HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Was Monday's presser KLowe's worst hour?

Old
04-16-2013, 10:22 AM
shogun99

vCash: 500
That 2nd tier fan that isn't important usually watches most games on television at home or at a bar. They're the backbone of the success of the NHL because the more of those types of fans the league has, then the more advertisement revenue a team gets. They also help the local economy by supporting local businesses during the games.

The arena can hold only so many of these 1st tier fans. So I guess since there is about 14000 season tickets then only those fans matter out of the million+ Oiler fans world wide.

I'm not offended by his comments but it shows the character of Lowe and hopefully then "2nd tier" fans and media finally force Katz to find a new president.

Not just for those comments but for being the leader during the worst stretch of Hockey in Oiler History. Even the gutted Pocklington teams of the 90's were more competitive.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:23 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDU View Post
What was so bad about his. Comments about the fans? That it was true? Everyone *****es about no emotion robot tambo. Lowe gets up and actually gives a fuk and people rail on him? This board is so bipolar it's hilarious.

Any guff spec gets he deserves. The Edmonton sports media is pretty much a huge joke. It's basically just a bunch of fanboys who think they would be great gms and are bitter about it. Save Matheson I suppose and John short. That guy was awesome.
Tambo could have been an actual robot and I wouldn't have had a problem with that. The problem I had with him is that he sucked at his job. Lowe's track record with this team probably shows that they needed to go in a different direction and replace him too, but that didn't happen. MacT might end up becoming a good GM for all we know, but that doesn't earn him a job without Lowe even considering other candidates, many of whom have better resumes than MacT does.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:30 AM
Q Continuum
The trial never ends

vCash: 691
He certainly showed his ass.

Signed,
Tier 7 Fan

Q Continuum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:37 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Tambo could have been an actual robot and I wouldn't have had a problem with that. The problem I had with him is that he sucked at his job. Lowe's track record with this team probably shows that they needed to go in a different direction and replace him too, but that didn't happen. MacT might end up becoming a good GM for all we know, but that doesn't earn him a job without Lowe even considering other candidates, many of whom have better resumes than MacT does.
What is a good GM?
Nashville and San Jose have been dominating teams that fizzle at the wrong times, although the GM's are hailed as amazing.
My belief of a good GM, is one that doesn't become complacent and sits by while other teams at least improve. Look at Ottawa, Murray has made the right moves and kept his team rolling. He has acquired need when the cards where against him many times. That is one guy who doesn't sit around watching the other teams.

I would hope MacT at least is tactical and intelligent with filling holes while not depleting the cupboard. I always liked his hockey tactics from coaching, so I am comfortable with the decision of himm becoming GM. Some have mentioned the old boys club, well sometimes comfort of the situation is a bonus when making those hard calls. Having been in the Oiler environment, MacT knows his every move is being watched.
He will, and does care about what the Oilers represent.

Pros and Cons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
YEGman

I'm no big defender of the The Tree Fort Gang (to borrow from Tychkowski) but do know MacTavish and always felt he got the heat when the faults lay with Lowe.

Be that as it may, I wonder what the responses were like to the last Banister Research Season Ticket Holder On-line Survey (I know that I gave a vast majority of 1 out of 5 when asked about 'satisfaction', 'the future' etc. and also named Lowe as the problem) and if that helped colour his faux pas.

As well, I wonder how much uptake there was by Friday, April 12th to commit for the "play-offs" this year. I doubt very many paid up front in full and I wonder how many bothered to even agree to "pay-as-they-play."

YEGman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Eskie Jetski

Kevin Lowe bringing up his past success yesterday, would be equal to Colin Fraser claiming a significant role in LA's Cup win last year. What was he, a 3rd pairing defenseman? See, if he can say there are two types of fans, well, two can play at this game.

Eskie Jetski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Parch

Yeah, it was a really bad press conference. Embarassing to the entire organization. I hope Katz was watching and understands the feedback. Oiler management needs to be fired at every level, right down to the coach. Bring in a new group that has a fresh perspective on how to run a team.

Now the fear is that the team isn't further destroyed. There's a young core of potential here, and I worry about losing it to incompetence. How Lowe can hire MacTavish without even interviewing anybody else is irresponsible. There's a real risk that he's going to trade away a key piece for a bunch of big scrubs. The other GM's are probably drooling over ripping off the Oilers. With zero experience as a GM or assistant GM, there is real risk that MacTavish might cause irreparable damage.

Oiler management is a mess. Top to bottom. Until Lowe is fired and the entire staff is rebooted, I can't see this team accomplishing much.

Parch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Psychoil

Honestly, im not praying for a win or a loss tonight.....i'm praying for the fans to step up and get a massive chant going saying "fire lowe". That guys is ****ing joke of a president or whatever his position is....

Urgh this sucks, it just feels like we hit a new rock bottom with this franchise and we had just won 5 in a row....

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Let's see, KLowe's worst hour:

Asking Comrie to pay $2.5 million to facilitate a trade to Anaheim which prevented the Oilers from getting Correy Perry.

Ranting on a radio station about the "questionable pick" Bobby Ryan.

Wasting one month of an off-season trying to sign Dany Heatley.

Or yesterday's press conference.

Not to mention his teams have made the playoffs 3 out of 12 years since he was moved into management.

Tough to choose! There are so many "worst hours" for this guy.

cyril* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
ManByng
Moroz fan

this is likely Lowe's last chance to make this team win....he'll likely be the next to go if we still suck in a couple of years.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:07 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Not even close sadly.

His "demands" that Mike Comrie pay back his bonus money in order to complete a trade that would have brought this team Corey Perry was much worse.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post

Asking Comrie to pay $2.5 million to facilitate a trade to Anaheim which prevented the Oilers from getting Correy Perry.

Not to mention his teams have made the playoffs 3 out of 12 years since he was moved into management.

Telling Glencross they were going to use "his" money to sign Hossa...

It goes on and on and on.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:23 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Telling Glencross they were going to use "his" money to sign Hossa...

It goes on and on and on.
He can't hear you or see you or smell you because he has a stanley cup ring in each ear, both eyes and in each nostril.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:36 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Lowe has always been a **** that should have been gone from that top position years ago... and yesterday he vastly exceeded expectations on raising his **** status to a whole new level.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
He can't hear you or see you or smell you because he has a stanley cup ring in each ear, both eyes and in each nostril.
one up his ass too

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Wow ... what a sensitive bunch...

This is like a HF Mod coming here and stating... there are 2 types of posters here..
paying members and freebies.. and we communicate a lot with paying members..

Lowe didnt shoot down the non-paying fans.. he just categorized them..
Isnt it obvious that the organization would be closer to people paying thousands of dollars to watch their product..

It wasnt his best hour... but hardly anything to be going all up in arms about..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:47 AM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Wow ... what a sensitive bunch...

This is like a HF Mod coming here and stating... there are 2 types of posters here..
paying members and freebies.. and we communicate a lot with paying members..

Lowe didnt shoot down the non-paying fans.. he just categorized them..
Isnt it obvious that the organization would be closer to people paying thousands of dollars to watch their product..

It wasnt his best hour... but hardly anything to be going all up in arms about..
Agreed PP.

For those calling Kevin Lowe acting like a child, I see more child-like behavior and ranting here on this thread...

Were Lowe's words well chosen? Nope. But to state that he was getting the opinion of season ticket holders who the organization has easy access to contact, is not a problem for me.

Master Lok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Billybaroo*

Well, this is a real tough one. So much to consider. Lets see:
Lowe making an ass of himself & the organization at the presser by being unprofessional, dimwiited & slow by pointing out his 6 Stanley Cups (none in management, & all with him being a role player, as if any of that means anything. See Gretz, Gainey, Espo...etc), implying its only the season ticket holder that matters, & saying half the teams in the NHL would take our roster (no ****. The teams ineptitude got us there. And your proud of that? Like thats a feather in your cap?)

vs

1) the Comrie Fiasco
2) the Heatley Fiasco
3) the Nylander fiasco
4)the Souray fiasco
5) 3 straight 1st overall picks
6) his embarassing response to Burkes stupidity - mentioning his Cup wins (my god, just shoot me) & Bobby Ryan as a questionable pick.Was Lowe drunk?
7) in 13 years in management
-out of playoffs last 7 years straight
-past 1st round of playoffs once
-out of playoffs 10 times
-worst draft beer in hockey

Yeah, its a tough one but I dont think Lowes disgraceful display yesterday can exceed his embarassing performance as described above

Last edited by Billybaroo*: 04-16-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:56 AM
HotToddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post

This for the win

I've been beating this drum for 7 years

Lowe does not have the temperment or emotional control to make proper decisions

Ever wonder why day one of the Glencross/Heatley summer, Stauffer was on the radio saying GlenX probably was too expensive. Easy answer, Lowe and his agent got in a fight he would never wear Oiler silks again. Even this trade deadline when his name was brought up as an Oiler target the media scoffed because they know Lowe and the back story.

Let's completley blow up Souray's trade value, why, organizational ego.

It started with Matt Lombardi and has carried on for a dozen years

Everything the Oilers do or try and accomplish will be for not as long as long as Lowe remains in charge

HotToddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:04 PM
the doctor

There has to be some solace taken in the fact that the Edmonton hockey media has finally graduated. This has been years in the making and the Oilers were finally called out and not coddled. They will never again get away with soft soap or always being given the benefit of the doubt. It's a good thing...finally.

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Laodongxi

What is it that Kevin Lowe actually does in the Oilers organization? Oh, the ambiguity and ambivalence.

Laodongxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
There has to be some solace taken in the fact that the Edmonton hockey media has finally graduated. This has been years in the making and the Oilers were finally called out and not coddled. They will never again get away with soft soap or always being given the benefit of the doubt. It's a good thing...finally.
Oh, Im not so sure of that. Maybe a bit, but nothing like it should be.
We need Wayne Overland

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Wingerz

Does anyone have a link of the conference?

Wingerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post
You know, I was going to come here and try to explain that there is a plan here and anyone who can't see it is blind or refusing to acknowledge it but I get it. Today is the bury Lowe day and nothing is going to change everyone's pile on day. Enjoy bashing what still remains as management cause that is going to change things.

Today is the end of the beginning and beginning of the end of the plan management has had in place for four years. Enjoy the bash-fest as tonight we start the 2013-14 season.
I'll have whatever you are drinking.

BTW, was that plan to fire MacT four years ago to have him come back as saviour? How about Howson? The plan was to let him go mess up on another team, then finally do decently, but too little too late, get fired and vault the Oil back to the glory days?

Maybe it works, but there was no management plan here other than firing Tambi, as we all knew would happen the day MacT was hired. I will wait and see if it works, but Lowe deserves criticism after that mess yesterday.

Last edited by Seedling: 04-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.
Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:37 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskie Jetski View Post
Kevin Lowe bringing up his past success yesterday, would be equal to Colin Fraser claiming a significant role in LA's Cup win last year. What was he, a 3rd pairing defenseman? See, if he can say there are two types of fans, well, two can play at this game.
Exactly,he was just lucky to be on teams' where all-time greats' were on.

He has no right to say that he knows how to win.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote