HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #10

Closed Thread

Old
04-14-2013, 12:58 PM
Ryker

vCash: 500
I've been thinking about this a lot lately, but if we grossly divide the team into three parts, offense, defense and goaltending, then as much as Bryz has been underperforming, I'd say it'd be completely valid to argue for goaltending being the strongest of the three this year. I'm not saying this is necessarily true, but looking back at the season and how the entire team has performed, I don't see how the other two components were living up to the expectations better.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
The statistics indicate the defense has many redeeming values, whereas the goaltending has none. Aside from the pp, the offense is in that dinghy as well.

04-14-2013, 01:14 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Mason has looked pretty good. I think we carry both next year, start Bryz a majority of the games and see what happens. If Mason puts up the same or better numbers, amnesty Bryzgalov and use that money on another area. A good even strength forward and a PMD are of the utmost importance.

04-14-2013, 01:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I think Mason gets somewhere around 25 games next year maybe even more depending on Bryz's performance.

Old
04-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Mason has looked pretty good. I think we carry both next year, start Bryz a majority of the games and see what happens. If Mason puts up the same or better numbers, amnesty Bryzgalov and use that money on another area. A good even strength forward and a PMD are of the utmost importance.
Good even strength forward is a little broad, I want a sniper who can shoot the puck. Someone to possibly compliment Giroux.

Someone like.... Bobby Ryan

Old
04-14-2013, 01:23 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post
Good even strength forward is a little broad, I want a sniper who can shoot the puck. Someone to possibly compliment Giroux.

Right. Should've said that! I want someone that can shoot. I am really jealous of the Canes for getting a revamped Semin. He has looked awesome.

Old
04-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Right. Should've said that! I want someone that can shoot. I am really jealous of the Canes for getting a revamped Semin. He has looked awesome.
I wanted the flyers to give Semin a contract and everyone here was angry

04-14-2013, 02:19 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniped View Post

this is a definite need. the lines are a mess and giroux is not being maxed out without a sniper. its all about availability and money tho. we have so many needs, mostly on defense and the wing but we also need money to do it. i really do think its time for a new coach tho too. we have to start somewhere and worrying about goaltending as a major issue for next season just ignores the real problems we've had all year. nobody likes bryzgalov's contract and that will be dealt with but every year is its own chance to win. we have to take each year for what it is. next year is one more opportunity to win with bryzgalov in net but it won't happen without other changes. that said, if there is a way to get a good young goalie that would be someone legitimate to group in with our young core then i don't think there's anyway we don't do it. but the team as it is will not be successful no matter who it is.

Old
04-14-2013, 07:47 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The statistics indicate the defense has many redeeming values, whereas the goaltending has none. Aside from the pp, the offense is in that dinghy as well.
which defensive statistics? Shots allowed?

Show me stats on blown assigments, poor rotations, too many men on the ice penalties, odd man chances, shots allowed between the face off dots and id wager we are close to the league lead.

I'm not that concerned with our defensemen as i am with a commitment to team defense.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:20 PM
Tyler Durden

Who do you think sees more starts this week? Games on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat? Bryzgalov 3 games and S.Mason 1 game? What do you think?

Last edited by Tyler Durden: 04-14-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old
04-14-2013, 08:25 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Who do you think sees more starts this week? Games on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat? Bryzgalov 3 games and S.Mason 2 game? What do you think?
Bryz, Mason, Bryz, Mason, Bryz IMO. With Lavi though who knows.

Old
04-14-2013, 08:41 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
Who do you think sees more starts this week? Games on Mon, Tues, Thurs, Sat? Bryzgalov 3 games and S.Mason 2 game? What do you think?
Does it even matter anymore? The team went into full tank mode following the OTT loss.

I couldn't even stand watching that garbage on Sat. Neither team trying at all. Was pathetic.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:06 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Team View Post
Well he sure wasn't nearly as bad.

This season: .444 shootout %
Last season: .480 shootout %

10-11: .656
09-10: .726
08-09: .500
07-08: .692
06-07: .538

So, I guess the crappy flyers defense caused him to suck in the shootouts too eh?
Hmm, I was just watching last night's highlights, remember this post, and looked up Bob's stats, just to see how he has fared in his three years in the NHL:

12-13: .667 (8/12)
11-12: .200 (1/5)
10-11: .273 (3/11)

It's clearly a small sample size and a young goalie has room for growth, but fun times at the Wells Fargo Center, nonetheless

Old
04-14-2013, 09:47 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Does it even matter anymore? The team went into full tank mode following the OTT loss.

I couldn't even stand watching that garbage on Sat. Neither team trying at all. Was pathetic.
i m hoping they call up Boosh tp play and not take a chance on winning by accident.

Old
04-14-2013, 09:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
which defensive statistics? Shots allowed?

Show me stats on blown assigments, poor rotations, too many men on the ice penalties, odd man chances, shots allowed between the face off dots and id wager we are close to the league lead.

I'm not that concerned with our defensemen as i am with a commitment to team defense.
I'm on my phone so i can't make an essay summarizing the many points made by several posters.

In the meantime, can you show there is zero correlation between shot quality and ***** allowed? I'll wager you can't, since the stats gurus have seemingly arrived at the consensus that there is indeed a correlation. On top of that, the pk has been pretty good, while bryzs situational stats are ranked poorly. Last tine i normalized the flyers number of pks, it did little to improve GA.

THERE s also the matter of those awful defensive teams who havees better goalies. It all points to bryzes. It points to bryz being the bigger issue

Old
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
King Fish

Any goalies worth taking in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Old
04-15-2013, 01:37 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Hmm, I was just watching last night's highlights, remember this post, and looked up Bob's stats, just to see how he has fared in his three years in the NHL:

12-13: .667 (8/12)
11-12: .200 (1/5)
10-11: .273 (3/11)

It's clearly a small sample size and a young goalie has room for growth, but fun times at the Wells Fargo Center, nonetheless
Maybe the nets are slightly bigger at your arena.

Nobody's ever noticed.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:24 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Mason's goal: Become Flyers' starting goalie

Funny ..Bob said the same thing and got shipped out and now Mason is shipped in to challenge Bryz. The wonderful bipolar world of Flyer land

Quote:
MONTREAL – Steve Mason isn’t getting the wins, but the Flyers’ new goaltender is doing practically everything else right.

That’s a relief – and not just because he wants to make a good early impression. It’s because Mason wants to be the Flyers’ starting goalie, and he wants it soon.

“That's definitely my goal,” Mason said after the Flyers’ 1-0 loss in Buffalo. “No goaltender should be satisfied being a No. 2 in this league, and I most certainly am not. It's my goal for the rest of the season to go into the summer time and towards the start of next year is become a No. 1 goaltender again.”

Mason has been in net for the Flyers three times now – two full games and the third period of the team’s April 6 loss to the Winnipeg Jets – and has yet to take part in a victory.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...tarting-goalie

Here is Bry-ZZZZZZ's response....

Old
04-15-2013, 08:30 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Funny ..Bob said the same thing and got shipped out and now Mason is shipped in to challenge Bryz. The wonderful bipolar world of Flyer land.
Holmgren changes direction more times than the moon changes phases. Really should have handled the Bob situation better.

Old
04-15-2013, 08:46 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Funny ..Bob said the same thing and got shipped out and now Mason is shipped in to challenge Bryz. The wonderful bipolar world of Flyer land

Here is Bry-ZZZZZZ's response....

That's a little bit of comparing apple to oranges. The new CBA happened between Bob and Mason.

It is pretty much a writing on the wall now,that regardless of Bryz's play, his contract is unsustainable under new cap and will be bought out either this Summer or next. Therefore, Mason has been auditing for a starter and has a fair shot at it; where Bob's prospects to do so were almost non existant.

I have liked Bob, and trully wish that FO had made a different decision with our #1, but it's all water under the bridge now.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:01 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Up-most amazement that he was in the game enough to skate out to his fallen teammate.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:05 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
Up-most amazement that he was in the game enough to skate out to his fallen teammate.
Thought he played solid despite a flukey first goal. I'm sure he's not as big a jerk as everyone makes him out to be, he looked pretty concerned for Huskins.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:13 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
yes but strong defense creates offense. The reason why our offense is struggling so much is because we suck defensively

Old
04-16-2013, 09:30 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
yes but strong defense creates offense. The reason why our offense is struggling so much is because we suck defensively
It's more that we have no defensemen that can generate offense outside of Timonen. The defensive part of our blueline works just fine.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Thought he played solid despite a flukey first goal. I'm sure he's not as big a jerk as everyone makes him out to be, he looked pretty concerned for Huskins.
I don't think any of the three were what I'd consider to be unstoppable or "good" goals.

Closed Thread