HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Halak coming back this year??

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-10-2013, 02:09 PM
  #26
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
Mike Smith is garbage. He had a good year last year and that's it. His attitude is as bad as Miller's, but at least Miller doesn't suck.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:44 PM
  #27
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Mike Smith is garbage. He had a good year last year and that's it. His attitude is as bad as Miller's, but at least Miller doesn't suck.
Smith had a Great year a year ago. Armstrong wanted to sign Smith INSTEAD OF Elliott 2 years ago. Smith went to the desert due to a better chance at being the #1 Goalie in Phoenix instead of Halak's Backup, imagine that. Blues probably win the cup last season if Smith signed with the Blues, we will never know.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:08 PM
  #28
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Smith had a Great year a year ago. Armstrong wanted to sign Smith INSTEAD OF Elliott 2 years ago. Smith went to the desert due to a better chance at being the #1 Goalie in Phoenix instead of Halak's Backup, imagine that. Blues probably win the cup last season if Smith signed with the Blues, we will never know.
LA beat Smith in 5. Smith had an incredible year last year, almost as good as Elliott's, and LA still went through him. Saying that the Blues would've probably won the Cup with Smith is fairly ridiculous.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
  #29
CarvinSigX
Meh
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Ill Side
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
LA beat Smith in 5. Smith had an incredible year last year, almost as good as Elliott's, and LA still went through him. Saying that the Blues would've probably won the Cup with Smith is fairly ridiculous.
You forgot that a good portion of this site thinks Elliott was the reason the Blues were swept...

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
  #30
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word
 
HANDZ 57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: The Lou 'n I'm proud
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 768
A little off topic in this thread but since somebody brought up Allen and Binnington on the wolves...

Can players be loaned to other AHL clubs if there is no spot for them on the current roster? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. I remember we used to have Dallas prospects on the Rivermen, but I think that was due to them not having a team at all, right?

HANDZ 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
  #31
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
LA beat Smith in 5. Smith had an incredible year last year, almost as good as Elliott's, and LA still went through him. Saying that the Blues would've probably won the Cup with Smith is fairly ridiculous.
Pnine's it's a moot point, we will never know. couda, woulda, shouda, it's a Blues Legacy, please make a note of it.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  #32
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Smith had a Great year a year ago. Armstrong wanted to sign Smith INSTEAD OF Elliott 2 years ago. Smith went to the desert due to a better chance at being the #1 Goalie in Phoenix instead of Halak's Backup, imagine that. Blues probably win the cup last season if Smith signed with the Blues, we will never know.
Mike Smith would not have carried us through LA.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
  #33
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Mike Smith would not have carried us through LA.
So do you think Miller would have gotten the Blues past team destiny Kings last year?

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:53 PM
  #34
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
LA beat Smith in 5. Smith had an incredible year last year, almost as good as Elliott's, and LA still went through him. Saying that the Blues would've probably won the Cup with Smith is fairly ridiculous.
You beat me to it. The amount of selective memory about last post-season on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, I think it goes to show that Armstrong's pro scouting system is pretty solid. He's made good trades and the players always end up adding value. The EJ trade looks better and better. This alone gives me high hopes for Bouwmeester's role going forwards. Not sure we'll truly see it this post-season, but I like the Blues' defense next year.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:58 PM
  #35
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
Pnine's it's a moot point, we will never know. couda, woulda, shouda, it's a Blues Legacy, please make a note of it.
But since we saw LA play the exact goaltender you suggest would have gotten us past LA (and winning the Cup), it's a pretty conclusive point. You're doing the shoulda, coulda routine and I'm saying we know the exact remedy you propose would have made the difference, immediately didn't make the difference and there's no mystery; we got to see it.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
  #36
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
But since we saw LA play the exact goaltender you suggest would have gotten us past LA (and winning the Cup), it's a pretty conclusive point. You're doing the shoulda, coulda routine and I'm saying we know the exact remedy you propose would have made the difference, immediately didn't make the difference and there's no mystery; we got to see it.
Meh, Go Blues. Win the Cup in the near future so I can die in peace.

Thank you.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 05:30 AM
  #37
Big Papa Dapa
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St.Peters, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
For me the goalie situation is a tricky and I think an argument can be made for any of the 3 goal tenders. So let me put in my thoughts.


Halak - He constantly has the same injury, groin. Some people attribute his bad play to him hiding that injury. I don't know whether to believe he is hurt or not. It seems to me being a goalie you shouldn't have that recurring injury. I do know that it happens but its getting old. We pay him to be available and start games for us, but he has constantly been hurt. Don't get me wrong. I was on the bandwagon when we first acquired him but now I am not convinced he can be a true number 1.


Elliot. What is there to say about the guy. He was stellar last year and this year he just wasn't the same goalie at the beginning. After his stint in Peoria he came back strong and so far he is looking good for the most part. If he is doing good I don't see why we shouldn't ride him. The guy is stepping up after a rough start just let him keep at it, especially since Halak is hurt.


Allen was a welcome surprise this year. I knew he was good but when you ask a rookie goal tender to come up and he starts 10 games and only loses one you have to think about that. He has done well this year given his circumstances. I would like to see him still get some play time. I didn't watch the Columbus game so I really don't know who was at fault but one blimish on his record isn't quite enough to disregard this kid, you can't win them all. I see him as a true no.1 for the future and any experience he can get only makes him better. I don't know if I agree with sending him back down once Halak gets back, if he does get back. I feel he deserves some more play time.

After typing all this I would honestly be satisfied with benching Halak in favor of Elliot and Allen at least to let them start the playoffs and if one of them slips hard then you can hand the reins to Halak.

Big Papa Dapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:32 PM
  #38
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,971
vCash: 133
Halak hasn't had the same injury. Last season it was a high ankle sprain. This season he has had the groin injury and then (apparently, its still a little unclear) it recurred. Or maybe this is the other side, I haven't seen where that was clearly stated.

He's seemed a little fragile the past year, though, agreed. But I don't understand how he's getting accused of faking injuries by Blues fans. That's ridiculous.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:54 PM
  #39
Bluesman91
Registered User
 
Bluesman91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 5,069
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlueSince1972 View Post
So do you think Miller would have gotten the Blues past team destiny Kings last year?
Nope, it was just the Kings year last year.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:12 PM
  #40
Keep Your Head Up
Registered User
 
Keep Your Head Up's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Québec city
Country: Canada
Posts: 103
vCash: 500
Such a weird goalie situation...

Jennings winning duo a year, falling apart(except elliots' recent stretch) the next so weird. I mean, it's not rare to see a goalie struggle after a good a year, but BOTH ?

Oh well

Keep Your Head Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2013, 11:33 PM
  #41
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep Your Head Up View Post
Such a weird goalie situation...

Jennings winning duo a year, falling apart(except elliots' recent stretch) the next so weird. I mean, it's not rare to see a goalie struggle after a good a year, but BOTH ?

Oh well
Both struggled because they had no pre-season to hone their game and get in their normal groove, AND, more importantly, their team's skaters were playing terribly in front of them. Elliott has been able to regain his confidence because his team is now playing really well in front of him. His overall numbers are now decent again(despite that horrendous 5-game stretch): 11-7 W/L, 2.34 GA, .906 Sv%

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 12:16 AM
  #42
Mike Liut
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,073
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Both struggled because they had no pre-season to hone their game and get in their normal groove, AND, more importantly, their team's skaters were playing terribly in front of them. Elliott has been able to regain his confidence because his team is now playing really well in front of him. His overall numbers are now decent again(despite that horrendous 5-game stretch): 11-7 W/L, 2.34 GA, .906 Sv%

agree

Mike Liut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:52 AM
  #43
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Both struggled because they had no pre-season to hone their game and get in their normal groove, AND, more importantly, their team's skaters were playing terribly in front of them. Elliott has been able to regain his confidence because his team is now playing really well in front of him. His overall numbers are now decent again(despite that horrendous 5-game stretch): 11-7 W/L, 2.34 GA, .906 Sv%
Elliott struggled because he was absolutely ****ing terrible, don't blame it on the team. Also Halak starts off slow every single year.

I personally hate some of these excuses. They just plain sucked, period.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 01:58 AM
  #44
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 8,154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Elliott struggled because he was absolutely ****ing terrible, don't blame it on the team. Also Halak starts off slow every single year.

I personally hate some of these excuses. They just plain sucked, period.
Agreed to an extent. The team was not playing particularly well during that terrible stretch he had, but that doesn't account for the 2-3 softies per game he was handing out at points. Allen showed it was possible to play competent in net during that stretch and get some victories. It wasn't entirely on the team. Elliott should definitely shoulder the majority of the blame for his struggles. The Ducks game is the one that really stands out to me. Blues gave him 5 goals in support, and scored 3 goals in the shootout and still we lost. He was awful during that stretch.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 06:54 AM
  #45
Alklha
Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 8,402
vCash: 500
There needs to be context as well. Nobody can ague that they both sucked, but there are some reasons for that. Lack of preseason, poor play in front of them, confidence issues after a slow start etc.

Allen came in being game ready and when the team were starting to play a little better. Finding some confidence in the goalie improved that play.

Both our starters deserve plenty of criticism for their start, but it doesn't mean there isn't some logical reasons as to why it happened.

Anyway, is it looking like Halák will be back for the last couple of games this season? Elliott is clearly the starter now, but it'll be good to have Jaro ready for the playoffs if he is needed.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 10:14 AM
  #46
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses
 
CitizenSnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Elliott struggled because he was absolutely ****ing terrible, don't blame it on the team. Also Halak starts off slow every single year.

I personally hate some of these excuses. They just plain sucked, period.
Wait a minute...

Nobody here or on the main boards was saying he was fine but the team dropped the ball so you point is mute. Of course he was terrible. What is a fact is the team played terrible in front of him which snowballed his bad play.

I will blame the team, after all, Elliott is on the team. As for his play now, the team is playing so much better in front of him which raises his confidence and makes for a very stingy defense.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:17 PM
  #47
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
Wait a minute...

Nobody here or on the main boards was saying he was fine but the team dropped the ball so you point is mute. Of course he was terrible. What is a fact is the team played terrible in front of him which snowballed his bad play.

I will blame the team, after all, Elliott is on the team. As for his play now, the team is playing so much better in front of him which raises his confidence and makes for a very stingy defense.
Do you realize how circular this reasoning is? No my point is not mute, because the team didn't drop the ball. Elliott did, and if you can't see that then I'm sorry. I can also blame the team's poor play on how awful Elliott was. It's probably hard to stay confident and play well when your goalie lets in 3 goals a game that are softer than a baby's poop.

The Blues got off to a 6-1 start. Honestly, the team's poor play is blown way out of proportion. Yes, they struggled a bit defensively, but they were not playing that bad. It's still the goaltender's fault to make stops especially when they aren't even facing that money shots, and they failed to do that. Fact. The Blues started losing mostly because they were giving up 5 goals a game. The goaltending was completely awful.

It's also funny how the goalies get a pass for their poor play because of the lockout, shortened training camp, etc. Last I checked a lot of the skaters were in the same boat. It's just an excuse though that people try to turn into an argument.

Once again, the goaltending brought the team down.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-20-2013, 05:19 PM
  #48
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Point is, when a goalie has a save percentage that is around .850 or whatever the hell Elliott's was, I will not blame that on the team in front of him. Sorry bout it.

BlueDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 01:54 AM
  #49
CitizenSnips
TheFightingMongooses
 
CitizenSnips's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis
Country: United States
Posts: 408
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Do you realize how circular this reasoning is? No my point is not mute, because the team didn't drop the ball. Elliott did, and if you can't see that then I'm sorry. I can also blame the team's poor play on how awful Elliott was. It's probably hard to stay confident and play well when your goalie lets in 3 goals a game that are softer than a baby's poop.

The Blues got off to a 6-1 start. Honestly, the team's poor play is blown way out of proportion. Yes, they struggled a bit defensively, but they were not playing that bad. It's still the goaltender's fault to make stops especially when they aren't even facing that money shots, and they failed to do that. Fact. The Blues started losing mostly because they were giving up 5 goals a game. The goaltending was completely awful.

It's also funny how the goalies get a pass for their poor play because of the lockout, shortened training camp, etc. Last I checked a lot of the skaters were in the same boat. It's just an excuse though that people try to turn into an argument.

Once again, the goaltending brought the team down.
You are putting the team and Elliott in different categories. The point is they played bad in front of him and he was not able to stand on his head to keep the team in it. They completely lost confidence in him and as a direct result of lack of strong defensive play, he played like complete garbage.

You can be sorry, but it doesn't change the fact that this is a team game. A goaltender cannot win a game on his own and when a team lets the goalie down or the goalie lets the team down, the result is the same. If a goalie lets up 1 goal and the result is a 2-1 win, its a team effort and the same goes for a goalie letting up 4 and getting a 5-4 win. When a player is down, the rest of the team should be there to pick him back up and the Blues did NOT do that for Elliott.

Who is giving anyone a pass here? I for one am doing the opposite. There is no pass as every team has the same issues.

Again, I am not defending Elliotts poor play, I am stating that you have to remember there is an entire team that should be taking the blame for bad play and credit for great play.

CitizenSnips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-21-2013, 05:09 AM
  #50
Robb_K
Registered User
 
Robb_K's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NordHolandNethrlands
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
A little off topic in this thread but since somebody brought up Allen and Binnington on the wolves...

Can players be loaned to other AHL clubs if there is no spot for them on the current roster? I'm guessing the answer is no, but I am curious. I remember we used to have Dallas prospects on the Rivermen, but I think that was due to them not having a team at all, right?
Yes, they can be loaned to AHL teams that currently don't have a working agreement with the loaning team. That was always normal practise in NHL/AHL relations as far as I remember. That commonly occurs when the loaning team's AHL or top minor league affiliate's roster is filled, and their 2nd tier minor league affiliate's roster is also filled, OR if the 2nd tier affiliate's level is too low for the player, so that his playing there rather than in The AHL, would stunt his development. This was done most often with extra goaltenders, but also done quite a bit with defencemen and forwards from NHL teams who had an unusual overstock of quality prospects.

The Habs loaned goaltender Michelle Plasse to The K.C. Blues', Rangers loaned Sheldon Kannegieser to K.C. Blues. The Blues loaned some players to Rangers' AHL Buffalo affilate when K.C.'s roster was filled. Blues loaned a few extra players to Denver (WHL) before making an official working agreement with them, when their K.C. roster was full.

Of course, there has to be an AHL team with space for the loanrd players, and their management willing to take on loaned players, with the reasoning that the loaned players will help their team, and also not impede the development of any players owned by their parent team.

It looks like The Blues will have too many goaltenders to stock St. Louis, Wolves AND Evansville. So, they will probably loan one to an AHL team that has roster space. They might do this EVEN if there was a place at Evansville, IF that back-up position there wouldn't provide the goalie (t.e.-say-Karpowich), a decent level of competition to move his career forward (e.g. his current playing level is too high calibre for that league).

Robb_K is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.