HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Today I... (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 05:54 PM
Primrose Everdeen
Let It Go

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
But you made the other team pretty happy. What exactly did he do? I didn't have a good view.
Puck trickled to him and he kept it on his stick. I yelled at him repeatedly to play it since there were no opposing players even in the attacking zone. When an opponent finally skated up to him rather casually he covered it with his glove, I blew the whistle and called the delay of game minor immediately.

The counter-argument was that "it's only D league!" Ummm... yeah, that's a delay of game in any league, buddy. There were even teammates just kind of standing there who could have taken the puck and iced it (they were shorthanded by 1 already, this made it a 5 on 3 against them).

Old
04-10-2013, 06:21 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

vCash: 500
Thanks for the explanation, yeah, it sounds like a good penalty.

I'm pretty sure that was a painful game for them. I certainly didn't expect to come from behind like we did, and I'm 100% certain they weren't expecting that either. But silly penalties don't help the cause either!

Old
04-11-2013, 08:50 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rundblad View Post
Puck trickled to him and he kept it on his stick. I yelled at him repeatedly to play it since there were no opposing players even in the attacking zone. When an opponent finally skated up to him rather casually he covered it with his glove, I blew the whistle and called the delay of game minor immediately.

The counter-argument was that "it's only D league!" Ummm... yeah, that's a delay of game in any league, buddy. There were even teammates just kind of standing there who could have taken the puck and iced it (they were shorthanded by 1 already, this made it a 5 on 3 against them).
D league, running time I assume? They're just trying to milk the clock, bet they would have gone for a line change during the whistle too.

Regardless, I love when people complain about penalties in men's league hockey. As if any men's league team ever has a good power play... In both leagues I play in, I am willing to bet a lot of money on the fact that there are more shorthanded goals than power play goals.

Old
04-11-2013, 09:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Speaking of milking the clock, my spring league has run time, and twice last game we had a draw in our end in the last minute. Definitely made a late, dawdling line change

Old
04-11-2013, 01:44 PM
newfr4u

most leagues should have stop time in the third period. at least according to USAHockey.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

This was two nights ago, but I forgot to post it yesterday. I had stopped working on shooting for a long time at pickups or before games in order to improve my overall game and not focus on goals.

On Tuesday, I played 3v3 for a couple hours (two time slots as a sub) at this mini rink and put an emphasis on shooting the puck and getting my technique better. I've been switching between an Ai9 (mid kick) and an Easton RS2 (low kick) trying to get a feel for which I liked better for pure shooting. My focus was also on snap shots as my slapper is my best shot and my wrister is fine, so I really want to get the snapper down.

I played the first game with my trusty Ai9 and everything was fine as usual. This stick I usually do not have an issue shooting with and I usually go to it when I'm in a slump. When shooting snappers with this stick, I would use the pull in slightly and then snap the puck as the stick loads. I still have problems getting it consistently or without looking down, but it's improving.

That technique doesn't work so much for the RS2 as the curve is slightly different (both are pro stock sakic clones but the RS2 has a bit more toe and is a bit more open, yet not quite Kreps/E28). When I switched to the RS2, I tried to focus on eliminating the drag motion and speeding up the release by just snapping only the last 1/3 of the blade (off the toe basically).

Once I got the timing down, my shot was much quicker, and much more accurate than before, even trying to just focus on the target and not looking down at the puck. I know that eliminating the extra step probably helped with timing, but the shot was much better than the shots I would get off with the Ai9. In addition to the snap, I also tried to better the timing in my weight transfer to get more energy loaded. I started sniping left and right in the second game and could definitely see a noticeable difference.

Conceptually, I would lean forward and in to my stick using friction caused from the toe of the blade being slightly behind the puck (like the E28 video about shooting off the toe) so that when the blade made contact with the puck, the energy is already ready to be released like a slap shot. This also enabled me to feel the loading of the RS2 more consistently and on each shot, which is something I wasn't really able to do before, unless it was dumb luck.

I already can't wait to try it out in a game and get that first game snipe in a while.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfr4u View Post
most leagues should have stop time in the third period. at least according to USAHockey.
This is a pretty casual rec league...no big deal. I'd be ticked off if I was paying bigger league fees though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitbtw View Post
I had stopped working on shooting for a long time at pickups or before games in order to improve my overall game and not focus on goals.
I did this last year and it completely backfired

Having a hard time visualizing your shots...so you were previously dragging the puck, then leaning and snapping? Now you are just snapping?

One thing, I dunno if it's just mental or not, but with whippier/high kick sticks, I like to lean into shots more, whereas with stiffer/low kick sticks, it's more just getting rid of the puck. There's the tradeoff of power vs quick release. But I think quick release is probably the way to go.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:37 PM
esidebill

Time for another nightly pick up hockey in under 5 hours. Oh boy!

Old
04-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
This is a pretty casual rec league...no big deal. I'd be ticked off if I was paying bigger league fees though.

I did this last year and it completely backfired

Having a hard time visualizing your shots...so you were previously dragging the puck, then leaning and snapping? Now you are just snapping?

One thing, I dunno if it's just mental or not, but with whippier/high kick sticks, I like to lean into shots more, whereas with stiffer/low kick sticks, it's more just getting rid of the puck. There's the tradeoff of power vs quick release. But I think quick release is probably the way to go.
Exactly. Well, at least the was the difference between the technique i used for mid and low kick respectively. I need to also try just snapping with the mid and see how that goes.

In one motion I'm loading and snapping the puck. I'm out of my phase where I'd learn something new and then buy a new stick to try a differen flex/curve options so I may consider going up slightly in flex to see what difference it makes when one of my sticks break.

Basically like the video below, except also incorporating shooting off the toe and having a bit more heel off the ice when loading. I found that if I just drove hard through the puck and toward my target, it created the increase in power and accuracy. The metaphoric light bulb went off.

When the RS2 breaks, I'm most likely going to try out the E28/Kreps in a pro stock because the curve I have now seems like a Sakic/Kreps hybrid.

Last edited by Splitbtw: 04-11-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
04-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Ah. Yeah, this year I tried to shoot from the toe more and it screwed me up big time. I think the reason is that I like to shoot from closer to a puck carrying position with more horizontal shoulders, not from a more vertical shoulder (like Kessel there). So I was getting flutter and inaccuracy.

I still think the curve and rocker of the Sakic is messing me up. Ideally I'd find a mid-heel curve that is not quite as open as the Drury. I might have to bite the bullet and buy a P106 blade (they don't make them in intermediates).

Old
04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I ended up drawing a very crude sketch of the difference I tried to make in the angle in which my toe comes down and starts the loading process. I couldn't get it to load from my ipad, so I'll try to explain it.

If 0 degree is a complete horizontal sweep of the puck and 90 degrees is coming straight down on the puck, I increased the steepness in which I was striking the ice and doing so just behind the puck similar to a slapshot. By the time I push the blade through while still going down at an angle, the lie on the toe would align so the puck didn't flutter or come off at an angle.

Old
04-16-2013, 08:59 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Third game, third goal last night. And I wasn't cheap shotted which was good. My knee still hurts from last week. Had lots of good shots but the goalie kept stopping them, except for one that hit the blocker and still trickled in.

Felt a little bad because I could walk around some of their guys easily but each team seems to have a few ringers and we still ended up with a tie game.

Used my Drury curve which was pretty good, but I may try my Forsberg next week. I rarely like to use neutral or closed curves but I might have to experiment for a couple weeks to see if it makes me better overall. I kept getting under passes too much and ruined a few good chances for my linemates. And our goalie kept telling me to shoot lower to get some rebounds.

Although I'm going to feel that 10pm ice time today...and the post-game beers.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:59 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Third game, third goal last night. And I wasn't cheap shotted which was good. My knee still hurts from last week. Had lots of good shots but the goalie kept stopping them, except for one that hit the blocker and still trickled in.

Felt a little bad because I could walk around some of their guys easily but each team seems to have a few ringers and we still ended up with a tie game.

Used my Drury curve which was pretty good, but I may try my Forsberg next week. I rarely like to use neutral or closed curves but I might have to experiment for a couple weeks to see if it makes me better overall. I kept getting under passes too much and ruined a few good chances for my linemates. And our goalie kept telling me to shoot lower to get some rebounds.

Although I'm going to feel that 10pm ice time today...and the post-game beers.
I had a time where I went back to a neutral curve which was the same time I stopped working on shooting. I thought it helped get a fresh take.

I had my first game since working on shooting on Sunday. Only had one opportunity for a snipe and I didn't disappoint. Short-handed, I collected a puck rimming around the boards and chipped it by the pinching defenseman and off I was. Had it not also been my first game in new skates (had a public session beforehand to break them in; also switched from vapors to supremes), I would have easily had a breakaway. Instead, I came down the right side as I saw the defender going center to cut me off. I saw I had no help as we were short-handed. At this point I had one hand on the stick pushing the puck, found an opening high glove (goofy goalie), and in one motion I brought the puck back in across my body to a shooting position and fired placing it right where I wanted for the snipe from just about inside the top of the circle.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I had probably 6 or 7 very good shots on goal, all high, going blocker and glove side. He got in front of all of them, although one trickled through and a couple made for nice rebounds. I wonder if I took all those shots low if I'd be doing any better.

It almost feels like I want to score up high, so I shoot up high, but they get stopped, and then I feel even more resolved to beat the goalie up high, so I keep chasing and chasing that shot, even if it's not there. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

The one year I had 20 goals, I had a number of them going low, not on purpose, but I'd see an opening around the legs. I don't see those openings anymore, but maybe I'm not looking for them as much.

Anyways, if there's a time to experiment, it's now in this league.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
I had probably 6 or 7 very good shots on goal, all high, going blocker and glove side. He got in front of all of them, although one trickled through and a couple made for nice rebounds. I wonder if I took all those shots low if I'd be doing any better.

It almost feels like I want to score up high, so I shoot up high, but they get stopped, and then I feel even more resolved to beat the goalie up high, so I keep chasing and chasing that shot, even if it's not there. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.

The one year I had 20 goals, I had a number of them going low, not on purpose, but I'd see an opening around the legs. I don't see those openings anymore, but maybe I'm not looking for them as much.

Anyways, if there's a time to experiment, it's now in this league.
They say the best places to shoot (if you're looking to score) are mid height on either side... right above the pad and under the arms. I've only scored a couple of goals there as I hardly ever intentionally shoot there... but it makes sense if you think about it. You have more room for error if your accuracy is off because if you shoot too high you're still hitting the net and if you shoot too low you're probably going to get a rebound. Also, I find that most lower level beer-league goalies get handcuffed easily if you shoot UNDER their arm as opposed to over their shoulder.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:24 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Went shopping for a new set of hockey pants and came back empty handed.

Old
04-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
They say the best places to shoot (if you're looking to score) are mid height on either side... right above the pad and under the arms. I've only scored a couple of goals there as I hardly ever intentionally shoot there... but it makes sense if you think about it. You have more room for error if your accuracy is off because if you shoot too high you're still hitting the net and if you shoot too low you're probably going to get a rebound. Also, I find that most lower level beer-league goalies get handcuffed easily if you shoot UNDER their arm as opposed to over their shoulder.
Yeah that's another thing, a lot of the goalies in this league are short, don't drop into proper butterfly, and are very active with their gloves and blockers. It's really strange because almost every goalie I've played against drops to butterfly right away.

I'll be swapping the blade tonight...

Old
04-16-2013, 06:36 PM
gosinger

...finished mounting my LS2 on my Vapor X7.0 using T-nuts and bolts. Previous (pro-stock) owner mounted ICMs after having an larger LS2, so the holes were too big to go with rivets. Will make a pretty decent backup skate for next season

Old
04-17-2013, 08:06 AM
Frankie Spankie

First week of the playoffs was this morning in my men's league. In this particular league, the #1 team can pick who they play in the playoffs. They picked us, despite not being the worst team in the league. We were missing 2 of our best players (one forward and one PMD,) as well as our goalie. Granted, our fill in goalie played really well, but they were also missing their two worst players who they keep complaining about.

We won, 6-4, and they all went to the lobby after the game complaining about our sub goalie, oddly quiet about them missing their two worst players and us missing our two best. Meanwhile, they weren't passing the puck, they were firing shots wide that wrapped around the boards and into their own end over and over and over. Surely, it's not their fault they lost. Surely, it's not the fault of the guy who has a laser but no accuracy at all and when the guy who runs the league traded him once he refused to play for another team because he wanted to play with his friends who want to have a team of ringers. They used to have the worst goalie but after many complaints they get the 2nd best goalie in the league.

Oh man, I felt like Cartman in the episode with Scott Tennerman of South Park, let me taste your tears!! I'm not one to take the game seriously, yes, I'm competitive on the ice, but I don't come up with excuses and am fine with losing a game nor do I really make a big deal about a win. But man, is it always sweet to beat a team that takes the game way too seriously.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:35 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Put the Forsberg in the old TPS shaft, sprayed the whole deal gloss black, ready to go for next week. Haven't used a closed blade in probably 3+ years...

Old
04-17-2013, 11:25 PM
TheeNorthStar

Today I.. probably had the best game of my life..

Although it was Pickup hockey (Meh)

Netted 5 goals and had an Assist. No idea who these guys were too. Everyone was the same level as well.. Just one of those night where evrything was going right. Had so much fun. And it was my first pickup game at my "home" rink.. meaning a rink close to my house and where my HS used to play at. (I, myself Never played in HS)

Ahhh.. 5Gs 1A 6PTS ...

It was a good night.

Last edited by TheeNorthStar: 04-17-2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old
04-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Fixed to Ruin
Come wit it now!

vCash: 50
Won 2-1 in OT last night in my league game.

Made a massive glove save while shorthanded with about 4 min to go in regulation to preserve the 1-1 score.

Feels good man!

Old
04-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Ozz

...am working all day, flying home in the late afternoon, realizing a forward time zone change, but will thankfully have up to 3 hours to get ready for tonight's game at 11pm. Usually I get between 30-60 minutes from when I arrive at home to when I have to leave for the game, so this is quite welcome. Watch the downtime make me so tired I have an awful game

The rough part is this is on a team that plays in the highest division and it's against one of the toughest teams. They were the defending champs 2 seasons ago and we knocked them out en route to our championship this past season. This is our first rematch since. It will be tough.

Old
04-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
...am working all day, flying home in the late afternoon, realizing a forward time zone change, but will thankfully have up to 3 hours to get ready for tonight's game at 11pm. Usually I get between 30-60 minutes from when I arrive at home to when I have to leave for the game, so this is quite welcome. Watch the downtime make me so tired I have an awful game

The rough part is this is on a team that plays in the highest division and it's against one of the toughest teams. They were the defending champs 2 seasons ago and we knocked them out en route to our championship this past season. This is our first rematch since. It will be tough.
Such a solid game; won 7-3.

Old
04-19-2013, 04:53 PM
ganave

Yeah, maybe goalies are slightly crazy. I play at 6:30 am Friday mornings in Somerville next to Boston..

I live in the Boston metro area, listened to the police radio and basically a running battle through Cambridge to Watertown. As I left my place at 5:00 am it sounded like the basically had the 2nd guy cornered. I take the T, which shut down just after I got to the place and was like... where is everyone else?

Closed Thread