HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Thread | "Don't Be A Moran, Draft Monahan"

View Poll Results: Who Would You Draft Of These Options?
Sean Monahan 141 52.61%
Elias Lindholm 26 9.70%
Valeri Nischushkin 34 12.69%
Darnell Nurse 45 16.79%
Rasmus Ristolainen 8 2.99%
Curtis Lazar 14 5.22%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 04:38 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post
The Edmonton Oilers will be interested in Sean Monahan if they miss the playoffs and pick between fifth and 10thin the June 30 NHL entry draft.

The Ottawa 67s centre is six-foot-two, 205 pounds. He isn’t on Canada’s world under-18 team for the tournament in Sochi, Russia, next week because he has a late 1994 birthday and it’s only for players born in ’95, ’96 or ’97. But Monahan gets a rave review from Kevin Prendergast, Hockey Canada’s chief scout, who put this team together.

“He’s a kid who can do just about anything. He can play the power play, kill penalties, play on the wing, on the top line, on your fourth line. Very versatile. For him to have 78 points on that Ottawa team was unbelievable. That was a bad team,” said Prendergast, who thinks Monahan could actually be ready for the NHL next season because of his size.
Geez, just spotted this. If Prendergast raves about him, count me in the anti-Monahan group.

6'2 and referenced as a "big center", best player on a terrible team, Prendergast throwing his talent evaluating abilities into the mix - I'm getting horrific flashbacks of Pouliot here

Old
04-16-2013, 08:34 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
How are his hands? Overall skill and shot?

I've only seen him through a few Youtube clips to be honest.
Sorry Soundwave didn't see this post....he has good hands and a great shot. Very high skill level. Why isn't he higher if he is so good? Well good question.

I think if Monahan had more speed and quickness he might be pushing for #2 or 3 spot in this draft. Again not a weakness but not a strength either. If he works on those areas and improves he could be a homerun pick. He really is the low risk and high reward player in the draft (IMO).

He is also the most nhl ready. When I made this comment in a prior Oiler draft thread somebody said that he would be ranked higher. What I said then and am saying now is that he is the most ready from a combination of his game (offensive and defensive) and he should be able to handle it physically.... Doesn't mean he will be the best player 5 years from now so teams rank players based on long term (not just short term).

Monahan just would be such a great pick. Very low bust factor. His floor is probably a 3rd line center at worst. Most likely a 2nd but also has that 1st line star potential if he improves his skating.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:45 AM
dnicks17

Monahan is near automatic on the face-off dot too.

He gets big bonus points for that with me.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:04 AM
Hemsky4PM

Pick 5 and 6 will be needed to get Barkov or Monahan.

People saying Monahan has 3rd line C as a floor have clearly never watched him play. He'd be that behind Malkin and Crosby, more likely he'd be an elite winger playing with that calibre of C.

He's likely a no 1 C, think Getzlaf or Eric Staal. Drafting him would be a massive organizational coup. Great player with size and an elite two-way game. This is a draft year that could see a few elite C as was the case in 2003 with Staal, Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Parise and Bergeron.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:11 AM
CornKicker
Locked Out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM View Post
Pick 5 and 6 will be needed to get Barkov or Monahan.

People saying Monahan has 3rd line C as a floor have clearly never watched him play. He'd be that behind Malkin and Crosby, more likely he'd be an elite winger playing with that calibre of C.

He's likely a no 1 C, think Getzlaf or Eric Staal. Drafting him would be a massive organizational coup. Great player with size and an elite two-way game. This is a draft year that could see a few elite C as was the case in 2003 with Staal, Getzlaf, Carter, Richards, Parise and Bergeron.
and pouliot right?

Old
04-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Oilers4life1987

Monahan or Barkov. With the cap going down trade either Hemsky and or Gagner + 1st in future draft fir our needs just not this year

Old
04-16-2013, 09:54 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Monahan is near automatic on the face-off dot too.

He gets big bonus points for that with me.
That would be great, though I wonder if the step up to the NHL would affect that, but as posted Prendergast pumping his tires does actually worry me.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That would be great, though I wonder if the step up to the NHL would affect that, but as posted Prendergast pumping his tires does actually worry me.
That's -1000 for me.

I'd think they'd target a D like Pulock or Nurse though.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:15 AM
dyzfunctioned

Depends where they finish but my draft board would be:

1) Jones
2) Mackinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichuskin
6) Lindholm
7) Nurse
8) Monahan
9) Ristolainen
10) Zadorov

So right now that would be Monahan though I wouldn't be surprised to see Flyers pass us and would be okay with taking Nurse or Monahan at #7. IMO, there's some definite tiers in this draft though...

#1: Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin
#2: Barkov, Nichuskin
#3: Lindholm
#4: Nurse, Monahan
#5: Ristolainen, Zadorov, Shinkaruk

Old
04-16-2013, 10:45 AM
NAF
Beauty Fakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life1987 View Post
Monahan or Barkov. With the cap going down trade either Hemsky and or Gagner + 1st in future draft fir our needs just not this year
Hemsky + our 1st to move up a handful of spots makes sense, but dealing Gagner would be insane. You don't trade your first round pick AND your #2 center, a guy in the top 20 in scoring among NHL centres, for a kid who could maybe one day become your #2 center. Especially not when you have an absolute mandate to win the next season. If Gagner is traded, there'll be another NHL center coming back our way, book it.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:22 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

If we draft out of the top 5 taking Monohan is a no brainer. He is just what we need, a smart savy 2-3 line C type guy.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I'd love to get Barkov or Monahan, but not as a replacement for Gagner for next season. That doesn't make sense.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:44 PM
bsmith14

Call me crazy but I don't want any piece of Nichushkin. I think it's too risky with his contract situation (but then again he may change our minds at the combine/interviews). He is a good player from what I have seen but there have been a lot of questions about his hockey sense have there not?

Only way is if we trade down into the 15-20 range and he falls to us plus we get an additional 2nd rounder. Maybe ill eat crow, we shall see.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
As someone who's had his eyes set on Monahan all along, I'm happy to note how much of a 'MacT' player he is. This kid is everything we need in the (eventual) top 6.

It's really too bad we're gonna win the lottery and draft Jones.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:49 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post

1) Jones
2) Mackinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichuskin
6) Lindholm
7) Nurse
8) Monahan
9) Ristolainen
10) Zadorov

So right now that would be Monahan though I wouldn't be surprised to see Flyers pass us and would be okay with taking Nurse or Monahan at #7. IMO, there's some definite tiers in this draft though...

Nichushkin has become so overrated, he's just a slightly bigger Paajarvi. Lindholm is up there with Barkov.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
doubledown99

Yeah I'm not high on Nisch. Obviously haven't seen a lot of him (outside of WJC) so just basing it on things I've mostly read.

Plus no more wingers. We need centers and dmen. If this draft lacked them then I understand going for bpa but it doesn't. And it's not like there is a huge discrepancy in skills and abilities between Nisch and the other players I. The top 8

Old
04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Call me crazy but I don't want any piece of Nichushkin. I think it's too risky with his contract situation (but then again he may change our minds at the combine/interviews). He is a good player from what I have seen but there have been a lot of questions about his hockey sense have there not?

Only way is if we trade down into the 15-20 range and he falls to us plus we get an additional 2nd rounder. Maybe ill eat crow, we shall see.
From what I have seen of him he has great raw skills but not a lot of hockey sense. I would stay away from him, that being said I just watched him in the WJC, not a huge sample size.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
jadeddog

I wonder if Philly would trade as Couturier for our 1st + Hemsky? Probably not eh? Our 1st + Gagner would do it for sure, but that's too much of an overpayment. I would LOVE to get Couturier though.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:27 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Here's a mock draft from NHL numbers... based on their weighted consensus draft rankings from 7 sources including Bob McKenzie... and also based on where they see each team finishing in the standings(based on their proprietary algorithm):

http://nhlnumbers.com/2013/4/14/2013...non-seth-jones

1 Florida Seth Jones
2 Colorado Nathan MacKinnon
3 Calgary Jonathan Drouin
4 Carolina Aleksander Barkov
5 Tampa Bay Valeri Nichushkin
6 Nashville Elias Lindholm
7 Philadelphia Sean Monahan
8 Buffalo Darnell Nurse
9 Edmonton Hunter Shinkaruk
10 Winnipeg Rasmus Ristolainen
11 New Jersey Nikita Zadorov
12 Phoenix Ryan Pulock
13 Columbus Adam Erne
14 Dallas Josh Morrissey
15 Detroit Max Domi
16 NY Islanders Curtis Lazar
17 Columbus Anthony Mantha
18 Buffalo Frederik Gauthier
19 Ottawa Bo Horvat
20 San Jose Alexander Wennberg
21 Calgary Kerby Rychel
22 Toronto Robert Hagg
23 Columbus Andre Burakovsky
24 Boston Artturi Lehkonen
25 Washington Jason Dickinson
26 Vancouver Morgan Klimchuk
27 Anaheim Steve Santini
28 Montreal Valentin Zykov
29 Calgary J.T. Compher
30 Chicago Ryan Hartman

I don't know about you all... but that looks like a "worst case scenario" to me.

Not only picking 9th and missing out on all of the "BIG 8"... but then not picking any of the next tier of dmen... Pulock/Ristolainen/Zadorov/Morrissey.

Picking Shinkaruk at #9... even if he is BPA at that point, doesn't get me very excited. I'd rather have them go "off the board" at that point and just pick Lazar instead if they were going to pick a smallish (yet talented winger).

Again, I REALLY want the Oilers to pick in the top 8.... and ideally top 7 because that really opens up the options. "Falling" to #9 or #10 puts them in a slightly lower tier although I certainly wouldn't mind Pulock or Ristolainen in Oilers silks.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:36 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Was that mock done with Tambo or Mac T in mind?

Old
04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
Koto

i actually see FLA as the only team who would pass on Jones. They could really use a 1C and have a couple studs on D.

If they do hold the #1 pick, they could be the most likely to trade down in years.

also i dont want shinkaruk, but have very little fear we'll take him anyway.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:44 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
I wonder if Philly would trade as Couturier for our 1st + Hemsky? Probably not eh? Our 1st + Gagner would do it for sure, but that's too much of an overpayment. I would LOVE to get Couturier though.
Not so sure that is an overpayment, depends if this trade can happen at the draft and see who is already been picked. But I don't see the Flyers wanting Gagner's new salary and only giving up Couturier.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
SHO NUFF*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post

1) Jones
2) Mackinnon
3) Drouin
4) Barkov
5) Nichuskin
6) Lindholm
7) Nurse
8) Monahan
9) Ristolainen
10) Zadorov

Heard a TSN podcast last week with Craig Button and Matt Cade. Button listed his tiers as -

1 - Jones
2 - Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin
3 - Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm
4 - Everyone between #9 - #21

Old
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
oilers4life5

I would stay away from anyone who needs help with there skating. It's such a huge risk.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHO NUFF View Post
Heard a TSN podcast last week with Craig Button and Matt Cade. Button listed his tiers as -

1 - Jones
2 - Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin
3 - Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm
4 - Everyone between #9 - #21
That's pretty much how I understand it as well. If the Oilers can end up with anyone in that 3rd tier of Nurse/Monahan/Lindholm... I'd be pretty happy.

Closed Thread