HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-15-2013, 02:22 PM
Oilers4life1987

vCash: 500
I find it stupid with a deep draft n IF we trade the 1st well have 2 second 2rounders, 5,6,7 rounders that dumb

Old
04-15-2013, 02:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 50
If we're trading a top 10 pick in a deep draft, that better be one hell of a player we're getting back

04-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
If we're trading a top 10 pick in a deep draft, that better be one hell of a player we're getting back
Which is why I'm against trading the pick. You won't get equal value. No matter how much we want an Enstrom, or Shattenkirk or Yandle, those guys aren't normally traded for draft picks.

It either becomes a quantity for quality trade(we get quantity), or we get someone who is older and doesn't exactly fit the core of this team.

Keep the pick, pick the best player for this team, improve the team in other ways (ie the non-Tambo sit on your ass method).

04-15-2013, 02:45 PM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Which is why I'm against trading the pick. You won't get equal value. No matter how much we want an Enstrom, or Shattenkirk or Yandle, those guys aren't normally traded for draft picks.

It either becomes a quantity for quality trade(we get quantity), or we get someone who is older and doesn't exactly fit the core of this team.

Keep the pick, pick the best player for this team, improve the team in other ways (ie the non-Tambo sit on your ass method).
I'm afraid they could trade the pick+ for Yandle. Phx has stated they want a big C to match up with the Thorton-types in the west. No question that is Monahan to a tee.

I really hope i'm wrong, but it makes a lot of sense.

Old
04-15-2013, 02:56 PM
dixs35

vCash: 50
Keep the 1st. They can trade every other pick this year, but keep the first. It is most likely a top 7 and there is elite talent there. The rest on the picks move for depth and NHL talent.

Old
04-15-2013, 03:18 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post

Totally agree with this. From the sounds of things MacT has been a proponent of bringing in a big center by way of the draft so hopefully he makes that happen.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:23 AM
jmoss45

From Matheson:

Quote:
The Edmonton Oilers will be interested in Sean Monahan if they miss the playoffs and pick between fifth and 10thin the June 30 NHL entry draft.

The Ottawa 67s centre is six-foot-two, 205 pounds. He isn’t on Canada’s world under-18 team for the tournament in Sochi, Russia, next week because he has a late 1994 birthday and it’s only for players born in ’95, ’96 or ’97. But Monahan gets a rave review from Kevin Prendergast, Hockey Canada’s chief scout, who put this team together.

“He’s a kid who can do just about anything. He can play the power play, kill penalties, play on the wing, on the top line, on your fourth line. Very versatile. For him to have 78 points on that Ottawa team was unbelievable. That was a bad team,” said Prendergast, who thinks Monahan could actually be ready for the NHL next season because of his size.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:33 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
From Matheson:
Monahan has a lot of Couturier in him in the sense that he could likely step into the lineup next year in a fourth line role. I wouldn't be counting on him for offence for a year or two but he can fill a role immediately given his size and defensive ability.

04-16-2013, 12:42 AM
Happy Hallidays
We are the 18%

Any of Monahan, Nicushkin or Nurse would make me a happy guy

Old
04-16-2013, 12:45 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If we don't get Jones, I want Barkov and only Barkov. GET ME BARKOV!!! AHHH!

Old
04-16-2013, 01:00 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post
Monahan has a lot of Couturier in him in the sense that he could likely step into the lineup next year in a fourth line role. I wouldn't be counting on him for offence for a year or two but he can fill a role immediately given his size and defensive ability.
I've been saying this for awhile...Monahan is ready to play in the NHL AND he is ready to contribute at both ends of the ice. His game is more developed than Couts was at the same stage. Kids hockey sense is way better than Couts. It's on par or close to Nuge's. I've seen all of the Oilers players play in juniors before we drafted them. Hall and Monahan were the most ready for the next step. Monahans game is just so pro ready. It's actually even more ready than Halls was. Hall still had some dangles and risky plays that worked in junior that was obvious wouldn't work in the NHL. Monahan doesn't have that in his game. He plays such a simple style tht will definitely translate. We would be lucky to draft him

Old
04-16-2013, 01:04 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
I've been saying this for awhile...Monahan is ready to play in the NHL AND he is ready to contribute at both ends of the ice. His game is more developed than Couts was at the same stage. Kids hockey sense is way better than Couts. It's on par or close to Nuge's. I've seen all of the Oilers players play in juniors before we drafted them. Hall and Monahan were the most ready for the next step. Monahans game is just so pro ready. It's actually even more ready than Halls was. Hall still had some dangles and risky plays that worked in junior that was obvious wouldn't work in the NHL. Monahan doesn't have that in his game. He plays such a simple style tht will definitely translate. We would be lucky to draft him
How are his hands? Overall skill and shot?

I've only seen him through a few Youtube clips to be honest.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:44 AM
SterlingArcher

I always thought Barkov would slot in to a 2C right away or has the ability to. Wile I thought Monahan could slot into a third or fourth line centre right away and develop a season or two and become that second line centre. He could be a 2C right away but Barkov I think has more offence while I feel Monahan is better on the dot and defensively. I could be wrong and it all be flip flopped but that's just my perception of things.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:58 AM
Soundwave

I get the feeling this pick will be traded.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:02 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I'm okay with that as long as we get a #1 d-man who isn't old and isn't a UFA in two years for the pick.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:05 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
I don't.

Only two things I've heard attributed to Mact since he's come back is that the Oilers need a big center, and that they really like Barkov.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post
I don't.

Only two things I've heard attributed to Mact since he's come back is that the Oilers need a big center, and that they really like Barkov.
Yeah but he's "impatient", and what trade assets do the Oilers really have?

Beyond the fab five, which are likely all untouchable for the forseeable future, this pick and Gagner are the main trade options, and dealing Gagner for defensive help opens up another big hole in the middle.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:

Beyond the fab five, which are likely all untouchable for the forseeable future, this pick and Gagner are the main trade options, and dealing Gagner for defensive help opens up another big hole in the middle.
Not if they are in the belief that Monahan can step in right away.

I'm starting to think Gagner might be headed to Phoenix.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:21 AM
puckfan13

I would trade our 1st rounder in the 5-10 range + Paajarvi for Couturier probably.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:21 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

Impatient sounds a lot like "prospects".

Kelfbom, PVR, Hartikanen, Lander, anyone not on the roster. Futures who might be good in time, yet teams might have interest acquiring for parts that would provide immediate help for the Oilers. That is the kind of impatient he sounds like he's talking about when he references the "solutions on the roster" and then talks about being impatient and making moves to support them.

Also, the pick if it gets them the player they want(Barkov/Mohanhan)likely immediately makes Gagner movable to this management group. Not the greatest idea, but it would be an impatient move to dump a 23 year old and insert another 18 year old into the 2nd line spot, and it's something Mact has done in the past as well(with Gagner no less).

But I highly suspect Mact's actual point about saying he's impatient is PR talking points to counterpoint Tambi's perceived failings as a GM rather than any actual honest assessment of how he'll move forward as the new GM. What he does, if he even does manage to do anything, is entirely up in the air and difficult to speculate on given he has zero track record to look at.

Last edited by Tarus: 04-16-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 03:26 AM
Toydarian

Based on where the Oilers might end up picking, I would be pretty happy with Monahan, Lindholm, or Nurse. I am weary of Nischushkin; I recall scouts and pundits claiming Nischushkin doesn't posses overly high hockey IQ and fails to utilize team-mates well.

Monahan seems like he could become a Zajac type centre, and there are some similarities in his game to Toews. I wouldn't expect him to be more than a 3rd of 4th line centre in the early stages of his career though.

I haven't watched Lindholm play, but from most accounts, he seems to be a great player. Everyone mentions Forsberg-style of play and statistically out performing Backstrom at the same age. Both of those are pretty lofty comparisons though.

Nurse intrigues me the most. Sounds like a nasty piece of work with some size, offensive ability and athleticism. If he develops well, he'd be an incredibly valuable player.

Last edited by Toydarian: 04-16-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 03:40 AM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Nurse intrigues me the most. Sounds like a nasty piece of work with some size, offensive ability and athleticism. If he develops well, he'd be an incredibly valuable player.
If the Oilers end up drafting at 7 overall (where they're slotted right now if they lose tomorrow), Nurse could end up being a major wild card for us.

If he's available, he presents a high-potential defenceman with a seemingly low chance of busting given his size and skating ability. Whether the offence develops is up for debate but if not, we still have a decent stay-at-home guy with size.

If a team in the top 5 falls in love with Nurse and he's not available at 7, that likely results in someone falling to us that we'll really want. Assuming Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov, and Nurse go before us in the top 7, that gives us a choice between Lindholm or Monahan.

The top 7 is where I'm hoping the Oilers stay. If they fall back even one pick, there's a decent chance both Nurse and the two centremen are off the board. That would leave us with taking a gamble on Nichuskin (which might end up being the best pick at that spot) or taking one of the second tier defencemen in Ristolainen, Pulock, or Zadorov.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
I would trade our 1st rounder in the 5-10 range + Paajarvi for Couturier probably.
I dunno about that. That's like saying we potentially trade Barkov and Paajarvi for Couturier. I would deal the pick + a B level prospect or another pick but I dont think I would deal Paajarvi along with that pick. Would love to work a deal around our 1st for Couturier though. We need immediate help and he is young enough to bring that plus would be the perfect second line center. Just needs to work on faceoffs. His faceoff % is lower than Gagner but not by much.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:44 AM
puckfan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
I dunno about that. That's like saying we potentially trade Barkov and Paajarvi for Couturier. I would deal the pick + a B level prospect or another pick but I dont think I would deal Paajarvi along with that pick. Would love to work a deal around our 1st for Couturier though. We need immediate help and he is young enough to bring that plus would be the perfect second line center. Just needs to work on faceoffs. His faceoff % is lower than Gagner but not by much.
Even if it is Barkov, I might still do it. Looks like a great prospect, but who knows how these guys really turn out, there's an inherent risk factor with any prospect. It's a calculated risk, but I think I'd be willing to do it for a shot at a sure thing, which Couturier is. Playing with godawful plugs this year and playing Philly's toughest minutes, he takes 70% of his faceoffs in his own defensive zone, that's near Malholtra levels. He's clearly demonstrated offensive prowess at both juniors and AHL levels, free him up a bit on that front to play with better players and you have yourself a damn good player. He's one of the most defensively advanced players for his age I've ever seen, more than Jordan Staal was at the same age. Not worried about his faceoffs when he's bringing so many other dimensions to the table. You have to give to get, MacT talked about risk today. Philly is going to want a legit roster player back probably. It's similar to the Carter to Columbus trade or Staal to Carolina trade last year.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:13 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Even if it is Barkov, I might still do it. Looks like a great prospect, but who knows how these guys really turn out, there's an inherent risk factor with any prospect. It's a calculated risk, but I think I'd be willing to do it for a shot at a sure thing, which Couturier is. Playing with godawful plugs this year and playing Philly's toughest minutes, he takes 70% of his faceoffs in his own defensive zone, that's near Malholtra levels. He's clearly demonstrated offensive prowess at both juniors and AHL levels, free him up a bit on that front to play with better players and you have yourself a damn good player. He's one of the most defensively advanced players for his age I've ever seen, more than Jordan Staal was at the same age. Not worried about his faceoffs when he's bringing so many other dimensions to the table. You have to give to get, MacT talked about risk today. Philly is going to want a legit roster player back probably. It's similar to the Carter to Columbus trade or Staal to Carolina trade last year.
I conpletely agree with you. His defensive game is amazing, forget how young he is. The fact that he shutdown Malkin, former conn smythe winner and one of the best players in the game at the time as a rookie speaks volume about his defensive game. However, I feel that Barkov is a can't miss prospect. His ceiling is similar to Couturier's. I know there is a calculated risk that comes with prospects but I have a hard time seeing a guy like Barkov bust. The thing is, Staal and Carter were much more proven but they also did get more. I'm on the fence about that trade, if I were MacT, I would push for a prospect or picks instead of trading paajarvi along with that pick.

Closed Thread