HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How's Luke Schenn doing?

Old
04-13-2013, 07:53 PM
clap bomb 16

vCash: 500
The Flyers lost this trade. People don't want to admit it. If we were going to trade JVR, it should have been for a guy like Yandle or Boumeester. The Blues gave up less to get Jay-Bo then we did to get Schenn. That falls on Homer

clap bomb 16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2013, 11:52 PM
JGalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie 1 Parent View Post
The Flyers lost this trade. People don't want to admit it. If we were going to trade JVR, it should have been for a guy like Yandle or Boumeester. The Blues gave up less to get Jay-Bo then we did to get Schenn. That falls on Homer
I'll take Luke over Bouw 8 days a week.

JGalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 02:51 AM
Kyle93
LL4Life

I'm glad that Schenn has been doing well with you guys, it was honestly a good trade for both teams. I think it was just his weight gain and playing under Ron Wilson's run and gun system that made him look worse than he actually was while playing on the leafs. I do miss his physicality and the fact he was a right-handed D because that's what the leafs are lacking atm. I have been really liking JVR so far as well, it's been nice having him with Kessel so that we can split Lupul (When healthy ) and Kessel up so we have more than one legitimate scoring line.

Kyle93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Bouwmeester is 29 with a 6.8 million cap hit and is an UFA after next season.
Schenn is 23 and is signed to 3.5 million cap hit for 3 more years.

Edit: A better comparison would be what the Coyotes got for Kyle Turris (who's value was probably lower than JVR's at the time).

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 09:48 AM
Tripod

Schenn will never win vs JVR because JVR is seen in the sexy stats. But let's look at Schenn's for a bit:
#1 in the league in hits for D-man with 152. Next 3 are 131, 129 and 114.
#20 in blocked shots
Only Flyers D-man that has a positive +/- at +1

This is why they Flyers got him. I would say it this way...what more could Philly realistically ask from Schenn that he has not done? This trade will always look bad on paper...but Schenn has improved as much as JVR. It just doesn't show it on the sexy stats.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:51 AM
starbuck97

He gets beat a little too often because of his foot speed. On a good team he should settle in as a solid #4 guy, but is overexposed on a first pairing.

starbuck97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 12:57 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbuck97 View Post
He gets beat a little too often because of his foot speed. On a good team he should settle in as a solid #4 guy, but is overexposed on a first pairing.
Like just about anyone else, his partner makes a big difference. As is, Timmo no longer possess the speed that you would ideal want in a PMD type that you paired with Schenn.

The defense that has L. Schenn (at least this years version) as the number 4 is probably amongst the best in the league. He brings a lot more than your average number 4 in terms of hitting and shot blocking.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:51 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Only thing matt Carle is good at is his first pass and keeping the puck in the offensive zone. He's subpar at literally everything else.
I agree. Luke had a terrible game last night. He only played 33:25 with 5 hits and 4 blocks with a minus 1. The guy was a horse.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:07 AM
Anth93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Schenn will never win vs JVR because JVR is seen in the sexy stats. But let's look at Schenn's for a bit:
#1 in the league in hits for D-man with 152. Next 3 are 131, 129 and 114.
#20 in blocked shots
Only Flyers D-man that has a positive +/- at +1

This is why they Flyers got him. I would say it this way...what more could Philly realistically ask from Schenn that he has not done? This trade will always look bad on paper...but Schenn has improved as much as JVR. It just doesn't show it on the sexy stats.
I'm not so sure this is accurate.

When Luke Schenn is playing with confidence, he's not seen as a guy without "sexy stats".. He's seen as a guy who will shut down top lines and hustle/make hits that can drop your jaw.

JVR is our 4th best forward right now. If Luke Schenn is your 2nd/3rd best D like some say.. What's wrong with that?

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:14 AM
Psuhockey

Luke Schenn is turning into what he was projected to be: Adam Foote. Adam Foote was an anchor on Colorado's defensive pair so guys like Sandis Ozolinsh and later Rob Blake and Ray Bourque could play easier offensive minutes. Giving him a number, like 2nd pair defenseman or a #4, doesn't really do him justice because he will have a specific role to stop other teams top line while a more offensively gifted defensemen, like a Yandle or Gostibehere in the future, would look like a 1st pair guy because they will put up all the points but in reality have 2nd rate defensive assignments.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 08:16 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
When the Flyers traded for Schenn, the overwhelming sentiment was that the Flyers were in need of a shut-down, young defenseman, with top pairing potential. The Flyers got exactly that and Schenn has not disappointed. I know that JVR is dominating in Toronto right now with his Earth-shattering 30 point sin 42 games, but Luke Schenn has been arguably the team's best defender for a good part of this season. This trade was not a loss. It was an even trade. Both teams got what they wanted (the Flyers, a young, high-ceiling defender...the Leafs, a young, hich-ceiling winger).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:05 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Well we got a player on his way up, not down. His performace against the Canadians was clear that he's the best Dman on this team. I respectfully disagree. We got a player who will be here for a while.

HighOFFHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

JVR is obviously more skilled than L Schenn but the latter is more of a workhorse that is for sure. Seeing good development from Schenn..I like his grit/snarl compared to JVR who gets motivated and dominate in "spurts." JVR still needs to put it all together on a more consistent basis although he's looked pretty good in Toronto for the most part. Schenn should be a very strong stay at home D for a good number of years if he remains healthy of course.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:50 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
JVR is obviously more skilled than L Schenn but the latter is more of a workhorse that is for sure. Seeing good development from Schenn..I like his grit/snarl compared to JVR who gets motivated and dominate in "spurts." JVR still needs to put it all together on a more consistent basis although he's looked pretty good in Toronto for the most part. Schenn should be a very strong stay at home D for a good number of years if he remains healthy of course.
Schenn is exactly what this team needed. Now we need a scoring defender.
Coburn + Read for Yandle?

Old
04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I totally disagree. Jay-Bo? Give me a break.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
I agree. Luke had a terrible game last night. He only played 33:25 with 5 hits and 4 blocks with a minus 1. The guy was a horse.
I don't understand why this was directed at me? I'm a big fan of Luke

Anyway, Luke was great last night. I'm really surprised at his development this year. It's really encouraging and I often forget how young he still is. He's going to be a great shutdown defenseman for a long time in the nhl, he's only going to get better still.

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
I don't understand why this was directed at me? I'm a big fan of Luke

Anyway, Luke was great last night. I'm really surprised at his development this year. It's really encouraging and I often forget how young he still is. He's going to be a great shutdown defenseman for a long time in the nhl, he's only going to get better still.
Yeah, he's very solid. If he can improve his shot from the point and gain a little more speed. He might end up being a legit #1.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOFFHockey View Post
Yeah, he's very solid. If he can improve his shot from the point and gain a little more speed. He might end up being a legit #1.
I don't think he'll ever be a legit #1. However I do think he can become a top-pairing defensemen as a nice complimentary piece next to a #1 guy.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
Krishna

Yeah, as much as I like luke, he will never be a #1 D man

He just doesn't have the offense for it

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:06 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I don't think he'll ever be a legit #1. However I do think he can become a top-pairing defensemen as a nice complimentary piece next to a #1 guy.
Basically what we hoped Coburn would turn into.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:08 PM
Krishna

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Basically what we hoped Coburn would turn into.
Coburn has better offensive skills though

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:13 PM
tade

Luke is freaking good for us just like JVR in Toronto. This trade benefits to both teams as it was supposed to be. Luke and JVR will be important keys for both teams in many years to come. I'm really impressed with Luke this season. He started a bit slow but he turned things around a lot. He's definitely a 2nd best d-man for us this season. That 33 minutes game yesterday, wow. At the age of 23 he's still developing and I'm looking forward for the future with him on our blue-line.

People really should stop talking about who lost this trade because there is no losing team at this point.

tade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:14 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
At this point I'm not even sure about that. 28/19/16/24 in his last 4 seasons.
But yeah, his first full season as a Flyer looked promising.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:27 PM

Some people seem to be trying a little too hard to discredit Schenn. Best as a #4? No chance, he's better than that by some distance.

We traded a second line forward for a second line defenseman. Good trade for both sides still.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:29 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Not anymore. At least L Schenn has a decent shot.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote