HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Defenceman PP QB

Old
04-13-2013, 11:31 PM
ttcminaker

vCash: 500
Defenceman PP QB

This is a major need for this organization (among many others)
The PP is a mess with no true QB on the point to run the show. I don't see anyone in the organization at this point that is a true QB from the point. Ehrhoff, much like Brennan was, is a trigger man more so than a QB. The only dman in the organization that I see with this potential at the moment is McCabe but he is years away.

It looks like a trade might be the best route. Maybe see if Nashville is willing to work something around Ryan Ellis, who is small but was a phenomenal PP QB in junior.

They will need to find someone for next year or this 30th overall PP will continue to struggle.

ttcminaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

The guy with the most potential to be one in the system is JGL despite his struggles as a first year pro. The biggest problem is that our PP setup is atrocious, no movement at all.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttcminaker View Post
This is a major need for this organization (among many others)
The PP is a mess with no true QB on the point to run the show. I don't see anyone in the organization at this point that is a true QB from the point. Ehrhoff, much like Brennan was, is a trigger man more so than a QB. The only dman in the organization that I see with this potential at the moment is McCabe but he is years away.

It looks like a trade might be the best route. Maybe see if Nashville is willing to work something around Ryan Ellis, who is small but was a phenomenal PP QB in junior.

They will need to find someone for next year or this 30th overall PP will continue to struggle.
We need to be able to enter the zone with possession and then retain possession. Half of our PP time on any given night is spent retrieving the puck from our end because we have 0 possession ability. Second you don't need a defenseman to QB a PP. Any player with good enough vision and hands to setup a play is fine. As a matter of fact I would prefer if out PP QB was playing off the half boards or even behind the net so we would defenders back to cover for turnovers.

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:03 AM
McTank

I heard seth jones could be a QB

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:07 AM
drinking bleach irl
p trendy tbh

vCash: 300
Throw cash at the Swiss

drinking bleach irl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:29 AM
Shoey
Hello.

As much as I think Ehrhoff is great, he was supposed to be the powerplay QB and his performance there is disheartening.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:05 AM
TheHoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
As much as I think Ehrhoff is great, he was supposed to be the powerplay QB and his performance there is disheartening.
Partly because the puck movement in the neural/offensive zone is beyond sub-optimal. Me thinks that Ehrhoff was one of the very few guys who managed to carry the puck in the offensive zone, in stark contrast to nearly all forwards on the Buffalo PP.

TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 06:51 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefifagod View Post
The guy with the most potential to be one in the system is JGL despite his struggles as a first year pro. The biggest problem is that our PP setup is atrocious, no movement at all.
Grigorenko too. QB'ed Quebec's PP from the right half-wall.
Don't need to be a d-man to run a powerplay.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:46 AM
koarl

You can play whoever you want. As long there is no movement in the PP, he will never have a clear lane to utilize his shot. Ehrhoff's shot is very good, so is his vision. But he always has someone in his face because the Sabres don't push the rectangle out of position with some decent passing.
A PPQB is the least thing the Sabres need. They need a coach that tells them how to play.

6 of Ehrhoff's 14 goals in each of his 2 seasons with Vancouver were PPG. 28 of his career 63 goals were PPG. But he only had 1 PPG in each of his 2 Sabres seasons with 5 goals each.
So he is not the problem.

koarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 07:46 AM
SatanwasaSlovak

If we need movement on the powerplay, Sandis Ozolinsh is still playing...

SatanwasaSlovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:03 AM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Throw cash at the Swiss
You could be Streit on this one, since he could help our PP make big Streits.
That is, if he doesn't Streit the pine, in which case his acquisition would turn out to be nothing to Streit home about.

How exactly do you want to pry Sbisa out of Anaheim, though?

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Der Jaeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Grigorenko too. QB'ed Quebec's PP from the right half-wall.
Don't need to be a d-man to run a powerplay.
Agree. Doesn't need to be a defenseman, and doesn't need to be from the blueline. I think Grigorenko or Hodgson could develop into this role.

Der Jaeger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 12:30 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
He was never supposed to be the PPQB; if people expected that then the problem was your expectations. He was supposed to be a great player on the PP and I feel like he is. Hopefully with a new coaching staff we'll actually see a competent power play setup.

Old
04-14-2013, 12:48 PM
Myllz
Pavelski Lite

Quote:
He was never supposed to be the PPQB; if people expected that then the problem was your expectations. He was supposed to be a great player on the PP and I feel like he is. Hopefully with a new coaching staff we'll actually see a competent power play setup.
Pretty much. His main asset on the powerplay is his shot, not quarterbacking the play. His shot has still been good, but the Sabres powerplay is just too damn static to make it really effective.

Myllz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 01:00 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by koarl View Post
You can play whoever you want. As long there is no movement in the PP, he will never have a clear lane to utilize his shot. Ehrhoff's shot is very good, so is his vision. But he always has someone in his face because the Sabres don't push the rectangle out of position with some decent passing.
A PPQB is the least thing the Sabres need. They need a coach that tells them how to play.

6 of Ehrhoff's 14 goals in each of his 2 seasons with Vancouver were PPG. 28 of his career 63 goals were PPG. But he only had 1 PPG in each of his 2 Sabres seasons with 5 goals each.
So he is not the problem.
I agree with this. We haven't had a creative and confident looking power play in years.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 08:48 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I agree with this. We haven't had a creative and confident looking power play in years.
Would you bring back Briere if he gets bought out to fill that role (assuming the price/term were reasonable)?

Prospector74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:08 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Give me the Swiss Bering. Gladly spearheading that campaign. Hoping his down season this year might allow him to be had a bit cheaper than I anticipated before this last lockaught

jBuds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
I think our future PP QB is already on the Sabres: Mark Pysyk.

The single most important quality for a PP QB is poise with the puck and the ability to make good decisions. Obviously, offensive ability is still needed, but I think Pysyk could fill the role quite nicely--maybe not an elite level, but decent at the very least.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
I think our future PP QB is already on the Sabres: Mark Pysyk.

The single most important quality for a PP QB is poise with the puck and the ability to make good decisions. Obviously, offensive ability is still needed, but I think Pysyk could fill the role quite nicely--maybe not an elite level, but decent at the very least.
He certainly could be and I expect him to stick on the PP long term. Hopefully one of them can become one. I agree with you Pysyk can at least become decent, I think JGL could be elite. I must admit I've been high on him for a long time and I'm still a bit bullish despite his struggles this year.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:33 AM

We really need a big shot on the Blueline like PK Subban, Ryan Pulock could be that guy..

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 02:54 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
We really need a big shot on the Blueline like PK Subban, Ryan Pulock could be that guy..
Yet that's already Ehrhoff's biggest asset. They don't need another shooter -- as they showed when the force-fed Brennan minutes back there -- they need better execution and motion.

04-15-2013, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Yet that's already Ehrhoff's biggest asset. They don't need another shooter -- as they showed when the force-fed Brennan minutes back there -- they need better execution and motion.
I was referring to the big RH shot on the point, something that we do not have.

Ehrhoff has a good shot but it's not up there with the Subbans, Webers of the world.

Why is Brennan in this convo? he has shown that he cannot hit the net, their is a difference between a heavy shot and accurate heavy shot.

agree with bolded

1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
I was referring to the big RH shot on the point, something that we do not have.

Ehrhoff has a good shot but it's not up there with the Subbans, Webers of the world.

Why is Brennan in this convo? he has shown that he cannot hit the net, their is a difference between a heavy shot and accurate heavy shot.

agree with bolded
I disagree. I think what we most need is a guy to play opposite Ehrhoff who can lug the puck up the ice, bring successful zone entries and set-ups, and make smart, creative puck decisions to get some movement going. If he has a booming shot all the better (and all the less likely we'll get him), but only a solid shot is necessary, imo.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 05:30 PM
Sabretip

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
Partly because the puck movement in the neural/offensive zone is beyond sub-optimal. Me thinks that Ehrhoff was one of the very few guys who managed to carry the puck in the offensive zone, in stark contrast to nearly all forwards on the Buffalo PP.
I agree. The Sabres haven't had a real game plan on their power play for years - ever since Ruff fell in love with the ineffective "Detroit drop-pass" way of zone entries, which constantly allowed the defending team to put all of their focus on swarming the Sabres' puck carrier while the other 4 players stood still at the blue line. It didn't matter who the Sabres tasked with being the latecomer up ice or how great a skater they were - and Ehrhoff's mobility has often been neutralized because he meets a 5-man wall at the blueline with none of his teammates in position to receive an outlet pass. Under Rolston, there's definitely been better movement and rotations of the 5-man unit on power plays even if the results haven't been much better.

Ehrhoff's effectiveness has also been hurt by the poor passing ability of this team - beyond Vanek and possibly Hodgson, most of the Sabres that see PP time are below-average in timing and aiming their passes. Compared to what Ehrhoff had with the Sedins, a drop-off in production was destined to happen when he signed in Buffalo.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 07:05 PM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
I agree. The Sabres haven't had a real game plan on their power play for years - ever since Ruff fell in love with the ineffective "Detroit drop-pass" way of zone entries, which constantly allowed the defending team to put all of their focus on swarming the Sabres' puck carrier while the other 4 players stood still at the blue line. It didn't matter who the Sabres tasked with being the latecomer up ice or how great a skater they were - and Ehrhoff's mobility has often been neutralized because he meets a 5-man wall at the blueline with none of his teammates in position to receive an outlet pass. Under Rolston, there's definitely been better movement and rotations of the 5-man unit on power plays even if the results haven't been much better.

Ehrhoff's effectiveness has also been hurt by the poor passing ability of this team - beyond Vanek and possibly Hodgson, most of the Sabres that see PP time are below-average in timing and aiming their passes. Compared to what Ehrhoff had with the Sedins, a drop-off in production was destined to happen when he signed in Buffalo.
Is Kevyn Adams still the PP coach? If so, he should be canned at the end of the year, our PP is 13th in the EC

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote