HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Free Agent Frenzy
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Free Agent Frenzy Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Who does Mac T trade

Old
04-15-2013, 09:12 PM
McShogun99

vCash: 500
If Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger and Dubnyk are all replaced this summer then Mac T will be the greatest Oiler GM since Sather.

McShogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:24 PM
Kbs

What kind of return/players do Oiler fans expect for Hemsky? By the sounds of it, he seems like the most likely player to be traded.

Kbs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:31 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbs View Post
What kind of return/players do Oiler fans expect for Hemsky? By the sounds of it, he seems like the most likely player to be traded.
Probably a skill for grit trade. Hemsky for a very good 3rd liner is probably what will happen.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
If Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger and Dubnyk are all replaced this summer then Mac T will be the greatest Oiler GM since Sather.
I see what you did there.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:39 PM
OntheBackcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
He won't trade any of the young kids unless it's worth it. I have a feeling he's going to be busy though. Gagner could potentially be traded I think, which wouldn't have happened under Tambo.
I don't see much value in dealing the young core up front, even Gagner unless of course a solid Dman is on the way to Edmonton. Hemsky makes a lot of sense

OntheBackcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:41 PM
SDig14

At this point, I think any player, prospect or pick is available outside of Hall, RNH, Ebs, Schultz and Yakupov.

Out first in 2013, Gagner, Paajarvi, Hemsky, etc likely will be the first types of pieces moved to improve.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
sabresandcanucks

I'm not sure if it will happen, but I could see a Myers for Eberle or Yak trade discussion happen over the summer.

sabresandcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:49 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
One of these is not like the other. Dubnyk has had a good season, he needs a quality backup.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
Probably a skill for grit trade. Hemsky for a very good 3rd liner is probably what will happen.
Fair enough. Any particular players you think Edmonton might be interested in? I think I saw some Oiler posters suggest a straight up swap of Hemsky for Ott on their forum, but I don't think that's very likely.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Gritty depth players. Third line checking type. Or a package for a top pair d-man (where Hemsky isn't the main piece, don't flame over this one, lol).

Old
04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Fair enough. Any particular players you think Edmonton might be interested in? I think I saw some Oiler posters suggest a straight up swap of Hemsky for Ott on their forum, but I don't think that's very likely.
That would be perfect for Edmonton, but I doubt Buffalo wants a guy like Hemsky. Really, any tough, gritty guys who can score once in awhile should be considered.

Old
Ewan McGregor

vCash: 1053
hopefully all of them

easy answer would be pajaarvi, gagner

Ewan McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

I suspect he trades everyone. Now that's bold!

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
Mentallydull

I don't see Hall, Yakupov, or RNH going anywhere.

Any other forward would likely be open for business.

Mentallydull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Hemsky for a 3rd line center or a 2nd pairing stay at home d-man.

He's not going to trade Gagner or either of the top 4. He can't afford to get anything in return that's going to contribute as much as they do.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Roof Daddy

As others have mentioned, Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Yak, Schultz, Smid and Klefbom are highly unlikely to be available. Everything else would be on the table, including the pick which as of tonight is 6-8th (but again unlikely short of being packaged into a blockbuster). Some moves I'd be interested in (hopefully reality based):

Gagner, Paajarvi for Yandle. It was rumoured to have been discussed on the draft floor last year, with PHX declining. Gagner has taken a big step forward in terms of rounding out his game and producing consistently. Paajarvi a much smaller step, but still a positive one. Yandle has maintained his status as a very good offensive Dman, but soft and average on the defensive side of the puck. Pretty much what J Schultz seems slated to become.

Hemsky (2.5 mil absorbed) for Peverley. Neither has had a very good season, but both have something to offer help to the other team's weakness. Peverley can win draws, Hemsky can run a PP. With half the hit absorbed, BOS would save 500k in a season they need to get Rask extended. Peverley is under contract for 2 seasons, the perfect amount of time to fill in the 2C role until Monohan is ready (assuming we get him in the draft).

Offer our 2nd + Pitlick for Setoguchi. Minny needs cap flexibility if they are going to re-sign Backstrom. Frees up 3mil and gives them back a pick seeing as how they gave up their 1st. Setoguchi only has 1 yr left on his deal.

Sign Viktor Stalberg. No guarantee he gets to UFA, but he's big, fast, plays a solid physical game and produces in a 3rd line role (14 mins per game last 2 years, good for 20G, 40pts). On our team I think he could be a 2nd line LW. Gladly offer 2.5-3mil per.

Hall-Nuge-Yak (The # 1 line)
Stalberg-Peverley-Ebs (Peverley and Ebs looked good together at Worlds 3 yrs ago)
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Setoguchi
Petrell-Lander-Brown

Yandle-Petry
Smid-JSchultz
Klefbom-NSchultz
Fistric

Dubnyk
?

Not a drastic improvement, but improved D, size, speed and grit up front and overall depth (much stronger 3rd line IMO). Relies on the young guns to continue to grow/have bounce back seasons, but I think it's a playoff calibre team if they do.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
As others have mentioned, Hall, Ebs, Nuge, Yak, Schultz, Smid and Klefbom are highly unlikely to be available. Everything else would be on the table, including the pick which as of tonight is 6-8th (but again unlikely short of being packaged into a blockbuster). Some moves I'd be interested in (hopefully reality based):

Gagner, Paajarvi for Yandle. It was rumoured to have been discussed on the draft floor last year, with PHX declining. Gagner has taken a big step forward in terms of rounding out his game and producing consistently. Paajarvi a much smaller step, but still a positive one. Yandle has maintained his status as a very good offensive Dman, but soft and average on the defensive side of the puck. Pretty much what J Schultz seems slated to become.

Hemsky (2.5 mil absorbed) for Peverley. Neither has had a very good season, but both have something to offer help to the other team's weakness. Peverley can win draws, Hemsky can run a PP. With half the hit absorbed, BOS would save 500k in a season they need to get Rask extended. Peverley is under contract for 2 seasons, the perfect amount of time to fill in the 2C role until Monohan is ready (assuming we get him in the draft).

Offer our 2nd + Pitlick for Setoguchi. Minny needs cap flexibility if they are going to re-sign Backstrom. Frees up 3mil and gives them back a pick seeing as how they gave up their 1st. Setoguchi only has 1 yr left on his deal.

Sign Viktor Stalberg. No guarantee he gets to UFA, but he's big, fast, plays a solid physical game and produces in a 3rd line role (14 mins per game last 2 years, good for 20G, 40pts). On our team I think he could be a 2nd line LW. Gladly offer 2.5-3mil per.

Hall-Nuge-Yak (The # 1 line)
Stalberg-Peverley-Ebs (Peverley and Ebs looked good together at Worlds 3 yrs ago)
Hartikainen-Horcoff-Setoguchi
Petrell-Lander-Brown

Yandle-Petry
Smid-JSchultz
Klefbom-NSchultz
Fistric

Dubnyk
?

Not a drastic improvement, but improved D, size, speed and grit up front and overall depth (much stronger 3rd line IMO). Relies on the young guns to continue to grow/have bounce back seasons, but I think it's a playoff calibre team if they do.
Backstrom makes 6 mill this year. Will he really ask for so much more that they dump Setoguchi? Not to mention, Cullen and Bouchard are off the books.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:06 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Backstrom makes 6 mill this year. Will he really ask for so much more that they dump Setoguchi? Not to mention, Cullen and Bouchard are off the books.
He isn't under contract for next year though, and the already have 58.9mil committed. Even if he signs for 5 mil, that would leave them 400k to sign 2D and 2F. League min is 525k.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Kbs

Quote:
He isn't under contract for next year though, and the already have 58.9mil committed. Even if he signs for 5 mil, that would leave them 400k to sign 2D and 2F. League min is 525k.
Ah, I had a brain fart and forgot that the cap goes from 70mill to 64mill. Maybe they would consider a deal based around that then. Backstrom isn't someone they can afford to lose.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
Roof Daddy

Also, Minny has Clutterbuck as RFA and Cullen (whose been great for them) as UFA. There is the compliance buyout option (Heatley), but why waste that on a guy with only 1 yr left?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
I don't know if they even keep Backstrom. There are other, cheaper options this summer. If they were going to keep him for sure, they would have extended him already I'm sure.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:19 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

My guess is Sam Gagner.. for some defensive help. They'll sell high on him and it'll be a sign of good things to come in Edmonton

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
My guess is Sam Gagner.. for some defensive help. They'll sell high on him and it'll be a sign of good things to come in Edmonton
This is a very real possibility. I'd be worried about the Oil getting to weak up the middle, but blueline help is needed.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I don't know if they even keep Backstrom. There are other, cheaper options this summer. If they were going to keep him for sure, they would have extended him already I'm sure.
And they wouldn't have traded Hackett...meaning that they are going with Harding and Kuepner(sp?).

IMO, Backstrom is as good as gone.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:29 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
This is a very real possibility. I'd be worried about the Oil getting to weak up the middle, but blueline help is needed.
RNH will be back, better than ever. If I'm running the Oilers I'm not concerned about the center position, I believe in RNH.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote