HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
It has the stench of foul cronyism.

The press conference was not Lowe's finest moment. Stale jokes...he came off as defensive. They talked more about the past than the future.
He's not running for Prime Minister. I don't think anyone cares what he says as long as we see improvement of the hockey club next season.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Man was I ever pissed off last night. I was exhausted and come home to the shock of Edmonton replacing Tambo with Mac-T.

It comes down to the following.

1: Are we going to bring in more scouts with a good track record? No? Then this means nothing.
2: Are we going to start putting more money into our development system (AHL/ECHL) ? jNo? Then this means nothing.
3: Are we going to do something over the off-season to address our depth issues? No? Then this means nothing.

Mac-T has a ton of work ahead of him.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
(need LW)-Gagner-Yak
Magnus-(Need C)- Hartikainen
(Need LW) - Lander - Smithson
need extra forward

Smid-Petry
Schultz-(need stay at home d-man)
(need PMD)- N schultz
maybe fistric resigns if not need #7 d-man

Duby
Need back-up goalie.

Need 7 players.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:51 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
What about this thread you started?

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...037&highlight=
I am trying to find the thread I started about 4 years ago where I raised concerns about Tambo and why he kept getting overlooked for other GMS jobs-- he was short listed 5 or 6 times while with Vancouver--and the end was all the same--teams passed on him for the suspicion that he was gun shy to do the big deal and could not multi-task

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:54 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I am trying to find the thread I started about 4 years ago where I raised concerns about Tambo and why he kept getting overlooked for other GMS jobs-- he was short listed 5 or 6 times while with Vancouver--and the end was all the same--teams passed on him for the suspicion that he was gun shy to do the big deal and could not multi-task
Kudos sir. After two seasons of 30th I was like yea this guy has no idea how to build a team.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailor Hopberle View Post
Somebody needs to make a MacT one...

*I don't know who made the original but if you're gonna make your own, I'll take mine down.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Asher

I listened to Tencer's show tonight... the entire show. Not one mention of the poll results that show fans 2 to 1 against the MacT hiring. Dan mentioned the poll itself a couple of times, but nothing of the results. This guy is so ridiculously in management's pocket that it's sickening to listen to him. And of course, the poll is only the cherry on top. He's been cheerleading this move all night.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:57 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post

*I don't know who made the original but if you're gonna make your own, I'll take mine down.
What we need is the Kevin Lowe gif. He's the one who's really trolling us.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:04 PM
mactforcoach

First of all who says Lowe didn't consider other replacements? I doubt he woke up yesterday and decided to fire Tambo & bring in MacT. This has been coming for some time now. MacT is a pretty savvy hockey guy with a very competitive edge so it might work out good. For ***** at least give him a chance. If Smyth is gone this summer and he makes a big trade for top end talent I'll believe he's serious. I could care less about the "old boys club" people need to drop that line of thinking. It's about getting people in place that will make tough decisions and push the team. Hell he called up two players today before the ink was dry on the deal, what does that tell you? And you know if he could have the team would have been bag skated Sunday morning.

mactforcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:08 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
He also didn't mention eberle (i think) i doubt he was hinting at anything with the names he was listing
That being said i expect something to happen this summer because of how MacT talked about bold moves, whether that means hemsky or gagner or anyone else i'm really not sure
I could see him moving our first in the up coming draft.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:11 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: MacT is a smart man, but with all the losing here, hiring a buddy instead of undertaking a thorough search is arrogant and irresponsible

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mactforcoach View Post
First of all who says Lowe didn't consider other replacements? I doubt he woke up yesterday and decided to fire Tambo & bring in MacT. This has been coming for some time now. MacT is a pretty savvy hockey guy with a very competitive edge so it might work out good. For ***** at least give him a chance. If Smyth is gone this summer and he makes a big trade for top end talent I'll believe he's serious. I could care less about the "old boys club" people need to drop that line of thinking. It's about getting people in place that will make tough decisions and push the team. Hell he called up two players today before the ink was dry on the deal, what does that tell you? And you know if he could have the team would have been bag skated Sunday morning.
I think they'll convince Smyth to retire this summer. Offer him a position with the Oil Kings as an assistant coach to entice him and keep him close to home.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:13 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post

Thank you, sir.

Could we get a Krueger one too?

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@SUN_TYCHKOWSKI: MacT is a smart man, but with all the losing here, hiring a buddy instead of undertaking a thorough search is arrogant and irresponsible
Wow. When the media in this town grow a pair?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Pablo Aimar

"Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

Seriously. Thatís what you are being asked to swallow."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/1...the-team-needs

The media response today has been excellent, for once.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:17 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
"Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

That quote is exactly why it's very hard to be excited about Tambo getting fired.

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:20 PM
Asher

Quote:

Unless you listen to CHED. Tencer was waving his pompoms all night today. "Give me an 'M,' give me an 'A'..." It was pathetic.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Unless you listen to CHED. Tencer was waving his pompoms all night today. "Give me an 'M,' give me an 'A'..." It was pathetic.
Tencer and Stauffer aren't media. They are paid PR/shills.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:28 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Kudos sir. After two seasons of 30th I was like yea this guy has no idea how to build a team.
I am trying to find the thread--one problem with me (fill in own joke here) is with my posting it is hard to find some of my threads. I am not sure is it was 4 years ago or a year into tambo reign I created a thread--which I got somewhat raked over the coals by some-- where I brought up why he had been passed over by so many teams.

Tambo was in Vancouver when Quinn was running the joint and when Quinn left and Burke was made boss, Tambo got a bump in title, he was part of the Nonis-McPhee-Tambo trifecta of three assistant GMS and under Burke all three were always being mentioned as being interviewed for the GM spot and after Mcphee got his job and I think it was Tony Gallagher who wrote an article about why Tambo kept getting short listed for the big chair--but teams were concerned about his ability to run a team. I am looking for the thread and as a I recall, many people had the same concern I did at the time--other had faith with him

Old
04-15-2013, 10:30 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Lowe is a grade A ****.

I'm one of those inferior fans that have followed the team religiously for decades... but simply haven't lived close enough to go to games... living for the last dozen years over 12,000 km away. Now I'm a lot closer... just 600 km away... still not very convenient to attend many games.

I think collectively though all those non-ticket holders do "something" to support the team as well.

I've been patient as well watching crap for many, many years while drinking in the Kool-Aid and waiting for this team to get better.

Personally I'm going to simply call it as I see it. The team is crap and I'd obviously like them to make the playoffs and eventually win a Cup.

They are far, far away from that level now and if Lowe is comfortable with calling a huge sector of the fans inferior, I'm certainly comfortable in calling a spade a spade and saying "HIS" team is **** and will be until they get rid of that arrogant, entitled man at the top of the pyramid of mediocrity.

I'm still an Oilers fan... still support the rebuild... but 7 years of no playoffs is enough, time to **** or get off the ****ing pot Lowe. The team needs major changes to help surround the core with the pieces needed to make a competitive team.

Perpetual churning of the same management minds doesn't look like an intelligent strategy to improve this team... but since we are stuck in this groundhog day scenario forever... nothing an inferior fan like me can do but wait and see what happens this summer, next season... and the season after etc etc.

Honestly I WISH the superior STH fans had some greater powers to actually improve this team and get them to the promised land and break this playoff drought. If they collectively could somehow push for a firing of that mastermind at the top... well that would be an excellent use of their collective clout for the greater good of the organization.

Honestly though, I think the superior fans are in the same boat as inferior fans like me... reduced to hoping and waiting (and *****ing and moaning) until the team turns the corner someday and gets back to consistent competitiveness again.

Honestly not holding my breath anymore and I'll be more realistic in my appraisals and expectations going forward. Reality and actual results on the ice are all that's going to matter to me (not that I actually matter of course).

I've drank my last glass of Kool-Aid... it was cheap dollar store knock-off "grape drink"... not the good stuff the real fans get served at Rexall.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:31 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
If it doesn't work they're all getting fired anyways, even the biggest cynic believes this is Lowe's last stand. I'm willing to give MacT a chance. If it works, if it's the right fit, is it still "arrogant and irresponsible"? Winning solves a lot of problems. Lowe's neck, Lowe's choice and I'm fine with it. Hopefully this works...

jeety mcjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Krut

Quote:

I like MacT, even when he was the coach. I was one of the very few on here that didn't hate him when his time as coach was winding down. I think he might actually make a decent GM.

Having said that, the above article sums up exactly why Lowe's actions here were ridiculous. How on earth can any respectable hockey executive not interview a single other candidate for the most important position in the organization? It's utterly absurd. It would be one thing if there was an obvious hotshot candidate was waiting and ready to come in right away, but MacT? Really?

Today Lowe demonstrated that he is completely incapable of being the President of this hockey team.

Krut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Chooch

Quote:
Tencer and Stauffer aren't media. They are paid PR/shills.
Stauffer wasn't like that when he worked for the Team 1260. It's amazing how working for the Oilers Radio Network in 630 CHED can completely turn you into a shill. I used to like listening to Stauffer back at 1260 because he could speak his honest opinion over there, now i just can't stand him because he's bought.

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:33 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmn View Post
It has the stench of foul cronyism.

The press conference was not Lowe's finest moment. Stale jokes...he came off as defensive. They talked more about the past than the future.
Loved it when he felt he had to tell everyone "That's a joke" and laugh at his own joke for 10 seconds. They knew it was a joke, Kevin.

After watching the presser my thoughts and feelings on Lowe haven't changed. But I like what I heard from MacT. I like that he's impatient, I like that he wants to quickly turn things around. The off season will be very interesting.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
Stauffer wasn't like that when he worked for the Team 1260. It's amazing how working for the Oilers Radio Network in 630 CHED can completely turn you into a shill. I used to like listening to Stauffer back at 1260 because he could speak his honest opinion, now i just can't stand him.
I called Stauffer out when he was still on the team 1260

during the first collapse that lead to the Hall draft--when the oilers were in a free fall--Stauffer was the only media guy who got any of the management guys on his show and barely touched on what was going on and talked about charity and other things. Robin Brownlee had to come waddling to Stauffer defence

Old
04-15-2013, 10:38 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

The stunning part of all this is that the media is saying anything negative about this move, let alone asking a real question to Oiler brass like Mckinnen did today. They've been good little fanboys for so long, towing the line to keep the Oilers happy and never rocking the boat, that is really shocking when you see actual quotes from paid media guys that aren't congratulatory "plan the parade" fluff pieces mixed in with shots at the outgoing member(Tambo in this case).

Wonder how long it'll last, and if it'll have any effect.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote