HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-15-2013, 08:29 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I'm going to withhold my judgement until the end of summer and see what kind of moves MacT is willing to make.
This! My god people are being ridiculous crucifying MacT before he's even started

04-15-2013, 08:29 PM
#ualberta

vCash: 500
Some thoughts from TSN's Rishaug

@TSNRyanRishaug: 1. Couple thoughts on today. Kevin didn’t interview any other candidates, just gave Craig the job. Tough optics in this situation……
@TSNRyanRishaug: 2. Mact may well turn out to be a very capable GM, I dont believe he’s a bad choice, but there are other high quality people out there….
@TSNRyanRishaug: 3. One significant move this off season will quickly turn public sentiment, as the last few years have been so devoid of bold action or risk
@TSNRyanRishaug: 4. Lowe say he’s been hands off for a while now, but I tend to believe Mactavish will have more autonomy to do this his way

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't think Mac will be a bad GM at all but as I've said before I'm pissed off Lowe got to make the hire. He should be gone along with Tambellini. It bothers me a guy like that, who is responsible for most of what has happened since 2006 is still here firing people around him and not taking any accountability.

His comments today added fuel to the fire.
Lowe has six Stanley cup rings did you know that

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 PM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Ryan Rishaug via Twitter:

Quote:
Couple thoughts on today. Kevin didn’t interview any other candidates, just gave Craig the job. Tough optics in this situation…
https://twitter.com/TSNRyanRishaug/s...68624077463553

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

So nothing changes, great.

The Fire Lowe movement needs to ramp up or nothing will change. Seriously though, if the fans demand it, we'll probably get it.

MacT might be slightly better than Tambellini, but Lowe needs to go. He makes stupid decisions and should not have any control.

I do like Howson getting promoted though..

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:33 PM
Bank Shot

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
If Mac T buys out Horc I will know he is serious.
I'll buy some ice skates because hell will have frozen over.

MacT was campaigning for Horcoff to be in the last olympic team on TSN.

Bank Shot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post

Oh my at that last part.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
It doesn't matter what he does, good or bad, its the principle, he shouldn't be back particularly in this high level position, his best friend had to bring in "NEW BLOOD" FROM OUTSIDE!
I'm assuming your post is mostly sarcastic, but for everybody else who actually feels like this, what is the case going to be if MacT does a good job this summer and gets some good pieces for this team?

I wonder how many tunes will change. In regards to Lowe and MacT.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:36 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Think of MacT's coaching style, and then apply that to GM duties.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Vagabond

Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Well... at least MacT is an intelligent person. He did take a mediocre team to the playoffs many times as a head coach. I wish Lowe was fired as well! Hopefully MacT can do a great job.

Gratz MacT!

Gratz Hawson!

Shame on you Lowe!

Also; not a fan of Krueger either..

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:39 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I wonder what Toby Petersen is doing these days.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Grod
The New Era Lives On

Old boys club, yes I think we all get it. Moving on I really hope Mactavish can love up to his mandate expressed today. A lot more assertive in terms of addressing weakness' and making this team a compeptetive squad effectively. Enticing to say the least. Moreso than Tambourines generic complacency in addressing the media or team needs.

I'll wait to torch Mactavish. He did have a decent record considering the team he was forced to work with.

So far I'm happy he finally called up Lander and Hartakainen for obvious reasons. Now waive Smyth lol.

I've been befuddled that ST was unable to make this move and simply sit on his hands while letting Krueger struggle. Not that Krueger shouldn't have forced the issue himself but there's a point where I think the GM can be held accountable by not pressing it either.

It's fairly frustrating to see Clark play in this Flames and Wild game when he was in our system waiting for the picking while Tambourine let him walk and Potter was continually allowed free unaccountable ice time night after night.

I apologize to all cynics if this post is a little top bright with optimism and not glaring flames from a torch. Note to this disclaimer before reading. Too late.

Grod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:42 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
I fear the GM version of the MacBlender.

Soli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:43 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:

I forgot about that

flashy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:45 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Which reporter was it who was asking, 'how is this a change?' And who got Lowe hot under the collar?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:50 PM
Six in O6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Which reporter was it who was asking, 'how is this a change?' And who got Lowe hot under the collar?
I too would love to know this. Any time Lowe has to bring up the number of rings he has, you know you've got under his skin. Last ditch effort to be defensive. It worked for Patrick Roy, but let's be honest.... Lowe hasn't delivered results in 15 years.

Six in O6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
shogun99

New oiler lines for next season.

Smyth-Horcoff-reddox
Hall-Reasoner-Yakupov
Thoresen-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Smid

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:53 PM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy35 View Post
It doesn't matter what he does, good or bad, its the principle, he shouldn't be back particularly in this high level position, his best friend had to bring in "NEW BLOOD" FROM OUTSIDE!
Really? So if they finish in the playoffs next year and go 2 or three rounds you will still be upset by the move?

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:54 PM
shoop

Overall I think today was a good day for the team.

Yeah it sucks that KLowe didn't even bother interviewing anyone before hiring MacT.

Tambo being gone is great.

MacT did very well at the presser. Good answers. Sounded like a pretty solid vote of confidence in Krueger. One more year is a good thing on that front. Not saying he is the long term answer, but a coaching carousel makes no sense.

KLowe was just arrogant and out of touch. Forget taking offence to the "fans who buy tickets comment". That was just plain dumb. It's the fans who don't/can't buy tickets (i.e. tier two fans) who make up almost all of the people in the city supporting building the new rink. Tier two fans buy merchandise and watch on tv/listen to the radio, which is why the team gets broadcast revenue. What was the point about how many cups he has won? Other than being a jerk.

Today really turned me off on KLowe and maybe the terrible presser today leads to him leaving the team a little earlier than originally planned.

Hopefully MacT proves to be an independent-minded GM who can turn this team around.

Last edited by shoop: 04-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.
shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Bodmanza
pipsqueaks united

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six in O6 View Post
I too would love to know this. Any time Lowe has to bring up the number of rings he has, you know you've got under his skin. Last ditch effort to be defensive. It worked for Patrick Roy, but let's be honest.... Lowe hasn't delivered results in 15 years.
It was John Mackinnon from the journal.

I'll give MacT a shot. Meh.

Bodmanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:56 PM
Jean Ralphio

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
New oiler lines for next season.

Smyth-Horcoff-reddox
Hall-Reasoner-Yakupov
Thoresen-RNH-Eberle
Smyth-Horcoff-Smid
Haha wow, I totally forgot about the experiment playing Smid at forward.

Jean Ralphio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
A brave journalist named John Mackinnon

Here's the exchanged for those who haven't seen the press conference

MacKinnon: “When you talked about Steve coming in under difficult circumstances when he took over the job, part of that, with respect, was he had to clean up the mess that was left already. This group was largely responsible for that mess. How are fans going to be re-assured that the group that left the *mess that Tambellini couldn’t quite clean up is now *going to be cleaned up by the guys who left the mess to begin with?”

Lowe:*”I’ll just add a piece to that, John. You know, fair question. We have two types of fans. We have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about, but certainly the people who go to the games and support, we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message. I would, uh, I think it’s safe to say that half the general manager’s in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now. And in terms of the group that messed things up (voice rising) you’re talking about the group that had the team one period away from winning the Stanley Cup.”

MacKinnon: “Seven years ago.”

Lowe: “And you know the cycle of that. You know we chased the dream a few year for our fanbase. Like a lot of teams do. And then at some point in that time frame we realized that’s a bad plan and we made a change. We’re finishing year three of that plan. Now you say to me you’re getting impatient after three years?”

MacKinnon: “It’s not me. It’s the fans that are getting impatient.”

Lowe: “And lastly (talking loudly now) I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-the-hot-seat/

Last edited by 402: 04-15-2013 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Added reporters full name lol
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
WayneMessier

this

WayneMessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

The talent evaluation ability of our new GM people.

Be afraid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
Well... at least MacT is an intelligent person. He did take a mediocre team to the playoffs many times as a head coach. I wish Lowe was fired as well! Hopefully MacT can do a great job.
Not many times, 3 times... 3 times in 9 tries. His only truly good year occurred the same year Lowe had his only good year, and that team barely scraped in as it was.

The Oilers are now run by 3 people who have collectively managed to make the playoffs 4 times(3 times for lowe/mact/Howson jointly, 1 time for Howson with Columbus) since the year 2000 in managerial/coaching roles.

This is not a successful group on any level, anywhere.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:05 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
A brave journalist named John

Here's the exchanged for those who haven't seen the press conference

MacKinnon: “When you talked about Steve coming in under difficult circumstances when he took over the job, part of that, with respect, was he had to clean up the mess that was left already. This group was largely responsible for that mess. How are fans going to be re-assured that the group that left the *mess that Tambellini couldn’t quite clean up is now *going to be cleaned up by the guys who left the mess to begin with?”

Lowe:*”I’ll just add a piece to that, John. You know, fair question. We have two types of fans. We have paying customers and we have people that watch the game that we still care about, but certainly the people who go to the games and support, we spend a lot of time talking to them, delivering our message. I would, uh, I think it’s safe to say that half the general manager’s in the National Hockey League would trade their roster for our roster right now. And in terms of the group that messed things up (voice rising) you’re talking about the group that had the team one period away from winning the Stanley Cup.”

MacKinnon: “Seven years ago.”

Lowe: “And you know the cycle of that. You know we chased the dream a few year for our fanbase. Like a lot of teams do. And then at some point in that time frame we realized that’s a bad plan and we made a change. We’re finishing year three of that plan. Now you say to me you’re getting impatient after three years?”

MacKinnon: “It’s not me. It’s the fans that are getting impatient.”

Lowe: “And lastly (talking loudly now) I’ll say that there’s one other guy in hockey today that is still working in the game that has won more Stanley Cups than me. So I think I know a little bit about winning, if there’s ever a concern.”

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...-the-hot-seat/
Years from now, this will be looked back on as the exact moment when Kevin Lowe officially used up the last of the good will remaining from his playing days. Arrogant, short-sighted idiot.

John Mackinnon just moved up a notch in my books, though.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote