HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greatest leaf all time ?

Old
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crkkh View Post
Almost agree with this...need to add Gilmour, Clark, Sundin and of course Keon...

The best according to era?...

Original...Syl Apps (been told he was amazing)
Middle...Dave Keon (my personal favourite...4 cups...Lady Byng/Calder/Conn Smythe)
Modern...Sundin (wonderful player...not his fault who he was given to play with)

Can't compare the best of each era against each other...the era's were too different...so I won't try...
Although his life/carreer was cut short, Bill Barilko was a beast.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Katani Kalan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liferleafer View Post
Lol...when you get your drivers liscence, you should take a drive to the Hockey Hall of Fame....
LOL I must agree. For players I saw must say Gilmour that guy had it all and loved being a Leaf. However best player of all has to be Keon. A great player who also raised the cup 4 times!! Keon hands down.

Katani Kalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
Liferleafer
Bob's assclown

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchairgmvancouver View Post
LOL I must agree. For players I saw must say Gilmour that guy had it all and loved being a Leaf. However best player of all has to be Keon. A great player who also raised the cup 4 times!! Keon hands down.
Gilmour was great here, Sundin, Roberts, Clark...a host of other newer era guys as well. Hockey is much different now than it was in the 50's/60's...guys like Keon played with broken ribs, Baun on a broken ankle, Bower stopping pucks with his face. The game was meaner/tougher then. Guys that wore the Blue and White did it for love,pride and very little money. If you weren't a top name, you had to work another job as well as play hockey.

I love today's faster game, it's very exciting. But my heroes will always be the guys who paved the way. Keon, The big "M", Baun, Bower, Sawchuck, Harris, Teeder, Apps, Horton, Brewer...etc...etc.

Liferleafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
blue82
BELEAF (win or lose)

in my generation... biggest impact players were gilmour, clark, sundin, and cujo

blue82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:26 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Gilmour was great here, Sundin, Roberts, Clark...a host of other newer era guys as well. Hockey is much different now than it was in the 50's/60's...guys like Keon played with broken ribs, Baun on a broken ankle, Bower stopping pucks with his face. The game was meaner/tougher then. Guys that wore the Blue and White did it for love,pride and very little money. If you weren't a top name, you had to work another job as well as play hockey.

I love today's faster game, it's very exciting. But my heroes will always be the guys who paved the way. Keon, The big "M", Baun, Bower, Sawchuck, Harris, Teeder, Apps, Horton, Brewer...etc...etc.

The old boys were defiantly more heart and soul then the guys around the game today. Back then it was for love and glory, today its all about how much you can get on your next contract.

The best leaf for me would probably be Gilmour, not because he had the better career in Toronto but because he's the best I have seen play in Toronto. Clark was special and if he didn't have to fight the leagues tough guys every night he would have probably been up a lot higher on the list, Clark was a special player a throw back to the old days when your teams top players could do it all, (Fight, score, hit).

In saying this tho there is no doubt that just because I haven't seen them play guys like Sittler, Mcdonald, Salming, Keon, Dye, Kennedy, Jackson, Clancy, Horton, Conacher, Mahovlich, Apps etc etc weren't the best. But for me the best is that player who keeps you on the edge of your seat, when they step out onto the ice you know something special is going to happen. It's been a while since I had that feeling watching the leafs and I never really had that with Sundin though he did some special things in his career in Toronto.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:53 PM
Leaf Forever

To pick the greatest Leaf would be easy if that player had scoring numbers and awards like some of the greatest in league history but we do not. I thought the idea of selecting from an era was clever for that makes it easier to make a pick. The 1912-1937 had Harry Cameron, D and Babe Dye F, from 1937-1960 Syl Apps Sr F, from 1960 to 1992 Dave Keon F honourable mention Frank Mahovlich, Darryl Sittler and Borje Salming, from 1992 to Present Doug Gilmour yes, thou he lacked tenure and Mats Sundin for tenure and scoring records. Around 1987 a number of hockey minds and journalists made their picks for the greatest Leaf and some chose Ted Kennedy, great leader a pre-Bobby Clarke(effort), the consummate Maple Leaf, some looked to Syl Apps, smooth skater, great leader and scorer. a pre-Jean Beliveau, some considered Dave Keon and lastly Frank Mahovlich the Big M our version of Bobby Hull who unfortunately was mis-used by Punch Imlach. My vote is for Syl Apps yes a different era, a different style of game but the greatest can play in any era because of their greatness. My vote was influenced by what my late parents told me having watched him at the Gardens from 1946-1948 and from what I have read of NHL history and what I have watched live of hockey games from 1959.

Leaf Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
Captn Crunch

I was a huge Gary Leeman fan and was upset when he was part of the pAckage traded to Calgary to get Gilmour. However Gilmour quickly became my favorite Leaf

Captn Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:26 PM
PeeBee78

Vesa Toskala.

/THREAD

PeeBee78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:38 PM
LadyLeaf

I would definately have to say Gilmour.

LadyLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Confucius

Frank Mahovlich
Scored 48 goals in 1961, when 20 was considered a big deal. Led the team in goals scored for all 3 of the. Cup winning years, 1962, 1963 and 1964.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:44 PM
Melrose's Mullet

Since this is a nostalgic thread I figured I'd bring this up in here (doesn't merit it's own). How cool would it be if the cities of Toronto and Montreal had kept Maple Leaf Gardens and the Forum in tact (i.e. in their original states) and allowed the NHL to host back-to-back Saturday night games in both stadiums once per season?

I understand that reality could never have allowed for it, but think about how outstanding that would be. One game between the two at the Forum and one at MLG, each on a Saturday night, HNIC, traditional sweaters, etc.

If there is another thread that this is more applicable to I will move it there. Apologies.

Melrose's Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:02 PM
mattehaus

There is a reason my son's middle name is Felix, Potvin for me was a special player.

mattehaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

I would say Gilmour. The 92-93 season and playoffs he had was probably the best season for a leaf.

I love Mats because I grew up watching him, but I think he was around at a terrible time for the leafs and for most of his prime seasons was a one man team.

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:29 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Probably Dave Keon.

With regards to your post, Gilmour definitely lacks tenure, though it is worth noting the reason he is so popular is that at his most successful, he blew anything Sundin even dreamed of out of the water. One of the most dominant stretches of hockey I have seen by any player (and I've been an avid follower for 4 decades) - certainly any Leaf player.
That sums it up quite nicely.

Should have had 2 Hart trophies while he was here. And he did it all being only about 165lbs soaking wet.

Atta boy Killer!

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Kennedy or Keon

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:09 PM
TheProspector

It's great that the Leafs have history, but stuff that happened when there were just six teams - just one more than is in our DIVISION! - before I was born simply isn't that relevant.

The best Leafs are from the 90s and early 2000s.

TheProspector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:31 PM
6 8 5 13

Quote:
Lol...when you get your drivers liscence, you should take a drive to the Hockey Hall of Fame....
It's pretty obvious they were being sarcastic...

6 8 5 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:41 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
This thread needs more Ted Kennedy.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
AvroArrow
#CaptainMorgan

He might not have won a cup but Sundin. PPG over his career and was dominant every single year.

AvroArrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
BlueStorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp71 View Post
This thread needs more Ted Kennedy.

I agree!

In order to be considered as one of the greatest Leafs of all time you should have, at the very least, won an award as a Leaf. Like maybe a Stanley Cup or four along with all of those other awards. Olympic gold for a foreign country does not count

BlueStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:04 PM
charliolemieux
rsTmf

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStorm View Post
I agree!

In order to be considered as one of the greatest Leafs of all time you should have, at the very least, won an award as a Leaf. Like maybe a Stanley Cup or four along with all of those other awards. Olympic gold for a foreign country does not count
Lot easier to win an award like the Stanley Cup, when only 6 teams are in the league and only 4 end up with a shot at it.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:06 PM
The Winter Soldier

In terms of longevity, Sittler was the greatest Leaf I saw play.

For a 2 year stretch, Gilmour.

Best player overall from start to finish Sundin.

The Winter Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Lot easier to win an award like the Stanley Cup, when only 6 teams are in the league and only 4 end up with a shot at it.
The guy also is only one of two Leafs to win a Hart and also the last.

tp71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
BraveCanadian

Apps, Keon, Gilmour are all good choices.

BraveCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:11 PM
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Tell the Hawks, Bruins, and Rangers that. They won 9 combined during 06, and considering the Habs and Wings were powerhouses before, during and after most of those Leafs cup wins...well. It's irreverent to suggest a major part of hockey history should be ignored because you know nothing about it.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote