HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Who will be the most active come FA day?

Old
04-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Robert Theodorson

vCash: 500
The Devils need to be the most aggresive without a doubt in my mind. They have no equal when it comes to sucking down the stretch. The offense resembles that of a pee-wee team without Kovalchuk.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Method Man
Bring the Pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Nobody will sign there though. Players prefer to sign with teams that might make the playoffs without them, not teams that need them to compete for the playoffs. Only major overpayments will get players to Calgary this summer.
this is the type of summer where they could though, alot of the top teams will have very limited cap space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
they should just face the facts and re-build. Hudler and Wideman are not going to fix any problems.
Who said Hudler & Wideman were going to fix anything? The Flames are rebuilding, they just aren't going to roll over and accept a losing atmosphere like certain other teams have.

Method Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:16 AM
kihei

vCash: 900
Edmonton has to do something. I don't think they can afford another year like this one.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Altimus
Probably drunk

Send a message via AIM to Altimus Send a message via MSN to Altimus
Some how the Rangers will be and I suspect Detroit as well

Altimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:25 AM
NYR1967

I'm sure Sather is just salivating to grossly overpay someone.

Edit: Upon reflection, I need to get hired by this guy. Get grossly overpaid to do a job I'm not qualified for, and what's more, I can spend most days at home phoning it in? Sign me up!

Last edited by NYR1967: 04-16-2013 at 07:56 AM.
NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:35 AM
masterson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
With what $$$?
The same money they spend every year in July. Are you serious? Must be new to rangers hockey

masterson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterson View Post
The same money they spend every year in July. Are you serious? Must be new to rangers hockey
Cap space, not necessarily money. Rangers have about ~15M in cap space going into next season, but a number of guys to resign.

McDonagh has to be resigned: 4M+
Stepan: 3-4M+
Hagelin: 2.5M+

After that, they'd still need to sign two defencemen and another 1-2 forwards, with about 5M to get those 3-4 guys signed. I can't really see the Rangers being very active at all. Even trying to resign Clowe looks next to impossible unless they move some salary.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:54 AM
NYR1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Cap space, not necessarily money. Rangers have about ~15M in cap space going into next season, but a number of guys to resign.

McDonagh has to be resigned: 4M+
Stepan: 3-4M+
Hagelin: 2.5M+

After that, they'd still need to sign two defencemen and another 1-2 forwards, with about 5M to get those 3-4 guys signed. I can't really see the Rangers being very active at all. Even trying to resign Clowe looks next to impossible unless they move some salary.
Why would they want to? He's played one good game.

NYR1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:04 AM
madmike77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceonfire View Post
Calgary, bet on it.

They have cap space now to over pay free agents and drive the market up.
No I think they're committed to a longer-term rebuild. They will be somewhat active, but only because they have to be - even after they sign their RFAs they'll likely be under the cap floor, so they'll need to bring in 1-2 FAs.

Last edited by madmike77: 04-16-2013 at 08:46 AM.
madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:08 AM
x Tame Impala

Detroit absolutely. Especially if Detroit misses the playoffs, Holland will probably be under a lot of pressure to get things done.

x Tame Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:48 AM
RangerBoy
HOPE & CHANGE

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterson View Post
You must not be able to add numbers.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Detroit absolutely. Especially if Detroit misses the playoffs, Holland will probably be under a lot of pressure to get things done.
I seriously doubt that Detroit will be all that active in Free Agency, There going to resign Smith, Kindl, Brunner. Nyquist, Anderson. Detroit has $12.6 million left to sign 5 more players and Smith, Kindl, Brunner, Nyquist and Anderson combined will eat about $8.0 million of that. The only one i could see the Wings go after if he's available is David Clarkson other then that most of Detroits signings will be enternaly.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:05 AM
KeninsFan
Fire Benning already

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Edmonton has to do something. I don't think they can afford another year like this one.
What a great year to build through the FA market.

Tons of quality players who need to be shipped out from cap teams or players being bought out. There's no top end talent but EDM doesn't need that anyways.

KeninsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:08 AM
njdevil26
I hate avocados

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
The Devils need to be the most aggresive without a doubt in my mind. They have no equal when it comes to sucking down the stretch. The offense resembles that of a pee-wee team without Kovalchuk.
You're right about that. Elias, Clarkson, Zubrus, Henrique, Loktionov, Zidlicky, Harrold, Tedenby, Josefson, and more need to be re-signed PLUS Lou needs to badly upgrade the offense.

njdevil26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:13 PM
TylerSVT*

I dont know why people are saying Edmonton.

Their whole off season plan is to "Insert rookie into lineup..... profit?"

They have no plan.

TylerSVT* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:24 PM
stoff

Definitely Calgary. They are going to be going hard after everyone, especially recently bought out players who will flood the market.

stoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:26 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike77 View Post
No I think they're committed to a longer-term rebuild. They will be somewhat active, but only because they have to be - even after they sign their RFAs they'll likely be under the cap floor, so they'll need to bring in 1-2 FAs.
Longer term rebuild? Where'd you hear that? Feaster said he was told to make the playoffs next year. He has been adamant that they wouldn't do a long rebuild.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:31 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerSVT View Post
I dont know why people are saying Edmonton.

Their whole off season plan is to "Insert rookie into lineup..... profit?"

They have no plan.
MacT said they are going to be aggressive and make risky/bold moves this offseason. Leads alot of people to believe they will be players in FA but i think it's more likely to be trades.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Definitely Calgary. They are going to be going hard after everyone, especially recently bought out players who will flood the market.
Agreed.

Calgary will target Iginla (Yep), Clowe, Roy, etc.. for forwards.

They will also look to add two additional defencemen. At least one will be an aging vet signed to a large but short term deal. They will trade this guy at the deadline if they are not in contention.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
And if they are active it will be focusing on UFA's that are at least under 30 years in age to help with the rebuild over time and in positions where the Flames are weaker - Center.

I think the Flames will take a good run at Filppula, Roy or Bozak as they meet the criteria as per above.

Then after that, they can fill out the team with some other signings of players under 30 like Fistric perhaps or O'Byrne.

Whether anyone is attracted to Calgary anymore as a UFA is a good question

One one hand - the team doesn't exactly look like a winner where guys want to play. However with the cap dropping next year; lots of competitive teams won't be looking to add big or even any $ in the off season which is something new.

Which leads to the other hand - Calgary is probably willing to pay a little more than most given the cap space the team has available.

Should be an interesting and unique FA period
To bad the crop is somewhat disappointing (and why I am a tad scared about the Flames being big spenders)

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
blankall

Quote:
You won't see this.

Calgary's group of young players is really underated. They already have Baertschi, Backlund, and Brodie. They'll add 3 1st round picks this year (one likely to be top 4).

You'll see the Flames following the models of Montreal/Toronto, where a genuine attempt to compete is made each year. The Edmonton style rebuild is not happening in Calgary.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

I remember when the Pens were supposed to be very active last year and then they came away from UFA with Tanner Glass and that was it. Thankfully Shero made up for it at the deadline this year.

I'd imagine Calgary will be very active this year after ridding themselves of two big contracts in Bouwmeester and Iggy.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:41 PM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I remember when the Pens were supposed to be very active last year and then they came away from UFA with Tanner Glass and that was it. Thankfully Shero made up for it at the deadline this year.

I'd imagine Calgary will be very active this year after ridding themselves of two big contracts in Bouwmeester and Iggy.
If Kipper retires as the rumors suggest, that is approx $19.5M in cap space when you include those 3 guys

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
IranCondraAffair

I predict Calgary and Phoenix to be the most active in terms of players added/moved/etc in the offseason.

As for the team I know best, Ottawa, they could be active...or they could do nothing. Given how many players they have looking for NHL spots next year in the forwards corps they will only likely be re-signing two of Alfredsson/Regin/Latendresse and will be shedding contracts instead of adding.

Alfredsson is a given to re-sign if he wants to. If he doesn't, and Lats and Regin don't want to stay (or get better offers) then Ottawa will likely go after at least one veteran forward if everyone leaves.

On defence, it is again up to one of Ottawa's Free Agents to determine what they want to do. Gonchar has been EXACTLY what the Senators needed as their #3 D. Again however, Gonchar could retire or get a better offer elsewhere. If he wants to stay, a 1-2 year contact and Ottawa will likely stay pat on defence.

Ottawa will be spending somewhere around 50 million next season based on revenues and

IranCondraAffair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:43 PM
couture23

I think Buffalo will be on draft day, but the Alberta teams and Columbus will be on July 1st.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote