HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Phoenix LXXIV: Be Seeing You

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildGopher View Post
Norm Green announced the North Stars move to Dallas on March 8th or 10th, but that crazed dude had an ulterior motive. He actually ran it up the flagpole to the league the idea that the Stars play their playoff games that spring in their new city, to build his fan base when the games were most exciting. The league said no way...
Mind. Blowing. Id not heard that before. What a complete turd. I mean... its almost hysterical its so low class no class. What a dirtbag.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:10 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

About a week left to go in the season... if the NHL is going to relocate this team, they'll want it done before the playoff games get too intense.

I'd feel bad that the Coyote fans aren't going to get to say goodbye to their team if they go, because that seems to be the way the NHL ducks out of un-ideal situations.

Odd that they were so gung-ho getting teams out of Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hartford and Atlanta but they gave Phoenix so long. Though I'd imagine if the NHL had put all its eggs in the Thrashers' basket, the Coyotes would've flown back to Winnipeg instead.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
Odd that they were so gung-ho getting teams out of Winnipeg, Quebec City, Hartford and Atlanta but they gave Phoenix so long. Though I'd imagine if the NHL had put all its eggs in the Thrashers' basket, the Coyotes would've flown back to Winnipeg instead.
Ya, according to Chipman of TNSE in interviews he gave after acquiring the Thrashers, he said he was literally "15 minutes away from buying the Coyotes" in 2010, Champagne on Ice & the media circus all set to go when at the last minute the City of Glendale voted to pay the NHL $25M for a season of "Arena Management", buying themselves another year to try & sort out the deal that was then in flux with Hulsizer. In 2011 TNSE was re-directed from Phoenix to Atlanta when ASG issued its ultimatum to the NHL, unbeknownst to Glendale, who again approved a $25M expenditure for 2011/12 believing the threat of Relocation was as real as ever. The NHL certainly has a charming way of doing business no?

Old
04-15-2013, 08:52 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
He actually ran it up the flagpole to the league the idea that the Stars play their playoff games that spring in their new city, to build his fan base when the games were most exciting.
Wow. That is so impressively evil I'm almost respectful of the scheme.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:00 PM
WildGopher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Mind. Blowing. Id not heard that before. What a complete turd. I mean... its almost hysterical its so low class no class. What a dirtbag.
That's just the start of it. [MOD] Anyway, any of us from Minn. could go on and on about that piece of work, but this thread's about another team. Point is, if any of you are a fan of a team with a reasonably ethical and competent owner, count your lucky stars you're neither ownerless and likely to lose your team like the poor Coyotes fans, nor run by a slimy carpetbagger who has no interest in your town whatsoever. Natural tendency is to gripe about owners, wishing they'd spend their last dollar to get the free agents we want, keep ticket prices down, etc., but take a look at situations like the ones above and maybe it doesn't look so bad.

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 04-16-2013 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Let's keep this remotely on topic please.
Old
04-15-2013, 09:02 PM
Llama19

vCash: 647
Craig Morgan ‏@cmorgancbsfoxaz

Darin Pastor's prospectve #Coyotes ownership group will meet w/Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers on Friday morning. No further details available.

Source: https://twitter.com/cmorgancbsfoxaz

STOP! JUST STOP!

Why are you, Mr. Pastor, not announcing that you have submitted your paperwork to the NHL, and submitted your RFP to Beacon Sports (who is handling the arena management contract submissions, starting today), and then say, "I have filed all of the necessary paperwork, I have the money deposited with the NHL, and now look forward to the final ownership of this franchise and working with the fine City of Glendale in keeping the Coyotes in Arizona for the length of the lease."

Otherwise, why bother meeting with Mayor Weiers? You're just wasting everyone's time!

Be seeing you!

Old
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llama19 View Post
STOP! JUST STOP!
... better buckle up Llama, Bettmans taxiing around on the tarmac & I honestly, genuinely dont think he has the
slightest clue whether he's taking off or landing, parking it in the hangar for another year or what. Gonna get bumpy.

Be seeing you...

Oh, and watch your head, rotor wash.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:22 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I think Pastor is the last ditch effort. Much like Glavine and Anson Carter were in ATL.

If this falls through, Bettman pulls the plug.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:33 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post

I don't disagree with your conclusion regarding GWI but I don't understand the first sentence at all. Can you explain it?
Hopefully I can explain it right.... someone else might remember it better than I do. But it was discussed in an (much) older thread.

IIRC.... Glendale pulled the first $25 million out of a fund that was obtained via user fees. Because the funds were not originally brought in from taxation it did not make it subject to the gift clause standards.

Old
04-15-2013, 09:45 PM
TheLegend
Megathread Refugee

Quote:

Darin Pastor's prospectve #Coyotes ownership group will meet w/Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers on Friday morning. No further details available.

STOP! JUST STOP!

Why are you, Mr. Pastor, not announcing that you have submitted your paperwork to the NHL, and submitted your RFP to Beacon Sports (who is handling the arena management contract submissions, starting today), and then say, "I have filed all of the necessary paperwork, I have the money deposited with the NHL, and now look forward to the final ownership of this franchise and working with the fine City of Glendale in keeping the Coyotes in Arizona for the length of the lease."

Otherwise, why bother meeting with Mayor Weiers? You're just wasting everyone's time!

Be seeing you!
Wasting who's time??????

You honestly believe a bunch of people on a message board are going to influence what Pastor does and how he does it??? Or that he really cares what they think??

Old
04-15-2013, 09:46 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegend View Post
.... someone else might remember it better than I do....
Thats correct TL. Enterprise Fund. Check #Ncc 1701
To Boldly Go Where No Municipality Has Gone Before...

Engage....

*still trying to catch up huh?

Old
04-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:

STOP! JUST STOP!

I'm speculating... perhaps to introduce the CoG to his "talented municipal financing veterans". Perhaps Beacon will participate as well.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:26 PM
mesamonster

To those of you who believe hockey can work in the outpost known as Glendale, I ask each of you to look at the attendance tonight! The Coyotes are playing perhaps the most pivotal game of the season against a division rival, a win gives them all kinds of hope, a loss almost eliminates them from contention. Yet despite the gravity of the situation the building is 2/3 full if that! This folks is the exact reason why this team cannot continue to operate in an environment that does not support the home team! Enjoy the game, those of you who are the true fans! To those who somehow believe this is good market, look around tonight, this is the best proof yet that the team needs to find a new home!

Old
04-15-2013, 10:32 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
To those of you who believe hockey can work in the outpost known as Glendale, I ask each of you to look at the attendance tonight! The Coyotes are playing perhaps the most pivotal game of the season against a division rival, a win gives them all kinds of hope, a loss almost eliminates them from contention. Yet despite the gravity of the situation the building is 2/3 full if that! This folks is the exact reason why this team cannot continue to operate in an environment that does not support the home team! Enjoy the game, those of you who are the true fans! To those who somehow believe this is good market, look around tonight, this is the best proof yet that the team needs to find a new home!
I'll say this... If they had built an arena in Phoenix or Scottsdale, this club would've never had ownership issues. They would've been on more solid ground than they are right now. I know that they're only about a half hour apart (traffic not withstanding), but when you have a sport like hockey in an unconventional market like Phoenix, moving the club away from the fan base it had established will hurt it a lot.

But they moved out to Glendale. And they've had nothing but problems since.

Old
04-15-2013, 10:34 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
I think Pastor is the last ditch effort. Much like Glavine and Anson Carter were in ATL.

If this falls through, Bettman pulls the plug.
LOL, pastor is no different than all of the phonies that have preceded him! he is attempting to buy low, and that aint going to happen here. He will be history within a fortnight!

Old
04-15-2013, 10:36 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
I'll say this... If they had built an arena in Phoenix or Scottsdale, this club would've never had ownership issues. They would've been on more solid ground than they are right now. I know that they're only about a half hour apart (traffic not withstanding), but when you have a sport like hockey in an unconventional market like Phoenix, moving the club away from the fan base it had established will hurt it a lot.

But they moved out to Glendale. And they've had nothing but problems since.
Now you are speaking the truth, Amen brother!!!

Old
04-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
The real story is...
Ya I knew about all that bit, but I sure as shootin never heard about Green wanting to move the team just before the Playoffs'...
I mean, thats just so beyond anything mesa... like, at a loss for words. Just unbelievable!

Old
04-15-2013, 11:01 PM
mesamonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killion View Post
Ya I knew about all that bit, but I sure as shootin never heard about Green wanting to move the team just before the Playoffs'...
I mean, thats just so beyond anything mesa... like, at a loss for words. Just unbelievable!
Stormin was a beaut! he loved the adoration of the fans at met center! He would advise the camera folks and any other PR employees to spotlight him and then he would rise from his seat as though he was king Tut and wave to the fans! The SCF vs, Lemeiux and the Pens he was serenaded each night, the fans thought he could do no wrong! then he started in on the office help and the gig was up! What a complete egomaniac cocksman!

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 04-16-2013 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Subject is dropped.
Old
04-15-2013, 11:08 PM
Llama19

vCash: 647
Quote:
Stormin was a beaut! he loved the adoration of the fans at met center! He would advise the camera folks and any other PR employees to spotlight him and then he would rise from his seat as though he was king Tut and wave to the fans! The SCF vs, Lemeiux and the Pens he was serenaded each night, the fans thought he could do no wrong! then he started in on the office help and the gig was up! What a complete egomaniac cocksman!

Be seeing you!

Last edited by tarheelhockey: 04-16-2013 at 12:43 AM. Reason: QDP
Old
04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

^^^ yepp. That post mesa, definitely "out there". As in perhaps Queen wave "Buh Bye".

Btw... I have a Bobblehead of Lizabeth just like that.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:01 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Norm Green announced the North Stars move to Dallas on March 8th or 10th, but that crazed dude had an ulterior motive. He actually ran it up the flagpole to the league the idea that the Stars play their playoff games that spring in their new city, to build his fan base when the games were most exciting. The league said no way, and they didn't make the playoffs in the end, anyway.

But your general point is correct, announcements of team moves come after a season, unless you go back in time (Giants to San Fran., for example).
Holy cow.... that's the first I've ever heard that. Just mind-numbingly awful to even consider.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:15 AM
mesamonster

Say speaking of the business of hockey, and for that matter the inflationary aspect of the dollar, would anyone venture a guess what it cost the Northstars original owners to build the Metropolitan sports center in 1966? Currently the home of an Ikea store after its subsequent demolition.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
EmersonBeatemEtem
Watcha gonna do!!!!

I think one of the problems with Phoenix (aside from the fact they play in Glendale instead of Phoenix) was that they just didn't have the infrastructure in place to really support a team from day 1. When the Winnipeg Jets announced they were moving, they really didn't look into the markets to see which was the best and most sustainable. They just knew they had to get the hell out of Winnipeg after that season. Where they landed wasn't really so much of a priority.

I think Phoenix would have been successful had they been granted an expansion team rather than a team that had to relocate on the fly. They would have been able to put in the proper planning on what it would take to be successful in that market. Of course, not all expansion teams were successful (ie Atlanta but thats a whole 'nother story) but they would have had a better chance.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
WildGopher

Quote:
Say speaking of the business of hockey, and for that matter the inflationary aspect of the dollar, would anyone venture a guess what it cost the Northstars original owners to build the Metropolitan sports center in 1966? Currently the home of an Ikea store after its subsequent demolition.
I believe it was $6 million. Privately paid for, later given to the Metropolitan Sports Commission. Quite a good rink for that price, too. Great sight lines, good, hard ice. Elements of it were copied in the Detroit, NY Islanders and SJ Sharks arenas built later. For anyone feeling nostalgic about the old Met, you need to get yourself down to a minor league game at Cincinatti's US Bank Arena, if it's still called that. Built 9 years later, so it has luxury boxes built along the top, but otherwise built on virtually the identical blueprints, and by the same construction company as the old Met in Minnesota. I've been there, and sat in the parallel sections to where I sat at the Met and the feeling is amazing. And when the Cyclones (ECHL team, I believe) would score a goal, the accoustics of the crowd noise would replicate what you'd hear and remember at the Met. That rink even started out with the same patterned white and colored seats the old Met had - you can find pictures on-line, but most recently had the red seats of the later Met. For those who have similar memories of Maple Leaf Gardens, head to the north side of Cincinnati to take in an event at Cincinnati Gardens, similarly patterned after the original in Toronto. Wander around and you'll feel like you're in MLG before the upper end decks were added. Great memories in both rinks. Worth a trip if you miss those old barns.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:49 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Say speaking of the business of hockey, and for that matter the inflationary aspect of the dollar, would anyone venture a guess what it cost the Northstars original owners to build the Metropolitan sports center in 1966?
Quote:
I believe it was $6 million.
Thats right. $6M. Privately financed. Typically Minnesotan. Very utilitarian without anything in the way of luxury suites, but the sightlines, lighting, excellent dressing rooms & best ice in the league more than made up for whatever it mightve lacked in that regard. Excellent concessions as well; Taco's, KFC, Greek, you name it, they had it. Massive sidewalk surrounding the place. Apparently built to withstand a Nuclear Attack by the Commies, they tried 3X's to crater the joint with controlled demolitions & failed each time, having to eventually call in the Wrecking Ball. For years it was one of the players favourite places to play.

Closed Thread