HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-15-2013, 10:39 PM
oilers4cup
No More Koolade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeety mcjeet View Post
If it doesn't work they're all getting fired anyways, even the biggest cynic believes this is Lowe's last stand. I'm willing to give MacT a chance. If it works, if it's the right fit, is it still "arrogant and irresponsible"? Winning solves a lot of problems. Lowe's neck, Lowe's choice and I'm fine with it. Hopefully this works...
Agreed I actually don't mind Mact but the optics stink and Lowe sounds stupid every time he opens his mouth

oilers4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
Pablo Aimar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
The stunning part of all this is that the media is saying anything negative about this move, let alone asking a real question to Oiler brass like Mckinnen did today. They've been good little fanboys for so long, towing the line to keep the Oilers happy and never rocking the boat, that is really shocking when you see actual quotes from paid media guys that aren't congratulatory "plan the parade" fluff pieces mixed in with shots at the outgoing member(Tambo in this case).

Wonder how long it'll last, and if it'll have any effect.
Mckinnen especially. I couldn't BELIEVE he asked a tough question given the absolute pap he has constantly written.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Asher

I'm amazed Lowe is taking any media criticism at all. I think if not for his blunders at the press conference he would have gotten away with making Tambo the fall guy. Actually, he did get away with it, it's just surprising to see the media call him out on that.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:43 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
"Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

Seriously. That’s what you are being asked to swallow."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/1...the-team-needs

The media response today has been excellent, for once.
The media should have ALWAYS been asking these tough questions... I'd like to point out that simply replacing the old boys club guarantees nothing.

Do people not remember that we didn't even have the money to run a AHL team a few years ago? What do you think this did to the development of the drafted players?

jeety mcjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Out the old! In with the ne... Old?

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:48 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
The media should have ALWAYS been asking these tough questions... I'd like to point out that simply replacing the old boys club guarantees nothing.

Do people not remember that we didn't even have the money to run a AHL team a few years ago? What do you think this did to the development of the drafted players?
That was the EIG that scrapped the AHL team stuff, not management. For all EIG's help in saving the team, the was a real reluctance to invest back into the product after all those years of just surviving when the profits started coming in.

It's one of the areas you can say Katz has actually been a decent owner.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:50 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Mckinnen especially. I couldn't BELIEVE he asked a tough question given the absolute pap he has constantly written.
Yeah, that was a stunner.

He's probably going to have to pay his way into the Oiler games for the forseeable future as a result as well. Oilers brass can be a pretty thin-skinned bunch when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Agreed I actually don't mind Mact but the optics stink and Lowe sounds stupid every time he opens his mouth
I agree completely the optics are bad.

But the bottom line is, no one will care if we win next season. I'd have preferred fresh blood into the organization, but if MacT in the drivers seat works, then who cares in the end.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
"Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

Seriously. That’s what you are being asked to swallow."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/1...the-team-needs

The media response today has been excellent, for once.
The column is a classic. Just awesome/hilarious

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
oilers4life5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
Which reporter was it who was asking, 'how is this a change?' And who got Lowe hot under the collar?
It was Spector

oilers4life5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:59 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
That was the EIG that scrapped the AHL team stuff, not management. For all EIG's help in saving the team, the was a real reluctance to invest back into the product after all those years of just surviving when the profits started coming in.

It's one of the areas you can say Katz has actually been a decent owner.
I guess what I'm saying is Lowe and MacT are not solely to blame for the situation we found our self in. We had a ownership that was willing to sacrifice the future to stay afloat. Well, the future came and it wasn't pretty. I'd trust MacT and Lowe over someone like Burke in this situation, MacT more so.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
The column is a classic. Just awesome/hilarious
Why does KLOWE have to mention how many championship rings he has won? Like that has anything to do with how S***** a job he has been doing. I remember him mentioning that when he had that spat with Burke. What's up with that?

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Listening to sports talk callers on Edmonton radio today, I think it's evident that fans aren't mad at MacT... In fact, most want to give him a chance and want him to succeed.

They're mad at Lowe, and a lot of fans took offense to his remarks today. One caller to Strudwick hit the nail on the head... We've changed owners, GMs, the training staff, and coaches with the same result. The only constant has been Lowe.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:11 PM
notloilersfan
I'm here, I'm bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
Why does KLOWE have to mention how many championship rings he has won? Like that has anything to do with how S***** a job he has been doing. I remember him mentioning that when he had that spat with Burke. What's up with that?
Which I was embarrassed about. At the time I was all for Lowe and all against Burke. But even then, I thought that was an embarrassing thing to say. All that mattered in that argument is that Brian Burke had 1 cup ring as GM, Lowe had 0.

notloilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I guess what I'm saying is Lowe and MacT are not solely to blame for the situation we found our self in. We had a ownership that was willing to sacrifice the future to stay afloat. Well, the future came and it wasn't pretty. I'd trust MacT and Lowe over someone like Burke in this situation, MacT more so.
Meddling ownership was a problem throughout those years.

But Lowe/Mact were instrumental in all the terrible decisions that occurred during that time. Bad trades, poorly utilized assets both on and off the ice, gong-show UFA acquisitions/attempted acquisitions, utter failure in cap projections, universally terrible talent evaluations, etc etc. You don't get as bad as the Oilers became because an ownership group that hasn't been around since 2008, not to mention even if the EIG was willing to sacrifice the future to stay afloat, the decisions on what players to invest in to accomplish that goal were terrible.

Mact/Lowe deserve no trust, and burke was never the right guy for the situation either. This team needs Ray Shero, not the old boys club or another blustering egomaniac.

Last edited by Tarus: 04-15-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Nunymare
Rinse, repeat

vCash: 499
Lowe's little rant was just cringeworthy. Not sure how anyone can defend that. At least it shows that his time hopefully may be ticking away here.

....oh wait, who am I kidding here?

Nunymare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:19 PM
cpnfantstk

Quote:
Originally Posted by notloilersfan View Post
Which I was embarrassed about. At the time I was all for Lowe and all against Burke. But even then, I thought that was an embarrassing thing to say. All that mattered in that argument is that Brian Burke had 1 cup ring as GM, Lowe had 0.
I felt the same way. What a childish remark. Arrogance.

cpnfantstk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:26 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:
Meddling ownership was a problem throughout those years.

But Lowe/Mact were instrumental in all the terrible decisions that occurred during that time. Bad trades, poorly utilized assets both on and off the ice, gong-show UFA acquisitions/attempted acquisitions, utter failure in cap projections, universally terrible talent evaluations, etc etc. You don't get as bad as the Oilers became because an ownership group that hasn't been around since 2008, not to mention even if the EIG was willing to sacrifice the future to stay afloat, the decisions on what players to invest in to accomplish that were terrible.

Mact/Lowe deserve no trust, and burke was never the right guy for the situation either. This team needs Ray Shero, not the old boys club or another blustering egomaniac.
Can Shero bring Crosby and Malkin with him? Shero's nice, and not available, but you can't disregard the environment he is operating in and how it has benefited him. Kunitz isn't half the player he is in Pitt playing here. Neal no question was a fantastic move but he robbed Dallas you could say 28 other GM's missed on that one.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:30 PM
Up the Irons

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
pretty much this. given that they need someone to step in immediately and hit the ground running in time for the draft, summer, etc. it is quite plausible that MacT is best suited to just take over, rather than scowering the industry for an outsider. That due diligence should have been done last year, but, then that would have been too obvious they were looking for Tambo's replacement.

when you think about it, bringing on an old buddy that you trust can do the job, as another voice for the management (but, covertly, he is there as a backup plan for a late firing if exactly what happened happens) isn't such a bad idea. and clever chess.

but, yeah, it does smack of ol' boys nepitism. oh well. this time, i'm not so upset with it. Tambo had to go and Lowe was ready for it. not so bad, really.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:35 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Can Shero bring Crosby and Malkin with him? Shero's nice, and not available, but you can't disregard the environment he is operating in and how's it benefited him. Kunitz isn't half the player he is in Pitt playing here. Neal no question was a fantastic move but he robbed Dallas you could say 28 other GM's missed on that one.
I'm talking about the GM type.

He was a guy who spent many years in successful organizations, and won a job in an interview process. Shero was a guy that took over another team that finished 2nd last with a 100 point Crosby on the team, and proceeded to build the team into a contender within 2 years.

Mact has zero GM experience, zero track record, and was hired by his unsuccessful boss with no interview process because they are friends.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:40 PM
jeety mcjeet

Delete, crap iPhone half post

Last edited by jeety mcjeet: 04-15-2013 at 11:47 PM.
Old
04-15-2013, 11:41 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 50
Worst PC ever.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:45 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

He was a guy who spent many years in successful organizations, and won a job in an interview process. Shero was a guy that took over another team that finished 2nd last with a 100 point Crosby on the team, and proceeded to build the team into a contender within 2 years.

Mact has zero GM experience, zero track record, and was hired by his unsuccessful boss with no interview process because they are friends.
Would have been nice to see them at least interview a few guys, mainly jim nill out of detroit.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:46 PM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:

Fair enough, i'd agree with what you're saying. You could say Pitt had the pieces from all that losing before Shero got there but he did put it together so he does deserve credit for it. MacT has zero GM'ing experience and other than one season Lowe hasn't really done the best job. Crap, maybe I need to adjust my opinion on this.

Old
04-15-2013, 11:47 PM
New dawn

So if the Oilers were a restaurant and the chef (Lowe) created the menu/recipes which the customers were not happy with then the answer to solve the problem is to fire the short order cook (Tambellini).Makes sense.

New dawn is offline   Reply With Quote