HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-15-2013, 11:55 PM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Thank you, sir.

Could we get a Krueger one too?

Katz: http://i.imgur.com/JXFnOYU.gif
Lowe: http://i.imgur.com/D68DNxP.gif
MacTavish: http://i.imgur.com/xMh5xzl.gif

Del Preston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:56 PM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
"Steve Tambellini has been fired for his inability to clean up the mess left behind by Lowe, Craig MacTavish and Scott Howson, a task so daunting that owner Daryl Katz decided it can only be tackled by Lowe, MacTavish and Howson.

Seriously. That’s what you are being asked to swallow."

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/1...the-team-needs

The media response today has been excellent, for once.
Can someone screengrab the frozen video frame in the article. The posture of Mac T and Howson looks hilarious.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:56 PM
dookers9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I agree completely the optics are bad.

But the bottom line is, no one will care if we win next season. I'd have preferred fresh blood into the organization, but if MacT in the drivers seat works, then who cares in the end.
Pretty much true.

An earlier response to that question was essentially: Everyone. Because it's the principle.

And fair enough. But I agree that no one will be complaining if, after a productive off-season, the Oilers are legitimately competitive next season. Fans will forever regard Lowe with disdain, but assuming the wins are there, MacT will be cut some slack and be given a shot.

Really, if the alternative is to boo the team off the ice for the foreseeable future in order to communicate displeasure, I'm not sure that's the way to go.

Was MacT my (or anybody's) first choice? No. The optics aren't good. But let's see what comes of it. Railing against him as GM on the basis of having failed to do much with a poor squad isn't fair.

dookers9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Lay Z Boy GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnfantstk View Post
Why does KLOWE have to mention how many championship rings he has won? Like that has anything to do with how S***** a job he has been doing. I remember him mentioning that when he had that spat with Burke. What's up with that?
It shows he has an enormous ego, which isn't a good trait for someone to have. How are you going to make good decisions when you have an ego like that? Lowe can't do wrong, he's won what? 5, 6 Cups? He's the champ. I mean jeez, if the fans thought he was so bad why wouldn't they tell him? He only talks to the loyal, long-time season ticket holders, not the other peasant fans though.

I had it with Lowe before we even had that Cup run that he STILL clings to. I appreciate his loyalty, but at this point he'd benefit the club way more if he just resigned. But no, that won't happen. Kevin Lowe wants to relive his glory days and he wants to do it with his old pals. He'll hang in there, and if we ever do win a Cup again Kevin Lowe will be hoisting it above his head as if it was all his doing.

This whole charade is just embarrassing. I'm stuck between loving and hating the Oilers right now. I'll support MacT for now, but I almost hate Lowe at this point, he needs to go.

Lay Z Boy GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:02 AM
misfit

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
That quote is exactly why it's very hard to be excited about Tambo getting fired.
Tambellini getting fired is the reason to be excited about Tambo getting fired. He's been terrible from day one, and I'm glad to see him go. I don't know him from Adam as a person, but as an NHL GM he was awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
- I can't help but wonder if MacT brings his own coach in next season if we don't start off well. Maybe Krueger doesn't even make it to training camp next year? I think he does though.
I actually think MacT played a big part in the decision to hire Kreuger. I remember him talking a lot about what this team needed in a coach when he was first hired and a lot of those qualities are the things that anbody, fan or not, would use to describe Kreuger.

Not only that, but it seemed pretty clear during the press conference that MacT doesn't think coaching was a factor in this team's misfortunes. Not only in his endorsement when asked about him, but when he talked about having gone through 4 coaches in a short time without any change in result.

As for the Lowe puppet thing, regardless of how much truth is in the theory that Lowe was pulling Tambellini's strings the past few years, I have a hard time believing that would ever be the case with MacTavish.

04-16-2013, 12:09 AM
aqib

i am jumping in late, because I live in the states, and its been a stressful day down here including trying to track down friends in Boston.

We all agree Tambo needed to go, because lets face it his best move was the first overall picks which any of us could have made. Only Hall had a credible alternative (Seguin). While none of them had "the next one" tag like Crosby, Lindros, or even Tavares they were pretty much no-brainers.

I don't doubt McT knows hockey,we all appreciate what he did as a player, and I always appreciate what he did in 2006. However, he only has 1 year in a front office, which was last year. Why not at least talk to Jim Nill?

aqib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Can someone screengrab the frozen video frame in the article. The posture of Mac T and Howson looks hilarious.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:16 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

http://www.downgoesbrown.com/2013/04...nterviews.html

Maybe there was an interview process

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Bergeron47

I can't find a podcast to Lowe talking to the media. I checked on both Tencer and Stauffer's podcasts.

Anyone know?

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:23 AM
zeus3007*

I'm just listening to the presser now, and I'll just say one thing. If Lowe wasn't feeding us lines, and Tambellini actually could do what he wanted and Lowe wasn't pulling the strings, then I'm a bit more confident going forward. Obviously we don't know for sure, but I think MacT is very smart in hockey and hopefully that will translate into bringing in players that we need, which coincidentally, are the type of player MacT has traditionally liked. I'm going to be skeptical here, but I'm hoping MacT can turn things around for us.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:24 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post
I can't find a podcast to Lowe talking to the media. I checked on both Tencer and Stauffer's podcasts.

Anyone know?
Not sure about a podcast, but there is a link I'm listening to here.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ds-his-record/

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
The column is a classic. Just awesome/hilarious
Quote:
(Lowe) has been apparently granted lifetime immunity by an owner who’s running this organization like a tree fort instead of a professional hockey team.
Classic!

Old
04-16-2013, 12:27 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergeron47 View Post

Anyone know?
the entire PC is on the Oilers website.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Bergeron47

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Not sure about a podcast, but there is a link I'm listening to here.

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/201...ds-his-record/
Thanks

Bergeron47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:28 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
"it's Kevin's water...we can't have any..."

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:30 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Mac T looks like there's a gun to his back. I think it'd be funnier if you included Lowe in the pic too.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:34 AM
Sheikyerbouti

After letting this debacle of monumental proportions sink in, I think today is the day that hubris finally caught up with the old boys.

Some of the quotes in those article are gold. People are rightly choked and Lowe has set them all up so that anything other than huge success is going to be seen as abject failure. Their hubris has put themselves under a microscope that has, this far, not really existed in the media and outside Edmonton.

Even ESPN had a scathing article.

There is no logical argument that MacT was the most qualified candidate for this position. There will be no middle ground in terms of success and failure. Lowe has backed himself into a corner where any success will be despite him and failure will be attributed to him. MacT might succeed, but if he fails you can't really blame him because he's entirely unqualified.

There was talk at the presser of the "past" where Edmonton had difficulty attracting UFA's, but if the media and the fans can see the folly of this managerial shuffling then it's attracting attention from the players as well. The whole situation outwardly reeks. The shot themselves in the foot thinking they could operate this way and unintentionally shone a spotlight on the ineptitude of our management to the outside world.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:39 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Whoever made that tree fort comment about Katz, major props. Post of the day.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Mac T looks like there's a gun to his back. I think it'd be funnier if you included Lowe in the pic too.
There was a point when the press conference first started that all 3 of them were in the frame. When I seen the frame all that went through my mind is these guys look like the 3 stooges.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chooch

I still can't believe the day has come in which we are now addressing MacTavish as our GM. Is this a nightmare?

Chooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:44 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Now guys, you're not giving Lowe his due.

His managerial decisions were HUGE in leading to those six cups.

What a self-righteous putz...

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Soundwave

3 years from now ...

I'm here to introduce our new GM ...

Hi guyz ...

Old
04-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Sheikyerbouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Whoever made that tree fort comment about Katz, major props. Post of the day.
lol it was the Sun, not the message board.

Edmonton media grew balls today

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:48 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
lol it was the Sun, not the message board.

Edmonton media grew balls today
It was awesome

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:51 AM
iCanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
After letting this debacle of monumental proportions sink in, I think today is the day that hubris finally caught up with the old boys.

Some of the quotes in those article are gold. People are rightly choked and Lowe has set them all up so that anything other than huge success is going to be seen as abject failure. Their hubris has put themselves under a microscope that has, this far, not really existed in the media and outside Edmonton.

Even ESPN had a scathing article.

There is no logical argument that MacT was the most qualified candidate for this position. There will be no middle ground in terms of success and failure. Lowe has backed himself into a corner where any success will be despite him and failure will be attributed to him. MacT might succeed, but if he fails you can't really blame him because he's entirely unqualified.

There was talk at the presser of the "past" where Edmonton had difficulty attracting UFA's, but if the media and the fans can see the folly of this managerial shuffling then it's attracting attention from the players as well. The whole situation outwardly reeks. The shot themselves in the foot thinking they could operate this way and unintentionally shone a spotlight on the ineptitude of our management to the outside world.
I actually think MacT has the skills to be a good general manager.

He was a great coach, means he has good people skills/communication skills, means he good at planning. He has a masters degree in business, which means he can easily manage the salary and trading part of the job. Not only that, but he has a ton of experience with both non-skilled plug filled teams as well as overly-skilled pip-squeak teams; by virtue of having seen and interacted with both extremes he ought to be pretty understanding of what makes a good hockey club.

To top it off, MacT's biggest skill in my mind was always his ability to create a 7 game plan and adjust it on the fly in the playoffs. That 2006 run was a lot of him just out-coaching other clubs, especially the Wings and the Sharks. If he can make a team plan, and adjust it like he did with his playoff series I have no doubt he can be a damn good general manager.

I dunno, I think the optics of the move are ****ing awful, and I think Lowe is a blowhard that garners little respect from me any longer, but I think MacT is a savvy hockey mind attached to a passionate Oiler, and rather intelligent Business mind.

iCanada is online now   Reply With Quote