HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Confirmed Details of 2013 CBA & CBA Questions (Merged)

Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2013, 05:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBeerGeek View Post
Do players demoted to the AHL still have to physically report?

A team trades a draft pick for a rental, and in order to fit him onto the 23 man roster, reassigns an ELC to the AHL, with the expectation they'll return to the NHL team after the deadline. Does that player still have to report to the AHL team? If so, could they still be assigned to the ECHL if that happened to be closer?
They can be "on the way" when the recall is made. For instance, if the player is at the airport waiting to board the plane, he could be recalled.

Only players on ELS deals can be assigned to ECHL. (Other players can only be assigned to ECHL with their permission.)

The Sharks assigned a player to their (relatively) local ECHL affiliate one trade deadline a few years ago.

Old
04-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Does spending time on IR count as an accrued season towards UFA?

I ask because the Flames just recalled Baertschi.

He's played 10 games for the Flames this year. He spent 11 games on the injury list.

I know the definition of an accrued season this lockout shortened season is 23 games on the ''roster''. Not games played.

If IR time counts, then the Flames are burning 1 of their 7 years of control on Baerstchi as soon as 2 games go by. Which means he could be a UFA at age 26 instead of 27.

Old
04-07-2013, 02:56 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Yep, counts towards an accrued season.

From the 2005 CBA:
Quote:
"Accrued Season" means any League Year during which a Player was on
a Club's Active Roster for 40 (30 if the Player is a goalie) or more Regular Season Games,
provided that, for the purposes of calculating an Accrued Season under this Agreement,
games missed due to a hockey-related injury incurred while on a Club's Active Roster
shall count as games played for purposes of calculating an Accrued Season but only
during the League Year in which the injury was incurred and a maximum of one
additional season

Old
04-07-2013, 05:32 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post

I ask because the Flames just recalled Baertschi.

He's played 10 games for the Flames this year. He spent 11 games on the injury list.

I know the definition of an accrued season this lockout shortened season is 23 games on the ''roster''. Not games played.

If IR time counts, then the Flames are burning 1 of their 7 years of control on Baerstchi as soon as 2 games go by. Which means he could be a UFA at age 26 instead of 27.
I believe that that doesn't matter, since Baertschi is not a teenage aged player. Despite his 2011 draft year, the fact that he was a late birthday means that this is his 20 year old year anyways. So in reality they are not burning a year, since he only has 7 years of RFA status left.

mouser can you confirm that? Ages is my weakest point of CBA understanding (evidenced by my recent Trouba mistake which mouser pointed out on the Jets forum).

Old
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I believe that that doesn't matter, since Baertschi is not a teenage aged player. Despite his 2011 draft year, the fact that he was a late birthday means that this is his 20 year old year anyways. So in reality they are not burning a year, since he only has 7 years of RFA status left.

mouser can you confirm that? Ages is my weakest point of CBA understanding (evidenced by my recent Trouba mistake which mouser pointed out on the Jets forum).
They are burning a year. Thanks mouser.

Year 1: 19-20 (this season)
Year 2: 20-21
Year 3: 21-22
Year 4: 22-23
Year 5: 23-24
Year 6: 24-25
Year 7: 25-26

He'll be a UFA at age 26 if he's up for at least 40 games per year from this point on.

Old
04-07-2013, 06:35 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post

Player age for ELC signing purposes and UFA are defined differently.

Looking through the facts on Baertschi I think this is all correct:
- Born Oct 5th, 1992
- Drafted in 2011, signing shortly after the draft, considered 18 year old signee.
- ELC contract slid in 2011-2012.
- The 2012-2013 season is his 19 year old season, however his ELC contract was not eligible to slide in 2012-2013 due to Baertschi turning 20 between Sep 15th and Dec 31st of 2012.
- Calgary is scheduled to own his rights until either July 1st 2020 (age 27) or he accrues 7 NHL seasons.
- Baertschi could reach 7 accrued seasons by July 1st 2019 if he receives one this season.
- He was on the Calgary NHL roster for 49 days so far during the regular season
* Recalled from AHL on 1/13
* 1/13 to 3/8 -- 22 NHL games
* Sent to AHL on 3/9
* Recalled from AHL again on 4/7

Looks to me if the 23 game accrued season limit is accurate (haven't looked that one up, wasn't in the MOU) then Baertschi will record an accrued NHL season if he's still on the team roster tomorrow afternoon.

Old
04-16-2013, 11:52 AM
StringerBell

Is there anyone who could confirm for me that before a player can be amnestied this summer he has to pass through waivers first? If so, thanks for your help, but if not, thanks for nothing!

Old
04-16-2013, 12:00 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Is there anyone who could confirm for me that before a player can be amnestied this summer he has to pass through waivers first? If so, thanks for your help, but if not, thanks for nothing!
Yes, he has to pass through waivers first, unless the player has a No Movement Clause--then the player has the choice whether or not to be placed on waivers before the team can buy him out.

Old
04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
Yes, he has to pass through waivers first, unless the player has a No Movement Clause--then the player has the choice whether or not to be placed on waivers before the team can buy him out.
Thank you!

Old
04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
RandR

If a player on an entry-level contract is still playing in the AHL or CHL and gets called up to his NHL team to replace an injured regular, do those games count against the 10 game limit?

I thought that although Sven Baertschi played 15 games for the Calgary Flames last year, the Flames didn't have to burn a year of his ELC because he had played the extra games due to injuries to NHL regulars on the Flames. (I seem to recall some other NHL teams making a fuss about him staying up with the Flames so long.)

I ask because last night Nathan Beaulieu played his 6th game this season for the Canadiens. However, I think his most recent callup from the AHL happened when Emelin was injured and Beaulieu was called up to replace him.

And since Emelin is out for the year, does that mean Beaulieu can play the rest of the regular season on the Canadiens without burning the first year of his ELC?

Old
04-16-2013, 02:05 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
saw this last night, forgot about it given the events in boston.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 17h
NHL and NHLPA agreed on the language of the new CBA last week. #RDS
Now its a matter of compiling and printing comprehensive versions of the CBA. It will take probably another month or so. #NHL #NHLPA #RDS

04-16-2013, 03:49 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandR View Post
If a player on an entry-level contract is still playing in the AHL or CHL and gets called up to his NHL team to replace an injured regular, do those games count against the 10 game limit?
Yes. Being on Emergency Recall has no effect on the 10 game limit to burn a year off an ELS SPC. If they play 9(*) or less games their contract slides. If they play 10 or more, it doesn't and they burn the year.

(*) Reportedly prorated to 5 games this year due to the shortened season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old CBA Article 9.1(d)(i)
(d) (i) In the event that an 18 year old or 19 year old Player signs an SPC
with a Club but does not play at least ten (10) NHL Games in the first season under that
SPC, the term of his SPC and his number of years in the Entry Level System shall be
extended for a period of one (1) year
, except that this automatic extension will not apply
to a Player who is 19 according to Section 9.2 by virtue of turning 20 between September
16 and December 31 in the year in which he first signs an SPC. Unless a Player and Club
expressly agree to the contrary, in the event a Player's SPC is extended an additional year
in accordance with this subsection, all terms of the SPC, with the exception of Signing
Bonuses, but including Paragraph 1 Salary, games played bonuses and Exhibit 5 bonuses,
shall be extended; provided, however, that the Player's Paragraph 1 Salary shall be
extended in all circumstances.
There is no exception for games under Emergency Recall.

I see nothing in the new NHL/NHLPA CBA MOU which would change that.

Old
04-16-2013, 04:41 PM
RandR

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
Yes. Being on Emergency Recall has no effect on the 10 game limit to burn a year off an ELS SPC. If they play 9(*) or less games their contract slides. If they play 10 or more, it doesn't and they burn the year.

(*) Reportedly prorated to 5 games this year due to the shortened season.

There is no exception for games under Emergency Recall.

I see nothing in the new NHL/NHLPA CBA MOU which would change that.
Thanks kdb.

I guess the fuss that was being made about Baertshi last year was because the Flames kept him as an Emergency Recall from junior for such a long time.

Old
04-16-2013, 06:14 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
This somewhat bothers be in combination with the cap recapture. I mean, the team intends to amnesty them, but instead gets put at risk for a cap recap? Double jeopardy.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:36 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
What are the rules on amnesty? People have referred to a TSN article saying that it has to be 3mil or greater, but I thought that was just for the early amnesty clause that was brought in for Redden/Gomez. Could've sworn the reason for 3mil at the time was because players under 3mil would more then likely not get another contract in the NHL.

Old
04-17-2013, 11:14 AM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
What are the rules on amnesty? People have referred to a TSN article saying that it has to be 3mil or greater, but I thought that was just for the early amnesty clause that was brought in for Redden/Gomez. Could've sworn the reason for 3mil at the time was because players under 3mil would more then likely not get another contract in the NHL.
There are no salary restrictions on Compliance Buy-Outs during the '13 & '14 off seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL/NHLPA CBA MOU
During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2014).

Old
04-17-2013, 11:36 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

The only thing that looks like it might be different this time around with the amnesty buyouts is that the MOU language suggests they're paid out over 2x the remaining length of the contract, like ordinary buyouts. Whereas the 2005 Compliance buyouts were paid out over the remaining length of the contract (not 2x).

Old
04-17-2013, 12:47 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Mouser, if I understand your post correctly, I think the aggregate it refers to is the remaining salary on when you elect to execute the buyout (aggregate remaining salary if CBO done in 2013 ~or~ 2014), like in '05... not at 2x the remaining length of the contract.

Focusing in on the "in the aggregate over the two (2) years" = During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season.

Old
04-17-2013, 02:40 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
Mouser, if I understand your post correctly, I think the aggregate it refers to is the remaining salary on when you elect to execute the buyout (aggregate remaining salary if CBO done in 2013 ~or~ 2014), like in '05... not at 2x the remaining length of the contract.

Focusing in on the "in the aggregate over the two (2) years" = During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season.
No. That aggregate qualifies the number of Compliance Buy-Outs immediately before it "up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) " - a total of 2 over those two years.

It's clear that the terms are the same as for regular buyouts - which, as Mouser noted, is different from 2005 - except for the cap hits - "Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap"

Old
04-17-2013, 04:25 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
have the rookie/ELC maximum salaries been revealed yet?

Old
04-17-2013, 04:53 PM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb209 View Post
No. That aggregate qualifies the number of Compliance Buy-Outs immediately before it "up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) " - a total of 2 over those two years.

It's clear that the terms are the same as for regular buyouts - which, as Mouser noted, is different from 2005 - except for the cap hits - "Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap"
So it is x2 then, correct?

Old
04-18-2013, 12:16 AM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
So it is x2 then, correct?
Yeah, according to the MOU the compliance buyouts will be just like ordinary buyouts [except having no cap hit] which are paid out over 2x the remaining years of the contract. One minor note is that the compliance buyout payments will be counted towards the player share of HRR.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:55 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
On the compliance buyouts, are they to happen during the same time period as regular buyouts?

Old
04-30-2013, 02:50 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
On the compliance buyouts, are they to happen during the same time period as regular buyouts?
Yes. (Except the special cases of Gomez and Redden who would have been sat by previous teams for season rather than risk injury.)

Old
04-30-2013, 06:16 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

vCash: 256
Cap floor and retirement

So over on the Senators board we were having a discussion as to how bad we would be if Spezza decided to retire due to his back (he's having a very rough time now as per the rumours)

Someone brought up a very salient point: we would be nowhere near the cap floor if this were to happen.

I was just wondering if there are any provisions in the CBA in situations where a huge contract stops counting against the cap due to unforseen circumstances and the team can't conceivably become cap compliant in a short time frame (say the decision to retire is made not long before the start of the season)

Thanks!

EDIT: Whoops! I now see there is a CBA Questions thread. Mods if you could merge this thread into that one it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Do Make Say Think: 04-30-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Closed Thread