helping. It's the same reason Gorges looks so much worse this year.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:26 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Well said.

Under Martin we had a very goalie friendly system - the team gave up a lot of shots but there was always players around to block shots forcing the opposing team to take lower percentage shots.

This year we play a more aggresive style that leaves the back end more exposed. This doesn't mean Price is playing well, because he's not having a particularly good season, and needs to do better in the playoffs, but the system isn't helping. It's the same reason Gorges looks so much worse this year.
Its easy to blame the system, Price doesn't change neither does Gorges. The fact that its now obvious that Gorges' skating is below average and he's really an average defenseman while Price is a bit overrated to this point.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laboeuf View Post
Its easy to blame the system, Price doesn't change neither does Gorges. The fact that its now obvious that Gorges' skating is below average and he's really an average defenseman while Price is a bit overrated to this point.
I'm not "blaming" the system, I'm agreeing with what Flying Kostitsyn said - that Price and Gorges are being exposed more as a result of the system. That doesn't mean it's not their own responsibility to play better too. I just think it's important to understand there's reasons.

Old
04-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Laboeuf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
I'm not "blaming" the system, I'm agreeing with what Flying Kostitsyn said - that Price and Gorges are being exposed more as a result of the system. That doesn't mean it's not their own responsibility to play better too. I just think it's important to understand there's reasons.
I can give you two reasons.

-Hal Gill made Gorges look better, Hal is always in position and very strong on his skates. He's slow yes but he knows how to position himself so he won't get caught. The problem is Gorges has one if not the slowest acceleration on the team. When compared with Subban who takes 2-3 strides to go top speed, Gorges takes about 8-9 strides.

-Carey needs someone to push his button so he can succeed. I don't like his laid back attitude, you gotta have drive and enthusiasm. Huet pushed Price, Halak pushed Price. Ironically both Huet and Halak played butter but were traded. I don't think Budaj pushes Price, Budaj knows his role as a backup so Price isn't worried. I'm not saying that Price isn't a star, he's got potential, but its time to achieve that potential. You don't get paid 6.5 mil per yr for 6 yrs just on potential. You need to show it. I fear Price will choke like Luongo.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:07 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Guess pretty much everyone was right, you only created the account to bash a Habs player.
I feel personally vindicated now.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:09 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
I think Price is very hard headed.. Melanson lost patience with him and moved on to Vancouver.
More like Melanson changed Prices style completely and messed him badly which ended up getting him FIRED. He didn't quit.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Not true. Melanson was fired because he was hell bent on turning Price into a pure butterfly goaltender.

However, it seems the process is beginning again. Price needs to stay on his feet more.
Actually Melanson was trying to keep Price off his knees, make him more of a stand-up goalie.

Loungo WAS a butterfly goalie in Florida and a few years in Vancouver, now I don't know wtf he is.

Melanson and Alaire are the 2 worst goaltending coaches in the league. They try to force their style onto their goalies instead of trying to improve what they know already.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:46 PM
habtastic

Just a thought:

What if those two bad goals (even as a Price supporter [god i hate that stupid term] I think Bozak's goal was stoppable) had occurred at later points in the game.

I think it might actually have been WORSE if we had managed to score some goals. At least the team had the rest of the game to get something going (well, and then there was Budaj's first shot...), which they did not. As PK said, even at 3-0 and 3-1 they were grinding it out. I can't believe we could not beat freaking Reimer. Leafs insulated him well/we need shooting practice. Given it's no excuses time to the max, there are a couple of guys that need to start scoring from a distance (top of the circle). Eller, Chucky, Patch, Ryder all have wristers that are dangerous from far out. They need to get those going. Annnnd I'm off topic.

I hope the crowd starts a big Carey chant at the start of the game. Well, with the right intonation.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:49 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
It depends on the way you see it, I wouldn't say its bad for the team to allow fewer more dangerous shots than a million low percentage ones. There is no point in stat padding goalies. In the end we need to control the play and score more goals, perhaps by pinching and forechecking more. Yes it means Price gets left alone some times but if the team scores more goals and we win its alright.

So I wouldn't say I ''blame'' the team for Price's unimpressive save %, more that its (partly) the result of the system. Its just like some systems are very conservative about the way defensemen plays, there is no way Subban would have a point per game with these but he could still have a great season. Just less flashy.
This is completely ridiculous. Our defensemen are extremely conservative 5v5. They get a ridiculously high proportion of their points on the PP.

For criss sake, we allow 5th fewest shots per game.

Our goalies aren't left to themselves at all.

Old
04-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Sports1131

Send a message via AIM to Sports1131 Send a message via MSN to Sports1131
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
Actually Melanson was trying to keep Price off his knees, make him more of a stand-up goalie.

Loungo WAS a butterfly goalie in Florida and a few years in Vancouver, now I don't know wtf he is.

Melanson and Alaire are the 2 worst goaltending coaches in the league. They try to force their style onto their goalies instead of trying to improve what they know already.
I don't believe this is true. Price has always been a butterfly goalie and I don't think Melanson either enforced or tried to change this. What I remember hearing is that he wanted Carey to use his size advantage to stay deeper in his net rather than challenge shooters as aggressively as some goalies.

I don't agree with that approach, but considering the numbers that Huet, Price, and Halak posted under him, along with the success of Vancouver's goalies, it's hard to say he's terrible at his job.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:28 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRG87 View Post
I just came across this tirade against me. Calling me stupid? Telling me to GTFO? Telling me I don't know hockey? Did I kick your dog or something? Or are you Carey Price's secret lover? All I said was that your memory didn't serve you well if you thought Price has played well in the playoffs so far in his career. Disagreeing with your somewhat delusional view of his playoff career doesn't warrant such a reaction. I didn't say he was a bad goalie. I said Price had some consistency issues and needs to be better in the playoffs. I also said his playoff performance trend is positive, so I am hopeful he will be better.

Learn some manners, bud. You don't know anything about me or who I could be. Quit acting like a tough a-hole on a message board.
If your posts are stupid, I'm going to tell you so.

I see you sent me another PM. I didn't read it. If you've got a problem with my posts, answer them on the board or put me on ignore. But yeah, if you write a post that's stupid, I'm going to call you on it.

And you said a lot more than him just having consistency issues...

Old
04-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I for one am one who love Price has our number 1.
In Montreal, it win you rule and loss you're the outcast. It's been like that for has long has I remember. Even Roy had his bashers but since he won 2 cups with the habs, he had less. Put a cup in Price's resume and more bashers will go away waiting for games like this to **** on him.
Some guys just hate certain players. Roy had his haters, so did Koivu. I'm not sure where it comes from but some guys just hate Price. It's not too many guys but there are definitely some here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
Despite my previous comments, I have to admit that Roy was constantly criticized despite winning two cups here. I remember friends saying stuff like "it's about time" when he was traded and I was shocked how little respect he got.

However, I have a problem with people who are always ready to give Price the Vezina when he goes on a winning streak. I think that's going too far in the positive direction at this point.
There were always folks ready to ship out Roy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverHabsFan View Post
As for the Leaf fan posting, as tough as Montreal can be for goalies, I consider the Leafs and the Flyers the worst two teams as far as scrutinizing goalies and don't see how a guy like Price could flourish there. It takes a generational talent to survive that kind of pressure.
It is a very, very hard place to play. And yeah, Philly is another spot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
Need this playoffs series as the real litmus test to categorize carey as "above average" or "elite".
I don't think so, anymore than it's a litmus test for our team.

If we lose I'm not writing off Price or this team. I hope we do well and I hope Price plays well. If we don't though, I'm not writing them or Price off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Price has to start to win KEY games. He's got the talent.

Patrick Roy was not perfect every night (he was giving very ugly goals and was totally lost outside his net) but he was winning the key games most of the times.

The difference between the two is "mental toughness", Roy was the most competitive goalie of his era.
Roy also had much better teams (esp defensively) in front of him. Also, he was arguably the best goalie of all time so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
I don't know if it was talked about yet because frankly I avoid this thread like the plague, but why does Price insist on changing gear in the middle of the year? It's like the third time in his career I've heard of him doing it, and it always seems to **** him up badly. Remember that fiasco with his red pads a couple of years ago?

I know Price takes a lot of pride in not being superstitious like most goalies, but it's not even that...you're playing with brand new gear, it's going to feel different and react differently went pucks hit it. Why even take the chance?

Edit: for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about, Healy on CBC mentioned numerous times that Price was wearing new equipment vs. TOR
Don't know why he does this either. Doesn't make sense.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

Pfff, Gionta with a dangerous zero degree angle shot.

Edit: sorry wrong thread.

Old
04-15-2013, 07:59 PM
SouthernHab

Ease up on Price.

We have Bourque replacing our top goal scorer on the top line. Everything will be fine.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:02 PM
ryanwb

Edit: Wrong thread.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:03 PM
ryanwb

Edit: x2

Old
04-15-2013, 08:04 PM
TennisMenace

Another 5 goal game. How many is that this year? 8

Elite? Lol.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:09 PM
cphabs
It complels you!

This ain't good...

Old
04-15-2013, 08:13 PM
bib
#believe

With Budaj playing so well, Price will have a short rope in the playoffs. A couple of bad games and I wouldn't be surprised to see Budaj take over, ala Halak.

Price hasn't earned the long rope.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:14 PM
jake08

Rough night all around. The defense is leaving him out to dry but it's no excuse. The pas few weeks have not been his best.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:18 PM
shutehinside

Wow. Bad, really bad night.

Bet you Price is lights out in the playoffs though. Any takers?

Old
04-15-2013, 08:19 PM
TennisMenace

Like someone said- CP doesn't usually steal games, so don't ever compare him to Dryden or Roy.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:21 PM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Of course. He's an elite goalie, he's been solid in the playoffs in the pa... wait. ****.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post

Lol
I'm not betting you- I'm sure CP is going to be a stud in the playoffs with 4 shut outs.
Lol

Old
04-15-2013, 08:25 PM
Dharvey33

6.5 millions that's what hurts the most. He should be payed 3 mil max the way he is playing just like Halak cause he isn't better right now.

Talk about paying for potential... and not real stats.

Thing is Price never had elite numbers since his beginning in the league but is still labelled as an elite goalie. Why is that? He is a good number 1 but nothing great if you look at his numbers. An the fact that all of his backups except Auld had the same or a better save % then him tells a story too. Even if they play less games.

Closed Thread