vCash: 500
http://www.goerieblogs.com/sports/sh...medium=twitter

Otters Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:14 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Ottersfan... Im not saying he didnt and im not saying he did... I do rememebr a guy named Darryl Porter did the same thing with Chilliwack Bruins where he said he didnt have talks and such and what not and then in the end he ended up moving the team... I have a funny feeling that the otters fans are getting screwed out of it in the end

HamiltonOHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:18 PM
H44

The Otters have a great group of fans - they support the Otters through thick and thin. The best solution would be for the Otters to be sold to local interests - with management who know how to develop a winning hockey team. Hamilton has already had several unsuccessful shots at hosting an OHL team.

Last edited by H44: 04-07-2013 at 01:21 PM.
H44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:45 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by H44 View Post
The Otters have a great group of fans - they support the Otters through thick and thin. The best solution would be for the Otters to be sold to local interests - with manangement who know how to develop a winning hockey team. Hamilton has already had several unsuccessful shots at hosting an OHL team.
Yes they do. They averaged over 4,000+ last season which I do not know exact numbers but that would put them probably in the top 10. If this team won consistently with McDavid and Strome now I have no doubt it would be a near sell out every night.
Financially the move makes no sense unless you are a greedy Bassin. I know he has spoke about selling the team, he can deny it all he wants but I can assure you it has happened. At the end of the season he released the video saying we are entering a new era of Erie Otters hockey. The fans have hands down been the most loyal compared to any other team in this league. Bassin owes it to us as fans to have this team here for the duration of the McDavid era. If he was not the owner he would have been canned years ago as well. I have been a season ticket holder for over 12 seasons, spent a lot of money to support the team, and most have been nothing but disappointments or loss after loss. With that being said, I will continue to support them, I love going to the games, and I love the OHL and Otters hockey. If Bassin sells the team to a buyer that he knows will move the team it is nothing but a huge slap to all of the supporting fan's faces and him essentially saying he could not care less about the fans. If he does it I know I will not be the only one waiting outside to give him the old one finger solute as he leaves the city.

Last edited by OHLFan8771: 04-07-2013 at 01:34 AM.
OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:12 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

They might not be moving to Hamilton this summer but u watch within next 3 yrs, since ham/mtl signed a 2 yr plus option lease for the 3rd yr Laval will be ready in 2 and Hamilton will have a ohl team in two yrs.. Might not be Erie but they will have aome kind of ohl team

Old
04-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Frankenrogers

Purely speculative but what the heck...

I thought that it was shocking that Montreal signed on for 3 more years with Hamilton. Maybe that is just a knowing nod and Montreal's farm team will indeed move when the Laval arena is built. Hamilton is picking up the OHL team as insurance and since the guy has the lease anyway, he keeps others out while picking up a team with a top prospect.

I also agree that Hamilton has the potential to be one of the top teams in the OHL.

Frankenrogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 04:59 PM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Im just saying i donno what Bassin is going to do, I know Hamilton has a 2 yr extention with mtl and the city with a option for yr 3... We already know that Laval is building a new arena and i dought its for a qmjhl team so u know mtl is moving the ahl team closer to mtl... 2 yrs would give the ownership enough time to build a rink in Hamilton as well as any ownert whos losing money in 2 yrs to move the team.. Either Bassin is telling the truth or hes playing his cards right and lieing to everyone we will never know

Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
bobber

Hamilton has had OHL hockey before at least twice and never supported it I believe. Will they support it if they get another shot? I use to like Bassin but he seems to have turned into a bit of a blow hard recently. I would rather see the team stay in Erie. If they have fan support like that the league should step in and demand that the team be kept there. Watch games on the tube in Ontario and you will see whole rafts of empty seats in some barns.

bobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:41 AM
BenchedGuy

Just some food for thought.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...144757013.html

Quote:
That does not mean the Otters and 16-year-old phenom Connor McDavid are as good are gone once the franchise's lease at Erie Insurance Arena expires at the end of this upcoming season. But Bassin acknowledging he's looking for an exit and will not have a new owner stuck with "long-term lease" is fine kindling for a big bonfire of innuendo.
Just a snippit but doesnt mean going or staying in Erie for that matter. Just indicates that Bassin wants out.

BenchedGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:19 PM
OSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Hamilton has had OHL hockey before at least twice and never supported it I believe. Will they support it if they get another shot? I use to like Bassin but he seems to have turned into a bit of a blow hard recently. I would rather see the team stay in Erie. If they have fan support like that the league should step in and demand that the team be kept there. Watch games on the tube in Ontario and you will see whole rafts of empty seats in some barns.

I agree with this. While I'm on the pro-Hamilton side of things, I would feel terrible if Erie lost it's team.

I've been to several games in Erie; the community supports the team well and the atmosphere is arguably the best in the OHL. The city, while not the most beautiful I've been to, seems to get an unfair label by some in the OHL. Some of the criticism is rich given that it comes from fans in OHL markets that are far worse cities in comparison IMO.

Unfortunately, atmosphere doesn't pay the bills and unless the OHL is serious about making territorial inroads in that part of the US with another franchise or 2, Erie will continue to be viewed as isolated and questionable OHL community and the Otters will always suffer as a result.

If the OHL went to Buffalo then we wouldn't be having this conversation about the Otters IMO.

OSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
Mightygoose
I Am Groot

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSA View Post

If the OHL went to Buffalo then we wouldn't be having this conversation about the Otters IMO.
Agreed. In the 90's and early 2000's the O was making inroads in the US and a Buffalo area team seemed inevitable.

Now with that not on the horizon anymore. Erie just seems so isolated despite having relatively good support. Makes me wonder once Bassin officially decides to pull the plug, is there another group wanting to be part of this league or perhaps just waiting for the market to vacate in order to get into another league (AHL/ECHL/CHL etc....)

Mightygoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:30 PM
bobber

Apparently with 4000 fans they are paying the bills. There are quite a few teams presently in the OHL that are not getting 4000 a game. I feel Erie will have a decent squad and make some noise next season and be a challenge the following one. When you look at Ontario, Guelph has had two shots at OHL and still does not fill the joint every game unless the Rangers or maybe London are there with fans. North Bay is on its second team. I just feel if you can't get out and support a team why get three shots at it. As a Ranger fan I have no stake in this. Would Hamilton support another team? Maybe for a short time.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:13 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Well McDavid and Strome will be big draws..

IHaveNoCreativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 06:39 AM
bobber

Why are the Hamilton Tiger Cats playing out of The University of Guelph this year? No fan support? Just asking.

Old
04-17-2013, 09:15 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Why are the Hamilton Tiger Cats playing out of The University of Guelph this year? No fan support? Just asking.
They are playing out of Guelph bc they tore down the ivore Wyne stadium and rebuilding it from scratch.. Basically because we got funding from government to as owner and Pam am games for the stadium... Stadium won't be ready until after current season...

Being 26 I wasn't around for the past ohl teams if we did get one I would support it 100%.. I think Hamilton fans are passionate for their sports.. When ticats have a losing season the fans still sell out or 1-2k out from selling out ivore wyne.. If Hamilton were to get a new arena build 6-10k fans capacity no dought do I think we could get a good packed rink.. Bulldogs have been here since 96-98ish we get roughly 2-3k fans 6-8 depending on who's in town but that's with most teams.. I think Hamilton could support a team.. Ppl look at it as copps holds 15k fans prob upper bowl which doesn't get used prob holds about 5k or so fans

Just because we have a football team means nothing I mean there's cities out there that have 2 football teams and 3 hockey teams all professional so it's not a matter if a city can support it or not... Times have hanged from the 80s... I think since mike A has taken over as ownership of the bulldogs just like caretaker aka bob young he has turned the bulldogs team around.. Mike A just spent a good chunk of money to improve the sound system at copps so I think if given a chance that mike A gets a team I think it would be successful

Old
04-17-2013, 09:23 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Quote:
The issue in Hamilton has probably never been fan support. It can probably be pinned down to competing for attention with the CFL's Tiger-Cats and not having an arena suitable for junior hockey.
like it said in the article posted by benched guy... i dont think the cfl team or fans are the problem... i think it would bring fans it just copps is too old and if we got a new arena it could possiblely work.

http://www.ohlarenaguide.com/hamforum.htm

The hold Hamilton Forum that was torn down in 76 only held 3800 fans, thats why that team wasnt successful plus i dont know what kind of players it was back then...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Steelhawks

going by the previous franchise from 84-88 they were successful record when they played in Hamilton... Plus with a new possible rink, your looking at possible wjc maybe next time they come to ontario sharing it with Hamilton/Toronto as well as possible memorial cup as well... which with these two things it would bring in tourism so i mean its just a matter of time that a new rink is built and getting a OHL team in the future

Old
04-21-2013, 04:42 PM
chlfan98

lets be honest Hamilton,On should have an OHL team and the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) should move closer to their NHL affiliate the Montreal Canadiens like in Laval,QC; Sherbrooke,QC or even Trois-Rivière,QC

chlfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 09:10 PM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlfan98 View Post
lets be honest Hamilton,On should have an OHL team and the Hamilton Bulldogs (AHL) should move closer to their NHL affiliate the Montreal Canadiens like in Laval,QC; Sherbrooke,QC or even Trois-Rivière,QC
Hamilton couldn't make the OHL work(as others have stated earlier; partly for reasons not in their control, partly for reasons such as the last OHL team they had-the Dukes-going so far into the tank a submarine couldn't find them)and it's strugging to make the AHL work. Face facts: Hamilton is a CFL city first and always will be.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 06:18 AM
ckg927

Send a message via Yahoo to ckg927
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlfan98 View Post
Re the second city you mentioned: Do you really think the Phoenix in the Q will settle for second banana status, seeing as how Sherbrooke just got BACK into the league? Trois Rivieres is in the same boat-they won't settle for being #2, seeing as how the LNAH is top dog there.

ckg927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-22-2013, 10:19 AM
HamiltonOHL
BulldogsFan00

Like i said before, with a good owner i personally think that OHL could work in Hamilton, alls we need is the arena and were good

Old
04-25-2013, 10:36 AM
Mwd711

Maybe the Otters would be in better shape if Bassin would finally give up the ship. Honestly, he has virtually zero credibility anymore and he should no longer be the face of the franchise. His managing of the team has been abysmal over the last several seasons and these public comments don't help any. Instead of saying, "my number one goal is to sell the team to someone who will keep the team in Erie", he comes across as someone out for nobody but himself. Why should anyone in Erie support a guy who sounds ready to let the team pack up at any moment while public tax dollars go to improve the arena his team is playing in? Considering the way Bassin has handled the team lately, its a testament to the Erie market that anyone even shows up.

I don't see how these comments are good for the fans, the city or the players. Its no wonder the team struggles so much with these constant rumors hanging over their heads. Long term, I think its a given that Erie moves since they will struggle to find any local buyers. Its a depressed market and there's very few white knights to be had there. Unless Bassin chooses to lock the team in there, forcing a future buyer to keep the team there for a certain time period (which of course, de-values any potential sale of the team) its likely curtains for the Otters. Its a shame since Erie is a strong hockey town and it truly deserves a team. It just looks like circumstances wont allow it long term.

Mwd711 is offline   Reply With Quote