HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-15-2013, 10:07 PM
  #51
Vagabond
Registered User
 
Vagabond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 596
Send a message via MSN to Vagabond
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The talent evaluation ability of our new GM people.

Be afraid



Not many times, 3 times... 3 times in 9 tries. His only truly good year occurred the same year Lowe had his only good year, and that team barely scraped in as it was.

The Oilers are now run by 3 people who have collectively managed to make the playoffs 4 times(3 times for lowe/mact/Howson jointly, 1 time for Howson with Columbus) since the year 2000 in managerial/coaching roles.

This is not a successful group on any level, anywhere.
I'm trying to look for the positives and be positive at the same time.

Let's give MacT the opportunity as he has been given and run with it before we hang him upside down with a pitch fork up his rear end... as hard as that is.

Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:10 PM
  #52
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,228
vCash: 500
Bets on this happening in the summer?

Krueger fired, MacT becomes head coach again, Burke hired as GM.

__________________

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
  #53
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 70
hmmm did you guys watch the presser ?

Klowe didnt mention hemsky's name .....

he said Hall , Yak , Rnh , Gag, PRV, Jschultz and DD

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:12 PM
  #54
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Bets on this happening in the summer?

Krueger fired, MacT becomes head coach again, Burke hired as GM.
The only bet I be willing to make on this post is that you're not sober at the moment or running a high fever.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #55
Kurplunk
Registered User
 
Kurplunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 184
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bank Shot View Post
MacT was campaigning for Horcoff to be in the last olympic team on TSN.
When I heard they brought someone else in I was joyed
Then was informed it was MacT

Kurplunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #56
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
The only bet I be willing to make on this post is that you're not sober at the moment or running a high fever.
lol, no. But I can see it happening.

So far this year has unfolded pretty much as I expected.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #57
AK Dandyman
Registered User
 
AK Dandyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,041
vCash: 500
Just watched the press conference now. Pretty much in line of what I thought this morning, that Lowe is going all in with this move.

When Lowe responded to the reporter on the question about the old group who created the mess is now all back, that he had won 6 Cups and he knows winning, he just put himself in a vulnerable position. I like that because if this thing doesn't really work starting next year, it's all coming back on him.

I like that MacT said he's not patience, he's paid to make tough decisions and the organization is ready to take some risk. We'll just have to wait and see, but I do think he's going to be a more decisive GM than Tambellini with big moves. It's not a matter of if the big moves will come or not, it's only a matter of when they will come with MacT. So let's just hope MacT is really a smart GM for the sake of our team.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
  #58
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 70
am i the only one that sees Hemsky gets traded now ????

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
  #59
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
am i the only one that sees Hemsky gets traded now ????
I could see him moving at the draft.

What would we get back though? And who would we trade with?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
  #60
Chooch
Registered User
 
Chooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 784
vCash: 500
MacT has me convinced that he would trade our first rounder. Which is what needs to happen. If i see trades happening in the near future, i think our first rounder and Hemsky will be going the other way. Probably in separate trades. In a way im looking forward to this, because MacT knows he has to make a huge splash in the summer.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
  #61
Tarus
Fire Mact
 
Tarus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
I'm trying to look for the positives and be positive at the same time.

Let's give MacT the opportunity as he has been given and run with it before we hang him upside down with a pitch fork up his rear end... as hard as that is.
Personally, I usually am pretty positive, but the Oilers organization let another glory day leftover fail his way up the ladder and directly into the seat running the organization. It's tough to watch the team you've supported for 25+ years operate like a shoddy Hollywood studio.

It's hard to be positive about any of this, for any reason, and all the benefit of doubt I have for Mact was used up during his first tenure..

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
  #62
402
#ualberta
 
402's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Egypt
Posts: 2,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
am i the only one that sees Hemsky gets traded now ????
He also didn't mention eberle (i think) i doubt he was hinting at anything with the names he was listing
That being said i expect something to happen this summer because of how MacT talked about bold moves, whether that means hemsky or gagner or anyone else i'm really not sure


Last edited by 402: 04-15-2013 at 10:35 PM.
402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:22 PM
  #63
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
lol, no. But I can see it happening.

So far this year has unfolded pretty much as I expected.
And I would feel very confident saying there's zero chance of that happening. Lowe wants his power structure intact, with himself at the top and his trusted but subservient buddies below him. IIRC, you said Tambo would be fired and Lowe would become the new GM, not MacT. I said it would be MacT. I've been saying it would be MacT ever since they brought him into the organization again. That's not because I'm some great prognosticator either, it's because I know what's really motivating the people involved here. Winning is extremely important, but there's something else going on that's equally important. It's about Lowe maintaining his control while staying out of the limelight, letting others take the criticism for him. It's about him having subservient employees that won't ever question him. Burke or any other veteran GM would never agree to work on those terms, partly why Lowe didn't even bother to consider anyone else for the job.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
  #64
YoungGuns
The Taylor Hall Show
 
YoungGuns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton,Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,722
vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
He also didn't mention eberle (i think) i doubt he was hinting at anything with the names he was listing
That being said i expect something to happen this summer because of how MacT talked about bold moves, whether that means hemsky or gagner or anyone else i'm really not sure
he did say ebs, I see something here ... Mact has deserved a chance , everything he has said is great and I love it guys

YoungGuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
  #65
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor
 
shoop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Bets on this happening in the summer?

Krueger fired, MacT becomes head coach again, Burke hired as GM.
I will take that bet. You name the stakes.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
  #66
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And I would feel very confident saying there's zero chance of that happening. Lowe wants his power structure intact, with himself at the top and his trusted but subservient buddies below him. IIRC, you said Tambo would be fired and Lowe would become the new GM, not MacT. I said it would be MacT. I've been saying it would be MacT ever since they brought him into the organization again. That's not because I'm some great prognosticator either, it's because I know what's really motivating the people involved here. Winning is extremely important, but there's something else going on that's equally important. It's about Lowe maintaining his control while staying out of the limelight, letting others take the criticism for him. It's about him having subservient employees that won't ever question him. Burke or any other veteran GM would never agree to work on those terms, partly why Lowe didn't even bother to consider anyone else for the job.
I said Burke would be hired. I still believe this.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #67
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade
 
AlowlyOilersfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,737
vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
MacT has me convinced that he would trade our first rounder. Which is what needs to happen. If i see trades happening in the near future, i think our first rounder and Hemsky will be going the other way. Probably in separate trades. In a way im looking forward to this, because MacT knows he has to make a huge splash in the summer.
Who's the big fish though?

Who could we really trade for?

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:27 PM
  #68
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
I will take that bet. You name the stakes.
A Stanley Cup playoff berth.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
  #69
Asher
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,991
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
I said Burke would be hired. I still believe this.
What about this thread you started?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...037&highlight=

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM
  #70
flashy
Fire Tambellini.
 
flashy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 1860
Interesting to read the Lowe quote. Yea I'm done with the guy. I've supported him for years now. This was the final straw. The fact that he didn't even take the time of day to at least look at potential GM candidates tell me that this man is no longer qualified for this position.

If you did that in any organization the shareholders would of shown you the door immediately. Unfortunately in the sports world these guys can't be held as accountable as in the corporate world.

I said it then and i'll say it again. The day that one guy became an owner it spelled trouble. If that one guy is your buddy he's not going to fire you and the fans will pay the consequences.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:40 PM
  #71
Cloned
Sexy Genesis
 
Cloned's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 22,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
What about this thread you started?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...037&highlight=
That was before my Burke ramblings.

You can find most of my posts saying Burke will be here too, if you look.

Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
  #72
Doppler Drift
Registered User
 
Doppler Drift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,469
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungGuns View Post
hmmm did you guys watch the presser ?

Klowe didnt mention hemsky's name .....

he said Hall , Yak , Rnh , Gag, PRV, Jschultz and DD
He also didn't mention Smid and Petry as well as many other players. So what?

Doppler Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
  #73
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man
 
SeriousBusiness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,601
vCash: 500
Just my two cents on this:

- MacT was saying all the right things today. Words are just words, but if he actually sticks to them, I can handle him as GM.

- I like the fact MacT wasn't sugar coating today at the presser. The team sucks, there need to be changes made.

- I can't help but wonder if MacT brings his own coach in next season if we don't start off well. Maybe Krueger doesn't even make it to training camp next year? I think he does though.

- I'd still like to see the Oilers bring in an outsider to the fold. Fresh blood is never a bad thing, and Howsen doesn't count.

-Tambo had the benefit of coming in as GM knowing they'd be rebuilding and that he'd have a lot of wiggle room if the team didn't perform well. MacT doesn't have that, which hopefully will spur him to actually do something.

- Bottom line, it's refreshing to hear him talk frankly about this team's weaknesses. We haven't had that kind of candid talk for a long time.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
  #74
Gabriel6676
Registered User
 
Gabriel6676's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 249
vCash: 500
So we get a coach we fired as a gm, hired by another gm who was fired, who hired the latest gm to be fired. And no one would hire the coach we fired and now hired to be our gm...? The idea when tambo was brought in was fresh blood....

None of these guys has succeeded. I am seriously without a clue as to what is going on now with this franchise.

Edit: personally I like MacT - but what the....?

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
  #75
andrewmn
Registered User
 
andrewmn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,070
vCash: 500
It has the stench of foul cronyism.

The press conference was not Lowe's finest moment. Stale jokes...he came off as defensive. They talked more about the past than the future.

andrewmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:10 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.