HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Konan returned to ADR (Apr. 17); Brandon Manning recalled (Apr. 16)

Old
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ticket View Post
dont you think "high" is exagerrating just a little.
No...

Quote:
he needs more work in the ahl. nothing worng with that. play top minutes on the top pair next year down on the farm. they had no choice i suppose in calling him up as i would have rather had him stay in the ahl. I hope he fgeos to a skating coach this offseason to imporve.

He was a 7th round project type pick. anyone even with expectations other than him being a 6 dman is being silly.
Skating is not so easily improved, and on top of that, Lauridsen has already come miles in that department from where he was.

There isn't some limitless improvement curve on his skating. At some point, he's just not going to be able to get significantly better at it.

He's Maroon without the hands. The only reason Maroon was a real forward prospect was because he had golden hands around the net. Lauridsen is slow and handles the puck like a grenade. Two different positions, but my point remains clear.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No...
Define your verison of people were high on him please.

well who was high on him? the orginization? if so who? the fans? fans on these boards? the beat writers lol? I dont recall many on these boards getitng all gaga over him while lurking around. most if not all had tapered expectations and hoped he just panned out as a bottom pairing guy. i guess that is being high on him these days.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:50 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Define your verison of people were high on him please.

well who was high on him? the orginization? if so who? the fans? fans on these boards? the beat writers lol? I dont recall many on these boards getitng all gaga over him while lurking around. most if not all had tapered expectations and hoped he just panned out as a bottom pairing guy. i guess that is being high on him these days.

Look, if you believe that I'm claiming people around him were calling him a sure-fire NHLer, then you're exaggerating

Honestly though, people in general were pretty high on him. In particular, I remember a lot of this coming after a Meltzer article detailing him.

People were particularly excited about him making the jump to the AHL as well, far more than a number of other comparable prospects on his level from various leagues.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to like the guy. People seemed to like him and got excited about his potential.

There are other players I do that for. I never saw it in Lauridsen.

Last edited by SnS: 04-16-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 02:54 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Source: Philadelphia Flyers Official Twitter @NHLFlyers
Not the biggest Gervais fan, but seriously? Can we ice an entire line-up yet with everyone that we have on the IR?

Could you imagine if we were actually on our way to the playoffs? Our entire blueline would be made up of the Phantoms

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:00 PM
jb**

Quote:
Yes you are.

You're just trying to get a rise out of me. I wish you'd knock it off.
get a rise out of you? Why the hell would i care about getting a rise out of you? who are you again? your comical.

I am having a conversation making valid points and i guess you dont like my opinion i suppose. Deflection again.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:

Look, if you believe that I'm claiming people around him were calling him a sure-fire NHLer, then you're exaggerating

Honestly though, people in general were pretty high on him. In particular, I remember a lot of this coming after a Meltzer article detailing him.

People were particularly excited about him making the jump to the AHL as well, far more than a number of other comparable prospects on his level from various leagues.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to like the guy. People seemed to like him and got excited about his potential.

There are other players I do that for. I never saw it in Lauridsen.
Meltzer said he was probably the second coming of David Printz. I don't think any reasonable fan could read that comparison and be high on him.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Not the biggest Gervais fan, but seriously? Can we ice an entire line-up yet with everyone that we have on the IR?

Could you imagine if we were actually on our way to the playoffs? Our entire blueline would be made up of the Phantoms
Coburn-Grossmann
Mez-Gervais
Huskins

You can add Pronger, Walker, and Bourdon in there if you want to count them.

If either Manning/Konan play, the Flyers will have used more D-men this season (13), than they did during all of last year (12).

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
A lot of people were high on Lauridsen, but I never really saw it.

There have been some players without real footspeed who could compete well at the NHL level; Lauridsen is not one of them.
I'd say people were only "high" on him because of his size.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

I don't really remmeber anyone being "high" on him. Most people realized he wouldnt turn into more than just a bottom pairing defenseman if he can work on his skating. As it stands, he's on the right track to reaching his potential.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
I don't really remmeber anyone being "high" on him. Most people realized he wouldnt turn into more than just a bottom pairing defenseman if he can work on his skating. As it stands, he's on the right track to reaching his potential.
Then maybe I mistook people being excited about him turning pro as "being high on" him.

Really it boils down to a petty argument about semantics.

Who cares?

Point is Lauridsen has already achieved far more than I expected him to. That's awesome for him, but I'm still doubtful he has the potential to play consistently at the NHL level, even in a 6 slot.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:42 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
You seriously need to stop. I'm dead ****ing serious.

What you're doing is not cool, and your comment was not appreciated in its context.

did you get to see Lars play at all when he was coming up? was he a standout in his league or just your average 7th rounder.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:45 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
did you get to see Lars play at all when he was coming up? was he a standout in his league or just your average 7th rounder.
Honestly, I think he did really well considering.

When he was drafted, I pretty much wrote him off as a project that would not really do much. He was boom/bust and had significant skating issues.

As I said before, he's come miles from where he was. He even got a contract before I thought the Flyers would look his way. I expected him to do four years at St. Cloud State.

The kid has a great work ethic and has done a lot to get here. I'd be thrilled if he could replace Grossmann down the road as our defensive guy on the third pairing, but I see a lot of that old and tattered version of Kubina in him. Because of that, I don't see him sticking.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:16 PM
PF

Quote:
Then maybe I mistook people being excited about him turning pro as "being high on" him.

Really it boils down to a petty argument about semantics.

Who cares?

Point is Lauridsen has already achieved far more than I expected him to. That's awesome for him, but I'm still doubtful he has the potential to play consistently at the NHL level, even in a 6 slot.
There probably were a couple of people who thought he could do a job at the NHL and were high on him but honestly it seems every one of our prospects has their supporters as most of the posters here have personal favourites.

Except Klotz. No one liked Klotz.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

It's not hard to improve skating, if you have played at a high level for hockey you know that you need to improve your skating and stride and it can be done. It's not hard at all actually. If Oliver takes the time in the offseason to work on skating, maybe do some powerskating, he could adapt to the NHL game. Also I love how everyone was saying Lauridsen was doing okay as a 6th Dman but call for him to be scratched after one bad game. Weren't yous all upset about how Gustafson gets pulled everytime he messes up and doesn't get a chance to prove himself. Just thinkin out loud.

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Clerk View Post
It's not hard to improve skating, if you have played at a high level for hockey you know that you need to improve your skating and stride and it can be done. It's not hard at all actually. If Oliver takes the time in the offseason to work on skating, maybe do some powerskating, he could adapt to the NHL game. Also I love how everyone was saying Lauridsen was doing okay as a 6th Dman but call for him to be scratched after one bad game. Weren't yous all upset about how Gustafson gets pulled everytime he messes up and doesn't get a chance to prove himself. Just thinkin out loud.
He was taking some dumb *** penalties during the Buffalo game too.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
To say skating is not hard to improve is to really simplify things.

A lot of work can be put into skating, and drastic improvements can obviously be made. Lauridsen is already a testament to this.

However, for you to believe that Lauridsen can reasonably get to the level he needs to be at is another thing. He was already working up from the bottom, and the more you improve the harder it gets to improve more and more.

Lauridsen is certainly by no stretch of the imagination a natural skater. His size coupled with this is not going to make things easy for him.

Is what he faces insurmountable? No, but it's not as easy as you seem to be claiming it to be.

Otherwise why the hell didn't Bourdon and Maroon do all of this skating work to become guaranteed NHLers?

Old
04-16-2013, 04:46 PM
McNasty

Lauridsen has been showing improvement, his first 4 or 5 games the penalties he was taking were a lot of obstruction violations. Currently the penalties he's getting nailed for, are typically aggression penalties and I think as he continues to play he'll get more experience and be able to toe the line better. Not saying he's going to be a stud or anything, but I don't think he's played bad enough to warrant a scratch.

McNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 04:47 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
He was taking some dumb *** penalties during the Buffalo game too.
True but he's young, why can't he be taught to control himself and use it to his advantage, it worked with Rinaldo.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:50 PM
jb**

Quote:

A lot of work can be put into skating, and drastic improvements can obviously be made. Lauridsen is already a testament to this.

However, for you to believe that Lauridsen can reasonably get to the level he needs to be at is another thing. He was already working up from the bottom, and the more you improve the harder it gets to improve more and more.

Lauridsen is certainly by no stretch of the imagination a natural skater. His size coupled with this is not going to make things easy for him.

Is what he faces insurmountable? No, but it's not as easy as you seem to be claiming it to be.

Otherwise why the hell didn't Bourdon and Maroon do all of this skating work to become guaranteed NHLers?
because it isnt just their skating that is the problem. they are not that good. We shall see about oliver but he will probably fall into the wayside like those 2. Why do you keep bringing up maroon?

Old
04-16-2013, 04:53 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
True but he's young, why can't he be taught to control himself and use it to his advantage, it worked with Rinaldo.
I never said it can't be taught. He really shouldn't even be on the roster right now if it wasn't for injuries. He still needs some work down in the minors.

Edit: Don't read that as me taking a shot at him. He's still learning the game and needs some seasoning. I really have no expectations for him but I do think he could become a solid bottom pairing defensemen if everything clicks with him.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:00 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:

It's called work ethic and drive, whether Lauridsen desires to improve himself or not, he still has the ability to. He's obviously athletic, he's in the NHL. I'm not sure where you get the idea that the more you improve it gets harder to improve. I remember watching Claude Giroux in 07-08 when he was called up to play two games and his skating was awful. It looked like he didn't belong on NHL ice. Mind you this is already after he put up 106 points in 55 games in the Q. And to me that's a pretty high level to improve upon, which he did. Not saying it's easy, but it's not some crazy 'skating work' there's drills, techniques, and with enough practice it comes more naturally, just like with anything. And I don't have any answers to the last question except other than Bourdon's cup of coffee, he didn't really have much time to prove himself with his injuries. Maroon actually signed a 2 year contract extension with Anaheim if I remember correctly so it's looking like he may be on his way.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:01 PM
A Clerk
Schennergy

Quote:
I never said it can't be taught. He really shouldn't even be on the roster right now if it wasn't for injuries. He still needs some work down in the minors.

Edit: Don't read that as me taking a shot at him. He's still learning the game and needs some seasoning. I really have no expectations for him but I do think he could become a solid bottom pairing defensemen if everything clicks with him.
Oh I agree, he definitely needs to be in the minors rounding out his game

Old
04-16-2013, 05:05 PM
Prongo
Beer

It never surprises me when young defenders take a lot of bad penalties for hooking/holding/tripping because of the time they need to adjust. It's much faster in the NHL than in the AHL, so they make up for their lack of game speed by clutching/grabbing/stick work. Once he settles down, he will start to use that size better. He won't get beat wide or have to catch up to the play as much when he is positionally sound. I like Lars, and think he can become a good 5-6 with the right development and time.

It always seems the Flyers bring defenseman along the right way when drafted in later rounds. They need to start taking this mentality to higher picks now. Just because he is picked in the top 10(like this year possibly) he shouldn't be thrown right into the NHL.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:17 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
I like both Lauridsen and Gus. I've been clamoring for both to get more playing time. Really happy with Gus. I feel like he's proving me right with each shift. Oliver is getting beaten a bit due to slowness - especially when a guy takes him outside, but needs to get familiar with how to compensate for lack of speed with better positioning and backskating. He may never pan out, but he needs games. Still see him as a very very backend guy on a bad team.
Big guys need more time to figure that stuff out. From whatever seen i think he looks good

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
I know Manning needed to change his number, but why the urgency to change Konan's number from his training camp number? Do the Flyers think they're like halfway to the Devils where they won't want skaters wearing numbers above 49 unless they're an established player?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote