HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-16-2013, 04:34 AM
oilexport

vCash: 500
Don't like Mac-T as our G.M., Don't like Lowe as Prez. What makes Mac such a smart guy anyway, he does not know anything about talent according to his past player selections.

We will be a good team next year as all the stars are getting to thier prime so maybe these boneheads can make it work with a couple of player moves but they should have never been given the chance.

With the right Management Team, we could have been great for a lot of years, with these guys, I know we will underachieve (somewhat).

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:07 AM
phaedrusDH

vCash: 100
fastforward after 3 years of 1st rd. playoff exits, when Lowe steps down and MacT is "promoted" to his position and Howson becomes GM

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:21 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Agreed. I still dont understand why he was bringing up the past. Talking about his cup rings, the Pronger trade,the 06 cup run.
In all fairness, he was being questioned about his competency to get the job done. The pronger trade in that context is extremely relevant, as he is probably correct, that is the best trade in Oilers history and he orchestrated it. The cup rings, now that's where the relevance got lost.

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:24 AM
Asher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chooch View Post
I still can't believe the day has come in which we are now addressing MacTavish as our GM. Is this a nightmare?
When I first heard the news from a friend I honestly believed that he had meant to say that MacT had been named interim GM. Although I've been saying MacT would be the next GM ever since they brought him back into the organization, I never thought Lowe would hire him without even acting like he had considered someone else.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:37 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
After listening to Gregor and Rishaug I feel better today.

Rishaug had a very good point. People complained about the lack of emotion from ST, so when Lowe shows some people hate him too?

Did say some stupid ****, but at least the emotion is there.

I do think they should've did some interviews, but at the same time with the season going so long would there be enough time for a new GM to make proper decisions at the draft? Would we really be able to interview that many candidates at this point?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Rishaug had a very good point. People complained about the lack of emotion from ST, so when Lowe shows some people hate him too?

I do think they should've did some interviews, but at the same time with the season going so long would there be enough time for a new GM to make proper decisions at the draft? Would we really be able to interview that many candidates at this point?
Dreger was lapping up the Kevin Lowe milk just like Rishaug was it seems from his interview this am.

Please don't make excuses for them not doing due diligence and interviewing other candidates, what are we afraid someone would snap MacT up for another gm job?

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:54 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Bets on this happening in the summer?

Krueger fired, MacT becomes head coach again, Burke hired as GM.
Why would MacT go back to coaching? He has a cozy management position with his friend as his superior, there's no motivation for him to go back to coaching which is a more cutthroat position.
Also, there is no chance NONE, that Burke will come here knowing that an equal or perhaps even bigger egomaniac will be here reigning as his superior.

What i could see (and i'm dead serious) is Krueger fired, Smith promoted to HC with Bucky as his associate. Not only are they friends of Lowe and MacT but MacT was absolutely gushing about those two and in particular, Smith. I used to think it was Bucky that would be the next HC but hearing MacT's interviews yesterday, i was astounded at all the Smith love and quite frankly, it scared me.

I just knew from the day MacT was brought back, that he would be Tambo's successor and i now have that feeling about the "Old Boys" behind the bench.

Last edited by CupofOil: 04-16-2013 at 09:27 AM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:17 AM
Asher

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/04/1...ce-for-success

After reading this article I'm really starting to wonder what connection Terry Jones has to the organization. I thought it was very strange that he'd write a scathing article against Tambo, and I don't believe it a coincidence that it happened right before Tambo got axed. I believe Tambo was always going to be the fall guy for Lowe, but of course you need some help from the media to help get that message across. Jones' articles from yesterday and today make me think he's one of those facilitators.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:35 AM
Oil Gauge

I think its funny how worked up people get over this stuff.

It makes sense to make this move sooner than later. Doesn't really make sense to do it without knowing who might be available this summer though, but then you have to wait until summer and go into the draft and free agency with a GM who is less than prepared.

Going with MacT makes sense in the fact that he knows this team way better than any other GM prospect would. With this team which needs immediate change that will be valuable in helping him make sound quick moves as soon as the end of the playoffs.

None of us can really say whether this is a good move or not. Mac T has no real GM experience but that doesn't mean that he isn't going to be a good GM. Maybe he really showed a great understanding for the Job over the last year working with the Management group. Many of you thought he was being groomed for the GM Job, Having spent a year with the Organization learning the management side of things he could be more than ready.

As for all the KLowe hate, it amuses me. Everyone wanted Tambilini fired and he does it at what was probably the first real chance he had and people think he makes a bad Hockey Ops President. Sure you can question who he hired, but its premature to judge him for his decision. It could be the best thing for this organization in a long time.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:13 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post

After reading this article I'm really starting to wonder what connection Terry Jones has to the organization. I thought it was very strange that he'd write a scathing article against Tambo, and I don't believe it a coincidence that it happened right before Tambo got axed. I believe Tambo was always going to be the fall guy for Lowe, but of course you need some help from the media to help get that message across. Jones' articles from yesterday and today make me think he's one of those facilitators.
Pre-tambo guys like Jones and Matheson amongst others had inside info. Doesn't surprise me that Jones had this article before the firing as he probably talked to Lowe.

It's kinda why I mentioned if Stauffer might be on the edge as he no longer is the key insider.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:01 AM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
At last ... at long last ... the dumbest man in hockey has been fired.
I was losing faith that this day would ever come.
It hardly even matters who was hired to replace him because nobody and I mean nobody could be worse than Tamby.
MacT is a smart guy ... Howson I'm less sold on because he had the Jackets in the lotto for most of his tenure in Columbus, but whatever.
I'm am so ****ing delighted that Tamby is gone.

Yes. its exactly like people are twisting his words. I wonder if you even listened to the press conference. Here's what Lowe said .... "we have two types of fans. We have paying customers and we have fans that watch the games that we still care about but certainly people that go to the games and support us ... we spend a lot of time talking to them and delivering our message".

The salient point there (and one that shockingly seems to have escaped the notice of everyone whining in the first thread) is that Lowe was speaking to a question about what the organization was going to say to the fans who question the guys who made the mess in the first place now being tasked with cleaning it up. He was making a distinction between the team's ability to explain themselves to ticket holders (which he obviously feels they are doing a good job of) and non-ticket holders (who are necessarily further out of the loop).
For people to come on this board crying about being a "seventh tier fan" is just sad. And pathetic. And every bit as self-important as the comments they are calling Lowe out for making.

While this is all true, Lowe was not speaking to which fans pay the most or which fans are more important to him. He was answering a question about how he was going to justify firing/hirings to fans who think the guys who just got hired made the mess in the first place. In that context the distinction he draws is perfectly reasonable.
I will say that Lowe should not be the guy holding the mike when important announcements need to be made. He's a terrible public speaker - bested in that department only by Tamby. He bumbled his way through that whole press conference and could barely even read the scripted part of it correctly. Absolutely sounded like an ass when he brought up his SC rings.

Still, its a great day to be an Oiler fan.
See ya Tamby - and thanks for nothing.
Excellent points here and i'll admit i missed that too, due to not really being able to hear the full question. Nice pick up there Harpoon.

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Meanashell11

What a bunch of ****ing whiners on this forum.

You ***** and complain to get Tambo fired but your blood lust can't stop there. Now you have to ***** and moan that Lowe is still around.

He's right, those who pay and contribute can have a voice, the rest are just whiny tag-a-longs. Reminds me back when we played the Ducks last in the playoffs and I had to watch the game at a bar in Anaheim because it was not broadcast except cable. All these Ducks fans were sitting in the bar milking a giant Coke and *****ing that if the games next season weren't free on TV they weren't going to watch anymore. Oiler fans have stooped as low now.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out and when we are competing for Stanley I hope you are all glued to the Flames broadcast.

They had a plan from day one and this is the final step. If you don't care until they are winners we will see you next season, you don't need to watch or bother with HF.

Geez, and I thought raising 4 kids was tough, listening to this is mind blowing.

end of rant.

Go Oilers

Meanashell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:58 AM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meanashell11 View Post

You ***** and complain to get Tambo fired but your blood lust can't stop there. Now you have to ***** and moan that Lowe is still around.

He's right, those who pay and contribute can have a voice, the rest are just whiny tag-a-longs. Reminds me back when we played the Ducks last in the playoffs and I had to watch the game at a bar in Anaheim because it was not broadcast except cable. All these Ducks fans were sitting in the bar milking a giant Coke and *****ing that if the games next season weren't free on TV they weren't going to watch anymore. Oiler fans have stooped as low now.

Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out and when we are competing for Stanley I hope you are all glued to the Flames broadcast.

They had a plan from day one and this is the final step. If you don't care until they are winners we will see you next season, you don't need to watch or bother with HF.

Geez, and I thought raising 4 kids was tough, listening to this is mind blowing.

end of rant.

Go Oilers
Someone's a little grumpy

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:08 PM
cyril*
Losers cheer for..

Quote:

end of rant.

Go Oilers
So, you:

1. Complain about whiners by whining.
2. Seem satisfied that teams led by Kevin Lowe have made the playoffs 3 times in 12 seasons?

Is this correct? You can be happy with the guy that has led this team from mediocrity to the worst franchise in the league, but not everyone has to be.

cyril* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:17 PM
poetryingasoline

Quote:

Was it you that wrote a while ago ( like a year + ago) that Tambo would be the fall guy for Lowe?

poetryingasoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:19 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

end of rant.

Go Oilers
So my centre ice subscription means nothing? How about my Oilers cap? My oilers trash can? My television cable package? How about my tax dollars paying for an arena? All means nothing?

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:24 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

I like K lowe's emotion. I really think the guy has a raw energy and understanding of hockey and what it takes to win. I think it is funny that people are so upset he isn't the best spoken guy and is a bit arrogant. This isn't the CEO of Apple here, it is the president of a F'ing hockey team. What do you expect. The guy is qualified for the job and he hired a guy he knows who is also qualified. I also find it funny every one is so upset Lowe would hire some one he knows, guess what this is the business world. happens all the time. it is important to know some one personally and know you can have a good working relationship with them.

The honest truth is every one is just pissy becuase the oilers have sucked for so long, and well can't blame them. However there are a lot of people that just need to take a step back. they are getting way to into this. At the end of the day it is a game, and for what it is worth I think it is going to get a lot more fun because Mac T will get this team going for next year. He will pull some moves, and get it done this off season. sit back and watch.

ps. I just realized that I said he wasn't the CEO of apple, but for the record Steve Jobs was a incredibly arrogant person.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:25 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Quote:
I listened to Tencer's show tonight... the entire show. Not one mention of the poll results that show fans 2 to 1 against the MacT hiring. Dan mentioned the poll itself a couple of times, but nothing of the results. This guy is so ridiculously in management's pocket that it's sickening to listen to him. And of course, the poll is only the cherry on top. He's been cheerleading this move all night.
everybody knows he is the worst radio guy in canada, nothing will change.

Being a homer is fine, but the pure hatred he has for everybody non edmonton is hilarious.

Also when was the last time he openly criticized the management?

Last edited by Lucbourdon: 04-16-2013 at 12:35 PM.
Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

end of rant.

Go Oilers
Uh, what? FFS we're building an arena for them with our own money. The fans who watch games on TV, in the bars etc are the backbone of the NHL and the Oilers. Do you not understand it is viewership that creates TV revenue that generates marketability? There's just so much wrong with this post. We've called for Lowe's head even longer than we have for Tambo's, so of course we're going to keep calling for it.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
I like K lowe's emotion. I really think the guy has a raw energy and understanding of hockey and what it takes to win. I think it is funny that people are so upset he isn't the best spoken guy and is a bit arrogant. This isn't the CEO of Apple here, it is the president of a F'ing hockey team. What do you expect. The guy is qualified for the job and he hired a guy he knows who is also qualified. I also find it funny every one is so upset Lowe would hire some one he knows, guess what this is the business world. happens all the time. it is important to know some one personally and know you can have a good working relationship with them.

The honest truth is every one is just pissy becuase the oilers have sucked for so long, and well can't blame them. However there are a lot of people that just need to take a step back. they are getting way to into this. At the end of the day it is a game, and for what it is worth I think it is going to get a lot more fun because Mac T will get this team going for next year. He will pull some moves, and get it done this off season. sit back and watch.

ps. I just realized that I said he wasn't the CEO of apple, but for the record Steve Jobs was a incredibly arrogant person.
If he knew what he was doing why have the Oilers made the playoffs like 3/12 years we's been here..?

Come on, we all know bragging about how you rode the bus with Gretzky to four stanley cups here doesn't make you a qualified GM and it doesn't compensate for the fact this team has had little to no success with him involved in management.

This post from another thread says it all, and that's just scratching the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril View Post
Let's see, KLowe's worst hour:

Asking Comrie to pay $2.5 million to facilitate a trade to Anaheim which prevented the Oilers from getting Correy Perry.

Ranting on a radio station about the "questionable pick" Bobby Ryan.

Wasting one month of an off-season trying to sign Dany Heatley.

Or yesterday's press conference.

Not to mention his teams have made the playoffs 3 out of 12 years since he was moved into management.

Tough to choose! There are so many "worst hours" for this guy.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
If he knew what he was doing why have the Oilers made the playoffs like 3/12 years we's been here..?

Come on, we all know bragging about how you rode the bus with Gretzky to four stanley cups here doesn't make you a qualified GM and it doesn't compensate for the fact this team has had little to no success with him involved in management.
The story of why we haven't made the playoffs is pretty clear to me. Lowe put together a very good team in 06, then Pronger wanted out. We had a lot of bad luck and Lowe made a lot of bad moves, no question. To me the post Pronger years were when Lowe realized he shouldn't be GM and stepped aside. He, all but admitted that yesterday. He did a very good job of putting together teams before that, but, he realized a couple years to late this team needed a full rebuild. So he stepped aside and let Tambo rebuild the team. However, now, as he admitted it is time to see more and TAmbo didn't seem to be getting the job done...

Bottom line, why have we sucked? well the first few years were Lowe making bad moves, however, the last 3-4 years were planned sucking. so take that as you will.

Lowe isn't perfect, I am not saying he is. Point out any GM in the NHL who hasn't made mistakes?

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Was it you that wrote a while ago ( like a year + ago) that Tambo would be the fall guy for Lowe?
Don't want to take credit from Asher if he did say it but i think just about everybody assumed Tambo would be fired before the rebuild was over and Lowe would be back as GM. Lowe isn't GM but it is the same effect with MacT.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:39 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
The story of why we haven't made the playoffs is pretty clear to me. Lowe put together a very good team in 06, then Pronger wanted out. We had a lot of bad luck and Lowe made a lot of bad moves, no question. To me the post Pronger years were when Lowe realized he shouldn't be GM and stepped aside. He, all but admitted that yesterday. He did a very good job of putting together teams before that, but, he realized a couple years to late this team needed a full rebuild. So he stepped aside and let Tambo rebuild the team. However, now, as he admitted it is time to see more and TAmbo didn't seem to be getting the job done...

Bottom line, why have we sucked? well the first few years were Lowe making bad moves, however, the last 3-4 years were planned sucking. so take that as you will.

Lowe isn't perfect, I am not saying he is. Point out any GM in the NHL who hasn't made mistakes?
Tough because 19 out of 20 gms who have been as bad as him have had their ***** fire long ago.

If you add up the pluses as good moves and the minues as bad moves he is in huge minus territory and it boggles my mind that any one can not expect more out of the people that run this team.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:41 PM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
everybody knows he is the worst radio guy in canada, nothing will change.

Being a homer is fine, but the pure hatred he has for everybody non edmonton is hilarious.

Also when was the last time he openly criticized the management?
You don't openly criticize the company you work for. I'm sure he has his opinions, though. Just can't/won't share them on air.

McRib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:42 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think its funny how worked up people get over this stuff.

It makes sense to make this move sooner than later. Doesn't really make sense to do it without knowing who might be available this summer though, but then you have to wait until summer and go into the draft and free agency with a GM who is less than prepared.

Going with MacT makes sense in the fact that he knows this team way better than any other GM prospect would. With this team which needs immediate change that will be valuable in helping him make sound quick moves as soon as the end of the playoffs.

None of us can really say whether this is a good move or not. Mac T has no real GM experience but that doesn't mean that he isn't going to be a good GM. Maybe he really showed a great understanding for the Job over the last year working with the Management group. Many of you thought he was being groomed for the GM Job, Having spent a year with the Organization learning the management side of things he could be more than ready.

As for all the KLowe hate, it amuses me. Everyone wanted Tambilini fired and he does it at what was probably the first real chance he had and people think he makes a bad Hockey Ops President. Sure you can question who he hired, but its premature to judge him for his decision. It could be the best thing for this organization in a long time.
You win this thread.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote