HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Where is S.Weber traded?

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 01:09 AM
MikeK

vCash: 145
Where is S.Weber traded?

He can be moved this July and I have a feeling he will be. Just for giggles lets all guess where he ends up. I think Edmonton takes a serious run at him.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:10 AM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Agreed, as long as that other team passes about 30m back to the Preds under the table.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:11 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
Agreed, as long as that team passes about 30m back to the Preds under the table.
Yeah the Preds just paid Weber boat loads of money in a matter of a year, why would they trade him now?

I could see Nashville trying to Trade Weber if the league allowed them to trade him before his 2nd contract bonus kicks in but I don't see the League creating a special rule just for them

It still annoys me to this day what Philly did, it just seemed like outright bullying.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Dark Knight
We The North !!

Loved what the Flyers did. There is nothing unethical with it as long as its allowed. Holmgren, love him or hate him, is not afraid of making a big move and is constantly looking to improve his team.

04-16-2013, 01:17 AM
MikeK

Good points. I guess it all comes down to Weber and if he wants to be there. Still though, Weber has no NTC or NMC so the Preds can trade him to the biggest offer without the players input. I still believe he is moved and I don't necessarily think Weber would be apposed.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:19 AM
sansabri
#blocktheboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Loved what the Flyers did. There is nothing unethical with it as long as its allowed. Holmgren, love him or hate him, is not afraid of making a big move and is constantly looking to improve his team.
you only say that now because you forgot what the lockout was about.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Holmgren basically went out of his way to screw a small market team that isn't even in his conference. I could understand if a team in Nashville's own division or conference wanted to sign that deal to screw Nashville but Philly had absolutely nothing to gain other then bullying a small market club.

At worst he should have just given Weber 14M in Salary the first couple seasons instead of turning most of that cash into signing bonuses before the season starts

Old
04-16-2013, 01:20 AM
DesertDawg

I believe and if I'm wrong please correct me, but Nashville has to pay next years signing bonus before Weber becomes available to trade. That would mean his salary is only $1 MIL. Wouldn't make any sense to trade him then...

Old
04-16-2013, 01:22 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDawg View Post
I believe and if I'm wrong please correct me, but Nashville has to pay next years signing bonus before Weber becomes available to trade. That would mean his salary is only $1 MIL. Wouldn't make any sense to trade him then...
Yep basically the first 2 seasons have a 13M dollar bonus before the season starts and 1M salary that season. As I said I would love the League to give Nashville the option of trading Weber before the second bonus kicks in and then allow them to do what they think is best for them

Old
04-16-2013, 01:26 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Yep basically the first 2 seasons have a 13M dollar bonus before the season starts and 1M salary that season. As I said I would love the League to give Nashville the option of trading Weber before the second bonus kicks in and then allow them to do what they think is best for them
Considering what they did with the Redden and Gomez situations this season it isn't out of the realm of possibility. A lot has to do with what Weber wants as well. If the player quietly says he wants a change then something will be done.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Nashville should of matched the Flyer's offer and sent him home for the duration of the contract and let him go wah-wah to the NHLPA or whoever else he wants to.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:31 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Nashville should of matched the Flyer's offer and sent him home for the duration of the contract and let him go wah-wah to the NHLPA or whoever else he wants to.
You don't do that to any player let alone a franchise player like Weber.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
He can be moved this July and I have a feeling he will be. Just for giggles lets all guess where he ends up. I think Edmonton takes a serious run at him.
If the Preds moved him, I do think that would be a good choice for them.

From EDM for example. They could probably get something along the lines of:

Eberle + 2014 1st + Klefbom or Musil + Gernat

Eberle is a game changing forward, something NSH has severely missed for a long time. A 2014 1st from a team that really, could end up anywhere at this point. So young and talented, they could explode, or struggle again.

And then either 1 very good D prospect, or 2 decent ones. And with the way the Preds can develop Dmen, those guys would very likely become solid Top 4 guys in the NHL one day.

The return the Preds would get for Weber would be huge. If they decide to move him. Although personally, I don't think they will. There first this year and Filip Forsberg will bring them some offensive firepower they so desperately need.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:35 AM
zeus3007*

Nowhere.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Crymson
Fire Holland

Quote:
Considering what they did with the Redden and Gomez situations this season it isn't out of the realm of possibility. A lot has to do with what Weber wants as well. If the player quietly says he wants a change then something will be done.
Gomez and Redden were bought out because they were absolutely not worth the idiotic contracts that Sather gave them. This description by no means extends to Weber.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

for the nashville ppl - don't you run the risk the team gets worse trading him (even w/ the return)?

Old
04-16-2013, 01:38 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
If the Preds moved him, I do think that would be a good choice for them.

From EDM for example. They could probably get something along the lines of:

Eberle + 2014 1st + Klefbom or Musil + Gernat

Eberle is a game changing forward, something NSH has severely missed for a long time. A 2014 1st from a team that really, could end up anywhere at this point. So young and talented, they could explode, or struggle again.

And then either 1 very good D prospect, or 2 decent ones. And with the way the Preds can develop Dmen, those guys would very likely become solid Top 4 guys in the NHL one day.

The return the Preds would get for Weber would be huge. If they decide to move him. Although personally, I don't think they will. There first this year and Filip Forsberg will bring them some offensive firepower they so desperately need.
You make some good points but lets get real about Forsberg. He is a ways off from being offensive firepower. If that is who NASH is banking on then they are in trouble. Not knocking the kid but he's a kid none the less. He hasn't even played a handful of games yet. No doubt he will be a great hockey player but the kid has a lot to learn at the NHL level.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Holmgren basically went out of his way to screw a small market team that isn't even in his conference. I could understand if a team in Nashville's own division or conference wanted to sign that deal to screw Nashville but Philly had absolutely nothing to gain other then bullying a small market club.

At worst he should have just given Weber 14M in Salary the first couple seasons instead of turning most of that cash into signing bonuses before the season starts
And? Philly is in desperate need of defense and saw an opportunity to not only remedy that woe, but do so with one of the league's best players. Gillis publicly admitted he considered doing so had he thought Nashville might now match. It's called strategy and addressing a much needed weakness. Nevertheless, Weber chose to sign the offer knowing the ramifications it might have. I'd fault him before Holmgren.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:41 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
Gomez and Redden were bought out because they were absolutely not worth the idiotic contracts that Sather gave them. This description by no means extends to Weber.
Yes you are correct but the league made a special clause so they could be bought out before the end of the year. Under any other circumstance they would have had to wait a full season before being bought out.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:41 AM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
for the nashville ppl - don't you run the risk the team gets worse trading him (even w/ the return)?
I don't exactly know the Predators cap situations but if they have an internal cap 14M might be to much to pay him and might be better of trading him and using the money better ways for the team.

All that being said if they have to pay him the 13M before the season starts I can't see them trading him and his 1M salary during the season(unless they get a sweetheart deal at the deadline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
And? Philly is in desperate need of defense and saw an opportunity to not only remedy that woe, but do so with one of the league's best players. Gillis publicly admitted he considered doing so had he thought Nashville might now match. It's called strategy and addressing a much needed weakness. Nevertheless, Weber chose to sign the offer knowing the ramifications it might have. I'd fault him before Holmgren.
I still see it as a butthole move(basically giving Weber 27M to play 1 season before Nashville can trade him). It's basically a damned if they do, damned if they don't situation for a cash strapped team like Nashville

Quote:
I honestly don't see the NHL giving Nashville an out on this(assuming they want to), rules are rules.

Last edited by boredmale: 04-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 01:42 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
You don't do that to any player let alone a franchise player like Weber.
Why? Weber should never have done what he did either. The situation would resolve itself and Nashville would be better off then the situation they are in now.

That was an ugly stunt pulled by both Philly and Weber and all is fair when you do things like that in business.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
You make some good points but lets get real about Forsberg. He is a ways off from being offensive firepower. If that is who NASH is banking on then they are in trouble. Not knocking the kid but he's a kid none the less. He hasn't even played a handful of games yet. No doubt he will be a great hockey player but the kid has a lot to learn at the NHL level.
Well yes, as is the case with most prospects there are still huge question marks.

But if he developes how he should/expect, he'll be a solid offensive contributor for the Preds. And there 1st this year(Possible top 5) could be even better.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the Preds are planning on drafting Lindholm if they end up in the 5-7 range at the draft. It would make sense for them to have gone out and gotten a fellow sewdish prospect for Lindholm to play with.

An all Swedish top line of Hornqvist - Lindholm - Forsberg would be pretty dangerous for the Preds in a couple years.

If they moved Weber for a Forward + Dman combo, they could be even more dangerous.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:46 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Minnesota is looking to improve their defense.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:48 AM
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Minnesota is looking to improve their defense.
HAHA. Wouldn't that be something. Although with what they gave BUFF I am not sure they have much left in the cupboards to pay for Weber let alone cap space.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:50 AM
caley

It's going to be an interesting situation to keep an eye on, Martin Erat essentially asked for a trade because he believed the team is rebuilding and he wanted to contend before a rebuild is done. Shea Weber made some sort of statement last summer that "obviously things have changed" after the Preds lost Suter to Minnesota. I wouldn't be shocked if he tells Nashville brass that he'd like to be traded as soon as it's possible.

But, if you're Nashville, can you afford to make that deal? Franchise/#1 defencemen don't tend to get traded and when they do they rarely return proper value (St. Louis got Eric Brewer and two prospects who busted for Chris Pronger; If Edmonton hadn't turned that mid-1st into Eberle they would have been left with Smid for Pronger; Calgary's return on Phaneuf was negligible; etc. etc.). I don't think it's entirely hyperbolic to suggest that Nashville trading Shea Weber could lead to the relocation of the Predators down the line. It's tough to convince fans to keep coming/keep paying for tickets if the team isn't able to hold onto its best players.