HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preds vs Nucks

Old
04-16-2013, 02:26 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisp View Post
As a Canucks fan, I'm proud to see my team play with an edge rather than play soft. For the most part, Canucks are a middle weight team, and if they don't play feisty and push back, they get pushed around by the bigger teams.

I don't blame you for hating Burrows, but against such a dominating physical presence like Gill, but if he was your guy you'd want him to play the same way.

me2: c'mon, Kassian was a total troll there. He saw Weber coming and rather than walk away he gleefully gave Rinne a second shot.
I'd more upset if someone actually did something nasty like running over my goalie rather than a mild, trollish shove on an armour plated goalie who started it.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:43 AM
PhoneGuy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I'd more upset if someone actually did something nasty like running over my goalie rather than a mild, trollish shove on an armour plated goalie who started it.
Oh please. If someone did that to Schneider or Luongo, you'd be howling for blood.

PhoneGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:56 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
Rinne started it when he crosschecked Kassian while Kassian was quietly standing around outside the crease watching the play and facing the other way. Rinne instigated the event with that pointless crosscheck to the back. Kassian gave him a stare and a couple of pushes he wouldn't have even felt under his goalie gear.

Huh? Weber was the first guy in but he couldn't do much other than that quick crosscheck because the ref got in the way then pushed Kassian to the back wall. Short of crushing the ref Weber couldn't do much else he comes straight back in after his crosscheck to Kassian pushed him away.

I don't get the Josi love, he skates in, looks frightened to do anything and just stands around watching. He didn't do anything until Kassian engaged Weber. Waiting until your opponent is being held by the ref and facing the other way fighting someone else before throwing punches is not proactive toughness.

As for Lapierre I'm not sure what the issue is here, he did nothing cheap, he just tied up Josi (2nd man in). Josi could have gone with Lapierre but Josi went back to being as quiet as a church mouse again when faced with an opponent 1 on 1.

You guys are being way too hard on Weber here because once the ref got involved so quickly it was hard for Weber, who was clearly looking to start something, to get a fight going. I like the Preds I'm just defending Weber, I think he tried.

I'm not sure people wanted a bench clearing brawl complete with automatic 10 game suspension, over a push by Kassian on an event started by Rinne.

whole event is on here, start at 8:13, Rinne starting it at 9:10

=========================================

Anyway I hope Nashville get a great pick this year it's a well run franchise with good fans. Someone like Mackinnon/Drouin/Barkov would look great in Preds colours and give you that long absent elite forward to go with Forsberg. Good luck for the rest of the season and at the draft. See you next year and stay safe.
Sooooo, Kassian was just standing outside the crease, minding his own business, admiring his team's play, when that mean ol' goalie Pekka Rinne just viciously and without provocation crosschecked him....uhhh..yeah..

I don't care what a goalie does to an opposing player, YOU DON'T GO AFTER THE GOALIE. PERIOD.

If you take a shot at a goalie, you'd better be prepared for a swift and violent response.

Josi came in to defend his goalie. Nothing scared about it. I was there, it happened right in front of me.

Last edited by PhoneGuy: 04-16-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 AM
PhoneGuy

Quote:
As a Canucks fan, I'm proud to see my team play with an edge rather than play soft. For the most part, Canucks are a middle weight team, and if they don't play feisty and push back, they get pushed around by the bigger teams.

I don't blame you for hating Burrows, but against such a dominating physical presence like Gill, but if he was your guy you'd want him to play the same way.

me2: c'mon, Kassian was a total troll there. He saw Weber coming and rather than walk away he gleefully gave Rinne a second shot.
Actually, I prefer our players not diving like Burroughs is want to do. That was a complete crap call on Gill.

Two other items from the game before I call it a night - Webs and Leggy have taken to checking each other as they're going to the bench if they're not starting the game. Pretty funny to watch, and good to see them having a bit of fun with each other.

and lastly, near the end of the game, Burroughs came over to the blue line near the Preds bench, looking to cherry pick. I no more said to the dear wifey " wouldn't be funny if someone on the bench took a jab at him" When I saw the end of a stick come up and poke him. I'm sure it was completely accidental....

Old
04-16-2013, 05:22 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Playing with an edge is an admirable thing ... diving, and cheapshots are not. The Canucks fall into the latter category.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantbeatzPekka View Post
didnt get to catch this one. But everyone is so quick to forget when Smith received a cheap shot, Weber was right there to answer the bell for him. I didnt see it so I cannot judge on what exactly happened but I am sure this is being taken out of context, per the usual.

I guess Ill make the next GDT again because we lost!

EDIT: having watched the video, I see no problem in how Weber reacted.
Glad you watched the video but seeing the play live Weber needed to be on Kassian like a spider monkey. Coming in like he did was nice but gloves needed to be off and fists needed to be flying. Go back in history of our team and see what guys like Walker, Tootoo and even Arnott have done.

You bring up the Smith cheap shot. That was game 1. This is your f'in goalie. No one touches your goalie, EVER. If they do they should be at the bottom of pile of gold. No excuse for what Weber didn't do and what Trotz didn't do to respond afterwards.

Weber should've been the first one throwing punches plain and simple.

And SLake, spot on with your post.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:21 AM
Legionnaire11

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Embarrassed by the attendance numbers???? Seriously?

For the life of me I just cannot understand why so many want to crap on our attendance.

{snip}

If you want to be negative, there is plenty to choose from to talk about this year- attendance and fan support ain't one of them............... [OFF SOAPBOX]
Actually that has been my stance all season when people bring up the "free tickets" and "artificial sellouts".

I was only referencing the end of the season, more saying that I didn't want to see another 3 home games because of what the attendance could be. And that is because it HAS been fantastic this season, I would hate to go out on a slide because that would be the lasting image to many around the league. As it is, we have only the finale remaining which should be sold out.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Top 6 Spaling

No one left Rinne out to dry. There was a huge pileup in front. Weber came to his defense.

As a goalie myself, I have no problem with what happened.

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:05 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Let me add that, I've probably been kicked out of games for defending my goalie more than most on here so I understand protecting your goalie. I just don't know what more Weber could had done right then.

Now going after Kassian later would have been justified too.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Weber should have been on Kassian a lot sooner.
That would have been impossible. It was after the teams had started moving up the ice. Unless you expect him to have eyes in the back of his head.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:28 AM
preds1

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Playing with an edge is an admirable thing ... diving, and cheapshots are not. The Canucks fall into the latter category.
I agree.

preds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:29 AM
predfan98

People have been pushing, shoving, running into Rinne all year. And basically the players have done nothing...........as a general rule. Rinne will get hurt because other teams know they can do this...... UNACCEPTABLE>>

It's pathetic and disgusting. That's not a team.....and not a Predators team.

The 2nd period we actually played hockey. Forsberg and Beck are bright spots. And who would have thought we all would have loved Rich Clune when he was picked up...

Diving Canucks..... let's see, Bieksa goes down like a shot, trainer comes out....... he's back in play within 2 minutes. Ironically.... Bieksa commented on his own team diving several years ago....
Derek Roy..........goes down to the ice, trainer comes out, has to be helped off the ice, comes back to play in the next period. My hubby said, it looks bad, like he lost consciousness for a few seconds..... I just laughed and said diving... I bet he'll be back in the next period...

Burrows is a sack of pus....he took that headshot at JP several years ago, fakes injuries and gets a ref mad at him.... he'll always be hated here. oh, and the biting incident.
When Hal Gill was going at him behind the net, we were all cheering on Gill..........and to the Canuck fans behind us telling us we didn't know hockey and shouldn't be saying that......go bite yourself.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:38 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
That would have been impossible. It was after the teams had started moving up the ice. Unless you expect him to have eyes in the back of his head.
Let me rephrase. Weber and Josi both looked back, saw what was going on, started skating to Kassian and Weber and the ref showed up at the same time. Weber should've been there sooner than the ref. That was my point. It should never have been an issue that the ref was there because Weber should've been there long before the ref.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Let me rephrase. Weber and Josi both looked back, saw what was going on, started skating to Kassian and Weber and the ref showed up at the same time. Weber should've been there sooner than the ref. That was my point. It should never have been an issue that the ref was there because Weber should've been there long before the ref.
Meh, from my view on that side of the ice, Weber got there pretty quick all things considered. Him and Josi were far up the ice, not to mention watching the play develop. Don't see much wrong with what happened. I'd more upset if they didn't even bother to come to his defense.

Old
04-16-2013, 09:06 AM
Preds33

The incident where ref's forever to stop play for the altercation where Pekka had his glove ripped off his hand where he was clearly waiving his bare hand in the air for what seemed like forever before a whistle was blown. And the Gill incident, getting held against the net for a good while with no interference call, then the moment he gets free and gets one hit on the guy, he gets a stupid penalty leading to a goal. Those moments had me more upset than the Weber deal last night. They got down ice as quick as they could, they were on the other side of the ice when they realized what was going on.

I can see you being upset over the Clune thing last week though. That was just laziness and no care at all there

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:50 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Watch guys like Stevens and Pronger. You think ***** like that would fly with them?.
without starting a flame war, actually I don't care, Shea Weber is not Chris Pronger or Scott Stevens. May have more skills, but at this point in his careers, he still has much to learn about leading, and there is nothing wrong with that. Pronger had Al McInnis and the Cavallini's to learn form. Stevens had a slew of mentors and was not a very good captain in STL before findnig his niche in NJ. Weber has had a few vets, but not really one of those "warrior" captains to learn from. Just a different maturation process. He will be fine.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:52 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

vCash: 1225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
The incident where ref's forever to stop play for the altercation where Pekka had his glove ripped off his hand where he was clearly waiving his bare hand in the air for what seemed like forever before a whistle was blown. And the Gill incident, getting held against the net for a good while with no interference call, then the moment he gets free and gets one hit on the guy, he gets a stupid penalty leading to a goal.
The Rinne blocker situation was one of the most absurd things I've seen since Duchene's offsides haha. I was standing and shouting at the TV "BLOW THE WHISTLE HE DOESN'T HAVE A FREAKING BLOCKER" while Pekka is waving at the refs and still trying to be square in goal. Based on how this season has gone, I fully expected a slapper from the point to come in a break his hand / arm.

Gill's penalty was abysmal; Burrows being Burrows pushing Gill into the back of the goal and then diving at the first nudge for a penalty.

And after the game I was like "Have we ever lost seven in a row? I can't remember that ever happening." According to the Tennessean today, it is tied for our worst losing streak. Not even upset really; losing sucks but we showed some serious heart, in the 2nd especially, with basically an AHL roster.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:52 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Part of me is going, 'will the Preds ever win again?' The other part is going, 'LOL!!! You let Nashville score 2 goals!?!?!?!?'

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:26 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

If he were "my guy" I would seriously question my allegiance to this team. **** Burrows.

04-16-2013, 12:30 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

A Canucks fan not even giving a moment's thought to the chance that maybe, just maaaybe, Kassian actually did something earlier to Rinne or said something to him to draw Pekka's ire. You know, since Rinne is not at all known for that type of play. We aren't talking about Turco, Thomas or Smith here. This is ****ing Pekka Rinne. Kassian is a guy trying to give his coaches a reason to keep him on the ice, and he isn't exactly playing on a team with toughness.

I shouldn't be surprised, though. He learned from Burrows and Lappy, and a lot of Vancouver fans have made a habit out of ignoring the ******** their players pull.

As far as a bench clearing brawl, I don't know. If the team weren't so banged up then maybe, but are we really going to risk suspensions right now with how depleted we are? Has Kassian put Rinne on his ass I'd agree. Don't think. Act. I think the response fit the crime.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:35 PM
Jarnberg

How about Kassian not make a big deal about being knocked out of the crease like every other player who gets knocked out of it.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
How about Kassian not make a big deal about being knocked out of the crease like every other player who gets knocked out of it.
Right? Remember when Fisher was being attacked by Smith while he was well OUTSIDE the crease? Now that is uncalled for.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Armor plated huh? Even though this is wildly wrong, let's go with. Suddenly cross checks to a goalie while the offending player is standing inside the crease, for no reason at all (the play was going the other way), are OK because of the padding?

Fail.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Embarrassed by the attendance numbers???? Seriously?

For the life of me I just cannot understand why so many want to crap on our attendance. With the shape we are in right now, our fans should be applauded for not only the number in the building in games like this, but the energy in the building (timeout standing ovation).

16,500 tonight- once upon a time we would have been lucky to have 12,000 for a game like this.

In what has been one of the worst, most miserable seasons ever for the Predators, almost every game has been a sellout and we are at 99% capacity for the season.

Yeah, that is so embarrassing..............

If you want to be negative, there is plenty to choose from to talk about this year- attendance and fan support ain't one of them............... [OFF SOAPBOX]
Amen!

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
BourqueBourqueBork

Re: Kassian/Rinne/Weber

Rinne did give Kassian a pretty decent shot...but nothing out of the ordinary in a physical game. I'm trying to remember who it was, but an opposing goalie gave one of our players an equal, if not harder shot, followed by a number of crosschecks from another player (St. Louis or San Jose, maybe?). In any case, our player did not go after the goalie.

What Kassian should've done is just skate away, maybe say something to the ref. But he didn't. Personally, cross checking the goalie and what I assume would be trying to get him to fight while all the other players were skating down ice is chicken****, IMO. Call me a traditionalist, but the only person that should be fighting a goalie is another goalie (and that applies to goalies that attempt to start fights with players as well...let your teammates handle it). Yes, Rinne is a big boy and I'm sure he could handle himself...but while the goalie equipment is protective, it's also bulky and it would not be a fair fight for anyone Kassian's size.

As for Weber not reacting quickly enough and the team "not standing up for each other"...I call ******** on that. Yeah, I suppose if your entire team is a goon squad (Flyersesque), that might work. But let's be real...our guys do stand up for each other. Maybe not each and every incident. I know we complain about guys not stepping up for Hornqvist...but let's face it...Horny knows EXACTLY what he is doing, and he's trying to draw penalties. Stepping up and getting in scrums might result in having a potential powerplay negated, or, even worse, with us being shorthanded.

Shea is the captain. He knows it. Whenever there is a scrum with multiple players, he's in there and grabs a partner. That's what you do. Sure, Shea can fight...but do we want him in the box for 5 minutes every time someone needs to "step up"? No. That's Richard Clune's job.

And as valuable as Weber is, we cannot risk him being 3rd man in or second fight and getting a misconduct. We need a level-headed captain, and that's what we have. HE can't be the guy out there defending everyone else on the ice. Even two minutes for roughing is likely a bad trade, because in all likelihood, unless he's scrapping with another star, it benefits them more than us. So for those expecting Weber to be the one to always be in there throwing gloved punches and facewashes...or fighting...that's silly. If that's what you want, then we need more bottom 6 tough guys. We've seen Angry Shea. It's awesome. But does Angry Shea get us more wins? That's my question. Playing with passion is great...if it is controlled. Look at Gill. Gill took a LOT from Burrows before he reacted. And though Burrows most certainly deserved to get penalized (absolutely stupid that he didn't), the fact is, he didn't. Tough break...but that's how it goes. You retaliate, and you risk an official being a total ********.

And the thought that Weber didn't get there in time on this occasion...that's ridiculous. The play was headed down the ice...and we had an odd man advantage with Kassian lingering back. There's no way Shea could've done anything more than he did. What do you want him to do, throw the official out of the way to get to Kassian? That would be a good way to earn a suspension.

In summation: defending teammates is a good thing. But there is strategy behind it. Some things can be chalked up to hockey plays (hard, but legal checks, or generally rough play)...you just return the favor later in the game. But with scrums, you always run the risk of going shorthanded when you go goon squad on people. In this situation, that would've been fine, had the ref not been in the way.

BourqueBourqueBork is offline   Reply With Quote