HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

What's Your Pre-Game Rituals or Superstitions?

Old
03-25-2013, 04:56 PM
FlowNoMo
GO MARLIES!!!

vCash: 500
I wax my stick up before I leave the house. That's about it.

FlowNoMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:05 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Tape my stick at the house, leave 1 hr before the game in order to show up 45 minutes before(only because I ride with the goalie who has a ridiculous 40 minutes pre-game ritual, oh and he sucks).

Banana on the ride over, then a long cut(usually Grizz mint) and drink half of the 32 OZ cucumber Gatorade. Mix the rest of my Gatorade in my water bottle with water.

Get dressed, usually skates on then pee and then continue, but I always remember the GWG pouch. Pee(again on most days/nights) and get rid of pouch.

Rinse my mouthguard with the aforementioned Gatorade/water mixture. Chew on it excessively during warmups to look like a baws.

Stretch before I do any stickwork/shooting. I rarely shoot, outside of if no one is shooting to get the goalie warm(then I simply DS&C) , and I prefer to simply showoff/throw dirty sauce pregame to sike out the opponent.

Always the last one to leave the ice/rink, allegedly to "get the pucks", but in reality I want everyone to look at me and to ensure I'm out there on the first shift.

ALWAYS shake the refs hand pre-game, and usually have something chirpy to say about the refs gear for fun(and so he'll let me get away with ****).

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 03-28-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:27 PM
JR97

Routine is usually this:

text from team mates- "dude, you gonna show? we're short already"
If I don't get the text then phone call from team mates - "dude, you awake? you gonna show? we're short!"

If I'm awake, I finish the beer in my hand, curse myself for losing the time, round up my gear usually forgetting something. and speed to the rink and hopefully don't have to wait too long at the door for a whistle. If I'm really good I can catch most of the 1st.

j/k. That's not really me but is probably 1/2 the gd team.

I have set routines but no superstitions. Nothing ground breaking, but I plan out the day's meals from breakfast to dinner depending on game time. Hydrate, avoid caffeine throughout the day, figure out a nap if we have the late game, and tap/wax sticks if necessary. Fill my bottle for the drive and a coffee and I try to arrive no less than 30 min. early. I'm a slow but methodical dresser. I also hate missing or getting a short warm up.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:29 PM
SCritical

I like new tape on my stick. I also talk to myself because I can get nervous before games sometimes

SCritical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Garrity View Post
Tape my stick at the house, leave 1 hr before the game in order to show up 45 minutes before(only because I ride with the goalie who has a ridiculous 40 minutes pre-game ritual, oh and he sucks).

Banana on the ride over, then a long cut(usually Grizz mint) and drink half of the 32 OZ cucumber Gatorade. Mix the rest of my Gatorade in my water bottle with water.

Get dressed, usually skates on then pee and then continue, but I always remember the GWG pouch. Pee(again on most days/nights) and get rid of pouch.

Rinse my mouthguard with the aforementioned Gatorade/water mixture. Chew on it excessively during warmups to look like a baws.

Stretch before I do any stickwork/shooting. I rarely shoot, outside of if no one is shooting to get the goalie warm(then I simply DS&C) , and I prefer to simply showoff/throw dirty sauce pregame to sike out the opponent.

Always the last one to leave the ice/rink, allegedly to "get the pucks", but in reality I want everyone to look at me and to ensure I'm out there on the first shift.

ALWAYS shake the refs hand pre-game, and usually have something chirpy to say about the refs gear for fun(and so he'll let me get away with ****).
I know you're probably joking but I dislike this type of person.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 01:27 PM
JC Numminen
Welcome to the club!

vCash: 59
Red gatoraide, all equipment goes on right to left, I even have my socks marked for each leg.

JC Numminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 02:11 PM
esidebill

Don't have any rituals. Is putting on your cup before you get to the rink weird?

esidebill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:50 PM
JR97

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
Don't have any rituals. Is putting on your cup before you get to the rink weird?
dude. you've got some issues.

JR97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 03:55 PM
iamjs
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vipassana View Post
Always tie my right skate before my left. ALWAYS.

Love hearing everyones supersitions.
I do the same, which has now extended to putting my shoes on right side first and taking left shoe off first.

Equipment also goes on right side first and is removed left side first with helmet not going on until we're ready to leave the locker room.

iamjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
I know you're probably joking but I dislike this type of person.
Mostly joking, the mouth guard chewing is because it always falls out of my glove. I do rarely shoot and mostly pass to teammates, but that's cuz I rarely shoot in games too.Lastly, I am usually the last one on the ice/rink, but it literally is to collect the pucks because most are mine.

Last edited by Sean Garrity: 03-28-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by esidebill View Post
I used to do that when I had Shock Doctor pants. It's a pain to get the cup in so I would just throw them on beforehand.

With my WSI I don't have to.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:18 PM
Fire Dumboer

I have absolutely none.

Fire Dumboer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM
mistrhanky

Eat two hours before the game. 2 scrambled eggs with potato hash. Put on under gear(shirt, long shock doctor pants with jock). Leave for rink so I get there 35 minutes before the game. Put headphones on with a select music list(I like to walk through the front doors with Welcome Home by Cambria. Drop my gear in the same place in the locker room, leave and go stretch for about 15 mins. Come back to locker room, then take out earphones and dress out. Everything after that is freestyle. We only get a 5 minute warmup so a few stop/starts, sprints, and transition/cuts is all I have time for.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:24 PM
ArcataShark
Self/EnTitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Only thing I can think of is that I tie my left skate first. I always prefer to have some sort of warm-up... meaning wrist shots/snap shots on either the empty net or our goalie... but I don't always have time and sometimes the refs cut the warm-up short because our games can start pretty late.

Definitely don't stretch... ever. I've actually read that it makes you MORE likely to get injured? Not sure if this is true, though.
I'm not a doctor, but I've had coaches tell me to warm up BEFORE you stretch. Once warmed up, stretching will usually help a lot more then not.

ArcataShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 03:49 PM
mistrhanky

It entirely depends on what kind of stretching you do. You don't want to do static stretching(Stretch and hold type stuff). That is like lifting in terms of how your muscles react. If you stretch like that, and then rest, then do more exercise it can lead to muscle pulls. And of course, hockey is a completely stop and start kind of game with bench rests in between.

Dynamic stretching however is just fine. Stretches with repeatable motion. Deep knee bends, plyo, lateral skaters, lunges, etc. Those can help warm and loosen up the joints. I find if I don't do those it takes me 10 minutes or so to feel like I am flexible out there(I am old, it takes longer to get the motor running). When I don't have a chance to stretch, it really bothers me. 40+ years of having that drummed into your head probably has something to do with that.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:48 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
It entirely depends on what kind of stretching you do. You don't want to do static stretching(Stretch and hold type stuff). That is like lifting in terms of how your muscles react. If you stretch like that, and then rest, then do more exercise it can lead to muscle pulls. And of course, hockey is a completely stop and start kind of game with bench rests in between.

Dynamic stretching however is just fine. Stretches with repeatable motion. Deep knee bends, plyo, lateral skaters, lunges, etc. Those can help warm and loosen up the joints. I find if I don't do those it takes me 10 minutes or so to feel like I am flexible out there(I am old, it takes longer to get the motor running). When I don't have a chance to stretch, it really bothers me. 40+ years of having that drummed into your head probably has something to do with that.
Ah make sense... yeah that's probably what I read.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 07:31 AM
JayQueensNY88*

I usually hang out with a couple birds I have then keep them in my locker while I play,I paint outside of the lock with red paint with the numbers88 on it.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:41 AM
RockemSockemProberts
#FireHolland

Eat
Nap
Get to the rink and put my gear where I always sit to get ready
Pre-game dump
Put my gear on thusly:
cup/jock
socks
shin pads/shin sleeves
garter/hockey socks
pants
skates
shoulder pads
elbow pads
sweater
wrist guards
mouth guard (preceded by a mouthful of water)
helmet
gloves
(All gear is put on right-left, right-left except wrist guards and gloves, which vary.)
Skate around the rink once or twice then tighten my skates

RockemSockemProberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
BmxHockey

Jut curious about the stretching on the ice, what does that do and how does it pertain to performance? You guys should be doing a dynamic warm up 30min prior. Stretching actual decreases athletic performance (they're plenty of studies-look it up) Which is why I don't get the pros (who have pro s&c coaches to advise) stretching during their warm ups? Must be a culture thing.

Static stretching actually causes a paralysis of the muscle fibers if you will not allowing them to contract optimally when called upon. Otherwise, the dynamic movements get blood flow and also wake the muscle from a neurological component. This is that jump that you want for that first shift.

BmxHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Oh_so_saad

fart in my gloves to make sure i dont stick handle all chitty

Oh_so_saad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 04:14 AM
BADoglick

I usually eat a decent lunch with some solid protein way before the game. Then a lighter dinner with some carbs. I often stop at Subway or Panera on the way, for like a 6 inch hoagie or half sandwich and soup. Just something that's going to keep my blood sugar up, give me some energy, and not weigh me down so much. When I pull off the main roads into the back roads about 10 minutes away from the rink, I smoke a bowl or two to settle my stomach, relax my nerves, make me forget about the troubles of the day, and focus on having fun playing hockey.

I know there's plenty of people who might have a problem with that...but I get all scatter brained and think about everything but hockey if I don't. My skin also gets hot and I get tired more easily, and I tend to leave feeling sick to the stomach and with a migraine. I'm epileptic, so it's always been that way when I've exerted myself physically. But oddly enough, smoking's allowed me to get back into playing sports after I quit during high school.

BADoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 03:08 PM
Funkmarkoflex

1hr before game - Stickhandle a few minutes while listening to metal, visualizing shots
40 mins beforegame - Arrive at the rink, watch the game before mine, chat with other players
30 mins before game - Start dressing, only superstition is right skate before left one
Warm up - Few minutes skating and stretching upper body, afterwards I strech legs and back. Then, I take a few low shots on the keeper and stickhandle.

If possible, I love being on the ice for the puck drop.

Funkmarkoflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:08 AM
biturbo19

I don't have any super strict rituals, but i do have a routine that i try to follow most of the time.

-Show up ~1hr early.
-Take a leak.
-Spend ~15 minutes just watching what's going on beforehand, or just stare at the ice. Visualization stuff i guess. Maybe just spaced out. Hard to tell.
-Claim prime corner spot in room.
-Take a leak.
-Sit around, sip some water, slowly lay equipment out.
-Take another leak.
-Get dressed, more or less the same order every time.
-Stare at the floor/into space/zone out for a bit.
-Ready to go.

Also tend to run through the same set of stretches, edge drills, skating drills every time, lots of transitions and stuff, but it's not like a set routine. Just a collection of stuff that i do in whatever order, however much until it feels comfy.

Half the time, by the 2nd or 3rd leak, i don't even need to do it. Just checking to make sure.

biturbo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:42 AM
ZajacsShakes
Den-ee-oos Zoo-Broos

Usually I dress while listening to music. I repeat the same song nonstop, Untouched by the Veronicas, and dress my legs-feet first. Then I'll pull some pranks on my teammates, then about 2 minutes before we go out to the ice, finish dressing. On the way out, I always slap the top of the door frames, and once on the ice, I do a few laps, then stretch. A few more pranks, then set myself up for the puck drop.

ZajacsShakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:52 AM
windycity

I have sex with a different supermodel before each game, helps me relax

or not

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote