HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How would you rank our defensemen?

Old
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
Easterbrook

vCash: 500
Phaneuf

Franson
Fraser
Gunnarson
Liles
Gardiner
O'Byrne
Kostka
Holzer

I know Fraser and Franson don't usually play against the other teams best, but they have really impressed me together this year. Fraser does everything right, seems to have a pretty good hockey IQ, and definitely knows his role. Phaneuf really stands apart from the rest though... Our D would be a mess without the captain.

Easterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Lots of people selling Liles short, IMO.

1. Phaneuf
2. Franson
3. Liles
4. Gunnarsson
5. Fraser
6. Gardiner
7. Kostka

150. Holzer -- NEVER AGAIN

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Easterbrook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeenSchenn2 View Post
Lots of people selling Liles short, IMO.

1. Phaneuf
2. Franson
3. Liles
4. Gunnarsson
5. Fraser
6. Gardiner
7. Kostka

150. Holzer -- NEVER AGAIN
I agree about Liles. Although not physical, he can play pretty well defensively. Smart player.

Easterbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:12 PM
SeenSchenn2
Itchin' For Mitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easterbrook View Post
I agree about Liles. Although not physical, he can play pretty well defensively. Smart player.
Exactly. No need to be physical when the rest of our d-men are (also don't needa be physical to be successful). His skating is a blessing and his decision-making is great.

It seems like all D-men know their role well and are excelling right now.

Oops, Forgot O'byrne; Above Kostka.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:13 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Phaneuf
Gunnar
Franson/Fraser
Gardiner/Liles
O'Byrne

Kostka

Holzer

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Inconceivable

Phaneuf
Franson
Fraser
Liles
Gunnarsson
O'byrne
Gardiner
Kostka

Sorry, I just love fraser. And gardiner can easily shoot up the list if he starts playing like he did last year.

Inconceivable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:01 PM
theneuf33
@TheDamager

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
Yep. Gunnarson plays effectively on the top pairing, Franson plays effectively on the 3rd pairing. And then everyones rankings have Franson as our 2nd best defenceman.

If he was the 2nd best defenceman, he'd be getting more ice-time, and he'd be used against tougher competition from the opposing teams. He IS have a very good year (by his standards), and has been contributing offensively. But he's not playing key minutes, which makes a huge difference.
franson had the third most ice-time for d-men on leafs last night behind phaneuf and fraser and has played over 20 minutes in every game last 5 games safe to say that he is playing in the top 4

theneuf33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Again I'll go with in terms of losing which one would be the most devastating, aka have the biggest impact on our team.

1st Phaneuf [Country mile, would rather 3 others be injured at once than Phaneuf be]
2nd Gunnarsson [Holzer and Kostka both sucked beside Dion, only option we have, need him]
3rd Fraser [Plays his role perfectly, is our 3rd pairing guy, but is part of the best 3rd pairing D in the league]
4th Franson [He's big for us on the PP, gets shots through, moves puck around, again part of the best 3rd pair in the league]
5th T Gardiner/Liles/ROB [Rob hasn't been here very long and other two have both had off years]

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 05:52 PM
Hero
Buffy is Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by theneuf33 View Post
franson had the third most ice-time for d-men on leafs last night behind phaneuf and fraser and has played over 20 minutes in every game last 5 games safe to say that he is playing in the top 4
True, but Franson is 8th among D-men for TOI/G

He's played all season, but for 18 mins a game, 2:45 of that on the PP

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 06:13 PM
Cap'n Flavour

Send a message via ICQ to Cap'n Flavour Send a message via MSN to Cap'n Flavour
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Franson
Gardiner
Liles/Fraser
O'Byrne
Kostka
Holzer

Cap'n Flavour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:17 PM
Kyle93*
LL4Life

vCash: 1255
Probably something like:

Phaneuf

Gunnarsson
Franson
Fraser
Gardiner
Liles
ROB
Kostka

Holzer

Kyle93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

1. Phaneuf
  2. Franson
  3. Gunnarsson
  4. Fraser
  5. Liles
  6. Gardiner
  7. RoByrne
  8. Kostka
  9. Holzer

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 10:52 PM
hobarth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falon View Post
1 - Phaneuf

2 - Gardiner (when on his game, has shown flashes this year, but the lockout and injuries slowed his progress a bit. He'll get there though, he's only 22)

3 - Gunnarson - perfect number 3 guy who can play number 2 in a pinch. Steady, good puck mover, reliable. Good at everything, great at nothing. Still, fantastic pick for the 7th round.

4 - Franson - last season, he was a 5/6 defenseman, he has improved in every aspect and I am now completely comfortable with him in the top 4. Good puck mover who is learning to use his body more thanks to playing with Fraser.

5 - Fraser - A gem of a find for a career AHLer. Solid, stay at home presence. Might be able to play in the top 4 like Franson, and does on occasion, but for now is a solid #5

6 - Liles - offensive defenseman who moves the puck very well. Little physicality due to size and sometimes gets caught out of position. Will likely be traded as soon as Reilly is ready.

7 - O'byrne, Holzer, Kostka - depth defensemen who can play in the #6 spot, just not everyday, with Holzer the only one signed beyond this season.
The top 3 make sense and then there's Franson who is a 5/6 d-man this year, last year he rode the pine alot and he's acceptable as someone who defends against 3rd liners, nothing more in my opinion.

Fraser is useful because of his physicality but has zero upside.

Liles is so inconsistent, he was playing poorly so RC benched him for 12 games and when RC let him play he played inspired but he's sliding again. TO needs 30ish year old d-men to be more consistent than Liles is prepared to deliver, expendable.

hobarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:07 PM
Egoclapper

1. Phaneuf

2. Gunnarsson
3. Liles
4. Franson
5. Fraser

6. Gardiner
7. Kostka

8. O'Byrne
9. Holzer

Gardiner would look great next to a guy like Fraser, he really covers up for Franson's inconsistent defensive play. O'Bryne and Holzer are trash. Bring back Komisarek, if you ignore his contract he's a million times better as a 6'5 immobile defender.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:30 PM
jughead42*

Phaneuf- He's the man, taking care of pretty much everything you'd expect a top defenceman to take care of. He'll hit, he'll score, he'll shut down top players and key the attack from the blue line. He's reached that point in his career where his experience has meshed with his talents to make him a pretty good player.

Gunnarsson- I don't think people appreciate just what an effective defenseman this guy is. He's so cool when he's under pressure, its such a valuable skill to have. I rank him this highly because I feel he's our second most dependable defender, and he's getting a reasonable number of points as well.

Franson- He's having a breakout year offensively, he's always been known as a guy with a great skill for getting the puck on the net and he's showing that off. He's also shown to be more physical than he has been in the past, and that's something that takes a guy with his size to the next level.

Fraser- I just like the way this guy plays. He's tough, he finds a way to get the job done. What a great addition to the team.

After that I'd say

Liles
Purse Snatcher
Gardiner
Kostka
Holzer

jughead42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2013, 11:42 PM
4evaBlue
Corsi != Possession

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Phaneuf

-Large Gap-

Franson
Liles
Fraser
Gardiner
O'Byrne

-Large Gap-

Kostka
Gunnarsson
Holzer

Anyone that has Gunnarsson anywhere near the top has no idea what they're watching
Pretty much this. Though, I think you're underrating Gunnarsson some to put him in the same category as Kostka. He's had a bad season, no doubt, but he's not that bad to be put beside career AHL defensemen.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 08:57 AM
The Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobarth View Post
The top 3 make sense and then there's Franson who is a 5/6 d-man this year, last year he rode the pine alot and he's acceptable as someone who defends against 3rd liners, nothing more in my opinion.

Fraser is useful because of his physicality but has zero upside.

Liles is so inconsistent, he was playing poorly so RC benched him for 12 games and when RC let him play he played inspired but he's sliding again. TO needs 30ish year old d-men to be more consistent than Liles is prepared to deliver, expendable.
Why would you say Fraser has zero upside?
Are you saying stay at home d-men don't get better as they get more experienced?
Dude is 26. I am counting on him to continue to grow as a player. These are the kind of players that don't break in at 20 to the NHL.
Under Carlyle he has improved this year and will continue his growth.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 09:25 AM
thewave

We need a 2 and a 3d to do anything meaningful, good news we probably have them in system now developing,

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote