HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

My New Jersey Plan (proposal)

Old
09-01-2006, 04:48 AM
Varius

vCash: 500
My New Jersey Plan (proposal)

I don't follow NJ at all, but am waiting for some laundry to finish so I can go to sleep...so here goes nothing

Ok, the way I added things up, I think NJ is currently at $45,974,566 in payroll for the upcoming season. This is without

Albelin
Clemmensen
Gionta
Hale
Kozlov
Langdon
Martin
Rasmussen

Now, I see to start the season at least, Matvichuk and Wiemer won't count towards the cap as they are injured. So that shaves off $2,250,000 bringing the magic number down to:

$43,754,566 (safely under the cap of $44 million)

Now I'm not really aware of any two-way deals some fo their players may have, if they have those, that's some other cash they might be able to save. For the sake of this post though, I'll pretend they don't have any.

I would sign Clemmensen firstly. He didn't astonish anyone with his mediocre play last year, and will definately be the backup on this team (no way will he challenge Brodeur for the starting job). However, he probably won't have to see many games again and wasn't that terrible, so I say keep him. Minimum salary should do ($450K).

That leaves the Devils set in goal, and at $44,204,566

Next up is defense, and I definately think both Hale and Martin will be resigned. I'd give Hale $650K and Martin $1,200,000 (either player could be signed to multi-year deals, but here I'm only worrying about the cap hit for this season).

Payroll now at $46,054,566.

That leaves the Devils with:

Rafalski, Martin, Lukowich, White, Klee, McGillis, Hale, Greene and the injured Matvichuk. Good enough D to start the season with.

Onwards to offense:

I'll give the Devils the benefit of the doubt and say Gionta accepts a discount to stay with them at $4.5 million (also he only had this one year, so maybe Lou can use the 'might be a fluke' for leverage).

I'd also sign Rasmussen for about $575K.

New total: $51,129,566

Forwards look like (sorry I don't know their lines from last year, so I'm just trying to fill in spots):

Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Mogilny (?) - Parise - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - Madden - Tallackson
Brylin - Rasmussen - Marshall
Depth: Janssen, Ryznar, Wiemer (injured)

So basically, we have a decent enough team to start the year, but need to cut $7,129,566 in salary. We have the rights still to Albelin, Langdon and Kozlov.

I will expect the Devils to try and keep their EGG line together if possible, so I won't trade any of those players away.

Here's who I see can go:

Madden - $3,892,566
White - $3,000,000
Brylin - $1,520,000
Marshall - $760,000

Total: $8,172,566

This means whatever trades we do, we cannot take on more than $1,043,000 back. I'd try and do:

White for a 2nd-round pick
Kozlov for decent prospect/pick package
Brylin for a 3rd-round pick
Marshall for a 5th-round pick
Albelin for late pick
Langdon for late pick
Madden for cheaper C (under the $1,043,000 left) in the same mold (example, for Pahlsson - Ducks wouldnt do this though, but you get the idea).

This gets the Devils below cap, and has their team looking like:

Elias - Gomez - Gionta
Mogilny (?) - Parise - Langenbrunner
Pandolfo - X - Tallackson
Ryznar - Rasmussen - Janssen
Depth: Wiemer (injured)

Rafalski - Klee
Martin - Lukowich
Greene - Hale
Depth: McGillis, Matvichuk (injured)

Brodeur
Clemmenson
Doyle

How do you think I did ??

Varius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 05:40 AM
WpgPens

Hey Lou, get your laundry and go to bed. You're the GM for crying out loud, no need to get approval from us...

Seriously though, not bad, I wouldn't have even gone half as far as you did to figure this out. It would be funny if it did work out anywhere near to what you put down here though.

One thing you didn't factor (with fair reason as its not necessary for your aim with this) is Lou may want some breathing space under the cap, just in case.

Nice job though, A+ for effort.

WpgPens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 06:20 AM
Belizarius

Send a message via MSN to Belizarius
Nice effort... Tough I don't see White go as he recently resigned a 4 or 5 years deal.

I guess Mogilny and Malakhov will be send to Lowell, and maybe other players...

Belizarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 08:04 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

The Devils no longer have Kozlov and you can minus another $2.5 million from
McGillis, who will either be traded or sent down to Lowell.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 08:36 AM
Guttersnipe
Leave Zubrus Alone!

Kozlov, Langdon and Albelin are UFAs and Klee was signed by Colorado.

Guttersnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 09:30 AM
NJD Jester

Send a message via Yahoo to NJD Jester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varius View Post

Madden - $3,892,566
White - $3,000,000
Brylin - $1,520,000
Marshall - $760,000
You've done well. I agree with whomever said White's staying because of the extension. You might flip White for Rafalski if the Devils are in dire straits.

Don't discount the fact that the team might deal either Mogilny or Malacough along with one of their own picks/prospects.

NJD Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 10:11 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:

This means whatever trades we do, we cannot take on more than $1,043,000 back. I'd try and do:

White for a 2nd-round pick
Brylin for a 3rd-round pick
Marshall for a 5th-round pick
Albelin for late pick
Langdon for late pick
Madden for cheaper C (under the $1,043,000 left) in the same mold (example, for Pahlsson - Ducks wouldnt do this though, but you get the idea).
You could get more for White IMO.

LadyByngJeanRatelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 10:20 AM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

vCash: 118
Quote:
Here's who I see can go:
Madden - $3,892,566
Madden's cap hit is $2,938,000, TSN has it wrong. He had a front loaded contract before the lockout, and with the rollback his cap hit has been decreased.
Quote:
Albelin for late pick
Langdon for late pick
Kozlov and Albelin are both UFA's. I don't remember if Langdon is, but the Devils want no part of him or Kozlov. Albelin probably won't be signed either.

Nice effort, but there are lots of small details involved in it.

AfroThunder396 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 10:42 AM
Darth Milbury

One other issue is that the rules regarding cap hit and injuries are a little murky. I don't think the player comes off the cap for any injury - I think they need to be out of a certain percentage of the season.

Darth Milbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:04 AM
DownFromNJ

Albelin, Kozlov, and Langdon are not under contract.

Personally, I think that a Gomez trade is inevitable. He's got some serious value, and we have centers in the system. He'll probably sign a big contract a year later when he becomes a UFA somewhere else too.

DownFromNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:11 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury View Post
One other issue is that the rules regarding cap hit and injuries are a little murky. I don't think the player comes off the cap for any injury - I think they need to be out of a certain percentage of the season.
I believe it begins at ten games.

Brooklyndevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
Madden's cap hit is $2,938,000, TSN has it wrong. He had a front loaded contract before the lockout, and with the rollback his cap hit has been decreased.

Kozlov and Albelin are both UFA's. I don't remember if Langdon is, but the Devils want no part of him or Kozlov. Albelin probably won't be signed either.

Nice effort, but there are lots of small details involved in it.

Even 2.9 mil is too much for Madden. He is a 3rd line center, albeit an elite one. Most teams 2nd line centers aren't worth 3 mil.
And White's may be too high to move as well when most teams lineups are set.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyndevil View Post
I believe it begins at ten games.
I don't think the player needs to be out for ten games/24 days. I think he needs to be expected to be out that long, and thus placed on the LTI. Could be wrong though.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post
Even 2.9 mil is too much for Madden. He is a 3rd line center, albeit an elite one. Most teams 2nd line centers aren't worth 3 mil.
$2.9M is not too high for Madden. He is well worth it.

White will not be moved.

Old
09-01-2006, 11:56 AM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclops II View Post
Madden's one of those guys where he's worth more to New Jersey than he would be with another team. In terms of ice time, he gets the most out of any center on the team including Gomez.

Brodeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Cyclops II*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Madden's one of those guys where he's worth more to New Jersey than he would be with another team. In terms of ice time, he gets the most out of any center on the team including Gomez.
Agreed. Lou wouldn't have given him 3 mil if he didn't think he contributed more than your usual 3rd line center.
A team like SJ with 2 top centres (Marleau, Thornton) that will command top $$$ couldn't afford Madden at 3 mil even though he would be a perfect fit at 3rd line center and occasional fill in on the top lines. A team that has centers that are locked up cheap and can afford to pay 3m would be smart to go after him if he was available.

Cyclops II* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:28 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownFromNJ View Post
Albelin, Kozlov, and Langdon are not under contract.

Personally, I think that a Gomez trade is inevitable. He's got some serious value, and we have centers in the system. He'll probably sign a big contract a year later when he becomes a UFA somewhere else too.
I have a feeling a Gomez trade is inevitable also. It is to hard to keep Gomez even without the M+M contracts when we move to Newark. I would see him getting traded for a capaple 2nd line center and propsects/picks.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle View Post
You could get more for White IMO.
Except that they can't take any salary back in the trade, and you're not getting a 1st rounder for him. Also, his contract is huge. Not so much in per year, but 5 years at $3m, how many teams are going to want to pay that to White?

Which also raises an interesting possibility. That is, maybe Lou purposely gave White a contract that would reduce interest in him. Why you ask? So he can send him to the AHL and have him make it past waivers. It's a risk, but seeing that the guy was UFA, if he didn't sign him to similar per year dollars, he'd have lost him anyway. Now, if he can send him through waivers to start the year, he's saved 3m off the cap. I'm not sure, but does a player have to go through waivers after the deadline or during the playoffs? If not, he can just bring him right back up when the team needs him the most. Unorthodox, but could be a possibility worth exploring considering the situation. And if Malakhov can play well enough to become tradeable, then the cap room for White becomes available.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:56 PM
Pavel Bure

Good proposal, now to wait and see what Lou does

Pavel Bure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Except that they can't take any salary back in the trade, and you're not getting a 1st rounder for him. Also, his contract is huge. Not so much in per year, but 5 years at $3m, how many teams are going to want to pay that to White?

Which also raises an interesting possibility. That is, maybe Lou purposely gave White a contract that would reduce interest in him. Why you ask? So he can send him to the AHL and have him make it past waivers. It's a risk, but seeing that the guy was UFA, if he didn't sign him to similar per year dollars, he'd have lost him anyway. Now, if he can send him through waivers to start the year, he's saved 3m off the cap. I'm not sure, but does a player have to go through waivers after the deadline or during the playoffs? If not, he can just bring him right back up when the team needs him the most. Unorthodox, but could be a possibility worth exploring considering the situation. And if Malakhov can play well enough to become tradeable, then the cap room for White becomes available.
Um, what? Lou gave White his contract because he is well worth it. I can guarantee you there are no plans of trading White, or waiving him.

Old
09-01-2006, 01:42 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
Um, what? Lou gave White his contract because he is well worth it. I can guarantee you there are no plans of trading White, or waiving him.
Yeah, I agree...White is on our top pairing and 3M is more than fair if you look at what defensemen are signing for.

Also, you say Gionta will sign at a discount for 4.5M! Newspapers have reported that he's looking for a long term deal at 3.5M per. I can see him signing between 3 and 3.5.

Gomez will be traded before White or Madden. Madden at 2.9M is about right. Ask Atlanta if they'd like Madden at 2.9 over Holik at 4.25.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 01:44 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
I have a feeling a Gomez trade is inevitable also. It is to hard to keep Gomez even without the M+M contracts when we move to Newark. I would see him getting traded for a capaple 2nd line center and propsects/picks.
I think one M is the difference between us being over or under the cap at this point if we don't trade Gomez. I don't think Gomez fits into our plans at this point for Newark anyway. Even if we keep him I doubt he's going to resign with us. He'll sign for more than we'd be willing to pay elsewhere.

Old
09-01-2006, 02:20 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I think one M is the difference between us being over or under the cap at this point if we don't trade Gomez. I don't think Gomez fits into our plans at this point for Newark anyway. Even if we keep him I doubt he's going to resign with us. He'll sign for more than we'd be willing to pay elsewhere.
Yea so that's why we should trade him now to at least get something back. It will make us a much weaker team but it is something to look at going into Newark.

TaiMaiShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 02:25 PM
crashlanding

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
Yea so that's why we should trade him now to at least get something back. It will make us a much weaker team but it is something to look at going into Newark.
The only thing that bothers me about that approach is that we only have so many years left of Brodeur and I'd like a shot at the cup in each of those years.

Old
09-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voros19 View Post
You are missing the point entirely. And White is worth 3m/year, as I've already stated, but he's not the caliber player that usually earns 15m contracts while RFA.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote