HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is the Blues' MVP this season?

View Poll Results: Who is the Blues MVP this season?
Backes 2 2.11%
Oshie 2 2.11%
Steen 4 4.21%
Stewart 19 20.00%
Berglund 0 0%
Perron 0 0%
Sobotka 28 29.47%
Tarasenko 1 1.05%
Schwartz 2 2.11%
McDonald 0 0%
Nichol 0 0%
Reaves 0 0%
Porter 1 1.05%
Cracknell 0 0%
Pietrangelo 6 6.32%
Shattenkirk 4 4.21%
Jackman 6 6.32%
Polak 0 0%
Russell 0 0%
Cole 0 0%
Halak 0 0%
Elliott 1 1.05%
Allen 19 20.00%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
Blues won the Central last year and had 109 points. Stewart was invisible or horrid on most nights, getting himself demoted to the 4th line.

How is he the most valuable player on the team this season when its obvious the Blues arent useless without him? He's been good and has ramped his game up helping the Blues, but he's been inconsistent like most of the Blues.

While he was hot, Allen was in net for a good portion of that.

Petro has been just as inconsistent as stewart.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:38 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
Petro has been just as inconsistent as stewart.
Not exactly. Pietro has had bad games, yes.

You tell me: Take away Stewart or Pietro this year. Which one do you pick? Think of the standings, not the points.

Steen! < Id change my vote to Pie, but Steen has come up with some clutch plays to win us games and Pie has been inconsistent, no doubt. THIS YEAR. But there's only only one player this team cant afford to lose and that is Pietrangelo. I gave Steen the nod for MVP, purely based on play this year so far, but I know that Pie is the most important player on this team future-wise.

sbet1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 10:53 PM
Daley Tarasenkshow
#hateonbackes

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbet1998 View Post
Not exactly. Pietro has had bad games, yes.

You tell me: Take away Stewart or Pietro this year. Which one do you pick? Think of the standings, not the points.

Steen! < Id change my vote to Pie, but Steen has come up with some clutch plays to win us games and Pie has been inconsistent, no doubt. THIS YEAR. But there's only only one player this team cant afford to lose and that is Pietrangelo. I gave Steen the nod for MVP, purely based on play this year so far, but I know that Pie is the most important player on this team future-wise.
I'm still sticking with Stewart on this.

Daley Tarasenkshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 11:21 PM
sbet1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by your jaskin too much View Post
I'm still sticking with Stewart on this.
That's your opinion and apparently you are not alone. I like Stewart myself, just not as this team's MVP. That's my opinion. To each their own and with this team its hard to find the real MVP. If there is one.

sbet1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:21 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

I didn't consider Allen and my reasoning is Allen spent half the year in Peoria, and has only played 14 games with the Blues, has lost 3 of his last 4 starts also, hardly a qualifier for team MVP in my opinion, but to each his own.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:17 AM
HanniBlues

I went with Schwarz. He has played on every line and has been a consistent physical force. Yes, he is small-ish, but physical non the less. And he is better at holding the puck than Perron, and only very slightly less than Berglund. Good passer too.

HanniBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:58 AM
BrainOfJ
Diva

I love that Reaves is an option

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:11 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

We live in a world where real people think this team minus Pietrangelo is better than this team minus Stewart. I can't ... I don't even ... cannot encapsulate appropriate response ... laugh/cry/giggle? ... help me, Elizabeth Kubler-Ross ...

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
I didn't consider Allen and my reasoning is Allen spent half the year in Peoria, and has only played 14 games with the Blues, has lost 3 of his last 4 starts also, hardly a qualifier for team MVP in my opinion, but to each his own.
I went with Allen. Without him steadying the ship when Halįk and Elliott were in meltdown, who knows where we would be just now.

No outstanding candidates at this point, but I don't think we can point to another having such a significant impact as Allen did in his first 9 or 10 starts.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:31 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Take Stewart off our team, and we have 3 guys capable of replacing him. Take Petro off the team, and we're a bubble playoff team. Petro is by far our best player. By far. Not even debatable really. We are disappointed in Petro because he hasn't been as good as he was the second half of last season, but he was probably the best Dman in the league over that time. He had a rough beginning of the season, but he's played well the last couple of weeks, almost a full month. I think you could take Stewie off this team and still have a great team. He's a nice player to have when he's really controlling the game like he's capable, but the same could be said for a lot of players on this team(Berglund, Perron etc.)

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Big Papa Dapa

I don't understand why people keep bringing up last season or a players trade value in this thread. MVP is based on a players performance for the current season and nothing else. Petro has been lack luster so the argument of a team without Petro and a team without Stewart is moot. Petro is just having a slow season like Stewart did last year. That said I think they 3 players that have the top vote are pretty fair picks.

Soby has definitely been a consistent player and the most consistent for the last couple years. Sure he isn't a scoring force but thats not his job. However, if we needed him in that roll he could be. He quaterbacked the powerplay for his international team and played the top line. The guy plays a 7 foot game and shows his scoring prowess.

Stewart had a very hot run this season much like when we first acquired him. He is leading the team in goals and points. So there is no reason not to consider him as the choice for this vote.

Allen came up from Peoria with little NHL experience and he stepped up when we needed him to. He very well could be the reason we make the playoffs because of the string of games he played for us. Thats why you could consider him.

Petro has not been an impact player this season, he just hasn't. There is no argument to make him MVP.

I have lurked on here for a couple years and I finally decided to put my 2 cents into something. Do i think ther is a clear cut MVP? No. And on a side not I am suprised no one has even mentioned Berglund and the scoring he has done this season.

Big Papa Dapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:25 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Dapa View Post
I don't understand why people keep bringing up last season or a players trade value in this thread. MVP is based on a players performance for the current season and nothing else. Petro has been lack luster so the argument of a team without Petro and a team without Stewart is moot. Petro is just having a slow season like Stewart did last year. That said I think they 3 players that have the top vote are pretty fair picks.

Soby has definitely been a consistent player and the most consistent for the last couple years. Sure he isn't a scoring force but thats not his job. However, if we needed him in that roll he could be. He quaterbacked the powerplay for his international team and played the top line. The guy plays a 7 foot game and shows his scoring prowess.

Stewart had a very hot run this season much like when we first acquired him. He is leading the team in goals and points. So there is no reason not to consider him as the choice for this vote.

Allen came up from Peoria with little NHL experience and he stepped up when we needed him to. He very well could be the reason we make the playoffs because of the string of games he played for us. Thats why you could consider him.

Petro has not been an impact player this season, he just hasn't. There is no argument to make him MVP.

I have lurked on here for a couple years and I finally decided to put my 2 cents into something. Do i think ther is a clear cut MVP? No. And on a side not I am suprised no one has even mentioned Berglund and the scoring he has done this season.
This is exactly right.

I would argue that overall Backes is our 2nd most important player right up there with Pietrangelo. But has he been our MVP this season? No.

And hmm look at that, Backes has 0 votes. Yet people are still trying to vote for Pietrangelo. Just no, doesn't make sense.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:44 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
This is exactly right.

I would argue that overall Backes is our 2nd most important player right up there with Pietrangelo. But has he been our MVP this season? No.

And hmm look at that, Backes has 0 votes. Yet people are still trying to vote for Pietrangelo. Just no, doesn't make sense.
The poll didn't ask who was the 2nd MVP, so my answer wasn't Backes.

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:21 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
The poll didn't ask who was the 2nd MVP, so my answer wasn't Backes.
Because you apparently don't know what an MVP is. It hasn't been Pietrangelo this season whatsoever.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:33 AM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Because you apparently don't know what an MVP is. It hasn't been Pietrangelo this season whatsoever.
Who gets the toughest matchups? Who makes 10+ great defensive plays a night? Who's putting up great numbers again despite not having the best teammates to help him do so? Tell me a player besides Petro that fits that description. What the **** do you think would happen if anyone other than Backes and Pietrangelo had those assignments?

Old
04-16-2013, 12:42 AM
BlueDream

Quote:
Who gets the toughest matchups? Who makes 10+ great defensive plays a night? Who's putting up great numbers again despite not having the best teammates to help him do so? Tell me a player besides Petro that fits that description. What the **** do you think would happen if anyone other than Backes and Pietrangelo had those assignments?
Not Pietrangelo.

Last year yes, but go ahead and keep overrating his play this season.

Also that's exactly my point. Overall Pietrangelo and Backes are the most important players on this team, but THIS season they have not been that good. But it's funny, we have a small group of you who insist Pietrangelo has been the MVP, but somehow it's still a consensus that Backes sucks. How does that work?

Old
04-16-2013, 12:50 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Papa Dapa View Post

Add my 2 cents to yours:

Saying, and rightly so, that you don't understand how people bring in last years performance just to say later Sobi is, rightly again, the most consistant guy over the last couple of seasons doesn't make sense to me

And no argument pro Petro?
Well, I think if there is not a standout guy (like JT for the Isles per example) you go with the "take-out" formula so the most valuable one is the one who is the hardest to replace....and that would be Petro, followed by Backes

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:26 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

I hadn't voted yet, as I was waiting for the end of the regular season, but I'll go ahead and cast my vote/make a case for Backes.

1) He plays the hardest ES minutes, by far, of anyone on the team (forward or defenseman). For the advanced stat people out there, his Corsi Rel QoC is 1.557. That's good enough for 13th overall in the league among all players with at least 20GP (7th among forwards, and 5th among centers behind Sutter, Datsyuk, Nielsen, and Hanzal).

Of those 7 forwards, only 3 have a positive Corsi...Datsyuk, Hanzal, and Backes. What's even more impressive is that Backes generates that positive Corsi while starting 41.4% of his shifts in the offensive zone (lowest among all regulars on the Blues). He also finishes there 44.7% of the time, which means that in addition to generating positive shot differentials, he's also driving the play forward against outstanding competition. To compare, Datsyuk's numbers are 54.2% and 51.3%, and Hanzal's are 61.6% and 56.7%. Backes arguably plays harder minutes better than any forward in the league.

2) Back to the Blues for a moment. In spite of the competition he faces, Backes is the only forward who has played in the top 9 all year who finishes in the offensive zone more than he starts there. He's second overall on the team in driving the play forward to Jackman (who starts 41.9% in the offensive zone and finishes there 47%).

3) In spite of the competition he faces, Backes has a lower GA/60 at ES (1.99 GA per 60 minutes of ice time) than any regular (non-4th liner, non-scratch) on the team besides Perron (1.95 GA/60).

4) Back to "traditional" metrics for a minute. Backes is the tied for the team lead in assists, tied for 3rd in points, 5th in plus/minus, 2nd in shots, 3rd in overall TOI/game (excluding the two new defenseman), 1st in TOI/game among forwards, leads the team in hits by a lot, leads all forwards in blocked shots, has 23 takeaways to only 9 giveaways (second on the team in takeaways to Perron, and second in overall ratio to Sobotka), has a 51.7 faceoff percentage, and he hasn't missed a single game in spite of all the abuse his body takes.

That's all David "Second Line Center" Backes means to this team, folks.

Disappointing season my ***. I don't care where his goal total stands, I don't think there is a player here who has done more to help this team win this year.

Last edited by EastonBlues22: 04-16-2013 at 01:46 AM.
EastonBlues22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:12 AM
CarvinSigX

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

Last edited by CarvinSigX: 04-16-2013 at 02:44 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 02:59 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Now, if only you'd compile the stats for all the contenders for MVP so we can really see it.
Do your own legwork you lazy bum.

The Blues have a lot of guys who bring value to this team, in one way or another.

I would personally rank Pietrangelo #2 behind Backes at the moment. I think Oshie and Steen would also have been in the conversation with him this year if they hadn't both missed about a quarter of the season due to injury. As it is, they've simply missed too much time.

Each of the other forwards and defensemen that might be realistically considered have some very nice things that they bring to the table, but none of them come close to offering the sheer breadth of quality impact that Backes does on the game.

Shattenkirk has excelled in a number of areas (statistically and otherwise), but he's done so against the easiest competition of any regular defenseman. Same goes for Sobotka for the forwards. He's not doing nearly as much as Backes, and he's doing it against far easier competition. Jackman has really been a force for the Blues this year with regards to what he's asked to do, but he doesn't offer enough offensively to finish closing the gap with the top guys.

Stewart and Perron can make cases based largely on offensive production, but I don't think they're outproducing Backes by nearly enough to outweigh the (many) other things that Backes brings to the table that they don't do as well, or at all.

None of the goalies have done anywhere near enough to warrant serious MVP consideration in my book. None of them have as much as 16 starts, 10 wins, or a .905 save percentage. How can that top what Backes has done for the team?

I personally don't think there's anyone else worth seriously talking about beyond these guys.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 AM
CarvinSigX

That was my point, I just didn't feel like typing it to be honest. Petro's production compared to his peers is what puts him ahead of Backes in MY eyes, even in an off year. If Backes had more goals, say, enough where he wasn't a mere 3 points ahead of Petro...Then I'd change my mind. I could flip flop to Backes after this final stretch.

And don't let Easton fool you with his Jedi mod trick. I did my own homework...Damn keylogging edit resurrection. Crafty.

Last edited by CarvinSigX: 04-16-2013 at 03:18 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 03:30 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
That was my point, I just didn't feel like typing it to be honest. Petro's production compared to his peers is what puts him ahead of Backes in MY eyes, even in an off year. If Backes had more goals, say, enough where he wasn't a mere 3 points ahead of Petro...Then I'd change my mind. I could flip flop to Backes after this final stretch.
I wouldn't expect Backes to have much separation from Pietrangelo in the point column, so I'm not really using that to distinguish between the two.

What I do expect from Pietrangenlo (and Backes as well) is to be able to drive the play forward against superior competition. There's tremendous value in that for a team. Last year they both did it. This year Backes is doing it and Pietrangelo isn't (in spite of having more favorable matchups and playing in more favorable situations). That's the biggest factor for me, personally, although Backes has other things going for him as well.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:32 AM
EastonBlues22
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
<snip>

And don't let Easton fool you with his Jedi mod trick. I did my own homework...Damn keylogging edit resurrection. Crafty.
If only that were true.

I simply quoted you to start my reply (which took awhile to complete) before you had a chance to edit your post.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:31 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

I think the one who doesn't show up in the scoresheet, but has consistently shown that he can and will do what will make the team better not at any great expense is Armstrong. I think there is a no vote for the players and a vote for the GM in their absence. On paper and in view at Peoria, no one would have considered Allen a viable candidate for being the glue to hold our feeble goaltending together. He stuck with Schwartz even though on paper and in view, (average #s and worst plus/minus at Peoria) he didn't look ready for the NHL. (I admit I'm totally wrong on Schwartz) He pulled off the J-Bo and Leopold trades for very little, and fixed what was a major gaping hole in our defense. He got Hakanpaa over here and many rookies signed. Rather than make a move, Porter and Cracknell have been given a chance to shine and have. I'm not really too inclined to vote for any ONE player, because no one has stuck out or played all up to their capabilities as much as their GM this year.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

The more you look at this underperforming 2013 team, like others have mentioned, Armstrong should be one of the options, since it's quite obvious there is not one single player who stands out as team MVP, so I cast a vote to anyone else who would agree to a re-do of this poll with GM Armstrong and No One added to the poll. Thank you.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote