HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hershey (AHL) and Reading (ECHL) 2012-13 Season

Old
04-15-2013, 10:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
McPhee has to think before he signs off, don't ya think?
Only insomuch as it affects the NHL club, which would usually only be in terms of taking on contracts.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Only insomuch as it affects the NHL club, which would usually only be in terms of taking on contracts.
True enough but you made it sound like he just signs off, no offense.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Lurch,

I know you are getting jumped on a bit here but it is basically due to:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fa...b3_board_usage

You know how it is with the internets as people can claim anything they want (even if it is true). Personal opinions are naturally are always welcome.
I did this last year when I found out about the AHL winter classic and Hershey passing on the All Star game. I have no desire to prove my bona fides every time I make a post and to every pot stirrer who does not like what I have to say. Obviously, I cannot say exactly who I was talking to on the staff who is griping about the way this season is going with the Caps, other than it was not Yingst.

Lurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Bears currently 10th in the East with 77 points in 73 GP. They're 4 back of Portland (who has a game in hand), 2 back of Norfolk, 2 back of Connecticut (who gives a game in hand to Hershey), and even with Manchester. Not certain of the tiebreakers.

ChibiPooky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:04 AM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I did this last year when I found out about the AHL winter classic and Hershey passing on the All Star game. I have no desire to prove my bona fides every time I make a post and to every pot stirrer who does not like what I have to say. Obviously, I cannot say exactly who I was talking to on the staff who is griping about the way this season is going with the Caps, other than it was not Yingst.
If you want to continue to blast the Capitals I suggest going to Pennlive. Join the losers there who with b**** and moan about anything they can and don't talk hockey. You will fit right in.

hb11xchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hb11xchamps View Post
If you want to continue to blast the Capitals I suggest going to Pennlive. Join the losers there who with b**** and moan about anything they can and don't talk hockey. You will fit right in.
I am not blasting the Caps, but GMGM and how he craps on the Bears. Most Caps fans would love to be rid of GMGM, more Bears fans feel the same for much of the same reasons. Look at the main Caps board and you will see the same comments about how he is/was screwing the Caps as well. I want the Bears as far away from him as possible. Since Ted has no intention of firing this man, I was hoping for an affiliation change.

Since I am more of a Bears fan than Caps fan I should move on to another board instead of the Hershey Bears board? Seems I was talking hockey and legitimate concerns, you just did not agree with my opinion. You correctly point out that a great many local fans (as can be found on PennLive) are also not happy with the current situation. So, what you are saying is that anyone who does not agree with you is wrong and not a real hockey fan. I suggest that you be the one to take your ball and go home, I am comfy where I am.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Lurch

How about going forward we focus on the fantastic year Reading is having, their awesome coach, and root on the Bears as they hopefully win out this weekend and get a shot at the playoffs.

If anyone wants to continue to come at me for my views on how the Caps treats its minor league teams please do so via PM. I really have no urge to discuss it any further on the public forum. The Bears are with the Caps and McPhee for at least one more year. Yingst with the approval of McPhee signed some great players leading up to the deadline. Once this new team gells, they will be a force to be reckoned with. I think this is something we can all get behind.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Millhaus

I'm just curious, when did your dissatisfaction with Bears/Caps affiliation begin and given the tremendous success that has resulted from this affiliation for the Bears as recently as 2010 when did the goodwill run out?

I mean honestly Caps fans complaining about McPhee I get, whether I agree or not, given the lack of playoff success. Bears fans on the other hand with 3 championships and another appearance in the finals in the last 7 years complaining seems amazingly greedy IMO.

I mean think about it. You are saying, 'we are about to have gone 3 whole seasons without a championship' and asking Caps fans to have sympathy for you. Seriously...?

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:20 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Backing off the 'Caps ignore the Bears' stance quickly, I see.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:21 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
I am not blasting the Caps, but GMGM and how he craps on the Bears. Most Caps fans would love to be rid of GMGM, more Bears fans feel the same for much of the same reasons. Look at the main Caps board and you will see the same comments about how he is/was screwing the Caps as well. I want the Bears as far away from him as possible. Since Ted has no intention of firing this man, I was hoping for an affiliation change.

Since I am more of a Bears fan than Caps fan I should move on to another board instead of the Hershey Bears board? Seems I was talking hockey and legitimate concerns, you just did not agree with my opinion. You correctly point out that a great many local fans (as can be found on PennLive) are also not happy with the current situation. So, what you are saying is that anyone who does not agree with you is wrong and not a real hockey fan. I suggest that you be the one to take your ball and go home, I am comfy where I am.
I know that Caps fans don't like McPhee and I am one of them but you keep going on with this assumption that GMGM craps on the Bears without any evidence at all. If you are referring to the Caps not providing the Bears with prospects based off of McPhee's drafting then you are naive. Every single team in the AHL goes through stages where prospects skip the AHL or don't live up to their potential. Every single team has the GM trade away picks (Pittsburgh traded away a lot of them this year) to help the parent club when they think they have a legitimate chance of being a Cup contender no just McPhee. I would argue the complete opposite of your opinion on him. He has helped out the Bears tremendously on and off the ice. Yingst and McPhee have worked together to shape the rosters the past few years with very little talent from the prospects. McPhee went out and signed Schilling and now Schmidt the past two years as college free agents and sent them to Hershey and they have contributed. In the Erat trade he got us Lata. Off the ice, McPhee is at a good amount of the Bears games and I have seen him there myself. McPhee and Mike Green flew from Tampa earlier this year to attend the Outdoor Classic. I'm sure GMGM also had a say in hosting the AHL showcase and worked with the Bears to make sure it didn't take away a home game from the Hershey season ticket holders. I have come up with numerous examples and all you have to say for yourself is you have "inside information".

Oh and another thing, LOL at saying the Pennlive posters are great local fans. Have you read the board in the past few weeks? All they do is complain about anything they can.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

What NHL GM has had his AHL affiliate win more Calder Cups than McPhee?

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:47 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
How about going forward we focus on the fantastic year Reading is having, their awesome coach, and root on the Bears as they hopefully win out this weekend and get a shot at the playoffs.
Florida has apparently brought some help in from AHL Syracuse in the form of a "ringer" (so says a Royals beat writer, anyway). Dunno if it affected the series against Elmira though. Hopefully RR continue to get standout goaltending performances from Owuya and Gill. Florida is a dangerous team.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Florida has apparently brought some help in from AHL Syracuse in the form of a "ringer" (so says a Royals beat writer, anyway). Dunno if it affected the series against Elmira though. Hopefully RR continue to get standout goaltending performances from Owuya and Gill. Florida is a dangerous team.
I can see why he's upset about it, but Irwin has 38 games played in the ECHL (29 points) compared to 20 in the AHL (4 points). Also to note that Trevor Bruess, former Bear and Caps property plays for Florida and is an assistant captain.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
His position last time we went through this was that McPhee hadn't given them any of the major pieces that contributed to those wins. ( )

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Lurch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
The joke is this team celebrating its 75th anniversary by missing the playoffs for only the 12th time in its history. Preceeded by two early 1st round exits.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
The joke is this team celebrating its 75th anniversary by missing the playoffs for only the 12th time in its history. Preceeded by two early 1st round exits.

In other words, the Bears miss the playoffs once every six years or so. Considering this may be the first time the Bears miss the playoffs under McPhee in the eight years they've been together, he's actually doing better than average in that respect. Oh yeah, and there's the three Calder Cups during that span.

Do you know what the Bears did the two seasons before they became affiliated with Washington/McPhee? Miss the playoffs.

McPhee has plenty of faults. Stiffing Hershey is absolutely not one of them.

Hivemind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:17 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Preceded by...?

Millhaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

I love Hershey. Fantastic park, or so I remember. Used to play in the Thanksgiving Tournament every year during youth hockey. Loved getting dressed in the locker room and playing in the arena.

Go Bears.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:13 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
The first of those two early exits came on the heels of a 100-point season - not exactly the Albany Devils, is it?

The Bears - Caps relationship is matched by less than half a dozen AHL - NHL pairings, if you look at it. Over 20 caps draftees have come through Hershey during the affiliation, many playing significant roles on the Bears.

Beyind that, look at the non - draftees. Free agent players have been drawn to Hershey & have been allowed to come here. The Caps have, at times, signed guys to 2-ways that they had no intention of playing in DC, knowing they'd help out here (probably at the request of Doug Yingst). We're also allowed (and financially able) to sign our own players, which not a lot of AHL teams can do outside of ECHL callups.

You want a bad affiliate? Remember Colorado, during the 0-16-2 stretch of 2001-02, saying "We don't care about the won-lost record, as long as we feel our players are developing" (which they proved by barely helping us at all during the 2004 lockout). Player personnel disgreements with Philly forced the Bears to go out and get Frederic Chabot without permission, which was the beginning of the end of that marriage.

There are a ton of affiliates that are a LOT worse off than us. Springfield, Albany, even the Phantoms have had many more down years than us. Manchester, who just LOVES to play the prospects, has been past the first round twice in their team's history. The Binghamton Senators have made the playoffs once since we've been with the Caps up to this year.

We're just spoiled by success, but the Caps have done right by us way more than any other affiliate we've had. It truly amazes me that people can't see that.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:11 PM
hb11xchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
The first of those two early exits came on the heels of a 100-point season - not exactly the Albany Devils, is it?

The Bears - Caps relationship is matched by less than half a dozen AHL - NHL pairings, if you look at it. Over 20 caps draftees have come through Hershey during the affiliation, many playing significant roles on the Bears.

Beyind that, look at the non - draftees. Free agent players have been drawn to Hershey & have been allowed to come here. The Caps have, at times, signed guys to 2-ways that they had no intention of playing in DC, knowing they'd help out here (probably at the request of Doug Yingst). We're also allowed (and financially able) to sign our own players, which not a lot of AHL teams can do outside of ECHL callups.

You want a bad affiliate? Remember Colorado, during the 0-16-2 stretch of 2001-02, saying "We don't care about the won-lost record, as long as we feel our players are developing" (which they proved by barely helping us at all during the 2004 lockout). Player personnel disgreements with Philly forced the Bears to go out and get Frederic Chabot without permission, which was the beginning of the end of that marriage.

There are a ton of affiliates that are a LOT worse off than us. Springfield, Albany, even the Phantoms have had many more down years than us. Manchester, who just LOVES to play the prospects, has been past the first round twice in their team's history. The Binghamton Senators have made the playoffs once since we've been with the Caps up to this year.

We're just spoiled by success, but the Caps have done right by us way more than any other affiliate we've had. It truly amazes me that people can't see that.

Well said. As a Bears fan I can appreciate the Caps and what the management has done.

Old
04-19-2013, 09:43 PM
Koized

Hershey with the much needed win tonight. Latta with a goal.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 08:28 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Bears won tonight to lock up the 8th spot and make the playoffs.

Reading tied its series with Florida at 1.

Old
04-21-2013, 10:51 PM
hb11xchamps

Bears won 4-2 tonight against the Monarchs and clinched the 8th seed in the playoffs. They will face Graham Mink and Chris Bourque in the first round against the Providence Bruins.

Thoughts on the players tonight:

1. Grubauer played outstanding. He kept Hershey's lead early with a few stellar saves and overall let in two goals. First goal the ref should have blown the whistle early and the puck came loose. Second goal was a deflection

2. Schmidt's offensive game is very very good. Nice shot from the point and very creative on the PP. He also is a tremendous passer and can lead the breakout well. While his offense is great, his defense and strength needs some work IMO

3. Latta is a nice addition to this team. He is a great skater, very physical, and strong on the puck for his size. He wins a lot of battles in the corners and is great on the PK. His only downfall that I noticed was that he lost a lot of faceoffs. That needs work. I'm really impressed with this guy and I think he can contribute to the Caps very soon

4. Nick Deschamps has been pretty solid from the games I watched. He might not be scoring but he does the little things to help out his line. He is a big boy but he can skate very well and is very fast. He isn't afraid to hit and blocked a few shots (One without a stick on the PK that was amazing). He could be a solid 3rd or 4th line energy guy in the NHL some day.

5. Schilling is still coming along nicely. He is very solid. Didn't notice any flaws tonight with him