HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has Marc Bergevin made his first mistake as a Habs GM?

Old
04-15-2013, 09:17 PM
Bourne Endeavor

vCash: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
cap going down, player share as well.
So that's why Getzlaf and Perry just inked Crosby money? Subban will get paid handsome and if we try to holdout, another team will do it for us.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:25 PM
WakeUpNHL

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Meh..it's still a good cap hit.

I think his bigger gaffes were not adding proper depth to the D and extending DD to that contract. If he can trade DD for assets then the deal isn't as bad.
Don't get me started on Desi Arnez!

I think we will see Weber and/or Kaberle back in on D before the end of the year.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 09:38 PM
The Price is Right

Signing Moen to 4 year contract...

The Price is Right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:16 PM
Kimota
CONTROL THE BEAST

At least our GM is not Craig McTavish.

Kimota is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:42 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Clowe and Murray say hello.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Bieber fever

He's starting to make a lot of mistake....dd, moen , bouillon , didn't move at the tradeline.

Still a good GM Because he didn't trade away anything of value

Bieber fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 10:53 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieber fever View Post
He's starting to make a lot of mistake....dd, moen , bouillon , didn't move at the tradeline.

Still a good GM Because he didn't trade away anything of value
Yes, in two years we will be challenging for the Cup.

SouthernHab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:07 PM
gusfring

Moen contract
DD contract
Adding scrubs like Halpern and Drewiske
Not addressing toughness adequately (no not goons but a mix of players).

He's done well but he's made errors.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by gusfring View Post
Adding scrubs like Halpern and Drewiske
I wouldn't call Halpern a scrub, he's our best 4th liner at the moment. Drewiske is alright but wasn't supposed to play so much.

It's Emelin we're missing big time. Here's hoping that Diaz comes back and can provide some steady positional play cuz our Ds don't seem to have a clue about what to do anymore.

Guilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:32 AM
habtastic

Bergevin has done just fine, we just got very unlucky with Emelin. Would have been awesome for the playoffs.

As for Moen's contract and the talk of him signing up to not crash and bang, I really wonder what the deal is with that. If that's the case, I expect him to be traded, but I would have expected it to have happened already. Maybe he does need a talk with MB. I personally think Moen does little things that help on a 4th line, but he's a shadow of the guy who won a cup in Anaheim. Even last year he was awesome. If he can get back to showing up physically, then he'll have earned his contract. Playoffs are when that'll be needed. That and his savvy defensive play that goes unnoticed. But he needs to start hitting and hitting hard.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:23 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
Bergevin has done just fine, we just got very unlucky with Emelin. Would have been awesome for the playoffs.

As for Moen's contract and the talk of him signing up to not crash and bang, I really wonder what the deal is with that. If that's the case, I expect him to be traded, but I would have expected it to have happened already. Maybe he does need a talk with MB. I personally think Moen does little things that help on a 4th line, but he's a shadow of the guy who won a cup in Anaheim. Even last year he was awesome. If he can get back to showing up physically, then he'll have earned his contract. Playoffs are when that'll be needed. That and his savvy defensive play that goes unnoticed. But he needs to start hitting and hitting hard.
Agreed, don't know what's going on with him but he isnt the same guy at all.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:41 AM
WakeUpNHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post

Losing Markov, Subban or Plekanec would have been bad luck, they cannot be replaced at the trade deadline.

The reason GM's like Shero, Chia and Lombardi traded 2nd round draft picks for veteran Dman is to insure against a loss of an 'Emelin' type dman.

Bergevin is payed to look at all the contigencies and he miscalculated. This years opportunity for a Stanley Cup are now greatly diminished.

WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:40 AM
kernkraft

Nothing major yet, but he's going to have to deal with the elephant (pun intended) in the room:

Desharnais (5'6)
Gionta (5'6)
Gallagher (5'9)
Bouillon (5'8)

That's 3 forwards in your top-6 (minutes played, anyhow) and 1 d-man who are all under 5'10. I don't care how good they are, that's a problem. (the only player I would keep from the list above is Gallagher)

Plekanec (5'11)
Gorges (6'0)

Your top centre and (for now) your top shutdown guy are both on the wrong side of 6'0 (I don't care what the bio says, Gorges looks about 5'10 on the ice).

All the forwards on the farm are small as well (Kristo, Dumont, Bournival, Leblanc, etc.). Signing a guy like Laganiere would be a start, but it's not sufficient. Luckily the d-man situation will take care of itself with the great drafting in the last few years.

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:57 AM
ECWHSWI
bought a MB jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Nothing major yet, but he's going to have to deal with the elephant (pun intended) in the room:

Desharnais (5'6)
Gionta (5'6)
Gallagher (5'9)
Bouillon (5'8)

That's 3 forwards in your top-6 (minutes played, anyhow) and 1 d-man who are all under 5'10. I don't care how good they are, that's a problem. (the only player I would keep from the list above is Gallagher)

Plekanec (5'11)
Gorges (6'0)

Your top centre and (for now) your top shutdown guy are both on the wrong side of 6'0 (I don't care what the bio says, Gorges looks about 5'10 on the ice).

All the forwards on the farm are small as well (Kristo, Dumont, Bournival, Leblanc, etc.). Signing a guy like Laganiere would be a start, but it's not sufficient. Luckily the d-man situation will take care of itself with the great drafting in the last few years.
shouldnt be an issue long term, I doubt Gionta will be renewed, Bouillon is clearly a year by year case and is just there until one of Beaulieu, Patteryn, Tinordi is ready to be a full time NHL D

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WakeUpNHL View Post
Losing Markov, Subban or Plekanec would have been bad luck, they cannot be replaced at the trade deadline.

The reason GM's like Shero, Chia and Lombardi traded 2nd round draft picks for veteran Dman is to insure against a loss of an 'Emelin' type dman.

Bergevin is payed to look at all the contigencies and he miscalculated. This years opportunity for a Stanley Cup are now greatly diminished.
Let's be clear:

We were NOT shooting for a Cup. Let's just pretend that we make it through 3 rds. How do you feel about Chi, Ana, Van even LA? They would eat us alive.

What we wanted, increasingly cuz the team was doing great, was to be ahead of our rivals and MAYBE go down in the ECF. That would have been enough according to most after coming 15th!!!

Now...To say that Emelin is not as unique as the three guys you mentioned, is being exposed lately. Emelin is not JUST a good hitter (but boy is he). He is a solid puck mover, skater, shooter, etc. He's in the same category as "you don't trade your future away to have a backup for him".

Nobody thought the Emelin thing was gonna happen (I still can't believe it happened because he hit Lucic who - in a play I've never seen - acted like a pansy and brought his leg up...f'in Lucic, even when he's being a pssy, he injures our guys).

Bergevin made the trade he thought would make us complete for the playoffs without giving up anything. Now...I like Drewisie, but he ain't perfect. Hope that trade looks better down the road.The reason Shero made any moves was cuz:

1) Their D sucked. We HAD a better D than them. It was a glaring missing piece. They HAD to get Murray or someone like that.

2) They are going all in and can afford it. Their future has long since arrived. They need to cash out now and in the next few years before shero having to work magic again.

Chiarelli made a good move IMO, but they're worse off than the Pens in terms of time they have to cash out. We'll see how those scrubs they gave away develop (so mad there was no Bartkowski or Koko...nieuwendyk is an idiot). They NEEDED to fix their PP...it sucked.

At the time of the deadline, we didn't NEED anything except arguably a Ryan Clowe acc. to many, but I liked our lineup just fine as long as we were playing our system/our time is 2-3 years from now, not now. Can't afford to give these guys up. I assure you this will bear fruit in 8 years when the guys we draft this year end up possibly being PK Subbans.

Emelin's injury screwed us. It was the Markov injury we were all fearing. If Jagr gets injured, what does that say about chiapet? If Iginla get injured, what does that say about Shero?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Shero and Lombardi traded more than a 2nd and they got players that can't realistically replace Emelin.

Redden was in the press box in St.Louis and in the press box in Boston. If he was that good he'd at least crack the top 6 on one of those teams.

Regehr struggled all year in Buffalo, if you plug him in for Emelin it's no better than using Bouillon top 4. Not worth what he cost.

Murray is a slow footed plug, once again not worth his inflated price tag.

Bergevin isn't at the same stage as those teams and wasn't willing to throw away draft picks.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:18 PM
McTusk
Brian Flynn Rules!

Quote:
Don't get me started on Desi Arnez!
That's just not funny by the way.

Anyway, does anybody remember when Brisebois was hired and there was an "article" about him in the Gazette? If you read into what he said the plan was sort of already in place :

“The potential of the Canadiens is very nice.The core of the team? Beautiful. Just be patient. Let some contracts run their course. And let these young guys mature."

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...424/story.html

McTusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 12:38 PM
coladin

In my opinion, no.

Who knew that Emelin was they key to all the Habs success? You would have thought that it would have been Subban or Markov? I think there is an overreaction going on here and the fact of the matter is , no matter how well you prepare for the worst, you are never going to be prepared.

Ottawa survived losing Karlsson, Cowen, arguably no. 1 and no.2 following last year and we have seen the development of other young defenceman. There are another 17 players who will pick up the slack in Emelin's absence.

He made the deadline move of the year as no one has paid more dividends than Ryder. Drewiskie was a smart pickup and his signing of tougher players are not mistakes. Moen would be picked up by 29 other teams tomorrow if he is deemed expendable.

What is a mistake is signing a player that cannot be moved.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Bacchus1

Winning the cup this year was unrealistic. I think that they are going to work on improving come this off-season. We have a lot of good picks for the draft, and hopefully we'll get some players who can help us in 2-3 years in becoming a perennial contender. Nothing at the deadline would have helped us in any way to get beyond what we already have, which is very good. With Diaz back, I think our D will stabilize. ALso, we may just need a bit of tweaking, and some Prust back in the lineup. We may still make noise in the playoffs!

Bacchus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:03 PM
wally weir

This year, our team is exceding expectations. I think that Bergevin is staying the course and not sacrificing the future, and not letting this year's success make him change course. For that I am very glad.

Obviously the loss of Emelin hurts, because it brings Bouillon, a 5-6 defender, up to top four, and let's face it Bouillon can't cover behind Markov like Emelin can. A top four defender would have been nice at the deadline, but I would not have sacrificed two second round pick for Douglas Murray.

I think Bergevin is doing just fine. We have a great core. Let's stick to the plan.

wally weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally weir View Post
This year, our team is exceding expectations. I think that Bergevin is staying the course and not sacrificing the future, and not letting this year's success make him change course. For that I am very glad.

Obviously the loss of Emelin hurts, because it brings Bouillon, a 5-6 defender, up to top four, and let's face it Bouillon can't cover behind Markov like Emelin can. A top four defender would have been nice at the deadline, but I would not have sacrificed two second round pick for Douglas Murray.

I think Bergevin is doing just fine. We have a great core. Let's stick to the plan.
O'Byrne or Peckham could had been acquired for quite cheap and provide size on the blue line.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:11 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Murray is no more a top 4 guy on a contender than Bouillon. I would argue that Bouillon has clearly been the better player this season.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
O'Byrne or Peckham could had been acquired for quite cheap and provide size on the blue line.
Just having somebody big that can't play hockey accomplishes nothing. O'byrne was brutal against New Jersey last night, he took 3 penalities. Peckham can't even crack a weak Oilers defense.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:16 PM
wally weir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
O'Byrne for Weber would have been good IMO.

wally weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
O'Byrne for Weber would have been good IMO.
Still wouldn't help us with Emelin and Diaz out. O'byrne at anything more than 18 minutes is asking for trouble.