Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Eyelanders

vCash: 500
Haven´t gotten any response, so maybe I´ll need try this thread as well :

Anyone have any thoughts or rankings of 1998 born prospects?

Players who have impressed me so far are: Juha Jääskä (HIFK), Patrik Laine (Tappara), Tino Siren, Tarmo Reunanen (both TPS), Anton Stråka (JYP).

Jääskä has impressive puck control and he is very dangerous when he comes off the wing as he has very good passing skills. Fairly strong skater and very good on the powerplay.

Laine is a very talented player, with his size, skill and shot. But he is not the best player defensively yet, he can be actually lazy in his own end. He still has a lot of potential.

Siren has impressed me this year. An opportunistic forward who can skate and has puck skills. Almost a -99 born, so I think there is a lot of upside. Reunanen has nice hands and skating, could become a good defenseman if he works on his defensive zone play.

Stråka has played a year up as well and I liked what I saw from him. A forward that has good size and skill, could be a player to watch for the future.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Laine couldn't pull his team Tappara through from the C-juniors playoffs by himself, Jokerit came back from 0-2 to win the series 3-2. Petrus Palmu and Olli Juolevi put up decent stats for Jokerit.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparta2009 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts or rankings of 1998 born prospects?
Stråka didn't stand out when I saw him, hard for me to say much about him at this point. Siren is a fine player and should do quite well with the youth national teams. I've seen Reunanen play as a forward as well, showed good drive and tenacity in that role. I don't know how much experience he has from playing forward, but such experience could in part explain why he displays some ability to carry the puck and support the offence.

A ranking made now might look very stupid in a few years, but it’s probably not wrong to say that Puljujärvi is the most advanced player at this point of time. MVP at the Pohjola camp and apparently wasn't far from making his Jr.A debut just a while back. Despite all the negatives, Laine is an intriguing prospect and could develop into something special if he manages to put it all together, time will tell. Last year I was expecting a lot from Markus Nurmi, he still looks like a pretty promising youngster, but I must admit that he hasn’t developed quite as well as I hoped. Goes to show that it can be difficult to predict the future.

Last edited by Tormentor: 03-17-2013 at 04:39 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 03:18 PM
LoveHateLeafs

One of the things that I've found sort of confusing in the run up to the draft is the fact that Artturi Lehkonen seems to have fallen out of the first round in all but maybe one or two rankings. At the same time last year, Teuvo Teravainen was rocketing up the rankings. Statswise, Lehkonen seems to have a more impressive record than Teravainen did last year, though Teravainen probably had less ice time in his draft year. Even this year, despite being ten months younger than Teravainen and having less SM-Liiga experience, Lehkonen scored only a slightly lower points per game while while his average almost ice time was almost identical.

I could understand Lekhonen's fall if Teravainen had been considered a disappointment, but if anything, TT has improved his standing relative to his draft class. In the recent THN Future Watch, scouts ranked him as the 11th best player out of the 2012 draft class, even though he was picked 18th. I haven't been able to see much of Lehkonen, but he seems to be a pretty good skater, has a good compete level, and already seems good at using body position to compensate for his lack of size and strength. I know he's had injury issues, but his slide out of the first round seems to have started before his recent concussion. Do the people who have watched him all season really think that he's that much worse than Teravainen was in his draft year?

Another way in which Lehkonen compares favourably to Teravainen this year is even strength scoring. This year, slightly less than half of Teravainen's points came on even strength (48%), while Lehkonen scored 73% of his points during 5 on 5 situations.

Last edited by LoveHateLeafs: 03-30-2013 at 03:51 PM. Reason: correction
Old
03-30-2013, 03:56 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveHateLeafs View Post
Do the people who have watched him all season really think that he's that much worse than Teravainen was in his draft year?
Lehkonen isn't a worse player than Teräväinen, just a bit different. The reason why Teräväinen went in the 1st round despite being a lightweight was his offensive upside, he was one of the most skilled players in last year’s draft.

Lehkonen is ahead of last year’s Teräväinen in some areas of the game, but for many the hypothesis is that his offensive upside isn’t as high as with Teräväinen. That’s probably the reason why he’s not listed as a 1st rounder in some of the rankings.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:16 PM
LoveHateLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Lehkonen isn't a worse player than Teräväinen, just a bit different. The reason why Teräväinen went in the 1st round despite being a lightweight was his offensive upside, he was one of the most skilled players in last year’s draft.

Lehkonen is ahead of last year’s Teräväinen in some areas of the game
Could you be more specific?

Quote:
but for many the hypothesis is that his offensive upside isn’t as high as with Teräväinen. That’s probably the reason why he’s not listed as a 1st rounder in some of the rankings.
I kinda understand what you're saying, but you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you mean by "skills", which can mean a lot of different things (stickhandling, passing, shooting, skating agility etc). It's not that I don't believe you, since there are evidently more than a few scouts who believe something similar. In Bob McKenzie's January scout survey, Lehkonen was placed 40th. The thing is, at some point higher offensive upside or skills (however you define them) ought to manifest themselves on the scoresheet, and Lehkonen's offensive production has been equal or superior to Teravainen's at every level (taking into account Teravainen is nearly a year older).

I guess what perplexes me is that, on the one hand, we have Teravainen, who some scouts consider the 34th best prospect in the world. On the other hand, we have Lehkonen who despite being nearly a year younger had a season that (on paper) looks equal to (or perhaps better than) the one that Teravainen just had in the same league. And yet, Lehkonen is almost universally considered not to be first round material in this draft, which doesn't seem to differ much in quality from last year's outside of perhaps the top 6.

I could understand this discrepancy if Lehkonen were tiny, but he's listed at 180cm, the exact same height as Teravainen. Whenever I've seen him and Teravainen play together, I just never got the impression that Teravainen was light-years ahead.

Old
03-31-2013, 11:35 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:

Lehkonen is ahead of last year’s Teräväinen in some areas of the game, but for many the hypothesis is that his offensive upside isn’t as high as with Teräväinen. That’s probably the reason why he’s not listed as a 1st rounder in some of the rankings.
I think it comes down to TT being so physically undeveloped. When he gets a proper off-season training this summer (last summer was practically wasted because of the travelling), we might see what he's really capable of.

Old
03-31-2013, 03:46 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Could you be more specific?
Both are lightweight guys and have similar height, so not much difference there. Teräväinen seems a tad taller as of now, but who knows, maybe Lehkonen still grows a bit and catches up. Both would benefit from having more strength/muscle, but judging the way these guys play the game and the situations they end up in, I think it’s a bit more crucial for Lehkonen, especially when thinking of NHL. Also, Teräväinen is great at dodging the bullet, he changes direction in a heartbeat and it’s hard to predict what he does next. Not saying that Lehkonen doesn’t have the same qualities, but Teräväinen has them in spades.

Teräväinen’s puck handling skills are very good, if not exceptional. Lehkonen’s puck handling skills are good as well, but Teräväinen has an advantage here. I think that playmaking ability(/upside) is another area where Teräväinen has an advantage. His unpredictability, creativity, very good puck skills and the ability to maneuver with the puck should as a combination eventually stand out even at the highest level, as long as rest of his game keeps developing.

You brought up the fact that “at some point upside or skills ought to manifest themselves on the scoresheet”, and I agree with you. Sooner or later that needs to start happening more and more, it’s an area of the game where Teräväinen can improve. There are already a lot of pretty things happening on the ice, but effectivity and scoring goals is ultimately what wins the games.

One thing to remember when comparing stats is that Lehkonen played quite a bit with Sakari Salminen, a player who I think would’ve boosted Teräväinen’s scoring totals as well. Also, playing on the same team at the WJC’s Teräväinen showed that he was the older and more experienced player from these two.

Teräväinen can play all forward positions, which in some sense makes him slightly more valuable than Lehkonen who’s a wing only. Another minor thing that might affect the equation is the relative strength of the draft year, some say that 2013 has a bit more depth than 2012, so this might make it slightly harder for Lehkonen to break into the 1st round.

For his age Lehkonen is well schooled about different aspects of the game, which of course is a valuable thing because some guys never fully learn the top level game. He seems like a more mature player and a better two-way guy than Teräväinen in his draft year. Another thing worth mentioning about his game is his drive to score. He seeks scoring opportunities, and finds the back of the net relatively often, especially for a Finn. Both Lehkonen and Teräväinen are gentleman players, but I guess you could say that Lehkonen is less afraid of getting his nose dirty.

Scouts naturally have questions about how well Lehkonen’s game will translate to the NHL, and his slightly built frame isn’t helping to dispel the uncertainty. Adding muscle is always possible, but when will it happen and what are the final results? Teräväinen is partially on the same boat, but the flashy puck skills and the presumed higher offensive upside perhaps make it easier to overlook some things.

Interesting to see what happens at the draft, it’s possible that there’s more than one truth out there. Some see Lehkonen as a first rounder, like Craig Button, but there are obviously differing opinions as well.

Old
03-31-2013, 05:32 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
I won't quote your post Tormentor, but when discussing which draft was deeper, it is relatively percieved common knowledge that several NHL clubs had Teravainen very high in their rankings. Montreal supposedly had him at 3, whilst other clubs had him ranked very high. He fell to 18, but that isn't necessarily the most accurate indicator of his perceptions, since the NHL draft can often be the rankings of co-incidence. Only takes one decision to drastically alter how the draft board players out.

Like it or not, Lekhonen will probably fall a little because of his height/playing style. He's a great project pick because the skills are clearly there, but the NHL draft will always favour bigger NA style players IMO. The NHL draft should never be used as a definitive measurement of where plays compare to each other, or how they will progress. The NHL draft selections make countless errors and stupid decisions, since it is independant teams with different methods and thought processing abilities making the decisions. Some teams have truely horrible European scouts, some do not.Wherever Lekhonen is drafted, it doesn't matter too much, what matters is the 5 years afterwards.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:07 AM
LoveHateLeafs

Thanks for the informative response. Things are starting to make more sense now. It's interesting how two people can see the same player and think somewhat different things. I'm probably biased from watching junior hockey, where it's so common to see a prospect do something fancy and think to yourself "Yeah, he won't be able to do that in the NHL". As I result, I tend to get overexcited by young players who play a "simple" game and put up points without really thinking that the simplicity of their game may stem from a comparative lack of creativity rather than maturity.

I should have realized earlier that Lehkonen's stats would be inflated by playing with the SM-Liiga's leading scorer. For what it's worth, after looking at the game-by-game, 27% of Lehkonen's points were "co-scored" with Salminen.

Note: by co-scored I mean the points were one of the following:

1) A goal scored by Lehkonen on which Salminen assisted
2) A goal scored by Salminen on which Lehkonen assisted
3) A goal on which both Lehkonen and Salminen assisted

One final question, would you consider Nazem Kadri a good comparable for Teravainen(in terms of style)?

Old
04-01-2013, 08:11 AM
Loffer

vCash: 954
Teravainen has much same in his game as Nugent-Hopkins. Nazem Kadri - no.

Old
04-01-2013, 04:31 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
For what it's worth, after looking at the game-by-game, 27% of Lehkonen's points were "co-scored" with Salminen.
That’s less than I thought, I was slightly in the wrong with my comment. Let’s put it a bit differently and say that KalPa’s environment and style of play suited Lehkonen well, it might’ve been a bit harder for him elsewhere. And that’s not to take anything away from Lehkonen, he deserved every bit of success he got.

Quote:
One final question, would you consider Nazem Kadri a good comparable for Teravainen(in terms of style)?
I must admit that I don’t follow the Leafs that much, but from what I can tell Kadri is a fairly good comparison for Teräväinen. There are similarities in the way the skate, move, and handle the puck. Both are creative guys, have good vision, and love having the puck on their blade. It isn’t always easy for defensemen to get a read of what they do next. Kadri wasn’t and probably still isn’t the strongest guy on the ice, so that fits the comparison as well.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:05 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Some what off topic but I still find it hard to believe Jokerit couldn't find a job for their best junior coach Janne Pelkonen. I have now doubts of the handling of future Jokerit juniors and their development.

Old
04-13-2013, 03:11 PM
Misfire Puck

So I heard this name Urho Vaakanainen and would love to know more about him? Potential nhler?

Old
04-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Tormentor

U16 CZE-FIN game from Přerov (13.4.2013) on Youtube

Link to line-ups

2 ULANDER Elias LD
3 KALLIAINEN Akseli RD
4 MATTILA Jesper RD
6 PARIKKA Jarkko RD
7 VAINIO Veeti LD
8 HUUHKA Jere RD
9 SAARIJÄRVI Vili LD
12 JUHOLA Jouka LW
14 NIEMELÄ Joonas CE
16 RUOTSALAINEN Arttu CE
18 SILLANPÄÄ Santeri RW
19 TAMMELA Jonne RW
20 TEVRNIER Sami LW
21 EMBRICH Erik CE
22 VÄYRYNEN Teemu RW
23 ANDERSSON Eetu LD
25 NÄTTINEN Julius RW
28 MATTILA Julius LW
29 PIIPPONEN Topi LW
30 VEHVILÄINEN Veini GK
31 HELJANKO Christian GK

Old
04-15-2013, 04:17 PM
thomast

Urho Vaakanainen and Teemu Väyrynen are moving to espoo and to the Blues organisation. Best junior program in finland. Hope they will flourish there.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:18 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Best junior program in finland.
It's a bit difficult to determine which organization does the best job with suiting the individual needs of a high-end prospect, especially when the player is 15 to 19 years old. Looking at the standings alone won't give us this info.

Blues has the most successful junior organization in Finland at the moment, but to some extent it’s expected that its teams succeed. They have good training facilities and a lot of junior aged players. I don’t have the numbers, but can anyone match the depth they have in each age group?

Players like Barkov (Tappara), Granlund (Laser HT/Kärpät/HIFK), Ristolainen (TPS), Lehkonen (TuTo/TPS/KalPa), Teräväinen (Jokerit), Vatanen (JYP), Määttä (JYP), Armia (Ässät), Saarela (Lukko), Kapanen (KalPa), Pokka (TIHC/Kärpät) and Aittokallio (Ilves) make it obvious that several different organizations have lately managed to help a promising prospect become a better player. In this sense Blues seems to be nothing out of the ordinary.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:14 AM
thomast

Quote:
It's a bit difficult to determine which organization does the best job with suiting the individual needs of a high-end prospect, especially when the player is 15 to 19 years old. Looking at the standings alone won't give us this info.

Blues has the most successful junior organization in Finland at the moment, but to some extent it’s expected that its teams succeed. They have good training facilities and a lot of junior aged players. I don’t have the numbers, but can anyone match the depth they have in each age group?

Players like Barkov (Tappara), Granlund (Laser HT/Kärpät/HIFK), Ristolainen (TPS), Lehkonen (TuTo/TPS/KalPa), Teräväinen (Jokerit), Vatanen (JYP), Määttä (JYP), Armia (Ässät), Saarela (Lukko), Kapanen (KalPa), Pokka (TIHC/Kärpät) and Aittokallio (Ilves) make it obvious that several different organizations have lately managed to help a promising prospect become a better player. In this sense Blues seems to be nothing out of the ordinary.
Those players who you listed would pan out in every organisation because they are extremely and naturally talented. There haven't been absolute gems in blues program. Vaakanainen is one gem for very long time if not ever. In blues he gets very good coaching, induvidual training, winning enviroment and playing with great team mates. Blues organisation have relied more and more on own "product" promoting talented players in to higher lever and play them in the role which fit them best. Juuso Ikonen, Miro Aaltonen, Valtteri Virkkunen, Niklas Tikkinen, Hakanpää, Aleksi Rutanen, Nico Nyberg, Robert Rooba and Joonas Valkonen, Lars Volden all played FEL games last year. Kristian Näkyvä and Jere Sallinen blossomed in other organisations but played in blues junior program. There have been clear signs from the management that junior developement and program are one of the most important things for them. Time will tell if Vaakanainen will progress very well but i like that he chose blues which has very professional and well structured junior program.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Those players who you listed would pan out in every organisation because they are extremely and naturally talented. There haven't been absolute gems in blues program. Vaakanainen is one gem for very long time if not ever. In blues he gets very good coaching, induvidual training, winning enviroment and playing with great team mates. Blues organisation have relied more and more on own "product" promoting talented players in to higher lever and play them in the role which fit them best. Juuso Ikonen, Miro Aaltonen, Valtteri Virkkunen, Niklas Tikkinen, Hakanpää, Aleksi Rutanen, Nico Nyberg, Robert Rooba and Joonas Valkonen, Lars Volden all played FEL games last year. Kristian Näkyvä and Jere Sallinen blossomed in other organisations but played in blues junior program. There have been clear signs from the management that junior developement and program are one of the most important things for them. Time will tell if Vaakanainen will progress very well but i like that he chose blues which has very professional and well structured junior program.
I’m not denying that most of those guys would probably have done quite well in other organizations as well. Drive, determination, intelligence and ability to learn are in most cases more important than a slight difference in surroundings. I was just noting that most SM-liiga teams seem to have enough expertise to develop a player with the help of the national team program.

Blues junior teams are high in the standings, but it’s hard to determine how their coaches and training ultimately compare to those of other organizations. Most SM-liiga teams have highly dedicated coaches on their Jr.A and Jr.B teams, and offer a closely similar environment with Blues, but lack the depth and wealth of players to choose from.

SM-liiga is a development league for NHL and KHL, nowadays there’s room for promising youngsters on each team. Some might say that the wealth of prospects at Blues could in some cases make it harder for a Jr.A player to get a proper chance with their SM-liiga team.

My intuition is that KalPa would’ve been a good fit for Vaakanainen. Kuopio is close to Joensuu, the culture is similar and KalPa’s style of play compels defensemen to take a notable role with the puck. Moving to capital region has its own distractions and at this point it’s not a given that Vaakanainen gets a leading role with Blues’ Jr.B team next season. Carrying the team on your shoulders is what develops players the best and I’m not sure Blues can offer that, top responsibilities are often divided to several players there.

BTW, would you classify Vaakanainen as “extremely and naturally talented”? Is he in the same class with the top prospects mentioned earlier or will his possible future success be a merit of Blues organization?

Old
04-16-2013, 12:16 PM
thomast

Quote:
I’m not denying that most of those guys would probably have done quite well in other organizations as well. Drive, determination, intelligence and ability to learn are in most cases more important than a slight difference in surroundings. I was just noting that most SM-liiga teams seem to have enough expertise to develop a player with the help of the national team program.

Blues junior teams are high in the standings, but it’s hard to determine how their coaches and training ultimately compare to those of other organizations. Most SM-liiga teams have highly dedicated coaches on their Jr.A and Jr.B teams, and offer a closely similar environment with Blues, but lack the depth and wealth of players to choose from.

SM-liiga is a development league for NHL and KHL, nowadays there’s room for promising youngsters on each team. Some might say that the wealth of prospects at Blues could in some cases make it harder for a Jr.A player to get a proper chance with their SM-liiga team.

My intuition is that KalPa would’ve been a good fit for Vaakanainen. Kuopio is close to Joensuu, the culture is similar and KalPa’s style of play compels defensemen to take a notable role with the puck. Moving to capital region has its own distractions and at this point it’s not a given that Vaakanainen gets a leading role with Blues’ Jr.B team next season. Carrying the team on your shoulders is what develops players the best and I’m not sure Blues can offer that, top responsibilities are often divided to several players there.

BTW, would you classify Vaakanainen as “extremely and naturally talented”? Is he in the same class with the top prospects mentioned earlier or will his possible future success be a merit of Blues organization?
Vaakanainen is promising young defenseman. It's too early to tell if he can reach top prospect status like guys you mentioned. Now he is probably best 99-born talent in Finland and has all the tools become high-end talent.

There have been movement before from Joensuu to Espoo like Miro Aaltonen who have done very well. He is moving with Teemu Väyrynen who is from joensuu which could help him adjusting. In blues he doesen't have star status labeled on him. He has to work harder to gain the key player status on the team more competition could actually develope him
as he knows that he has to give extra push every day. There are not too much competition for key defenseman role other than Veeti Vainio at B-SM for next year so Vaakanainen should have good chances.

http://www.blues.fi/component/bluesn...7?view=uutinen

There is bit info about Blues junior program policy. Player developement is the most important thing and team success will come if the main thing is working.

There is top knowledge in the managment, great coaching in every level.

There is some concerns that his developement as you stated. Lack of freedom and his imagination. Lack of taking the team on his back but not every player develope like that. There might be concerns if he would hold the puck too much which could create him more flaws. Teemu Pulkkinen is great example. He had leading role, he was carrying his team, he held the puck too much, he had the freedom do everything. But when he had to play more simple, smart and effective at higher competition because his previously working dominant style didn't work he had to learn it again. It's not like Blues has too structured team. They play actually beautiful hockey and defensemen can play the puck alot aswell. Not as controlled as Kalpa but still the main thing is that the players play with their strength. To me it's important to get little competition, winning enviroment, getting great coaching to success.

I actually understand you but both things have their good and bad. To me he could develope well in every top organisation but i like blues because of steady knowledge in their managment and how they pay attention on their player developement. But the main thing is what he does himself and how determined he is along with natural talent.

Last edited by thomast: 04-17-2013 at 08:07 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 05:39 PM
YARR123

Quote:

Generally I think it's a good thing for a young player to be in an environment which provides a lot of challenges. Whatever the thing is you do I think it's benefitial to surround yourself with people that are good in what you do, not worse. It is likely that an environment of high competition and high level of talent will only push each individual more. In an "easy" environment it's easier to sit back a bit and not be pushing every small edge. Of course there are many things to consider when choosing / changing teams, so there's no way for anyone on an internet forum to say for sure what is best for anyone. And I don't base this post on facts or research, but intuition. So basically just my 2c.

Old
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM
Rhyagelle

if you are having sleepless nights between at the end of the week there are apparently going to be live streams from World Selects Invite (-98 boys) - featuring some of the prospects mentioned in this thread.

Finland Selects

if I got correct info games played in MHG Arena will be streamed, and the stream will appear on the match page during the game. - I presume/hope its free-to-view.

Finns will start their games today with practice match vs swedes.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Vaakanainen is promising young defenseman. It's too early to tell if he can reach top prospect status like guys you mentioned.
At some point it was too early to tell that from those other guys as well. Therefore I think your comment; “would pan out in every organisation because they are extremely and naturally talented” is slightly misleading. The surroundings might not have been 100% ideal for any of them, but they were adequate for good development and from the looks of it attention was paid mostly to the right details. Somewhere else things might not have gone quite as well.

If my memory serves me right, here are some of my first impressions about different prospects, just as an example of how things can change over time:

Pokka - The first time I saw him was when he was still playing for TIHC; chubby overweight kid with zero agility. He saw the ice really well and was a very good passer, but his movement was pretty horrible.

Kapanen - Him and Miikka Pitkänen were a treat to watch, but at that point there was no clear indicator of which one was going to become the better player, both looked equally skilled and small.

Vatanen - It was obvious that he knew how to skate and handle the puck, but he looked more like a rinkball player than a hockey player. There was no way that a small little brat like him could someday play high level hockey as a defenseman against grown men.

Armia - The kid was capable of deking multiple opponents while practically standing still, his hands were special. On the other hand he was a one-dimensional player and his skating definitely wasn’t anything to brag about.

Barkov - Looked like a promising player, but it was Jonatan Tanus who was running the show for Tappara at that point.

Salomäki - His skill level really stood out when playing against clearly older players with TeKi, but among other things I didn’t like his effort level. It was like he was walking on the ice for over half the time. Has since then become a hard working player.

Ristolainen - Was a good skater and displayed some ability to carry the puck, but his frame wasn’t special in comparison to other players on the ice. He has since then grown almost 20cm and is now one of the tallest players on the ice.

Teräväinen - The guy was small and thin, didn’t engage in battles or show much effort. There were flashes of skill, but I must admit that I underestimated his potential.

Granlund - Truly exceptional hockey sense and anticipation, it was like he knew what was going to happen a second or two before anyone else on the ice. What made me doubt him big time was his frame, as a 7th grader he was still the size of a fire extinguisher.

Quote:
http://www.blues.fi/component/bluesn...7?view=uutinen

There is bit info about Blues junior program policy. Player developement is the most important thing and team success will come if the main thing is working.

There is top knowledge in the managment, great coaching in every level.
All teams try to present themselves in a good light and get players see them as a good career path. They talk about the cooperation with schools, show examples of successful ex-players and make their organization seem reputable, welcoming and special.

Blues is doing a fine job with their younger juniors and has produced a good number of SM-liiga players lately, but I’m not 100% sold on them having better coaches or organization than most SM-liiga teams when talking about the upper echelons; SM-liiga <-> Jr.A <-> Jr.B. Would’ve been nice to see the results their coached had achieved with the material of teams like SaiPa or Pelicans.

Also, at least I had pretty high expectations of Joonas Nättinen when he moved to Blues. He was first and foremost a skill player when still with JYP and seemed to have offensive upside. Not saying that Blues failed with him, but I can’t say that they really exceeded the expectations either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Generally I think it's a good thing for a young player to be in an environment which provides a lot of challenges. Whatever the thing is you do I think it's benefitial to surround yourself with people that are good in what you do, not worse. It is likely that an environment of high competition and high level of talent will only push each individual more. In an "easy" environment it's easier to sit back a bit and not be pushing every small edge. Of course there are many things to consider when choosing / changing teams, so there's no way for anyone on an internet forum to say for sure what is best for anyone. And I don't base this post on facts or research, but intuition. So basically just my 2c.
I agree with you and like you said there are many things to consider when changing teams. I’m just saying that playing for an average team can sometimes offer bigger (or at least different kind of) challenges than playing for a stacked team. In a weaker team you really need to struggle to even have a chance of winning a game and due to a weaker supporting cast top players are forced into taking big responsibilities on every aspects of the game. They literally carry the team on their shoulders, it’s up to them to make a difference, nobody else will do it. In a stacked team training is more competitive and getting a roster spot is harder, this is good. On the other hand weaker organizations can to some extent compensate for this by moving the player up a level, if it seems there are no more challenges available at current level.

Old
04-18-2013, 03:24 PM
korxi

Just for fun, this is how i saw some players when they were playing in C-juniors. Mostly games were C-junior playoffs. Note that i saw most of them only play 1-2 games.

Tier A
Pulkkinen The next finish goal scorer after Teemu Selanne, and he could pass too.

Granlund The Next Saku Koivu, complete player and did not shy away from contact. In short handed he could hold the puck for 30 seconds by himself.

Tier A-
Saarela Again complete player, great shot, good speed, no weaknesses

Tier B
Tanus Typical fast, smallish player who racks up points
Barkov Did not see much flash in his game, but solid overall
Teräväinen Dangerous with puck, made almost always something happen

Tier B-
Ikonen Typical fast, smallish player who racks up points

Tier C, not bad players, but they did not impress me
Puljujärvi
Sebastian Aho
Donskoi