HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Josh Gorges $3.9M/6 years Bad Contract or Good?

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Did we really give him 6 years? Lovely.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Did we really give him 6 years? Lovely.
The 2 turnovers tonight was glaring but he has the capability to be a good player and help the team win. This season has been awful though. Maybe not having to play for a contract has eased him off the throttle a bit?

Old
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
The 2 turnovers tonight was glaring but he has the capability to be a good player and help the team win. This season has been awful though. Maybe not having to play for a contract has eased him off the throttle a bit?
He's not a problem by himself, but it's clear when more is expected from him besides getting into position to blocked shots he's average at best. That really wasn't a good contract, the price is one thing but I didn't realize it was that long too. I'm not really a fan of signing middle of the road players that long.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
This thread make me ..

I hate our fanbase such a crybaby/bipolar one..

We are one of the best team in the league but we are playing crap hockey for 2 games and we have thread like these...

Such a disgrace and bunch of clowns fans we have here !

Old
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
This thread make me ..

We are one of the best team in the league but we are playing crap hockey for 2 games and we have thread like these...

There's times where it's just a couple bad games and you overreact. And there's times where you can see big problems a mile away. For me, it's the latter right now.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:37 PM
KadrüH

Quote:
This thread make me ..

Yep, I concur. I'm actually ashamed to be part of this fanbase. One or two bad games from Gorges and he's not worth 3.9 millions anymore, Price sucks, etc. Ridiculous.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsawce View Post
There's times where it's just a couple bad games and you overreact. And there's times where you can see big problems a mile away. For me, it's the latter right now.
I'm willing to bet to anybody on here that if we decided to put Gorges on the trade block, 29 other team GM would call Bergevin.

People overreact a lot. Gorges has played bad the last few games fine but he still lead the habs on shot block (and is one of the best in the NHL) and play solid defense. I don't see any major flaw in his game.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:01 PM
WakeUpNHL

Gorges is exposed playing as a #2 dman(22 min). More suited to play #4 minutes (18min).
Our D depth is being exposed with Emelin out and Bergevin not addressing our defensive depth at the trade deadline.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
This thread make me ..

Errr...take a look at when I made this thread. I think fans overreact...but what makes me even sicker are the koolaid drinking fanboys. The same guys who thought Gainey was making great moves. The same ones who defened every pathetic move our front office made. Those are the worst kind of fans. Unable to think objectively.

Gorges is a solid player who has a bad contract. Is blocking shots and leadership really worth 4M over 6 years?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Errr...take a look at when I made this thread. I think fans overreact...but what makes me even sicker are the koolaid drinking fanboys. The same guys who thought Gainey was making great moves. The same ones who defened every pathetic move our front office made. Those are the worst kind of fans. Unable to think objectively.

Gorges is a solid player who has a bad contract. Is blocking shots and leadership really worth 4M over 6 years?
My dead serious answer, yes !

It's his role to play defense and against other top team line and he has done relatively well over his career at doing it.

When you think that player like Mike Komisarek, Mathias Ohlund, Tomas Kaberle, Eric Brewer, John Michael Liles, Tyler Myers, Dennis Wideman, Anton Volchenkov, Ron Hainsey, Ed Jovanovski, Jack Johnson, Ryan Whitney make more or similar money you are out of touch if you think Gorges is massively overpriced.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:

It's his role to play defense and against other top team line and he has done relatively well over his career at doing it.

When you think that player like Mike Komisarek, Mathias Ohlund, Tomas Kaberle, Eric Brewer, John Michael Liles, Tyler Myers, Dennis Wideman, Anton Volchenkov, Ron Hainsey, Ed Jovanovski, Jack Johnson, Ryan Whitney make more or similar money you are out of touch if you think Gorges is massively overpriced.
So basically...overpay Gorges because other players are overpayed? Brewer warranted his deal and was a better player than Gorges when he got that deal. I'd take Jack JOhnson over Gorges any day of the week....

Gorges isn't the type of player you lock up for 6 years. Think about that for a second 6 ****ign years for Josh Gorges. LMAO

Old
04-15-2013, 10:37 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
So basically...overpay Gorges because other players are overpayed? Brewer warranted his deal and was a better player than Gorges when he got that deal. I'd take Jack JOhnson over Gorges any day of the week....

Gorges isn't the type of player you lock up for 6 years. Think about that for a second 6 ****ign years for Josh Gorges. LMAO
How about because it is how the market set the price for top 4 free agent defensemen???
Jack Johnson has to be the most overrated forward (sorry defenseman) on the NHL.
As for the 6 years ? How about we signed a solid defenseman at his peak for the next 6 years ?
People are seriously in need of life if you clearly believe that Gorges at 3.9m$ is a grossly overpaid player. Like seriously ? What's next... Diaz is overpaid because he is riding the bike and not on the ice... I mean seriously people..

Old
04-15-2013, 10:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
This thread make me ..

No, some of actually watch the game, understand it, and understand Gorges is an overpaid dman who gets exposed a lot. Sorry if you can't spot his inabilities.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Tyson

Gorges is a solid D, worth the money. He is wearing down. I am glad he is a Hab, gives it his all every game

Old
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No, some of actually watch the game, understand it, and understand Gorges is an overpaid dman who gets exposed a lot. Sorry if you can't spot his inabilities.
Sorry if we are at the top of the division with an overpaid squad... this is the right board for you if you want underpaid hockey that are vastly underrated ====> http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Sorry If I can't spot defenseman that play against top line player year after year and always finish on the positive +/- unlike major star defenseman like this guy ===> http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search

Old
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Habs Junkie

Quote:

I think you just named some of the worst contracts in the NHL

Having Gorges compared to that isn't doing you many favours

Old
04-15-2013, 10:55 PM
Jeffrey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
I think you just named some of the worst contracts in the NHL

Having Gorges compared to that isn't doing you many favours
Okay then find me the comparable that are vastly underpaid ! (not on entry-level contract or bridge contract please!)

Old
04-15-2013, 11:02 PM
DrunkenHabz

Quote:
Originally Posted by StellerEller View Post
His contract is fine if he's used right.

I know it's not his fault, but:

GET
HIM
OFF
THE
PP
Hell yeah, please.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
This thread make me ..

I think the problem resides more about the timing that some have compared to the actual discussion of any subject. I'm pretty sure that at the time, I did think that 4 M$ per year for a unidimensional d-man, as great his leadership seemed to be, way way too much. And by unidimensional, I'M not solely talking about only being defensive. 'Cause some could be AND solely defensive, AND physical. While Gorges is purely and solely defensive. But a good player nonetheless.

Now, going back to the timing, the problem here is that, if we wait till the Habs win 10 games in a row and then voice the opinion that Gorges is overpaid, well the other thing happen that, first, you look stupid 'cause he might actually be playing well during that stint, and 2, you look even more stupid 'cause you are voicing a "negative" opinion during a winning streak. So you actually have to wait till they lose to voice it....but then is seen as a whiner and a stupid fan. I guess there's no winning in voicing opinions....

Now, it's one thing to think he's overpaid. And another to think that he's useless. I think that those fans are the ones we should concentrate on. If people wait for a couple of games and then use that to try to prove how AHL'er he plays like...well THEN crucify them....But I say it's a minority....

Old
04-15-2013, 11:19 PM
coolasprICE

Nobody can question his heart but he seems significantly weaker in puck battles and looks outmatched more often than in years past. Just an observation.

What do the stats say?

Old
04-15-2013, 11:37 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Nobody can question his heart but he seems significantly weaker in puck battles and looks outmatched more often than in years past. Just an observation.

What do the stats say?
Advanced stats? He's getting dominated, but along with Diaz and Markov have been given the hardest role on the team (all three are in the red possession wise, Markov the least of the three). But our defense usage this year has been very weird.

Superficial stats, well he has 60 hits, which is above average but not outstanding league-wise and puts him 6th on the team after Emelin (who is dominating the rest of the team with over 100), Prust, Eller, Moen and Boullion in that order.

Blocks, he's leading the team of course, with almost twice as many as second place Markov.

He's +5

He's following the same trends he always does, he's just getting exposed more clearly in open ice IMO.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:25 AM
Laboeuf

I don't know about you but every defenseman who played with Markov has looked awesome and gone on to sign a huge contract and suck afterward, Souray, Komisarek, maybe Streit. But Gorges playing with Markov, he seems to suck right now.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Habs

Quote:
Sorry if we are at the top of the division with an overpaid squad... this is the right board for you if you want underpaid hockey that are vastly underrated ====> http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Sorry If I can't spot defenseman that play against top line player year after year and always finish on the positive +/- unlike major star defenseman like this guy ===> http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id...vid=nhl-search
Sorry if a lockout schedule isn't going to stop my inabilities to find some glaring holes in this team. They give Gorges way to much responsibility, far beyond his abilities. He isn't big enough to play the kind of minutes he does, the way he does.

I guess I'm waiting for the playoffs to see what this team is about.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:47 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
agree

Old
04-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Bieber fever

It's seems like he have changed , but he was a MASSIVE ********* in his first year in MTL. He was he the "party gang " ( komisarek , higgins , price ect.)

6 years for 5th dman risky

Closed Thread