HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton (skated; passed concussion test Feb. 1; injured reserve, Jan. 26)

Old
04-15-2013, 09:46 AM
BrindamoursNose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
At the time of his injury, he showed no signs of slowing down. He just dragged us to the finals as well. He could have played another 3 or so years
Agreed

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:36 AM
dats81

Quote:
You still can't fault holmgren because of a freak injury.

How many players' careers end like his did?
How many players stay around as long as N. Lidström?

Shelf life of a defenseman normally comes to an end somewhere around 36 - 37.
His contract was cap circumvention from the beginning.

I liked the acquisition at the time the deal went down, I have to admit. But mostly because I thought we would have won a cup by now.
Without Pronger we could be on whole different path right now - Richards and Carter would probably be still part of this team whereas Voracek, Couts, Simmonds, Schenn, Cousins would not be Flyers property. So it's impossible to tell if it was such a bad deal in hingsight. The price for Prongers rights was bad though.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:30 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
At the time of his injury, he showed no signs of slowing down. He just dragged us to the finals as well. He could have played another 3 or so years
I disagree with this...he was starting to wear down. He even lamented prior to the fluke eye injury that he wasn't used to the injuries he was starting to experience which included a bum knee that affected him in the finals and then his back surgery...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
His body was breaking down a year prior. It's a fools bet to rely on a player his age to play another 3 years. The vast majority of players are out of the league by 38.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:30 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
I disagree with this...he was starting to wear down. He even lamented prior to the fluke eye injury that he wasn't used to the injuries he was starting to experience which included a bum knee that affected him in the finals and then his back surgery...
Yep. Didn't he have back and knee issues all within a year or so?
He was clearly starting to look his age more and more out there skating as well.

dats81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:20 AM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I know we all want a D-man if we trade Couts (who I would love to see him still be here), but if it was let's say, for Bobby Ryan, I'd trade Couts. Draft Jones/Nurse (hopefully Jones so he can play right away) and use Ryan to make up for the fact we didn't draft a forward. Let Laughton center the 3rd line.

Just a thought.
I'm sorry, but you think Jones is going to play right away (or that it's even smart to play him right away)? Can you please give me the name of the last 18 year old defenseman that was successful their rookie year, and is continuing (or continued) to build on that success?

Reduxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxs View Post
I'm sorry, but you think Jones is going to play right away (or that it's even smart to play him right away)? Can you please give me the name of the last 18 year old defenseman that was successful their rookie year, and is continuing (or continued) to build on that success?
Doughty.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:38 AM
Krishna

I'd say Schenn counts as well

Great rookie season
sophmore slump
great season
Terrible toronto team
Back to greatness

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dats81 View Post
How many players stay around as long as N. Lidström?

Shelf life of a defenseman normally comes to an end somewhere around 36 - 37.
His contract was cap circumvention from the beginning.

I liked the acquisition at the time the deal went down, I have to admit. But mostly because I thought we would have won a cup by now.
Without Pronger we could be on whole different path right now - Richards and Carter would probably be still part of this team whereas Voracek, Couts, Simmonds, Schenn, Cousins would not be Flyers property. So it's impossible to tell if it was such a bad deal in hingsight. The price for Prongers rights was bad though.
I think when you are talking about HOF defenseman, signing them into their later years is not really anythign shocking. Scott Stevens played until he was 40. Lidstrom you mentioned. Ray Borque. Al MacInnis. These types of guys are rare, just like a defnseman playing into his 40s. But when you are dealing with a HOF player the fact that at the end of his career he will be 40 or 41 (or however old Pronger is going to be) should not be a deterrent (at least not a big one). If you are talking about just a good defenseman like maybe a Timonen, who I don't think is a HOFer, yes signing him into his 40s on anything other than a one-year deal is probably not the smartest thing to do. Signing a HOFer on a long term deal that ends in his 40s, I have no problem with.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:

Great rookie season
sophmore slump
great season
Terrible toronto team
Back to greatness
That was a crazy awesome first round that year for D.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
Reduxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Doughty.
Lol? -17 his rookie year with 27 points, and he still has yet to reach his full potential.

And Schenn has not been great. Good this year yes, but he's had some terrible times as well. He still hasn't reached his potential and it's year number five. That's typical for defensemen, even guys like Pronger.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:28 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Lol? -17 his rookie year with 27 points, and he still has yet to reach his full potential.

And Schenn has not been great. Good this year yes, but he's had some terrible times as well. He still hasn't reached his potential and it's year number five. That's typical for defensemen, even guys like Pronger.
Plus/minus is a pretty useless stat and I would say 27 points in this era by an 18 year old rookie defensemen is pretty damn good.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
A) Go back and watch Doughty's rookie season, then come back to me. You didn't ask for an All-Star. Yeah, he was a -17. So was Anze Kopitar. He played great that season - much better than a lot of people were expecting him to.
B) Well, duh. He's 23 years old. You said, and I quote: "is continuing (or continued) to build on that success?". And that's what he did, and still is.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Reduxs

I guess we all have varying degrees of what success means. But I don't consider a -17 with a negative Corsi Rel/Corsi On to be successful. I consider winning the Calder, or at least being nominated/in the conversation for it successful. If Jones were to put up those numbers his rookie year in Philadelphia people would be clamoring about how big of a bust he is. Those claims would of course be unjustified, but look at how a lot of Philly fans are now reacting to Couturier for having a sophomore slump.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:55 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
I guess we all have varying degrees of what success means. But I don't consider a -17 with a negative Corsi Rel/Corsi On to be successful. I consider winning the Calder, or at least being nominated/in the conversation for it successful. If Jones were to put up those numbers his rookie year in Philadelphia people would be clamoring about how big of a bust he is. Those claims would of course be unjustified, but look at how a lot of Philly fans are now reacting to Couturier for having a sophomore slump.
That LA team also finish in the bottom five that year. This Flyers team is a lot better than that team was.

FLYERSFAN18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:03 PM
GTopCheese

Can we bring him up as a defenseman?

GTopCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:11 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
I highly doubt that considering we have no other defensemen on this roster capable of putting up those type of offensive numbers except Timonen.

Maybe the radio callers would think that but I doubt many on these boards would be thinking that.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:59 PM
Reduxs

Meszy put up a +30 with 32 points in his last full healthy season, playing mostly with Sean O'Donnell and limited PP time. Obviously Seth Jones has a much higher upside than Meszaros, but if we're expecting him to come up next year or the year after and be a consistent contributor I think that's asking a bit much.

Old
04-16-2013, 07:12 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Meszy put up a +30 with 32 points in his last full healthy season, playing mostly with Sean O'Donnell and limited PP time. Obviously Seth Jones has a much higher upside than Meszaros, but if we're expecting him to come up next year or the year after and be a consistent contributor I think that's asking a bit much.
That was two years ago. Mez can't even stay healthy now and the injuries are taking its toll on him.

I don't think many are expecting Jones to give you #1 defensemen numbers right away. However I still expect him to give you some offense on the backend and about 18 minutes a night.

Old
04-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Prongo
Beer

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666373

Quote:
Flyers Director of Player Development Ian Laperriere traveled to both Ontario and Quebec recently to watch some playoff games in two of the Canadian junior leagues.

While there he spoke to several scouts from other teams, and too a man they all said the same thing.

“They told me, ‘You have the best player in the OHL,’” Laperriere said. “It’s always good to hear that – especially from guys from other organizations.”

And the player they were talking about is a player Flyers fans got to see a little bit of this season, but should expect to see a lot more of in the future:

Scott Laughton.
Quote:
Laperriere said the most impressive change in Laughton’s game from the time he had him in development camp last summer to where he was in the OHL playoffs was his speed.

“Every kid at that age you hope the speed picks up,” Laperriere said. “And in the playoffs the kid was flying. He was in a different league. He was impressive. He was a fast kid here both in the development camp and when he played with the Flyers, but in the OHL playoffs he had a gear on everybody.”

Laughton is wrapping up his season playing with the Adirondack Phantoms. He has played three games so far and has a goal and two assists – his first professional hockey points.

After the three games this weekend that will close out the Phantoms season, Laughton is going to head home to Oakville, Ontario and train hard for the months of May and June before coming back to Philadelphia in July for another development camp with Laperriere.

From there, he plans to work out with the Flyers players throughout the month of August with the intention of making the big club permanently next Fall.

“I don’t know if I have expectations but I always want to be with the big team,” Laughton said. “Its always been my dream and I’m going to do anything I can and workout every day.
Good write up on Mr Laughton here. Other teams scouts giving him high praise!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Laughton is going to be fun as hell to watch. I really, REALLY hope we don't trade him.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:49 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

Great rookie season
sophmore slump
great season
Terrible toronto team
Back to greatness
Great minds think alike!

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 11:55 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

[QUOTE=CanuckistanFlyerfan;63928047]Basically FOUR 1st round picks for 140 games? We gave up more for him than Anaheim did when he was 3 years younger.
I hated the trade at the time. Look it up. But Chris changed my mind for me with not only his play but what he brought to the room. Just a friggin shame he got hurt. That set the team back, but the are on the right track.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Laughton is going to be fun as hell to watch. I really, REALLY hope we don't trade him.
I do not see that at all. This kid is well thought of in the organization and they believe that he will be a big part of the club's future. When you hear other team's scouts say you have the best player in the OHL that gets me pumped up to. Cannot wait to see this young man on the team.

Old
04-18-2013, 12:39 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=666373

Good write up on Mr Laughton here. Other teams scouts giving him high praise!
That's awesome. Two years in a row I was disappointed with the pick initially (I wanted Hamilton over Couturier, and Maata over Laughton) and two years in a row I have been happy after seeing how things turned out.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote