HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
You gotta go to Price against Pittsburgh and then Budaj against Tampa.
Those are both dangerous offensive teams.

I'd go Budaj for Pittsburgh.

Price for Tampa.

Price needs time right now. Watch Budaj play. Not to mention that against a team like Pittsburgh if you put Price in and they blow the place up and price get's yanked again. That would kiiiilllll his confidence. And another pulling is possible against a team like pittsburgh.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:14 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You seem to be implying that wisdom comes with age, yet your posts demonstrate otherwise.

The funny thing with this situation you don't even have to reach back to comparisons to Dryden or Roy to make any point. People need to look no further than players like Hayward , Hackett, or even Huet to find guys who supposedly were on the underdog side skill wise and all seemed to relish the personal challenges of being in Montreal. Those guys were less than gods and they got a job done. Night in and night out. Worked themselves out of slumps, no coddling, no army of people making excuses. Without the benefit of a good team. Oh yeah, and they got little respect.

I see the disdain shown by the novice masses towards these less "thoroughbred" players, but all have something Price doesn't.

This season is crumbling quickly, and here we are debating whether it's better to lose with Price's tattered confidence, or put an experienced 7-1-1 goalie and regain a shot at a division title.

This debate is only this one sided on HFboards, and yes it's because people here are youth-focused, hero-focused, and yes less experienced.

talk to someone outside HF, Price is not as admired or revered, or even respected as much as with the youth crowd. That's experience and wisdom at play. Deal with it.

Winning trumps all else, that's the true history of Montreal. Not trumping up false heroes and worrying about whether the hero will lose his job to a "backup" who played poorly 3 years ago with another team under different circumstances.

Another thing I find odd is the constant Leaf bashing and the 3 year old analysis of their team. Once again, if you're not watching you may think this is 5 years ago, but the Leafs are a freight train right now. Proven against our team. Possibly peaking at a good time. Not intimidated by our building, our fans, or our goaltender.

It's a team to avoid. Seriously. By way of winning a Division. That's why it would behoove the habs (and fans) to get out of the "just glad to be in the playoffs because I didn't think we had a chance 3 months ago" mode and get back to winning thought processes.

Last edited by Agnostic: 04-16-2013 at 09:21 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbybirthday View Post
Those are both dangerous offensive teams.

I'd go Budaj for Pittsburgh.

Price for Tampa.

Price needs time right now. Watch Budaj play. Not to mention that against a team like Pittsburgh if you put Price in and they blow the place up and price get's yanked again. That would kiiiilllll his confidence. And another pulling is possible against a team like pittsburgh.
and protecting him by having him duck good teams does not ? He's not an ageing boxer.

We are going to have to play good teams in the playoffs. We are afforded the luxury of already being in, use this advantage to allow price to work through his current troubles because if we dont were are looking at a certain first round exit ( and I like budaj).

If we were sitting in 9th and needed wins to get into the playoffs, I could see going for the short term gain. but everyone seems to think that because we are at the top of the division, that we are somehow ordained to go deep in the playoffs this year. I dont buy it, especially if we play like last night.

Goalies go into funks, price is in one now and I'd much rather he work through it now because its not going to affect whether we are in the playoffs or not.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:16 AM
Perrah

Quote:
LOL

I picked Budaj in fantasy hockey for last nights game.

Everyone thought I was crazy.

But after the past couple years I just know how bad Price can be.
He will be in this slump for the rest of the year and the playoff's. And half of next year. Then you will think he turned it around and is stellar for a month. Then he will slump again. He is not consitently good every year.... month...weeks...day's...hours...minutes...dying seconds.
That is crazy, you picked a goalie that wasnt playing for fantasy hockey and are gloating about him giving up 1 goal on 3 shots.

To the topic related part of your comment, Price had half a year where he was bad so I am not sure where you come up with the length of the slump. Every goalie is going to have some bad games through out a season.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:33 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
I would give Price the "easier" game, at this point. I don't think he suddenly forgot how to play goalie (or never knew how, according to some here) but clearly his confidence has taken a beating. And the fact that he knows he's playing the weaker team should be an extra bit of a kick in the ass.

Quote:
0/10 would not read again.
Almost bailed at "the season is crumbling quickly" after losing 2 meaningless games, persevered, checked out for good at "Price isn't respected or admired outside of HF's youth crowd".

Quote:
LOL

I picked Budaj in fantasy hockey for last nights game.

Everyone thought I was crazy.
I don't really understand what you're saying here (Budaj let in 1 goal on 3 shots, how does that help your fantasy team?) but Budaj would have gotten lit up same as Price because the problem last night was not goaltending.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:36 AM
DenverHabsFan

I've been saying it for days but we are on a trajectory to play our last game against the Leafs for home ice against them. That's a terrible scenario if the team doesn't pull itself together. The stakes for Price could not be higher if that happens. An epic collapse that would force MT to use Budaj in that series would have disastrous implications for Price's confidence and reputation going forward.

Not trying to be an alarmist but it's a real possibility.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:36 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
Why? You don't like the truth?

Want to put your head in the sand and pretend Carey Price is indeed Jesus and hasn't been playing like crap?
I fully admit when he's being bad.

That post was just full of a bunch of self-serving drivel that made absolutely zero sense and had even less relevance.

Price is in a slump. I know the position. I know the situation. When you're on, you get a piece of the puck and it goes wide. When you're off, you get a piece of the puck and it finds a way to go in.

Price needs to work with the sports psychologist right now because there is a tendency to get into negative self-talk and even a sense of learned helplessness in this situation. Especially with Philly. I'm ready to have a bounce back game, boom, shot off a guy's face and into my own net. The next shot goes through a crowd and finds its way through my wickets. I make some break-away saves, feeling the groove, then boom, my defense is gone and I'm getting beat on plays that are hard to stop. Any confidence that could have came from those big saves are now gone and we're back in the negative self-talk phase, movements get sluggish, technique becomes flawed, you're deeper in your net, you're not tracking the puck into your body.

It's now the time for the team to help him out. We've got to adopt a defensive system for the next few games to insulate Price, give him stoppable pucks, don't give up odd man rushes, tic-tac-toe plays, one-timers.. just let him see the puck and make some routine saves. Get out of the first period without surrendering a goal and it all goes away.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:38 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfox View Post
Why? You don't like the truth?

Want to put your head in the sand and pretend Carey Price is indeed Jesus and hasn't been playing like crap?
he's no jesus, and no one is saying he's not struggling, he is. but he's not the devil either and even if he is, i'd rather go with the devil I know than Budaj.

its easy to say the price is the reason we have played poorly FOR THE LAST TWO GAMES. He was awful in toronto but our problems are way deeper than price at the moment. After it was 2-0 ( his weakest goal last night) he kept us in the game.

if one is of the opinion that we need price to do well in the playoffs ( we do) then the best remedy is whatever it takes to get him out of his funk. if this means we dont win the division, so be it.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Sucks we have 2 back to back games, would have been nive to only have 1 and start Budaj, give Price 3-4 days to get his bearings back.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:42 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
What follows is not an attack on Price, it is a statement about what Habs must do the next 6 games:

There are priorities. If we fall from 2nd to 4th, or 5th, it makes a huge difference in the PO. This is the NHL. Too bad for Price.

I think we have already lost the division with the ****ing disaster the last two games. And now we might lose 4th. Un. ****ing. Believable.

Two eminently winnable games, and just **** **** goal tending. Stop sugar coating it.

Of course the D is ****. That is when your no. one goalie has to step up. For ****s sake.

Budaj beats Pens, Price is averagely **** against Tampa, you play Budaj until he ***** the bed.

Price can get ready for the PO in the meanwhile.

We are melting down. This is no time to be sensitive with Price.
The current stanley cup champs say hi. We have a lot of concerns currently, worring about something as meaningless as the division title is a gigantic water of time. will knowing that we won the division but lost in the first round keep you warm at night ?

we have to right the ship and that means getting price out of his funk. if it takes the rest of the regular season, that's a pill I'm willing to take because unless hes out of the funk, come playoff time we are cooked.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:44 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
What follows is not an attack on Price, it is a statement about what Habs must do the next 6 games:

There are priorities. If we fall from 2nd to 4th, or 5th, it makes a huge difference in the PO. This is the NHL. Too bad for Price.

I think we have already lost the division with the ****ing disaster the last two games. And now we might lose 4th. Un. ****ing. Believable.

Two eminently winnable games, and just **** **** goal tending. Stop sugar coating it.

Of course the D is ****. That is when your no. one goalie has to step up. For ****s sake.

Budaj beats Pens, Price is averagely **** against Tampa, you play Budaj until he ***** the bed.

Price can get ready for the PO in the meanwhile.

We are melting down. This is no time to be sensitive with Price.
What part of stopping multiple break-aways last night and allowing us to tie the game at 2 not stepping up? When mired in a slump no less?

For **** sakes man. He hasn't been good. But let's not discredit every ****ing thing he's done in the game and make it out to be like he didn't make a single save last night. The defense was ATROCIOUS.. practically NON-EXISTENT and he can't stop EVERYTHING.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:48 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
What part of stopping multiple break-aways last night and allowing us to tie the game at 2 not stepping up? When mired in a slump no less?

For **** sakes man. He hasn't been good. But let's not discredit every ****ing thing he's done in the game and make it out to be like he didn't make a single save last night. The defense was ATROCIOUS.. practically NON-EXISTENT and he can't stop EVERYTHING.
He's our number one goalie, so he should be able to.

#habsfanlogic

People were bashing him after that other Philly game where every goal that went past him was deflected off a skate. What else would you expect, really.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Ginu

It's very easy to blame Price after last night's game. If you look objectively, except for the second goal, he really had no chance on any of the others. Players open in front of the net to just tap it in and no coverage in the high slot. He can't play defense and goaltend at the same time.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:02 AM
bsl

Quote:
I fully admit when he's being bad.

That post was just full of a bunch of self-serving drivel that made absolutely zero sense and had even less relevance.

Price is in a slump. I know the position. I know the situation. When you're on, you get a piece of the puck and it goes wide. When you're off, you get a piece of the puck and it finds a way to go in.

Price needs to work with the sports psychologist right now because there is a tendency to get into negative self-talk and even a sense of learned helplessness in this situation. Especially with Philly. I'm ready to have a bounce back game, boom, shot off a guy's face and into my own net. The next shot goes through a crowd and finds its way through my wickets. I make some break-away saves, feeling the groove, then boom, my defense is gone and I'm getting beat on plays that are hard to stop. Any confidence that could have came from those big saves are now gone and we're back in the negative self-talk phase, movements get sluggish, technique becomes flawed, you're deeper in your net, you're not tracking the puck into your body.

It's now the time for the team to help him out. We've got to adopt a defensive system for the next few games to insulate Price, give him stoppable pucks, don't give up odd man rushes, tic-tac-toe plays, one-timers.. just let him see the puck and make some routine saves. Get out of the first period without surrendering a goal and it all goes away.
Self serving drivel? A sports Psychologist? WTF are you on?

Price needed to step up when Emelin got injured and he did not. The sky is blue. The sun rises in the east. Price has **** the bed exactly when we needed him most. That is what pisses me off.

Is that wrong? No. I don't hate Price, but I do hate that he picked the two key winnable games this year to be absolutely ****.

Do your realize that if we had beaten Leafs and Flyers, a very realistic scenario, we would be a lock for fourth, and in very good position for second? Do you realize this?

They were our two most important, winnable games this year, and Price failed, massively, in both games. Stop making excuses, he failed. He might have ****ed our chances of escaping the first round while Prust and Diaz healed.

I have to be clear here: I do not expect Price to be a god 60 games a year. Of course not. But if he is our no. 1, and we want to contend, I do expect him to step up in the ten games per year that really count. And he does ****ing not.

Last edited by bsl: 04-16-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He's our number one goalie, so he should be able to.

#habsfanlogic

People were bashing him after that other Philly game where every goal that went past him was deflected off a skate. What else would you expect, really.
You are now simply painting all people with the same brush, why are you doing this?

Who starts the next game in your opinion? How important is it to win the division?

You don't seem to be saying much except other people are irrational.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:11 AM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Self serving drivel? A sports Psychologist? WTF are you on?

Price needed to step up when Emelin got injured and he did not. The sky is blue. The sun rises in the east. Price has **** the bed exactly when we needed him most. That is what pisses me off.

Is that wrong? No. I don't hate Price, but I do hate that he picked the two key winnable games this year to be absolutely ****.

Do your realize that if we had beaten Leafs and Flyers, a very realistic scenario, we would be a lock for fourth, and in very good position for second? Do you realize this?

They were our two most important, winnable games this year, and Price failed, massively, in both games. Stop making excuses, he failed. He might have ****ed our chances of escaping the first round while Prust and Diaz healed.

I have to be clear here: I do not expect Price to be a god 60 games a year. Of course not. But if he is our no. 1, and we want to contend, I do expect him to step up in the ten games per year that really count. And he does ****ing not.
Were these 2 games really when we needed him the most?

What about the games when we were looking to clinch a playoff spot?

What about the playoffs?

Everybody needs to relax. These games were important to win but were not THE most important. Step it up in the playoffs and everything will be forgotten.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:19 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Hey, a guy needs new pads once in a while.
UH. He works them in in practice? For at least a week?

Old
04-16-2013, 10:29 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROSSter View Post
Price is our guy! Give him some time to calm down and re focus. He's at his best when he plays loose and relaxed. I hope Therien tells his to forget the media, fans and the pressure. Go have some fun and attack that puck.
I agree with this. That is a very good approach. I'm pissed off about these two games more than I have been on any two games the last 20 years, but that does not mean I think Price should be vilified.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:32 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Dagenais View Post
Were these 2 games really when we needed him the most?

What about the games when we were looking to clinch a playoff spot?

What about the playoffs?

Everybody needs to relax. These games were important to win but were not THE most important. Step it up in the playoffs and everything will be forgotten.
Not when we're starting first round at ACC, when with 8 games left we could have been starting at home Vs Isles, while Boston destroyed the Leafs and got injuries themselves.

No.

I don't think it will be forgotten. These two games had massive consequences. They were winnable, and had to be won. I also blame MT for this debacle.

You will see journalists cite these two games as our downfall this year. And we did not just lose them, we lost them BADLY. Absolutely shocking.

Last edited by bsl: 04-16-2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Not when we're starting first round at ACC, when with 8 games left we could have been starting at home Vs Isles, while Boston destroyed the Leafs and got injuries themselves. No. I don't think it will be forgotten. These two games had massive consequences. They were winnable, and had to be won. I also blame MT for this debacle.
we cant beat the isles in the regular season, so should we not avoid them as well.

We lost two games to teams that are much bigger than us and more physical. we also completely outmatched buffalo. getting back to playing the way we were earlier in the season is the biggest priority, standings be damned. I'd much rather go in fifth and playing well than go in second with an untested goalie or one who is still in a funk. it would not make a difference who we played in the first round, if we play like we are currently, we are done.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
AmeriHab

Can't wait to see Carey steal the cup for us come playoffs and the big post season talk will be comparing '93 Roy and 2013 Price

Too optimistic??

Old
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
we cant beat the isles in the regular season, so should we not avoid them as well.

We lost two games to teams that are much bigger than us and more physical. we also completely outmatched buffalo. getting back to playing the way we were earlier in the season is the biggest priority, standings be damned. I'd much rather go in fifth and playing well than go in second with an untested goalie or one who is still in a funk. it would not make a difference who we played in the first round, if we play like we are currently, we are done.
Can't avoid everyone in first round. You cannot be serious about starting at home vs Isles vs possibly dropping to 5th and starting against Leafs at ACC.

That is what these two losses might mean, if we play .400 from now on and Leafs win 4 of 6.

The Isles have zero PO experience, and no toughness. They would be a much better 1st round opponent than Laffs. I'd be surprised if it took 6 games to beat them.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:21 AM
the

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriHab View Post
Can't wait to see Carey steal the cup for us come playoffs and the big post season talk will be comparing '93 Roy and 2013 Price

Too optimistic??
The day it will happen, I will gladly shut my mouth and admit I was wrong but until then I don't want to hear that he's a franchise goalie and that he's the second coming to Patrick Roy.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Budaj starting tomorrow

Old
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards: