HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 01:20 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
So I'm guessing most people would be down with trying to trade Coburn and Hartnell for top 20 picks this year?
Well you want to **** our prospect depth in trying to trade for Weber.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:21 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
So I'm guessing most people would be down with trying to trade Coburn and Hartnell for top 20 picks this year?
No but getting Weber now is pretty unrealistic at this point. That dream sailed away the moment Nashville matched the offersheet.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Some people will never let go of the Weber dream. Just like the dream of landing Pietrangelo or OEL. Not going to happen.
How about this for once. Draft a defenseman. let him develop. have patience with the guy. Its a novel concept.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

I do not like anything about these recent trade proposals.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Alright...let's saying we're going to be patient...

Then you need to move Hartnell for 1st/PMD...

McGinn - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Couturier - Schenn
Cousins - Laughton - xxxxxx
Rinaldo - xxxxxx - xxxxxx

xxxxxx - Schenn
Nurse - xxxxxx
Gustafsson - Gostisbehere

Mason
Stolarz

That's our young team as it stands right now.
I don't think I follow. Why does "being patient" translate to trading all players over the age of 26?

Old
04-16-2013, 01:30 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Some people will never let go of the Weber dream. Just like the dream of landing Pietrangelo or OEL. Not going to happen.
How about this for once. Draft a defenseman. let him develop. have patience with the guy. Its a novel concept.
But if we're doing that, there's really no reason to have Hartnell on this team; possibly Grossmann and Coburn as well.

This is the year to get draft picks, so trading them and falling back to an extremely young team with an unreal prospect pool is always a possibility.

That's the extremely patient route. Trading for someone like Weber is the extremely aggressive route.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:32 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I don't think I follow. Why does "being patient" translate to trading all players over the age of 26?
It doesn't mean we have to. I'm even suggesting that we do it.

I really just want to move this draft pick for a young PMD so we can end this charade.

But I definitely don't want to get another Eminger...

Old
04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
But if we're doing that, there's really no reason to have Hartnell on this team; possibly Grossmann and Coburn as well.

This is the year to get draft picks, so trading them and falling back to an extremely young team with an unreal prospect pool is always a possibility.

That's the extremely patient route. Trading for someone like Weber is the extremely aggressive route.
The Flyers are likely finishing in the bottom 10 in the league this year. There will be not trading contributing veterans for picks. They will try to get back into the playoffs next year. If anything this team will be older next year.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Go For It

Quote:

I really just want to move this draft pick for a young PMD so we can end this charade.

If you're not even suggesting that we do it, then why did you a post a lineup devoid of all the veteran players? There's a happy medium between trading away everything for superstar talent and trading away everything for picks and prospects.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:34 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Would you trade the 7th - 10th overall for Kulikov?

Old
04-16-2013, 01:35 PM
FLYERSFAN18

If I was homer and was confident that I could sign all of our young core I wouldn't mind trading a bunch of picks to get to number one. Although I have wanted home to keep our picks instead of trading them like normal I wouldn't be completely opposed to trading them for a young high potential guy like jones. But that is only if we are able to get our young guys signed eg Couts schenn and giroux

Old
04-16-2013, 01:36 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Yes. I'd be nervous that I'm making the wrong decision, but in the end, I would.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Yes. I'd be nervous that I'm making the wrong decision, but in the end, I would.
I think I'd do it as well.

I see a two-way upside in him that is significantly better than Rundblad or Gormley, and he's already demonstrated that he can play effectively at the NHL level.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:40 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Every year, Holmgren has made whole sale changes. There's never been much constant to the Flyers roster other than Holmgren blowing things up and making big moves for the sake of making big moves. If Holmgren goes to blow it up, then might as well start from scratch and do it properly. Funny thing is, even if Holmgren decides to move Hartnell and Coburn, they still have plenty of good depth that can compensate for their losses. The whole "sky is falling" if the Flyers move Hartnell and Coburn is laughable.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
I think I'd do it as well.

I see a two-way upside in him that is significantly better than Rundblad or Gormley, and he's already demonstrated that he can play effectively at the NHL level.
I honestly don't get the hype behind those guys. I am not interested in trading a 1st or Couturier for either player.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
I would do it if these 8 are off the board : Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Nurse, Nichuskin, and Monahan. I think Kulikovs potential is equal to the other dmen at that point and he already has NHL seasoning. If Kulikov was right handed he'd be perfect.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
I would do it if these 8 are off the board : Jones, Drouin, Mackinnon, Barkov, Lindholm, Nurse, Nichuskin, and Monahan. I think Kulikovs potential is equal to the other dmen at that point and he already has NHL seasoning. If Kulikov was right handed he'd be perfect.
If those guys are all off the board, I'm not sure the pick has enough value to return Kulikov. BPA would be, what, Ristolainen or Zadorov? No reason for FLA to do that.

I was assuming it would be swapping one of Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm for Kulikov.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:47 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I honestly don't get the hype behind those guys. I am not interested in trading a 1st or Couturier for either player.
This is HFboards where potential misleads people into thinking a player is a proven commodity.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
He'd certainly make a nice partner with Luke Schenn down the road. Kulikov would probably need the Timonen treatment for a season. I think what concerns me is that defensemen usually start to break out around year 4 and Kulikov still hasn't broken out yet. The flashes are there, but it's been inconsistent. I'd probably make a deal, but I'd want the Panthers to add to it - Alex Petrovic or Colby Robak would need to be included before I'd make the deal.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
If those guys are all off the board, I'm not sure the pick has enough value to return Kulikov. BPA would be, what, Ristolainen or Zadorov? No reason for FLA to do that.

I was assuming it would be swapping one of Monahan, Nichushkin, or Lindholm for Kulikov.
Probably no then. The Flyers do need defensemen but I think it is a little overblown. The forwards have contributed a lot to the terrible defense this year. They could add a Streit or Hainsey and bandaid the problem for a couple more years until some of the drafted guys are ready. Those 8 guys are special and wouldn't be worth passing on for a quick fix.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:58 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:

You sir, are ridiculous.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:13 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
You sir, are ridiculous.
I'm not trying to be.

If we're going to rebuild then we need to rebuild.

If we're going to go for it all then we need to go for it all.

Floating around in the middle is not going to help us.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Probably no then. The Flyers do need defensemen but I think it is a little overblown. The forwards have contributed a lot to the terrible defense this year. They could add a Streit or Hainsey and bandaid the problem for a couple more years until some of the drafted guys are ready. Those 8 guys are special and wouldn't be worth passing on for a quick fix.
How would Kulikov be a quick fix? He's 22 years old. Other than Jones, Mackinnon, and perhaps Drouin, it is far from certain that the guys who are likely to go in the top-10 end up better pros than he is now, let alone what he might be in his prime. They could, to be sure, but it is hardly guaranteed.

I see Kulikov as having a 2-3 projection, with a floor as a healthy Meszaros (#4) and a ceiling as a Timonen-in-his-prime type (1B defenseman--not a franchise-caliber guy, but someone who can play in all situations at a high level).

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-16-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 02:19 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
I'm not trying to be.

If we're going to rebuild then we need to rebuild.

If we're going to go for it all then we need to go for it all.

Floating around in the middle is not going to help us.
The thing is if the defense stays healthy,Schenn and Couturier can go off and Hartnell and Briere can start scoring some goals again, we are a playoff team.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
The thing is if the defense stays healthy,Schenn and Couturier can go off and Hartnell and Briere can start scoring some goals again, we are a playoff team.
Not with Bryzgalov.

We needed something radical to offset Leighton's suck. We're gonna need it for Bryz too.

That's why I'm saying we either need to do something radical if we're going to stick with him, or we need to abandon ship, particularly where Bryz is concerned; especially where Bryz is concerned.

I don't think buying him out and relying on Mason is a great idea either, but at least it will free up money for re-signings/possibly Bobby Ryan or the like.

Then we have to wait and see on Stolarz.

Closed Thread