HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 01:49 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habtastic View Post
If I have trouble, melatonin or valerian root. Otherwise, 4 hrs on HF boards tuckers me out post-game dealing with people like you.

You think MD is a horrible colour commentator? Really? Like you're not joking? I almost want to do a poll, cuz he's generally regarded as being fantastic (despite my distaste for that moment). Do you remember his predecessors? I guess you're a Glen Healy fan or Ray Ferraro. Mcguire?
I remember his predecessors. Brunet was horrible, and Pednault was not even as bad as some made him out to be.

As for McGuire, the guy is a great colour guy. He does his job right. He's there to entertain, he does. And you can see he's a very good hockey mind when you listen to him closely. He knows more in his left nut than what you could wish for.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
peate
Habs fan 4 life.

vCash: 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Monkey View Post
He was top 7 in 2010-2011. I can also use selection bias to my advantage

There is more to ranking goalies than simple stats (GAA and save %). Kid is young and will only get better, which is scary
The scary part is he's not getting better, he's regressing and that is worrisome. I haven't given up on him but his performance this year is not worth 6.5 mil. not even close. Unless he comes up strong in the play offs and helps us win a round or two, he'll be scrutinized a lot more than that little bit on TV last night which was nothing really.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:54 PM
dutchy29

I Love Price and he should be our guy down the stretch and in the playoffs, unless he proves he can't keep the job. Since Emelin has gone down we have a very weak 5-6 defence pairing, and our team has sort of deflated a bit in the past two weeks as a whole. could be fatigue who knows. BUT at this point Budaj does deserve to take the reigns IMO give him a start if he plays well give him another, like another poster stated, make Carey earn back his starts, every team does that, Carey is still young and the mental fatigue he must feel game in and game out has got to wear on him. give him a rest, so he will be ready for the playoffs.
That all said I believe we are in deep shoot with out a big strong stay at home defenseman on this team, Emelin filled that role to some degree and now we have no one.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
I remember his predecessors. Brunet was horrible, and Pednault was not even as bad as some made him out to be.

As for McGuire, the guy is a great colour guy. He does his job right. He's there to entertain, he does. And you can see he's a very good hockey mind when you listen to him closely. He knows more in his left nut than what you could wish for.
Being completely genuine, I re-read your posts, and I think where we broke down in our line of agreement was when you questioned Gally for defending Price, which I took as you don't think he was right, so I apologize if what you meant was that Gally didn't defend Price enough, but it doesn't seem like you said that. (Thus the confusion since me posting the video backed up your point, though you disagree.)

It seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that you (like me) also wanted the team to back Carey up and they didn't. I just don't understand why you are jumping on Gallgher (of all people) for admitting that this is exactly what they did. I posted it to highlight that the players recognized certain points in the game where Carey brought the game back to them and then they failed and that it's not just run of the mill not throwing your goalie to the wolves.

So misunderstanding on both sides I think. I think we actually agree, but when the posts are fast and furious, things get misconstrued.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:56 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Drebin View Post
Agreed, but what's the harm in giving the starter role to Budaj (who's actually earned it), and forcing Price to actually win the role back? Not once has he ever had to fight for his job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Doesn't help to know the defence has to be near perfect or it will be in the back of the net.

Why should anyone on the defense care when the coach doesn't . Price is lifted after 3 shots on Saturday, the coach goes back with him to watch another bed ********. The 7-1-1 backup sits waiting to clean up another Price mess.

Put Budaj in net, things will straighten out. Then you can put Price back in.

Or we can just watch the division slip away and brace for a loss at the hands of the Leafs .

People ACTUALLY think Budaj deserves and EARNED the starter position after 9 games?

Old
04-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I don't speak french but the fact that Denis stood no more than 5 feet from carey and repeatedly said Carey's name over and over, I mean c'mon man. If I was Price I would have done Kumota proud and jumped up and flattened Denis right to the floor.
I think Carey Price knows that Marc Denis is a colour commentator and is talking about the game. You know, the game Carey Price played in?

Last edited by Gary320: 04-16-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old
04-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Frankenheimer

Budaj starting is actually very positive for Price and for the objective of this team.

Either Budaj will perform and stabilize the team and in this way give Price an opportunity to work out his problems; or he will fail and show that the problems lied elsewhere to begin with, in which case Price is a beneficiary since it will boost his confidence.

So we should definitely play Budaj for as long as the team performs well. It's win win.

I also think it's entirely possible that Budaj could be become a starter, if not here, then elsewhere. Maybe he's a late bloomer. He definitely looks sharp every game he's played.

Old
04-16-2013, 01:59 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchy29 View Post
I Love Price and he should be our guy down the stretch and in the playoffs, unless he proves he can't keep the job. Since Emelin has gone down we have a very weak 5-6 defence pairing, and our team has sort of deflated a bit in the past two weeks as a whole. could be fatigue who knows. BUT at this point Budaj does deserve to take the reigns IMO give him a start if he plays well give him another, like another poster stated, make Carey earn back his starts, every team does that, Carey is still young and the mental fatigue he must feel game in and game out has got to wear on him. give him a rest, so he will be ready for the playoffs.
That all said I believe we are in deep shoot with out a big strong stay at home defenseman on this team, Emelin filled that role to some degree and now we have no one.
Yup, agree with this. I'm sure Carey could use a break, it's been a sprint and he just needs to chill, himself with all the pressure building up. I hope boods plays like he did in Boston both times.

The REAL thread of importance should just be an homage to Alexei Emelin cuz (and I was lamenting this the second it happened) he really is a HUGE (literally) part of our team and without him, the D MB put together has little chance of succeeding unless we get Diaz back and firing on all cylinders. Still, won't be a physical D corps, but a puck moving one. Best D will be a good O.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Good that Peter is in. This isn't the Edmonton Oilers - we can't afford to give away games while a player tries to find himself.

Get Budaj in, get a W hopefully, then go from there.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:06 PM
habtastic

Quote:

Ok, so now that we apparently agree on Price, McGuire? He is anything but entertaining (personal preference, here we can agree to disagree) with his grating voice, his pretending to know what each player and coach is thinking, his constant reference to junior teams as if anyone cares about his subjective opinion of what happened when so and so played in Owen Sound, and the worst part...the mention of Lekksand Sweden. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Knowing an assortment of trivia does not make a person interesting.

Just bringing this back to Price...since he knows everything (including about junior teams), remember his reaction to Price being drafted?

Old
04-16-2013, 02:09 PM
ottawa*
go habs go

vCash: 50
I'm still lost...the Carey Price haters that are suggesting Budaj should be our starter are just talking short term. Do you guys want to trade Price afterwards because that's pretty much what Price will want if we bench him from here on out till the end of the playoffs. Who will we replace him with after we trade him and most likely get short-changed for him?

Price is here to stay, he's our franchise goalie...all you guys care about is stats and this recent bad stretch of games really ruined his stats. I personally don't give two ***** about his save %, it could drop below .900 and I'll still have faith in him and the idea that he can one day turn into a consistent top 5 goalie.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:12 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Being completely genuine, I re-read your posts, and I think where we broke down in our line of agreement was when you questioned Gally for defending Price, which I took as you don't think he was right, so I apologize if what you meant was that Gally didn't defend Price enough, but it doesn't seem like you said that. (Thus the confusion since me posting the video backed up your point, though you disagree.)

It seems (correct me if I'm wrong) that you (like me) also wanted the team to back Carey up and they didn't. I just don't understand why you are jumping on Gallgher (of all people) for admitting that this is exactly what they did. I posted it to highlight that the players recognized certain points in the game where Carey brought the game back to them and then they failed and that it's not just run of the mill not throwing your goalie to the wolves.

So misunderstanding on both sides I think. I think we actually agree, but when the posts are fast and furious, things get misconstrued.
Personally, when you back up your teammate in the lockerroom, especially in Montreal of all places, knowing the crowd is going to watch every single move Price makes, bad or good, after a counter-performance), you have to come up strong and let him regain his confidence by helping him as much as you can. Especially when you come out of your way to defend him and say you stand behind him. Though, what I saw yesterday is a bunch of sweet talkers who did nothing to back up what they said. To me, that says a lot about a whole lot of them, and it's a lack of respect towards Price, who is their franchise goalie.

Now, Price let in a couple of bad goals in the last few games. But he needed his teammates to actually help him, more than he ever needed them this year. And how do they respond? Gorges, one of the guys who were the most vocal about "standing up for Price", makes a perfect pass to an opponent who made it 3-2 Flyers, after Price actually bailed them out at the end of the 1st.

I have a hard time respecting sweet talkers who don,t back up their words. And to me, Gorges did exactly that yesterday.

Now, I might have been harsh with Gallagher, but the display of this team disgusted me so much yesterday, that I would expect less talk and more substance on the ice going forward.

To me, we saw the true colors of quite a couple of skaters yesterday. Especially since it was a lack of effort more than anything else.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:14 PM
habtastic

I think the general sense is that Price should sit this one and come back one or two games later when he knows he's fully ready.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that Budaj carry this team into the playoffs (love the assumption that with the D we played, Booods won't get lit up 7 times.) If they are, wow, pretty nutty.

It's just a case of short memories and selective ones. Carey will hit his stride hopefully as we're entering the playoffs. Not a lot of time, but Budaj does deserve a start and it comes at a good time. I think Petey is totally cool with winning against Pitt and then having Carey get some confidence back against WPG.

There's no way this franchise is not going with CP as the number 1. Budaj is being the consumate backup goalie though, not just to step in, but to help Price through this and not try to steal his job.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:20 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
He was doing his job talking about Carey Price. Why would he (Price) be upset at it?

He wouldn't be.

Again, this is stupid.
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/deuxi%...utive-1.610010

At ~:057....

yeah, he looked ecstatic.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Personally, when you back up your teammate in the lockerroom, especially in Montreal of all places, knowing the crowd is going to watch every single move Price makes, bad or good, after a counter-performance), you have to come up strong and let him regain his confidence by helping him as much as you can. Especially when you come out of your way to defend him and say you stand behind him. Though, what I saw yesterday is a bunch of sweet talkers who did nothing to back up what they said. To me, that says a lot about a whole lot of them, and it's a lack of respect towards Price, who is their franchise goalie.

Now, Price let in a couple of bad goals in the last few games. But he needed his teammates to actually help him, more than he ever needed them this year. And how do they respond? Gorges, one of the guys who were the most vocal about "standing up for Price", makes a perfect pass to an opponent who made it 3-2 Flyers, after Price actually bailed them out at the end of the 1st.

I have a hard time respecting sweet talkers who don,t back up their words. And to me, Gorges did exactly that yesterday.

Now, I might have been harsh with Gallagher, but the display of this team disgusted me so much yesterday, that I would expect less talk and more substance on the ice going forward.

To me, we saw the true colors of quite a couple of skaters yesterday. Especially since it was a lack of effort more than anything else.

k, so now we're actually saying EXACTLY the same thing

Old
04-16-2013, 02:25 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
http://www.rds.ca/vid%C3%A9os/deuxi%...utive-1.610010

At ~:057....

yeah, he looked ecstatic.
He can get over it. That's Denis' job.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:29 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
He can get over it. That's Denis's job.
What exactly IS Denis' job? To mention Price's name in that situation, cuz that's all you are insinuating.

Like HiggsBozon said, lack of professionalism. Why did he have to keep saying his name? Would have made his point just as effectively without doing it.

I would guess and hope that Marc explained to Carey what he was saying (later). Otherwise, well, I posted the clip and you heard what the AC guys said (who were last night...actually not insane. I think it's Vinny's influence).

Actually last night had a lot of great lines for the RDS meme thread.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:31 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
What exactly IS Denis' job? To mention Price's name in that situation, cuz that's all you are insinuating.

Like HiggsBozon said, lack of professionalism. Why did he have to keep saying his name? Would have made his point just as effectively without doing it.

I would guess and hope that Marc explained to Carey what he was saying (later). Otherwise, well, I posted the clip and you heard what the AC guys said (who were last night...actually not insane. I think it's Vinny's influence).

Actually last night had a lot of great lines for the RDS meme thread.
Good lord. Denis didn't say anything disparaging about Price - he commented on what was wrong with him.

If Price can't handle his name in the media, then he can't handle being a #1 goalie, period. Can't believe how much you guys are babying him. I bet you he really doesn't even care that Denis was talking about him. He was pulled from the game. It's only natural to talk about him and do his job.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:39 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Ok, so now that we apparently agree on Price, McGuire? He is anything but entertaining (personal preference, here we can agree to disagree) with his grating voice, his pretending to know what each player and coach is thinking, his constant reference to junior teams as if anyone cares about his subjective opinion of what happened when so and so played in Owen Sound, and the worst part...the mention of Lekksand Sweden. Like nails on a chalkboard.

Knowing an assortment of trivia does not make a person interesting.

Just bringing this back to Price...since he knows everything (including about junior teams), remember his reaction to Price being drafted?
He was wrong. Then again, who wasn't. I doubt Timmins doesn't think of drafting Fischer instead of Giroux at least once at night.

He was also very, VERY vocal about Parise being the real deal back in 2003, and criticized the Habs for picking Kostitsyn.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
Strat

Price to start the Pens game on the bench.

Wonder if MT is either doubting Price's current skillset or if he's simply trying to motivate the rest of his troops by starting Budaj.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=420917

Old
04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Good lord. Denis didn't say anything disparaging about Price - he commented on what was wrong with him.

If Price can't handle his name in the media, then he can't handle being a #1 goalie, period. Can't believe how much you guys are babying him. I bet you he really doesn't even care that Denis was talking about him. He was pulled from the game. It's only natural to talk about him and do his job.
I'm not making any drama over this, but repeating and repeating a guy's name again and again, when the answer didn't even require him to do so, while the said guy is sitting 2 feet in front of you WAS idiotic. I mean. This is a lack of respect more than anything else.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
Send a message via Skype™ to Le Tricolore
Quote:

Come on, take out your Apple earbuds and quit listening to crappy pop rock! Price was obviously upset at Denis!

Old
04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
hersky77

useless thread is useless. Price is playing poorly right now and he deserves to be on the bench. Playing budaj wont help fix the problems we have at d right now

Old
04-16-2013, 02:44 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
I'm not making any drama over this, but repeating and repeating a guy's name again and again, when the answer didn't even require him to do so, while the said guy is sitting 2 feet in front of you WAS idiotic. I mean. This is a lack of respect more than anything else.
You kind of are making a drama of this.

I didn't think it was that bad, really. Don't really think CP has a care in the world for Marc Denis talking. And if he does, he needs to talk to Guimond a bit more. That's not what should matter for him right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Come on, take out your Apple earbuds and quit listening to crappy pop rock! Price was obviously upset at Denis!
Price was pulled from the game. If he wasn't upset that he was sitting on the bench for a 2nd game in a row, then something would be up. And if he was upset that Denis kept saying his name, then like I said, he needs to get over it and focus on things that matter. Like his on-ice play.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:47 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
You kind of are making a drama of this.

I didn't think it was that bad, really. Don't really think CP has a care in the world for Marc Denis talking. And if he does, he needs to talk to Guimond a bit more. That's not what should matter for him right now.
It's not the effect it has on Price mental that bugs me. It's the flagrant lack of respect. Then again, it's not the first time a journalist does something stupid like this. I mean, I'm a huge Pednault defender, and even him went out of his way the other night before the trade deadline, saying to Robidas: "THERE ARE HUGE RUMOURS OF YOU BEING TRADED TO BOSTON BY TOMORROW!". But what Denis did yesterday WAS stupid. Whether it affected the guy or not, it was a lack of respect.

Closed Thread