HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

MacTavish New GM | Tambellini Fired | Howson Promoted to SVP

Old
04-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobs View Post
You don't openly criticize the company you work for. I'm sure he has his opinions, though. Just can't/won't share them on air.
When you work for the company for so long, he has every right to say a few things here and there.

Sometimes people will respect you more if you are honest and not hiding behind the company line.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:56 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
I could see him moving at the draft.

What would we get back though? And who would we trade with?
Nobody wants Hemsky that is why he is a Oiler.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
czar99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
And I would feel very confident saying there's zero chance of that happening. Lowe wants his power structure intact, with himself at the top and his trusted but subservient buddies below him. IIRC, you said Tambo would be fired and Lowe would become the new GM, not MacT. I said it would be MacT. I've been saying it would be MacT ever since they brought him into the organization again. That's not because I'm some great prognosticator either, it's because I know what's really motivating the people involved here. Winning is extremely important, but there's something else going on that's equally important. It's about Lowe maintaining his control while staying out of the limelight, letting others take the criticism for him. It's about him having subservient employees that won't ever question him. Burke or any other veteran GM would never agree to work on those terms, partly why Lowe didn't even bother to consider anyone else for the job.
This^^^

The same reason that family businesses don't hire mangers outside the familiar.

czar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:00 PM
Asher

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryingasoline View Post
Was it you that wrote a while ago ( like a year + ago) that Tambo would be the fall guy for Lowe?
I said that Lowe was still pulling the strings and that Tambo was brought in to give a much more likeable PR face for the team. Remember, when Tambo was hired Lowe was feeling a lot of pressure -- team not playing well, striking out on big free agents and trades, public feud with Burke. Tambo became the public face of management when he was hired, as well as the lightening rod for criticism. I wasn't sure who the next GM would be, but I did say on the day MacT joined the team again that Lowe had just tipped his hand on Tambo's successor. This thing has been laid out like deck of cards for years now. Read Brownlee's article today at ON. Even he says anyone who didn't know MacT would be the next GM doesn't understand how this team is run.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
Over -9000 value!

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:03 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
When you work for the company for so long, he has every right to say a few things here and there.

Sometimes people will respect you more if you are honest and not hiding behind the company line.
This isn't a thread about your hatred for Tencer. Perhaps it's time you moved along.

s7ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
GDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by czar99 View Post
the kings wanted him two years ago for clifford and a 1st and possibly even another dman... pretty sure everyone here would jump all over that if it was offered again

just another reason tambo was fired imo, imagine if that move gets done, clifford fits perfectly in our bottom 6, the first would be another asset... etc etc

GDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
IV XIV XCI

I often watch and wonder what the Leafs and Habs did this year to turn things around.
And while they made significant upper management changes, I just want to focus on the on-ice product for a second.

What has struck me the most is the impact of their D in regards to offensive input.
Both of these teams have 2 players in the top ten defensive scoring in the league respectively.

Our top performer? A rookie who is playing pretty much double the amount of games he's ever played and is surely zapped right about now (we can all see it).

Guess where our next best offensive Defensemen sits in the standings. Go ahead, guess.
#63. Ryan Whitney with a whopping 13 points.

While i've pooped on Dubnyk my fair share this year, I have to admit that the poor helpless Giraffe has rarely had the luxury of playing with any sort of lead.
Depth scoring, while it's often looked at to come from the bottom 6-9 forwards, is generated and initiated from the blueline out.

If I am the GM of this team, this is the first area I address.

IV XIV XCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I must say I'm a bit concerned over MacTavish's claim to be impatient. A GM cannot afford to be impatient. When you reek of desperation others get the better of you.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
MoneyGuy

I actually think McT will be a capable GM. It does bother me that he said he'll be impatient. I hope that doesn't mean he'll have his pocket picked by a rival GM. It's awful, however, that Lowe still has a job here. He needs to be gone also. I know that Katz is a recluse, but I'd like to hear his reasoning on why that guy still works for this organization.

MoneyGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:02 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

So are all the Lowe haters, and peeps whining about comments about two-tiered fans deliberately ignorning Harpoon's post about why Lowe said what he said...or are they just looking for an excuse to hate?

Pay attention folks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
At last ... at long last ... the dumbest man in hockey has been fired.
I was losing faith that this day would ever come.
It hardly even matters who was hired to replace him because nobody and I mean nobody could be worse than Tamby.
MacT is a smart guy ... Howson I'm less sold on because he had the Jackets in the lotto for most of his tenure in Columbus, but whatever.
I'm am so ****ing delighted that Tamby is gone.

Yes. its exactly like people are twisting his words. I wonder if you even listened to the press conference. Here's what Lowe said .... "we have two types of fans. We have paying customers and we have fans that watch the games that we still care about but certainly people that go to the games and support us ... we spend a lot of time talking to them and delivering our message".

The salient point there (and one that shockingly seems to have escaped the notice of everyone whining in the first thread) is that Lowe was speaking to a question about what the organization was going to say to the fans who question the guys who made the mess in the first place now being tasked with cleaning it up.

He was making a distinction between the team's ability to explain themselves to ticket holders (which he obviously feels they are doing a good job of) and non-ticket holders (who are necessarily further out of the loop).

For people to come on this board crying about being a "seventh tier fan" is just sad. And pathetic. And every bit as self-important as the comments they are calling Lowe out for making.

While this is all true, Lowe was not speaking to which fans pay the most or which fans are more important to him. He was answering a question about how he was going to justify firing/hirings to fans who think the guys who just got hired made the mess in the first place. In that context the distinction he draws is perfectly reasonable.

I will say that Lowe should not be the guy holding the mike when important announcements need to be made. He's a terrible public speaker - bested in that department only by Tamby. He bumbled his way through that whole press conference and could barely even read the scripted part of it correctly. Absolutely sounded like an ass when he brought up his SC rings.

Still, its a great day to be an Oiler fan.
See ya Tamby - and thanks for nothing.
Now doesn't that just make sense? Put the torches down now and go home...

Booya42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:10 PM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
As for all the KLowe hate, it amuses me. Everyone wanted Tambilini fired and he does it at what was probably the first real chance he had and people think he makes a bad Hockey Ops President. Sure you can question who he hired, but its premature to judge him for his decision. It could be the best thing for this organization in a long time.
I heard this type of thing 5 years ago. I heard it 4 years ago. I heard it 3, 2, and 1 year ago. Every year, you have apologists saying that it takes time to turn things around (even if Lowe was the chief when the mess was created), and we can't judge Lowe yet.

Well it's not this hard to build a playoff team. It doesn't take 7 years to create a winning team. How do I know? How about the fact that Edmonton will soon have the longest playoff drought in the NHL.

Here's a stat to show just how historically bad Lowe has been during his tenure. In another 3 weeks, only 5 teams in the history of the NHL will have had longer playoff droughts. Requiring 8 years to get to the playoffs is not normal.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:11 PM
GodTukka*

Bruins fan coming in peace, just caught some of Lowe's press conference on the Score and uh.....man do i feel bad for you guys:

Couple interesting tidbits

-Tries to take credit for getting the Oilers "within a period" of a 6th Stanley Cup (Mac-T gets the credit for that with his coaching)

Says -"We blew it up, we're in year 3 of that plan, are you trying to tell me you're impatient after 3 years?' (Considering you had 3 straight 1st overall picks and haven't even shown a lick of improvement? i'd be annoyed too) for example, Pittsburgh turned it around after 3 first overall picks, Chicago got back in the picture after 2 high picks.

- Claims because he and MacTavish both have multiple stanley cup rings, they know what it takes to win (Despite not admitting both of them rode the coattails of one of the greatest players in history to get those rings) and that whole "i have rings therefore i am a perfect candidate to run a team" doesn't fly, for reference please see Michael Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats.

I kinda wish Burke would have fought Lowe like he wanted to, would pay to see that after this debacle

GodTukka* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:26 PM
slaman
Suffering Oilers Fan

Agreed that Lowe's comment were stupid, but all those asking for him to be fired for poor performance clearly don't understand his role and responsibilities.

He is the equivalent of the Chairman at a Corporation. He represents the shareholders' best interest, which in this case is Daryl Katz.

Lowe is Katz' mouthpiece, nothing more. He has no "power" and does not get involved in day-to-day execution and operations of the organization.

To draw the analogy in business, Groupon's CEO was fired for "poor organizational performance", not its Chairman...

slaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:23 PM
Beerfish

From Elliot Friedmans 30 thoughts...

5. Best omen for Oilers fans: when MacTavish coached, players said his best skill was quickly determining how good someone was -- or wasn't.

Yeah like Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, Torres, Penner.

At least it sounds like MacT will have the guts to make some moves and not be afraid of the consequences but he hardly blew me away in his time as a coach of being able to get the best out of some players and simply dumping them if they even once got in his dog house.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:39 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
From Elliot Friedmans 30 thoughts...

5. Best omen for Oilers fans: when MacTavish coached, players said his best skill was quickly determining how good someone was -- or wasn't.

Yeah like Brodziak, Stoll, Greene, Torres, Penner.

At least it sounds like MacT will have the guts to make some moves and not be afraid of the consequences but he hardly blew me away in his time as a coach of being able to get the best out of some players and simply dumping them if they even once got in his dog house.
Do you honestly think it was up to the coach to say, "Hey Kevin, lets package Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky?"

I get that the coach has some input, but to the extent you suggest is a stretch.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:43 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Do you honestly think it was up to the coach to say, "Hey Kevin, lets package Greene and Stoll for Visnovsky?"

I get that the coach has some input, but to the extent you suggest is a stretch.
Yes, when the coach press boxes all three of those guys on more than one occasion he is having a Massive say in a trade especially when he is Lowes best buddy and works closely with him. Just as he had some say in Horcoff being the richest oiler player ever by a long long long ways.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Yes, when the coach press boxes all three of those guys on more than one occasion he is having a Massive say in a trade especially when he is Lowes best buddy and works closely with him. Just as he had some say in Horcoff being the richest oiler player ever by a long long long ways.
So you're saying that he told Kevin Lowe to trade Stoll and Greene specifically for Lubomir Visnovsky?

I would love to see some proof other than "he put them in the pressbox". Do you have a link?

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Seachd

Certainly don't mind MacTavish as general manager.

Let's hope he can turn a disaster into a debacle.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
So you're saying that he told Kevin Lowe to trade Stoll and Greene specifically for Lubomir Visnovsky?

I would love to see some proof other than "he put them in the pressbox". Do you have a link?
Eh? I never said anything of that nature. I said all of those guys that were dealt along with Brodziak were deemed very expendable because MacT decided he didn't like them very early. To go along with my original post where MacT says that is a strength of his deciding quickly if he likes a player or not.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:18 PM
ty99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Bruins fan coming in peace, just caught some of Lowe's press conference on the Score and uh.....man do i feel bad for you guys:

-Tries to take credit for getting the Oilers "within a period" of a 6th Stanley Cup (Mac-T gets the credit for that with his coaching)

Says -"We blew it up, we're in year 3 of that plan, are you trying to tell me you're impatient after 3 years?' (Considering you had 3 straight 1st overall picks and haven't even shown a lick of improvement? i'd be annoyed too) for example, Pittsburgh turned it around after 3 first overall picks, Chicago got back in the picture after 2 high picks.

- Claims because he and MacTavish both have multiple stanley cup rings, they know what it takes to win (Despite not admitting both of them rode the coattails of one of the greatest players in history to get those rings) and that whole "i have rings therefore i am a perfect candidate to run a team" doesn't fly, for reference please see Michael Jordan's Charlotte Bobcats.

I kinda wish Burke would have fought Lowe like he wanted to, would pay to see that after this debacle
Lowe made some great moves to help us into the finals. Mac T wasn't coaching that team to the finals without Pronger and Roloson.
The 3 years without improvement thing is why the GM got fired. Kind of the point of why we're talking about it.
Relevant or not they didn't just ride Gretzky's coat tails, unless they somehow rode his coat tails while he was on a different team. Twice.

ty99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think its funny how worked up people get over this stuff.

It makes sense to make this move sooner than later. Doesn't really make sense to do it without knowing who might be available this summer though, but then you have to wait until summer and go into the draft and free agency with a GM who is less than prepared.

Going with MacT makes sense in the fact that he knows this team way better than any other GM prospect would. With this team which needs immediate change that will be valuable in helping him make sound quick moves as soon as the end of the playoffs.

None of us can really say whether this is a good move or not. Mac T has no real GM experience but that doesn't mean that he isn't going to be a good GM. Maybe he really showed a great understanding for the Job over the last year working with the Management group. Many of you thought he was being groomed for the GM Job, Having spent a year with the Organization learning the management side of things he could be more than ready.

As for all the KLowe hate, it amuses me. Everyone wanted Tambilini fired and he does it at what was probably the first real chance he had and people think he makes a bad Hockey Ops President. Sure you can question who he hired, but its premature to judge him for his decision. It could be the best thing for this organization in a long time.
I think it's pretty clear the reason most of us want Lowe gone is the precedence he sets. Of course, none of us actually know if he is good at his job because none of us really even know what he does. For all we know, he's paid to hang out pal around with Katz and whoever else just because. We all know he should have been fired for his horrible performance as GM, but he was instead promoted by himself to a seemingly self created position so he could continue to call the shots and not get blamed for it. Has Lowe made good moves? OF course he has, 2006 wasn't a fluke. But 3 playoff appearances in 12 years doesn't lie. He's made some horrific moves and handed out some albatross contracts that have crippled the team. The precedence that bothers us is that as bad as this team is, apparently Lowe will always be around and of course by causation we associate Lowe with the teams mediocrity, and there is no change in sight unless he isn't around.

Does that still amuse you?

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:22 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:

It was on Brodziak, but Stoll and Greene for Lubo you do anyday of the week.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:29 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Eh? I never said anything of that nature. I said all of those guys that were dealt along with Brodziak were deemed very expendable because MacT decided he didn't like them very early. To go along with my original post where MacT says that is a strength of his deciding quickly if he likes a player or not.
For the most part he wasn't exactly wrong.

Brodziak has proven that he can play well enough to get a contract.

Torres and Stoll had issues off the ice.

Greene sucked to lose, but at the same time to get Lubo not horrid.

Penner, meh not exactly a loss.

I'd more call him out for the opposite. How many players played so many games that shouldn't have?

Pouilot, Nilsson, Stortini, Jacques, Roy etc.. I mean he was so quick to judge yet Stortini got 140 or so games unders MacT?

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:33 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post

Although Burke is a verbal tough guy, he had a cup of coffee in the AHL and became a lawyer. Lowe is a former NHL defenseman known for his physical play and toughness. Assuming Lowe has kept in a modicum of shape since his retirement, he would kick Burke's butt in a barn fight. In fact, we saw some evidence of Lowe's tendencies yesterday during the press conference. I think everyone can agree that Lowe is far from being a master wordsmith, but I wouldn't want to fight that guy in a barn.

What I worry about Lowe is that he is becoming a Bob Pulford. A guy who is entrenched in his upper management position with the unwavering support of ownership, which allows him to cycle through GMs and coaches with little repercussions to himself. It took Bill Wirtz passing away to remove Pulford.

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote