HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Discussion Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
How would Kulikov be a quick fix? He's 22 years old. Other than Jones, Mackinnon, and perhaps Drouin, it is far from certain that the guys who are likely to go in the top-10 end up better pros than he is now, let alone what he might be in his prime. They could, to be sure, but it is hardly guaranteed.

I see Kulikov as having a 2-3 projection, with a floor as a healthy Meszaros (#4) and a ceiling as a Timonen-in-his-prime type (1B defenseman--not a franchise-caliber guy, but someone who can play in all situations at a high level.
Quick fix was a bad choice of words. Kulikov does still have a world of potential. I think he is definitely a 2-3 guy and would gladly trade for him. I just think those 8 players represent top line impact forwards and possibly #1 defensemen. Forwards of that calibre are typically only found in the top 10, top 5 in a normal draft year. Jones and Nurse have more potential than Kulikov IMO. After those 8, if they could get him I would.

Old
04-16-2013, 02:55 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Not with Bryzgalov.

We needed something radical to offset Leighton's suck. We're gonna need it for Bryz too.

That's why I'm saying we either need to do something radical if we're going to stick with him, or we need to abandon ship, particularly where Bryz is concerned; especially where Bryz is concerned.

I don't think buying him out and relying on Mason is a great idea either, but at least it will free up money for re-signings/possibly Bobby Ryan or the like.

Then we have to wait and see on Stolarz.
I say buyout Bryz and possibly Briere, then try and sign some decent UFAs. Roll with Mason + UFA and if we suck at the deadline then deal Hartnell, Coburn, etc...

Old
04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaFlyers View Post
I say buyout Bryz and possibly Briere, then try and sign some decent UFAs. Roll with Mason + UFA and if we suck at the deadline then deal Hartnell, Coburn, etc...
Bryz and Mason are definitely here next year. They will compete for the starting job, and if Bryz loses he's gone. If Mason loses, then he might stay on as back-up or be allowed to walk. If both lose...then I'm out of ideas.

I pretty much expect Briere is done this offseason whether via trade or amnesty.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Quick fix was a bad choice of words. Kulikov does still have a world of potential. I think he is definitely a 2-3 guy and would gladly trade for him. I just think those 8 players represent top line impact forwards and possibly #1 defensemen. Forwards of that calibre are typically only found in the top 10, top 5 in a normal draft year. Jones and Nurse have more potential than Kulikov IMO. After those 8, if they could get him I would.
Nurse has a higher ceiling, but he's much less likely to reach it--and won't have an real impact for 3-4 years (assuming he is brought along properly).

You have to give to get. I wouldn't give up a shot at Jones, Mackinnon, or Drouin for Kulikov, and I'd be reluctant to do it for Barkov either or Nurse (but I think I would). But the potential for Monahan or Lindholm vs. a 22 year old top-4 defenseman with a signficant upside?

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
Simon Gagne ($3.000m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Adam Hall ($0.850m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.750m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Braydon Coburn ($4.500m)
Dmitry Kulikov ($2.500m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Chris Pronger ($4.936m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Steve Mason ($1.500m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,674,881; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $637,619
EDIT: Obviously, we'd need a 7th defenseman there-but that would leave quite a bit of flexibility with Pronger's LTIR.

EDIT #2: Perhaps it would be better to pair Kulikov and Coburn--but I thought I'd reunite the Timonen-Coburn pairing.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:02 PM
BrimFullofAsham45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
I'm not trying to be.

If we're going to rebuild then we need to rebuild.

If we're going to go for it all then we need to go for it all.

Floating around in the middle is not going to help us.
The Flyers are going to be in the "grey area" in terms of rebuilding/contending... just like many teams are going to be and are. We aren't going to jettison all our veteran players just because we've barely had any draft picks in the last 5 years and the cupboard is relatively bare. There's really no need to plan to ice a young and terrible team and collect high draft picks. Teams that do this end up in the cellar for a long, long time and I find it quite disgusting.

I have no problems staying the course with this Flyers roster. We have a dangerous team when we are firing on all cylinders. We need to find the consistency, and that takes time, as well as keeping the roster consistent. Look at how crazy (and mediocre) this league is, any team can make the playoffs and once they do, any team can beat any other team. Every team needs to upgrade their D and is hunting for that extra piece. We're better off being conservative and going with what we have.

Really, there's just not many top defensemen worth going out and getting. Only a guy of Weber's calibre would be capable of putting us over the top and they just aren't on the market, and if they are, they will cost two arms and two legs. Getting a Yandle or Bouwmeester or one of those is just going to give us another middling defender. Getting a Kulikov or a Rundblad or any young guy is a huge risk. Fact is, we have a capable defense when every one is healthy, though I could give up on Coburn and Meszaros.

Whether we pick at 1 or 12 or anywhere in between: I trust the Flyer's scouting staff enough to think we are going to get a good player, defense or forward. They will not be the saviour though, and certainly not immediately, and yes, that includes the vaunted Seth Jones too.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:04 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Nurse has a higher ceiling, but he's much less likely to reach it--and won't have an real impact for 3-4 years (assuming he is brought along properly).
I see a lot of Dougie Hamilton in Darnell Nurse offensively.

Nurse is a little more physical buy a little more rough around the edges.

Nurse and Jones really are the cream of this year's defensive crop. I'd like to have him, but I think he will go off the board before we pick. At that point, it can't hurt to shop our 1st for some badly needed PMD help.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:15 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I can't wait for the 29th so that we will know where we are picking.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:32 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 50
I doubt Florida takes the pick straight up for Kulikov but I don't think we'd have to add too too much else. I would do it if it were Kulikov for the pick + Noebels or something like that

Old
04-16-2013, 03:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I still have a feeling that if Nurse impresses like what Couts did, I could see him staying in the NHL. The only thing I'm afraid of is rushing him.

Old
LetsGoFlyers1825

I'm still very intrigued with Nichushkin after the discussion in this thread about him the other day.

Old
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
I doubt Florida takes the pick straight up for Kulikov but I don't think we'd have to add too too much else. I would do it if it were Kulikov for the pick + Noebels or something like that
Failing Nurse and Jones, I'd be down.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
DeflatedFootball7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
I'm still very intrigued with Nichushkin after the discussion in this thread about him the other day.
Ditto

Old
04-16-2013, 03:35 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
I still have a feeling that if Nurse impresses like what Couts did, I could see him staying in the NHL. The only thing I'm afraid of is rushing him.
If he even falls to the Flyers

Old
04-16-2013, 03:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
If he even falls to the Flyers
Russians fall most of the time, no matter how much hype they get.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Prongo
Beer

It's really a shame we don't have another top pick for this deep draft. Columbus/Calgary(well maybe not calgary because of Feaster) will be able to add some excellent pieces to their prospect pool.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:44 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Most people know Im a huge fan of Risto so here is a look at him (by flyers faithful). Pretty good read and writeup:

Quote:
At 6’3 210 pounds, scouts are salivating over Ristolainen who plays for TPS Turku in the highly competitive Finnish elite league. He’s a calm player with a good two-way ability and he plays beyond his years given his late ’94 birthdate. He moves the puck well and he’s quite mobile given his size. Ristolainen’s strength comes in his defensive game. He utilizes his strength, and positioning, and his long reach to his advantage. He’s not the biggest hitter in the draft, but he plays the body and likes to get physical in front of the net, which is not traditionally the Finnish style of playing hockey.
http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/16...an-seth-jones/

And a video:

Not alot of videos of him BUT no one can hate on that mullet!!

Old
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I will say, Rist really likes to score everything with a wrister.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:46 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Russians fall most of the time, no matter how much hype they get.
Nurse is not Russian, I'm assuming you thought I meant Nichuskhin.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:48 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Nurse is not Russian, I'm assuming you thought I meant Nichuskhin.
Oh sorry, ya thats who I was talking about. Conversation kept on switching

Old
04-16-2013, 03:50 PM
Totally Radivojevic

Ryan Pulock seems to be exactly what the Flyers need. Right-handed defenseman, good skater, good outlet passes, bomb of a shot. This team's biggest problem IMO is their inability to get out of the zone cleanly/transitioning, and they also are currently pretty harmless when it comes to blue line shots.

Sign me up.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:51 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
Ryan Pulock seems to be exactly what the Flyers need. Right-handed defenseman, good skater, good outlet passes, bomb of a shot. This team's biggest problem IMO is their inability to get out of the zone cleanly/transitioning, and they also are currently pretty harmless when it comes to blue line shots.

Sign me up.
I like this guy.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:52 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:

Sign me up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
I like this guy.
Pulock seems to be falling in rankings if Im not mistaken. Don't know why though. My guess is that he struggles in the defensive end though.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:

Sign me up.
I was under the impression that Pulock wasn't really a "plus" skater--and that he had some pretty significant defensive question marks. Is that not the case?

Anyway, I don't think he's projected to go top 10 anymore. If we were to trade back, he might be an option, but it seems like a stretch based on where we sit at the moment.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Pulock seems to be falling in rankings if Im not mistaken. Don't know why though.
I was actually just going to edit my post.

He started out hot as hell. He was playing some really good hockey. I actually saw him play 6-8 times earlier in the year. He was by far the best player on the ice during those games. He seems to have fallen off a little bit here. We see this a lot actually. Players who have strong finishes start to leap frog players who struggle. He hasn't played that badly actully, but just hasn't had the same play from early in the year.

He does make a great first pass though. That shot of his is also amazing. It's a rocket. I personally seen him blow it by a couple goalies. Scouts seem to not like his skating all that much also, but when I saw him he was moving pretty damn well.

I wouldn't mind them also taking a look at his d pair partner Roy. He could be had later in the draft. Fix his skating and he could potentially become a good prospect.

Also Pulock is known for his leadership too. Born leader, which I love. I will take character over raw talent most of the time. That's why I like Pulock more than Zads.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:57 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I was under the impression that Pulock wasn't really a "plus" skater--and that he had some pretty significant defensive question marks. Is that not the case?

Anyway, I don't think he's projected to go top 10 anymore. If we were to trade back, he might be an option, but it seems like a stretch based on where we sit at the moment.
He's not a bad skater, but he's not a great skater either.

That and defensive deficiencies...

I'd much prefer Nurse or Jones. Pulock is slick with the puck though. He's probably my 3rd choice from this draft; not because he's the third best defenseman, but because he fills a need much better...

Well, that and because he's proven what he is in the last 3 seasons. He's been a marquee player for a bit already and is only now draft eligible.

Closed Thread