HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-16-2013, 12:53 AM
Soundwave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post
lol it was the Sun, not the message board.

Edmonton media grew balls today

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:57 AM
Sheikyerbouti

lol that was perfect I hope he sees it

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:00 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 989
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
Lowe has six Stanley cup rings did you know that
Yeah, and how many as a GM for an NHL club.

Big f***ing difference between winning on the ice as a player and winning as a manager. That was a complete cop out of the question he was asked, and it was just a bull**** answer on top of that. Despicable. Never had less respect for Lowe as I do right now. What a complete, egotistical ***hole..

A rookie coach, and now a rookie GM. Just what the doctor ordered...

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:03 AM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
3 years from now ...

I'm here to introduce our new GM ...

Hi guyz ...
No it will be like.

"We started a rebuild in February of -'10 now we are finally ready to take the next step, in our 10 year rebuild' , I would like to announce Scott Howson as the 6th GM in oilers history. "

April 14th 2018

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:06 AM
Sheikyerbouti

another depressing pic courtesy of oilnation

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:08 AM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Preston View Post
Can you do me now?

MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Bets on this happening in the summer?

Krueger fired, MacT becomes head coach again, Burke hired as GM.
Lol, what?

Not a chance in hell. Don't know how people can possibly think this.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Spartan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
I don't think Mac will be a bad GM at all but as I've said before I'm pissed off Lowe got to make the hire. He should be gone along with Tambellini. It bothers me a guy like that, who is responsible for most of what has happened since 2006 is still here firing people around him and not taking any accountability.

His comments today added fuel to the fire.
Well who's accountable for Lowe? Katz. Maybe Katz needs to wake up, realize he's a pharmacy man, not a hockey person and hire someone who knows what they're doing. Because, clearly, Lowe does not know what he's doing. How do I know this? Look at his track record in hockey management. He had 1 good yr. 2006, that's it. Katz thinks this is a record of success? No, this is proof that Katz doesn't know what HE'S doing either.

I wonder how Lindey Ruff would be as a GM. Or if Burke has learned anything about being a good GM from his experience in T.O. Or if bringing in someone completely different would work out instead of picking from the same pool of overused ex-Oilers.

It was enjoyable watching Lowe get his feathers ruffled when he was asked about his choice for GM and why they're still making decisions managing this team when they (Lowe, MacT, and a lesser degree, Howsen) are directly responsible for putting the team in "mess" they're in today. He refuses to be accountable for his actions and will never step down so someone else can take over and turn this organization over.

Further proof MacTavish is not right for the position is him mentioning Lucic's name and Lowe having to tell him, "I don't think you can say that", perhaps because of the possibility of tampering.

Also, at least the media had the fortitude to ask at least one question that would force Lowe to answer honestly. I would have liked to have seen the media ask more tough questions but the media in this city isn't nearly as harsh on the Oilers management as they should be.

Spartan117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Polaris GTFO my comp

vCash: 50
I called this when i first joined so obvious when Mctavish was hired expect a team full of toby Petersons liam Reddox and Marty Sakic's

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
Lol, what?

Not a chance in hell. Don't know how people can possibly think this.
This is exactly the type of WTF move that the Oilers would make.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 AM
harpoon
FOB

At last ... at long last ... the dumbest man in hockey has been fired.
I was losing faith that this day would ever come.
It hardly even matters who was hired to replace him because nobody and I mean nobody could be worse than Tamby.
MacT is a smart guy ... Howson I'm less sold on because he had the Jackets in the lotto for most of his tenure in Columbus, but whatever.
I'm am so ****ing delighted that Tamby is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
That was blatant. It's not like people are twisting his words or anything, it was blatant. You do sound bias, because that was obvious. Incredibly arrogant and down right disrespectful from the president of his hockey club.
Yes. its exactly like people are twisting his words. I wonder if you even listened to the press conference. Here's what Lowe said .... "we have two types of fans. We have paying customers and we have fans that watch the games that we still care about but certainly people that go to the games and support us ... we spend a lot of time talking to them and delivering our message".

The salient point there (and one that shockingly seems to have escaped the notice of everyone whining in the first thread) is that Lowe was speaking to a question about what the organization was going to say to the fans who question the guys who made the mess in the first place now being tasked with cleaning it up.

He was making a distinction between the team's ability to explain themselves to ticket holders (which he obviously feels they are doing a good job of) and non-ticket holders (who are necessarily further out of the loop).

For people to come on this board crying about being a "seventh tier fan" is just sad. And pathetic. And every bit as self-important as the comments they are calling Lowe out for making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
It's a business first and foremost, and you're absolutely wrong on this. It's the people who support by buying tickets and merchandise that allow us to have a team in the first place. Those are the people who pay the bills and salaries of everyone involved in the org. To say otherwise is ignorance - both of the basic business model, and the reality of the situation.

Lowe didn't say anything controversial...borderline cold maybe, but definitely realistic.
While this is all true, Lowe was not speaking to which fans pay the most or which fans are more important to him. He was answering a question about how he was going to justify firing/hirings to fans who think the guys who just got hired made the mess in the first place. In that context the distinction he draws is perfectly reasonable.

I will say that Lowe should not be the guy holding the mike when important announcements need to be made. He's a terrible public speaker - bested in that department only by Tamby. He bumbled his way through that whole press conference and could barely even read the scripted part of it correctly. Absolutely sounded like an ass when he brought up his SC rings.

Still, its a great day to be an Oiler fan.
See ya Tamby - and thanks for nothing.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:48 AM
major major

Jackets fan dropping in here. I'm not going to comment on the Lowe-MacT-Howson good old boys theme, I just want to say Edmonton seems to need the kind of players that Howson deftly acquired in recent years. Letestu, Foligno, Bobrovsky, etc... were acquired for not very much, the return for Nash has been huge, and Howson's been very good at finding the late round gems in the draft.

Most of the Jacket fans on these boards will admit to liking most of his moves despite the team's record. You should feel comforted to have him in an advisory role, especially with MacT talking about the need to make bold moves.

Last edited by major major: 04-16-2013 at 01:59 AM.
major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:50 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Jackets fan dropping in here. I'm not going to comment on the Lowe-MacT-Howson good old boys theme, I just want to say Edmonton seems to need the kind of players that Howson deftly acquired in recent years. Letestu, Foligno, Bobrovsky, etc... were acquired for not very much, the return for Nash has been huge, and Howson's been very good at finding the late round gems in the draft.

Most of the Jacket fans on these boards will admit to liking most of his moves despite the team's record. You should feel comforted to have him in an advisory role, especially with MacT talking about the need to make bold moves (read: trade one or more of the young guns).
He's not talking about moving one of the young guns.

He said many times that he would be very reluctant to move any of them.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Gabriel6676

Is anyone else concerned that we hired a person wi no experience to be a gm? And if he is such a great hockey mind why are we the only NHL team to give him a job?

Gabriel6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:55 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:

Most of the Jacket fans on these boards will admit to liking most of his moves despite the team's record. You should feel comforted to have him in an advisory role, especially with MacT talking about the need to make bold moves (read: trade one or more of the young guns).
He even said he isn't planning on moving the young guns. I think by bold, he meant trading Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi etc. I'm praying that he buys out Smyth and convinces him to retire. That would be a bold move for management.

Ice Whole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:57 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:

Thanks for the comment. I agree. I've been looking forward to seeing who we pick with him now. If we can pull off a 2nd half in this years draft like you guys had in 08, I'll be thrilled

04-16-2013, 01:58 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
He even said he isn't planning on moving the young guns. I think by bold, he meant trading Hemsky, Gagner, Paajarvi etc. I'm praying that he buys out Smyth and convinces him to retire. That would be a bold move for management.
Whoops. Missed that.

major major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel6676 View Post
Is anyone else concerned that we hired a person wi no experience to be a gm? And if he is such a great hockey mind why are we the only NHL team to give him a job?
Honestly, I hated the move at first but will wait and see what Mact does before judging him because he did say all the right things in his press conference. I just want to see if he actually does make moves to help this team significantly. As for your question, no idea. Rookie coach doesn't seem to be working out too well for us, lets hope MacT does well. I'm glad we have Howson though. He did a good job in Columbus IMO. At the very least, he will hopefully help MacT a bit.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:04 AM
#ualberta

On another note
Did you notice Lowe calling the Pronger trade the greatest trade in oilers history while defending himself

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
On another note
Did you notice Lowe calling the Pronger trade the greatest trade in oilers history while defending himself
the acquisition of Pronger was a pretty good one.

Brewer was decent, but limited. Woychowski was a borderline bust, and Lynch's career was already off the rails due to injury.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:15 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

Brewer was decent, but limited. Woychowski was a borderline bust, and Lynch's career was already off the rails due to injury.
Agreed. That was a great trade. If only we can pull something like that off again...

Old
04-16-2013, 02:20 AM
#ualberta

I'm not saying it wasn't a big trade
It was a huge oilers trade
But it had nothing to do with what was going on today and it was funny he brought it up today
It's a move he made a long time ago and it was as if he was justifying his current position with the team

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:38 AM
Ice Whole

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
I'm not saying it wasn't a big trade
It was a huge oilers trade
But it had nothing to do with what was going on today and it was funny he brought it up today
It's a move he made a long time ago and it was as if he was justifying his current position with the team
Agreed. I still dont understand why he was bringing up the past. Talking about his cup rings, the Pronger trade,the 06 cup run.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:41 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Agreed. I still dont understand why he was bringing up the past. Talking about his cup rings, the Pronger trade,the 06 cup run.
What else does he have to defend himself with?

He felt he was under attack, and he most certainly hasn't done anything positive with his job since the 06 playoffs.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:32 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

Jeff Woywitka.

And yes, there were a lot of good trades that season that culminated in a cinderella playoff run. Peca for York, Salmelainen for Spacek, Roloson, Samsonov...

USC Trojans is offline   Reply With Quote