HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Felix the cat or cujo?

Old
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM
timlap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al14 View Post
I would put Joseph, and possibly Potvin, ahead of Palmateer. JMHO.
That's definitely a valid opinion. It's a subjective argument, and none of these goalies were good for very long (for us). We just haven't had a Brodeur type long-term goalie in this city since expansion.

timlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:50 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
While it would not surpirse me to see Reimer top this list one day, at the moment he has a bit of work to do before he should be mentioned in the same discussion as these other goaltenders.
....he did a bit more work tonight, I think.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:03 PM
OntheBackcheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by agropop View Post
Potvin was great, Cujo was better.
I agree and you can't go wrong with either.

OntheBackcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkiller View Post
leafs fan growing up and i remember a goalie by the name of Felix potvin came out of no where and took the league storm, had 2 great years when he helped take the leafs to 2 conference finals, he was very exciting to watch, unorthodox style, but dude put on a show, i remember as kids we would imulate his hotdog splits glove saves haha.

And then after we got another darn good goalie, Curtis Joseph. Went from cat to dog. Cujo was beastin too, helping us to 2 conference finals as well. Had a lot of big games as well.

Leaf nation, who do you like as leafs goalie more, potvin or Joseph ?
Like both, but Potvin played for Burns, Joseph was the better goalie, no doubt in my mind.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:13 PM
leburn98

Got to go with the Cat.

I remember this beauty of a save:

leburn98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
AverageCanadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Mackinaw View Post
Potvin gets the nod alone for kicking the crap out of Ron Hextall.
this.

AverageCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:15 AM
Hockey Talker29

Definitely The Cat for me, although my bias is quite significant.

The 92 and 93 Leaf teams were my first real experiences as a Leaf fan. I was six during the first run, so I immediately fell in love with the team, while Felix became my favourite player of all time.

I actually own a signed jersey of all five NHL teams he played on.

I despised Cujo for replacing my favourite player, but I have to admit that he put on some great performances here as well. I just always felt that Cujo could only succeed as an underdog, when little was expected of him. Once he was expected to succeed, his game would usually falter. His playoff stats usually back that up, since he typically dominated the first round, before having his play tail-off.

For my money, Potvin was the better pressure goalie. But the margin between the two is thin, no matter what side you're on.

Hockey Talker29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:24 AM
Westlander
the olden time

I saw both and for me there's no question Joseph was the better career goalie. He had a good 10-12 years among the elite at his position, while for Potvin this would apply to only 3-4 of his years in the league.

Potvin was a really important element in the Leaf teams that caught lightning in a bottle from '92-'94, but he was quite average after that time. If it is based on great moments for the Leafs and sentimentality I can see why people would choose Felix though.

Westlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:31 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash35 View Post
Wow ignorance is bliss. Pat Quinn admitted the Leafs choose not to sign Cujo. It had nothing to do with him not wanting to stay.

As for Potvin VS Cujo. It's Cujo easy Potvin had a great defence in front of him during his good years. Cuju was the only reason they made the playoffs the first couple of years he was here. Cujo wins against Belfour as well. Cujo took them to the semi finals twice. Eddie won one series while he was here.
Ignorance is bliss? Sure, the cat had defense in front of him. During the highest scoring years the NHL has ever known. I will admit, Cujo did not have the greatest defense but Potvin was often left out to dry as well. Cujo was a great goalie, but Cujo did not dominate in net during the playoffs on the same level Potvin did.

P.S: Cujo stated he left the team because he wanted to win the cup. He left our organization kicking and screaming.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:33 AM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrolemur View Post
This is what drives me nuts about some Leaf fans. Fraser, if anything, blew game 6 for us (up to debate, considering the Leafs played for another minute or three, and replaced the injured player on the ice). They played game 7 and lost. That loss was on the Leafs, not Fraser. Get your head out of your Blue-painted a**.

The fact of the matter was the Leafs couldn't beat Gretzky, who's one player on a team of players. If you can't beat a player, then you can't beat him plus his entire team and thus the better team won.

On topic, I started watching the Leafs in the Cujo era, so I never really got a chance to watch Potvin. That being said, even though I never watched him, I think I'd choose Potvin from what I hear about him. I consider a couple things from what I remember about Cujo:

The way he ditched the Leafs, he showed a lack of class, especially with him saying something along the lines of "wanting to win a Cup..." as he walked out the door. Poetic justice that his career went nowhere afterwards.

Not to mention my heart would skip a beat every time Cujo either left the net or puck-handled. The first Leaf game I ever went to, Cujo went behind the net and passed directly to a St. Louis player, who scored a goal on Cujo's empty net. What NHL goalie puts the net into his own crease without looking first? I never got anxious watching Belfour go get a puck, which sealed the deal on my opinion of Cujo.
You feel like disagreeing with me, fine. Next time, show a tad bit more respect. There is nothing wrong WHATSOEVER with believing that had Gretzky gotten the call that he should have got, the Leafs could have ended that series and went straight to the finals. We had one of the best powerplays in the league.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:27 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
A team doesn't go to the final 4 in back to back playoff years without outstanding goaltending, as Potvin did backstopping that effort in Toronto.

In fact Cujo was in the St. Louis net & losing end of a playoff serious when going heads up against Potvin during those playoff years in the 1990's. Eddie Belfour and his Hawks didn't fair any better stepping aside to Potvin and the Leafs also. So I agree the later two were not in the same league as the winning goalie of record Potvin when they went against each other. Curtis and Eddie could only shake Felix's hand to end their playoff series and wish him well before they turned to golfing season for themselves.

When Felix was in net it was never a worry that he would let the team down, whereas Cujo flipping and flopping around like a fish out of water made every save appear a challenge and you just never knew what was going to happen.

Belfour played a far more structured game which gave the team (and everyone) confidence he was going to stop the puck when called upon.
put Cujo on that Leaf team and Potvin on the Blues and it's over in 4. maybe your memory is going in your advanced age; Cujo is the ONLY reason the Blues were in that series.

do you find it funny how Potvin's numbers started slipping when Rouse and Lefebvre left and Macoun got a little older?

Potvin was a fine goalie, but he's lucky he got to shake the hands of two better goalies in Eddie and Cujo

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:38 AM
korndog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealisticLeaf55 View Post
Potvin. Would have won the cup if not for Fraser. Cujo ditched a decent team to try and win a cup with the Wings. Only to come back to the Leafs with his head in shame.
This... I'll never forgive Cujo for leaving the way he did.

korndog81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:20 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by korndog81 View Post
This... I'll never forgive Cujo for leaving the way he did.
leaving doesn't take away from his abilities to stop pucks.

guess you don't like Sundin or Gilmour either?

Old
04-16-2013, 10:31 AM
korndog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
leaving doesn't take away from his abilities to stop pucks.

guess you don't like Sundin or Gilmour either?
I love them, they both wanted to be here. Both were great captains and leaders.

Cujo was great, but left as soon as he could to take the easy way out... How that turn out for him

Old
04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
I love them, they both wanted to be here. Both were great captains and leaders.

Cujo was great, but left as soon as he could to take the easy way out... How that turn out for him
didn't turn out like he thought it would but I still don't see what that has to do with his ability

or maybe you think the question is who is the nicer guy?

Old
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
korndog81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Around in 67 View Post
didn't turn out like he thought it would but I still don't see what that has to do with his ability

or maybe you think the question is who is the nicer guy?
Yes, I must have read the title wrong
But I must admit Cujo is a very nice guy, nothing against him there.
But my "opinion" still stands, i'd rather take the cat over the dog. Not only for Cujo bailing on us when we needed him most, but because Potvin was the **** when I was a young lad

Old
04-16-2013, 11:33 AM
zeke
#freewilly

Cujo was the most overated goalie in the league, and he went on to prove that in detroit and with tem canada. and we didn't miss a beat when he left.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:42 AM
ACC1224
Steelers 9-5

Quote:
Yes, I must have read the title wrong
But I must admit Cujo is a very nice guy, nothing against him there.
But my "opinion" still stands, i'd rather take the cat over the dog. Not only for Cujo bailing on us when we needed him most, but because Potvin was the **** when I was a young lad
People I know who ran across him in the GTHL would say different.

ACC1224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Cujo was the most overated goalie in the league, and he went on to prove that in detroit and with tem canada. and we didn't miss a beat when he left.
so all his previous gems are all forgotten because of his last year?

you're smarter than that zeke

Old
04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
zeke
#freewilly

Last year? He wasn't at the end of his career when he left toronto.

cujo was a highlight reel goalie, not a fundamentally sound goalie. he was a good goalie, usually top 10, but probably never top 5. He was credited with the leafs turnaround, but that was due much more to nesw coach quinn and a revamped mobile defense that turned us into one of fhe best offensive teams in hockey.

The leafs didn't skip a beat when cujo was injured, nor after he left. and he nt on to prive he wasn't elite when he went to detroit.

the fact that his toronto hype actually led to cujo starting for team canada over brodeur was just silly, and unsurprisingly lasted only one ugly game.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Starkiller

Quote:

cujo was a highlight reel goalie, not a fundamentally sound goalie. he was a good goalie, usually top 10, but probably never top 5. He was credited with the leafs turnaround, but that was due much more to nesw coach quinn and a revamped mobile defense that turned us into one of fhe best offensive teams in hockey.

The leafs didn't skip a beat when cujo was injured, nor after he left. and he nt on to prive he wasn't elite when he went to detroit.

the fact that his toronto hype actually led to cujo starting for team canada over brodeur was just silly, and unsurprisingly lasted only one ugly game.
That is a good point. Cujo had a very decent Maple Leaf Team in front of him, he did steal some games, but so did potvin. its a good debate.

Starkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Didn't really get to see Potvin play much. So I have to go with Cujo from my memory. He was just so much fun to watch. The guy played well, was exciting, and just gave the team chances to win.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:

I will never disagree that he wasn't a fundamentally sound goalie. but he got the job done. the fact the Quinn ran an offense first D just means he was hung out to dry more often.

shocked that you don't think he contributed to the Leafs "success" when he was here.

guess we'll disagree on this one

Old
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
zeke
#freewilly

He ws a contributor, but when everyone was saying the leafs only won because of cujo, they never seemed to notice that most o the teams around them in the standings had better goalies like brodeur, belfour, hasek, roy.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
The Kessel Run

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth Rocker View Post
I loved those 93/94 Leaf teams, we were a starved fan base at the time and that team made life as a leaf fan great again.....plus I was a goalie then and had the "Potvin" Koho's from the 94 run...Think he had Heaton pads in 93.

so for me, it's Potvin.
Yup, he rocked the Heaton Pro90z before he switched to Koho. Remember when the St. John's Leafs had Potvin and Rhodes as their tenders. And a few years later Fredericton had Vokoun and Theo. Good memories

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote