HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Is the 2001 Devils the best team to not win the Cup?

Old
04-15-2013, 09:01 PM
ChiTownPhilly

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ChiTownPhilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme King View Post
The 1971 Bruins, 1986 Oilers and 1993 Penguins are the three best teams I have seen that did not win the Stanley Cup.

If I had to pick between the three, the '86 Oilers would probably be the best team I saw not to win it.
I don't see it that way. In brief---

85-86 Oilers: W=56, L=17, T=7... goal differential: +116 (426 for, 312 against)

70-71 Bruins: W=57, L=14, T=7... goal differential: +192 (399 for, 207 against).

A season-long goal differential of +192 is absolutely ridiculous, and might even be historically unprecedented.

ChiTownPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:44 AM
Hobnobs
Pinko

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam* View Post
It's like your world is painted in RED -o-o- Wings.

Anyhow, you skipped right over 1987 Vezina winning Ronnie Hextall whom also won the Conn Smythe for those playoffs on the losing team no less. Goaltending is the most important thing in the playoffs and Vernon or Osgood can not touch Hextall's jock.

You also skipped around one of the best power forwards to ever play in Rick Tocchet who played behind monster Tim Kerr, a young Scott Mellenby and Dave Brown. Why?

For someone that loves defense and hails Ferorov as a god, why would you forget about Dave Poulin? Is it because Dave Poulin's defense was on par defensively with Fedorov?

Basically, this tough as nails Flyers team wins this series while putting a softer European-centric team into the hospital. The Wings have no answer for the Flyers toughness, if Dave Brown isn't knocking heads around, than Tocchet, Kerrr and Mellanby were.

While Howe and McCrimmon played most of the minutes, almost 30 each game, Crossman, Marsh and Samuelsson were no slouches. They are much better than old Ramsey, Rouse and Bergervin. I think I would give the overall to the Wings, that's a tough d-corp they had back then but it's close.

So

Goaltending Wings < Flyers
Forwards Wings < Flyers
Defense Wings = Flyers

Flyers win.

Yea we all know that toughness was the way to counter the Wings

Its not close at all.

Defense
Red Wings of 96 had four defensemen that was better/equal or near your two best. Coffey, Lidström, Konstantinov and Fetisov. The rest of the Flyers and Wings D is a wash.

Top-6
On the forward side. Yzerman, Fedorov, Ciccarelli, Primeau, Kozlov and Larionov vs. Kerr, Propp, Eklund, Tocchet, Zezel and Poulin. Definite advantage for the Wings.

Bottom-6 and spares

Lets see, Greg Johnson, Bob Errey, Doug Brown, Tim Taylor, Martin Lapointe, Draper, McCarty and Maltby

vs.

Murray Craven, Mellanby, Smith, Sinisalo, Sutter, Carson and Brown.

This is a bit closer but Red Wings depth gives the the advantage.

Goalies

Hextall was better than Osgood no doubt.

Hobnobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:54 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Just to toss out a team that might not rank up near the top, but deserves a bit of consideration imo, is the '88/89 Habs. Mats Naslund appeared recently on Swedish TV echoing Patrick Roy in saying that the '89 Habs were much better than the '86 team that won the Cup. Between that roster, the 115 points they put up in the standings that year, and the fact that they actually made it to the Cup Final (so, perhaps the "best team not to win it that year, at least"), I think it's a worthy inclusion.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote