HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres sign Chad Ruhwedel, Lowell defenseman

Old
04-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Afino
The Juice

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
When contract details come out, I'll calculate it.

And as I posted in the GDT, he's stuck in the NHL for this year.
He's not playoff help for the Amerks.
John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl
Chad Ruhwedel's two-year contract with the Sabres will pay $925,000 in both this season (prorated) and next season, a source tells The News.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:26 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Great team to break in against since the Flyers are clearly mailing it in.

04-13-2013, 05:31 PM
krt88

Send a message via AIM to krt88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
Selling points to get college free agent to sign with your team:
1. We have a spot in the NHL lineup right away.
2. Play one game this season and burn a year of your ELC.

Sabres are building for next year, so why not? McNabb is hurt and seems like Schiestel, Crawford and Biega (UFA) are not in their immediate (next season) NHL plans.
If he burns a year in these last seven games, he can sign a contract extension this summer. Maybe Buffalo had a verbal agreement to do this.

krt88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 05:33 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
John Vogl @BuffNewsVogl
Chad Ruhwedel's two-year contract with the Sabres will pay $925,000 in both this season (prorated) and next season, a source tells The News.
Ah, thanks, I missed that.

(($925,000 * 58.5%) * 1/99) = $5465.91 for one day then, barring any signing bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krt88 View Post
If he burns a year in these last seven games, he can sign a contract extension this summer. Maybe Buffalo had a verbal agreement to do this.
The year is already gone.

In fact, he could have played in no games at all and the year would have been gone, since they opted for the contract to begin this season, not next season.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:23 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
I unfortunately didn't get to watch the game today (had to work and it was in the afternoon) so I couldn't see him play, but from what you guys are saying, I like this signing already. To think, overnight practically we added another prospect to the pipeline just like that. Not saying he's going to be anything special or even an NHL player one day but there's definitely a chance and he seems like a decent prospect so I'm a-okay with this and I'm excited.

Very impressed with his college stats. 63 points in 110 GP. Not bad at all. Probably won't put up numbers like that in this league but if he can do a little of that and develop further defensively he could be a decent NHL defenseman. Hopefully at least bottom-pairing, maybe top-four if we're lucky. Not terribly big but not too small and seems like a good leader which you can never have enough of, especially in this organization. The fact he's a righty is even better, as we really only have Myers and Pysyk as righties right now on the roster. None of the other right-handed prospects are ready yet.

Excited for this guy.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
kenfury

I figure worst case scenario he fills in a hole for the rest of the season, has a good but unspectacular camp next year and plays a few years as a 6/7 type guy. Small sample size though. Unfortunately he is nothing special, not big, not a great shot, not fast, etc... solid in all aspects but exceptional in any. Time will tell.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 09:20 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I figure worst case scenario he fills in a hole for the rest of the season, has a good but unspectacular camp next year and plays a few years as a 6/7 type guy. Small sample size though. Unfortunately he is nothing special, not big, not a great shot, not fast, etc... solid in all aspects but exceptional in any. Time will tell.
Nothing wrong with a defenseman who is not exceptional -- as long as the puck stays out of the net when he's out there, great.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by trickster View Post
Gaining the team's trust will be a big step for Ruh, but someone will need to take this kid under their wing.

With about a minute left in the first, his break out pass was easily picked off and it lead to an opportunity for the Flyers...

It will take time.
That was the only bad play I noticed, though I missed some of the game and wasn't always paying great attention. Definitely tried to squeeze in a pass that had little chance of making it through with the calibre of player he tried to get it through. That's the kind of thing that you really have to adjust to regardless of how naturally good you are, the speed of the game. Hell, we've seen many of our veterans do that sort of thing far too often this season.

So in short, I really didn't see anything bad from him as a player, just a couple bad plays. Didn't see anything fantastic either, so one shouldn't get carried away, but the following does seem true:

#1 He's currently good enough for the NHL role he was gifted (in this situation [team sucks, is thin on defense] at least)

#2 Very poised player. I don't recall seeing him rush anything or show that he felt the pressure. The aforementioned bad pass was more a matter of trying to make a pretty play rather than a safe one.

#3 His physical tools seem above-average. Solid skating and his shot could be something at this level. Build seems pretty solid as well.

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 04-14-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Rob Paxon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 10:23 PM
VaporTrail
Registered Tanker

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Ah, thanks, I missed that.

(($925,000 * 58.5%) * 1/99) = $5465.91 for one day then, barring any signing bonus.

The year is already gone.

In fact, he could have played in no games at all and the year would have been gone, since they opted for the contract to begin this season, not next season.
So let's see since yesterday he's made $10,931.82

Wow, when you look at it like that...It just seems so crazy.

VaporTrail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:01 AM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

Still haven't had a chance to watch his first game, but I tried to watch him whenever he was on the ice today and I'll just echo basically what everyone has been saying about the guy... he just looked steady. Played a modest, mistake-free game and he never looked flustered - he has a lot of similar qualities to Mark Pysyk. If you look at some of his college highlights he does have a lot more offensive ability than he's shown, and I bet he puts up a decent amount of points in the final few games once he's more comfortable.

Don't want to label this as a home run signing after two games, but from what everyone is saying about his first game and what I saw against Tampa, he looks the part of a NHL defenseman. It's pretty impressive considering the huge difference in talent level, and learning to play with a team he's literally never played a second with. His first real test will come in Boston on Wednesday, though.

Last edited by Sean McG: 04-15-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:04 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
Still haven't had a chance to watch his first game, but I tried to watch him whenever he was on the ice today and I'll just echo basically what everyone has been saying about the guy... he just looked steady. Played a modest, mistake-free game and he never looked flustered - he has a lot of similar qualities to Mark Pysyk. If you look at some of his college highlights he does have a lot more offensive ability than he's shown, and I bet he puts up a decent amount of points in the final few games once he's more comfortable.

Don't want to label this as a home run signing after two games, but from what everyone is saying about his first game and what I saw against Tampa, he looks the part of a NHL defenseman. It's pretty impressive considering the huge difference in talent level, and learning to play with a team he's literally never played a second with. His first real test will come Boston on Wednesday, though.
His puck control, size, skating, and release all remind me of Brian Rafalski. If he blossoms to half the dman Rafalski was, it's a hell of a signing.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 04:43 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Judging by what everyone has said I'd say this has pretty much guaranteed we won't be re-signing Sulzer this offseason. Between him and Pysyk we're not doing to bad on the blueline.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:27 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
His puck control, size, skating, and release all remind me of Brian Rafalski. If he blossoms to half the dman Rafalski was, it's a hell of a signing.
To add to the similarities, Rafalski was also an undrafted UFA. Though his path took him through Europe for a bit before ending up with the Devils.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

I kinda like this guy. Doesn't try to do too much. Made a bad play against the flyers. But first game. Someone should mentor him too I think. Like guide.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:41 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
I kinda like this guy. Doesn't try to do too much. Made a bad play against the flyers. But first game. Someone should mentor him too I think. Like guide.
He mentioned that Weber has helped him since he arrived.

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:43 AM
Revelate

I like how mobile our defense is right now. Between Ehrhoff, Sekera, Ruhwedel, and Pysyk with have some gifted skaters back there.

Revelate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:45 AM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
He mentioned that Weber has helped him since he arrived.
That's good then. I thought about that, having one of Weber or Ehrhoff guide him.

Silence Of The Plams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:50 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

We have to be careful about the Steve Bernier factor: play great the first few games with all the adrenaline flowing...and then take a step back.

The biggest plus from this signing is it gives McNabb real competition for a spot next year. He's going to have to beat someone out instead of getting a spot just because it is open.

Ehrhoff
Sekera
Myers
Weber
Pysyk

are locks IMO. That leaves 1 spot for a rookie (McNabb/Ruhwedel), and one for a vet #7 (Pardy/Sulzer/UFA).

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:01 AM
Shoey
Hello.

When I heard the Sabres were signing an undrafted rookie free agent to be their 6D for the rest of the season I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Ruhwedel has completely shut me up, he's playing a really effective and confident game so far.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:13 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoey View Post
When I heard the Sabres were signing an undrafted rookie free agent to be their 6D for the rest of the season I thought it was absolutely hilarious.

Ruhwedel has completely shut me up, he's playing a really effective and confident game so far.
I thought it was a real smart recruiting job with the state of the team (depleted D depth, injury to Myers, no playoffs).

Any other year/situation, he would have signed with another team.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Shoey
Hello.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I thought it was a real smart recruiting job with the state of the team (depleted D depth, injury to Myers, no playoffs).

Any other year/situation, he would have signed with another team.
the fact that he looks relatively ready for that role is the big surprise... what undrafted kid goes right into the NHL as a defenseman and looks more or less solid?

it's nuts.

I think Pegula's scouting department might actually be working.

Shoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
the fact that he looks relatively ready for that role is the big surprise... what undrafted kid goes right into the NHL as a defenseman and looks more or less solid?

it's nuts.

you mean Darcy's scouting department?

Imlach a cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:25 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
you mean Darcy's scouting department?
Funded by significantly more money from Pegula

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Jacob582

Quote:

it's nuts.

I have to agree with that. I think about Flynn who played 5 games in the AHL last season after college. He was a good player, but wasn't really ready to jump right into that league. It took him half a month at the beginning of this season to take off.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:28 AM
rsg87

It was a different time and scenario but what went through my mind when I heard the Sabres were going to do this it reminded me of Barasso jumping from High School to the pros. He's not often remembered as a Sabre but he did that and then went on to win the Vezina that year unreal.

rsg87 is offline   Reply With Quote