HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lecavalier to the Oilers: A realistic possibility?

Closed Thread

Old
12-29-2003, 06:37 AM
serum114

vCash: 500

I posted this on the Oilers board, but I figured since you guys watch Vinny play more often, know your team better than I do and have a better read on the whole situation, I'd post it here as well.

Please don't flame if I'm way off with this, I'm just trying to get a read on the value of Lecavalier.

If interested, the other thread (on the Oilers board) can be viewed here: http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?threadid=39379

Cheers!

------------------

Question to toss out here: Is Kevin Lowe making a move and acquiring Vincent Lecavalier a plausible scenario?

Personally, I think it is, based on a few factors.

First, as he showed with the widely-reported, never-confimred deal he had in place for Lindros, Lowe's got the balls to make a deal along those lines. He isn't afraid to move big pieces to get big pieces.

Second, he has been in the market for a big, legit top line C since at least the off season (see the comments to Comrie about it) and Lecavalier is about as taylor made for the post-2004, big #1 C role as you can get.

Third, he's got the pieces to make a move now. With the speculation over Brewer/Smith (one of whom would have to go back Tampa way in a Vinny deal, they need the D), with our glut of quality young forwards and with our extra first round pick, the parts are in place.

I wouldn't put it past KLowe, but I wonder what the price would be? I would post this on the trade rumours board, but nothing productive ever happens there, so I'd rather post it here (and on the Oilers board).

My question is this, what are your thoughts on a deal like so:

To TB: Smith, Horcoff and PHI 1 - 2004
To EDM: Lecavalier

The Bolts land a legit 2/3 D man with leadership and experience (who is an RFA at years end, but likely won't get more than 3 mil), a solid bottom six role player who steps it up in the playoffs and big games (like the World Championships) and a first rounder.

Thoughts?

Old
12-29-2003, 08:58 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
No.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:28 PM
Bolthed

That's a pathetic offer. Sorry.

A role player for Lecavalier? Who the puck is the centerpiece of your deal, Jason Smith? That's not gonna cut it, either. Try Smyth and Brewer as a starting point, and even then I don't think the Bolts do it.

Sorry to bag on your proposal, but it seems rather thoughtless juxtaposed alongside your glowing praise for Lecavalier. I mean, how do you really think Jason Smith and Shawn Horcoff can get you a Number One Freakin' Center?!?!?

Sorry again. I don't mean to offend or be so touchy, but we've seen a lot of terrible proposals lately and this one ain't no better.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:30 PM
Bolthed

Oh yeah, almost forgot the usual disclaimer: Vincent Lecavalier will not be traded anyhow.

Old
12-29-2003, 02:49 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolthed
Oh yeah, almost forgot the usual disclaimer: Vincent Lecavalier will not be traded anyhow.
Very true.

Just as an aside, if the offer had been Comrie, Brewer, Smith before the Comrie deal, what do you think would be fair return involving Vinny there?

Old
12-29-2003, 03:54 PM
FacelessButcher

Lecavalier has all the potential in the world but until he proves he can deliver on a more consistent basis the absolute most I would offer is-

Smyth+Brewer+3rd for Lecavalier and Egener

I am sure you would think this a horrible offer as well .. *sigh* oh-well (he won't be traded anyway right? )

Last edited by FacelessButcher: 12-29-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old
12-29-2003, 04:08 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Lecavalier has all the potential in the world but until he proves he can deliver on a more consistent basis the absolute most I would offer is-

Smyth+Brewer+3rd for Lecavalier and Egener
That's one of the better offers I've seen. Smyth helps to replace Lecavalier's offense, improves leadership, and gives Tampa another gritty winger. Brewer gives Tampa the young, potential top pairing d-man they have wanted for a while and Smith gives them another solid d-man. A major problem though is salary, Tampa takes on close to $6 mil in this deal, far too much.

Old
12-29-2003, 04:30 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
Tampa takes on close to $6 mil in this deal, far too much.
Pssst... I think you forgot to subtract Lecavalier's salary (which takes a large step-up next year paywise by the way) and I'd guess Egener around 500K

Closed Thread